Any feedback on Kirkwood- Mtbr.com
    Flyin Canine

Any feedback on Kirkwood

I have been to Northstar in Tahoe and it's great. Kirkwood also has lift accessed mtn biking but their website has very little info. Has anyone been there? How is the riding and chairlift setup compare to other ski resorts?

mtbr member

I haven't ridden there...

http://www.kirkwood.com/mountainbiking.shtml

but I've skied and hiked there. The two lifts service mostly beginner ski terrain. They don't really go to the top of the mountain like Wagonwheel or Sunrise. I stopped by the Adventure Center once, but the riding didn't look too appealing, so I went on to Tahoe and rode Toad's. Give us a report if you do it.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I have been to Northstar in Tahoe and it's great. Kirkwood also has lift accessed mtn biking but their website has very little info. Has anyone been there? How is the riding and chairlift setup compare to other ski resorts?
    As Zignzag stated, Kirkwood's lifts only access the lower part of the mountain. Nothing even close to the level that Northstar has.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001

Small Operation

Kirkwood is definately a small operation, compared to their ski business and especially compared to Northstar, they use two lifts and have about 25 miles of trails, mostly smooth singletrack with some high speed sections (Boys Scout), some tech (Whiskey Shots).

Advantages are it's cheaper ($20) and smaller lines (IF any).

I go once a year because I like how quiet is.

Here's a few pics, to give ya an idea.

OLE!
    Aaron G.

Photo's:

Steve M (Ride Buddy) existing out of Whiskey Shots
    Me on the upper trail coming of the lift (Forget the name of trail)
    Same trail looking up the hill from the lift.
    Same trail looking down the hill from the lift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Absurd
    What's up man!?!? I've never hit up kirkwood, but I've heard it's kinda lame. Make sure to send me a pm or something if you're gonna be headed up to N* any time soon! We gotta get Rob up there!! Have you been up this year at all?

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    What's up man!?!? I've never hit up kirkwood, but I've heard it's kinda lame. Make sure to send me a pm or something if you're gonna be headed up to N* any time soon! We gotta get Rob up there!! Have you been up this year at all?
    Haven't been up yet. I just put the Z150 on the front and am waiting for the rear shock to come back from Push. It should be here this week and then I'll be ready to ride.

Flyin Canine
    Thanks for the pics Aaron. That actually looks like it might be just what we are looking for. We are headed up to whistler in late july and northstar sometime this summer and looking for a warm up place to make sure the newly built bikes are setup right and work out the final bugs and stuff. Is that log in the second pic a jump or a crib wall?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001

A Jump

Thanks for the pics Aaron. That actually looks like it might be just what we are looking for. We are headed up to whistler in late july and northstar sometime this summer and looking for a warm up place to make sure the newly built bikes are setup right and work out the final bugs and stuff. Is that log in the second pic a jump or a crib wall?

That's a jump, pretty much the only "drop" that I've seem up there. There are a few jumps on the more fireroadie section too.

Using Kirkwood as a warm up would be smart idea. Less $$ and no lines. And if anything goes wrong on any of your rides, no big deal.

I plan on going up there the 18th. Soonest I could get up there. Hoping to Hit N* the weekend after that.

-OLE!
    Aaron G.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."