Any good mountain biking on Oahu, Hawaii???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any good mountain biking on Oahu, Hawaii???

im not looking to get on one of the many bike tours they have set up for wads, but something challenging and technical

i'd have to rent, so if you know of a good shop for that could get me set up id appreciate any details

mtbr member
    woops, just realized that there is indeed a Hawaii forum. Ill check over there.

but still if anyone has been recently and knows the skinny on good stuff over there Id appreciate it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Being one of the few Hawaii Local in the NorCal board, here are some 411.

Hook up with Pineapple Bob (mtbr screen name). He works for Boca Hawaii which rents mountain bikes. Also try my old employer The Bike shop. They rent really nice Kona and Specialized.

Trail wise, most local trails are East coast style roots and mud. On average more technical than most norcal trails with a lot more push a bike sections. Stuffs like Aiea Loop or Maunawili are going to be way over most mainlander care for.

If you want to minimize your stopping and walking, try these trails. Royal Summit in Aiea. Millilani in the central island, Peacock flat in North Shore (Big climb at the start though), Kualoa Ranch (Pay per ride). Kahuku motocross track north shore.

For a flat and easy trail that has great ocean cliff view, try Kaena point on the extreme north end of the island. Flat the whole way. Btw, dont waste time at Barnfield Raging isle bike shop. They stop selling bikes there and is now a surf/boutique shop.

If you are into dh, then Makakilo has some nice dh race trails. Also St. Louis Ht next to University of Hawaii used to be a world cup DH trail back in the late 90s.

PM me with your ability and the type of riding you want to do and I can send you off to the right place. What month are you going?
    Last edited by Loll; 10-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    PM sent, Loll. thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Loll just found this thread, My girflfriend and I are headed out there next week. We are bringing our all mtn bikes, and hoping you could share some of the 411. Just snet you a PM

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hey all - I'll be back on Oahu from the Dec 8-14, so we'll be riding for sure. Let me know what size bike you need and I may be able to save you a few bucks on the rental which you could then spend on "refreshments" for the post ride pm me

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

You Betcha!!!

Some of the best biking I have ever expirienced was in Oahu. I posted a writeup of it here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...24#post6370824

We did 3 trails in 1 day and it was very doable. Highly recomend you have a local take you on the tour as some of the trails are a bit remote.

I also recomend Ragin Isle Bike Shop for you bike and map and info needs,, they rock.

You will enjoy the trails there, unlike any other on earth.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Some of the best biking I have ever expirienced was in Oahu. I posted a writeup of it here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...24#post6370824

We did 3 trails in 1 day and it was very doable. Highly recomend you have a local take you on the tour as some of the trails are a bit remote.

I also recomend Ragin Isle Bike Shop for you bike and map and info needs,, they rock.

You will enjoy the trails there, unlike any other on earth.

We definitely have some great rides, but Raging Isle on the good ole north shore is no longer a purveyor of mountain bikes - Bill Barnfield's been out of that business for a little while now. You can rent mtb's at The Bike Shop - pricey, or go to Boca Hawaii and try your luck there - not an mtb specialty shop, though.
    Last edited by pineapplebob; 12-02-2009 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplebob
    Hey all - I'll be back on Oahu from the Dec 8-14, so we'll be riding for sure. Let me know what size bike you need and I may be able to save you a few bucks on the rental which you could then spend on "refreshments" for the post ride pm me

Cool We'll be there from the Dec 6-12. We are bringing our all mtn bikes renting a cheap car and staying in a grass shack thingy for $40 a night over by the Poly Cultural Center . I lived on the island back in 99-98 for about a yr and got to sample a few of the goods when I was there. Our plans are to do the Sunday shuttle at Waimea on the 6th, then in between surfing, and snorkeling, get at least one all day epic in ( I think there is one 20 mile + ride over by the moto ranch?). Then split some days up btwn riding and other activities with rides such as the Aiea Loop, St Louis Heights, and a ride I vaguely remember on top of the Pali Hwy. Anyway I sent Loll a pm and if anyone else has suggestions on good rides let me know!

mtbr member

St Louis Heights!!!!

ill chime in since i was just there and had a blast.

on Loll's advice i rented from "the bike shop" and hit St. Louis Heights (pretty sure this was the only rental option). yeah it was pricey but the trails i got on were free and amazing so I really feel like i got my $'s worth

st. louis heights has some SERS downhill. many great trail options from the top. jumps, drops, very technical rocky sections, berms, etc... i still have not been to whistler,north*, or mammoth but i would imagine this stuff would be very comparable. plus you are biking at the top of a hill overlooking waikiki and the ocean...just beautiful

there is a bus that takes you back up, but being fool hardy and not knowing how long i'd have to wait for it i decided to pedal back up...2x. it was hot and miserable climbing but at least i got a workout with my thrills

there are a bunch of other spots on the island that seem to also be very good, and proly much tamer than St. Louis but after that day I had my fill for the week and didnt want to spend any more time away from my fam, but im sure you could do a full week of biking there if you wanted

mtbr member
    I'm on the windward side (kahaluu) so we can definitely hook up for some riding. PM me some contact info so I can give you a call when I get back into town. Robert

mtbr member
    May 2006
    tootriky, i just pm you back. Hopefully the three trails will serve you well.

Hi Pineapple Bob, hope you are ok with me keep referring people to you since I only remember you and one or two others that are active in the hawaii forum as well.

St Louis rocks, so does Makakilo DH if they still have it. Also Kahuku moto track is a third place if they are open for DH riding.

Air Pirate
    Just got back from a week on Oahu myself. Thought about renting, saw the prices, was too much to fly my bike in, figured I would get in a lot of hiking anyway for the exercise, so I rented a Yamaha R6 and had fun that way. My bro in law in Hauula wanted me to ride motorcycles anyway, and I had a great time on some of the roads there. Next trip in spring will probably see me on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    St. Louis Heights rules, I rented a bike from The Bike Shop, Caught the 14 bus to the top. The trail is technical and fun, Stay Left!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So, i just saw this post and thought i would send a PM to bob, but since im a new user im shut out. Maybe someone will catch me on the thread here...

Good morning all,
    Saw your posts on here so thought i would get involved.
    Headed down that way with my GF 4/7-16 and since i havent been able to do any riding up here (alaska) in the last 4-5 months i was thinking of getting my fix down there.

Looked at a few videos, looks like St. Louis is pretty rowdy, kinda right up my alley. I like technical sngltrack and DH. Still working on hitting the bigger jumps and gaps, but im game to take a look at anything. Was thinking about taking a day to go play, we will be staying for a week or so in the HNL area with friends and probably a weekend up north shore area. My GF is good for some riding too, but not quite into the same extremes i am, so not sure if i would be best off just taking a day and playing on my own or if there were rides that might suit both of our abilities. Its always more fun to have someone to share the experiences with anyway.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -A

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Ariel

Are you on FB? We have a page called Oahu Trail Conditions and Group Rides, where you can definitely get more folks to help you out. I'd be happy to take you and your lady on some North Shore rides or anywhere else for that matter, but I won't have my April schedule for another week. Otherwise, I will get you my email somehow.

Robert aka pineapplebob

mtbr member
    I had a frickin' blast in Oahu! Try to connect with emptybe_er...his crew knows how to party and they are ****ing great tour guides.

I am probably in the minority here but I rode St. Louis and wasn't a huge fan. It's good but if you're riding solo or not comfy with expert level stuff it'll bite. I ride pretty expert **** and have hit Whistler many, many years in a row and it ain't no whistler by a long shot. (no disrespect here...just saying). If you do go, bring pads and a couple spare inner tubes. My hunch is that this place is better played out by people who live there and can session the lines to get comfy. I couldn't find my groove and being solo was pretty intimidated with some of the hits and chunk (especially with wife and kids expecting me home with skin intact. Salt water and road rash not fun) And finally, the runs are short (at least the ones I found and if you miss the bus or don't have a shuttle, she is a MONSTER of a climb to get back to top. Anyhow, enough dissing St. Louis but if I could've done it over, I would have skipped it.

Howevah, the island has some great riding. I actually found a trail that's not on any map or known by anyone I hooked up with but it was pretty sick with lots of ladders, berms, and such - no idea how to tell you how to get there as it was just a random fireroad that start a couple blocks away from where I stayed. I digress. I found the North Shore to be tame but wicked fun especially being on vacation where you probably want to avoid a trip to the ER. Insanely cool terrain, nice ST descents, great dirt, great views...pretty fun all day riding destination. A guide will help you big time here. I also really dug Royal Summit...was killer because you can't really get lost so good for a solo adventure and there are a lot of different ways down the hill for variety sake (the locals are sick of the place but suited my needs as I was close.) There are like 4 or 5 different descents all moderate to semi expert so I just did intervals. I think I still have some KOMs there.

I can't wait to go back!
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should detract my St. Louis a little and say if you are a really good and confident rider than you should go there...it is really well built by some talented trail builders for sure.

Here's a stupid vid I made while in Royal...I dug that place:

Fun ride in paradise on Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys,
    Some good info to get started. Im trying to decide if its worth schlepping our bikes over there. Probably would be cheaper than multiple rentals. Only place I saw that had some quality bikes was the bike shop, and they were around $80/day?!?

Zon, link wouldnt go through to the other thread?

Bob, would love to meet up with someone for a little local knowledge rides up on the north shore

Squash, nice video. Looks like fun. If you wanna see some AK rides look me up under RELspot on youtube. (newbies cant post on here...whaaa) And thanks for teasing me with the 'Greatest ride everr!!' but you cant tell me where its at! haha.

mtbr member
    Haha...not trying to be a dick but I honestly have no idea how to get you there. I just found a gate in the middle of this neighborhood and it just happened to be a place where the neighborhood kids were building stealth trail I guess. It was way more of an adventure than the best trail ever. I brought my bike and was glad I did though it was like $300 and they dinged my baby in the transport. grrr.

Air Pirate
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ariel, As Squashyo said, you need to hit Royal Summit. It is about a third of Carlmont. I too did a bunch of back to back run as it was super close to home. I haven't rode St. Louis in years, but I know they built many more jumps there now. There are a few ways to get down. Do take it easy, no sense going to hospital while on vacation.

I took one of my old beater down there and it went ok. Hawaiian airline charged about 100 bucks. Bring your own vs renting...major dif. is that you are already used to the geo on your bike if trying some of the features.

There are two other places that you might want to see if Pineapple Bob knows well. One is the Makakilo Downhill race course, and the second is an AM/Enduro place call Mililani.

Feel free to PM me for more info. I grow up riding and racing there.

Members who have read this thread: 0