Another thanks to some Truckee area riders playing tour guide.- Mtbr.com
    wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Another thanks to some Truckee area riders playing tour guide.

A friend and I took a spontaneous trip to Truckee Saturday morning. I needed to break in the new rig picked up Thursday and explore the trails around Jackass. Got to the trailhead around 12ish and began pedaling. On the way up I remembered a few other trails but didn’t remember the details except for the long climb up past the logging co.
    At the intersection for Jackass and Option 2 we ran into a father son team pedaling up to Jackass. They were not familiar with the Option 2 trail head either but at that point 2 more riders from Reno came by and they were heading to Option 2 and were willing to lead the way. Now, Option2 is a reasonably well known trail but is technically unofficial…. hence my not naming it on this forum. Those more in the know, will understand what trail I’m talking about.
    Our new friends took all 4 of us up to the trail head and graciously waited for the slow, lowlanders to arrive. They then took the time to wait for us at trail junctions! We had a blast banging out about 16.5 miles with a massive amount of flowy, techy downhill.

Big thanks to MTB types willing to take the time and share the local goods. I know we slowed you down a bit.

My only picture is top of the main climb. Was too busy riding to take other pics.

Another thanks to some Truckee area riders playing tour guide.-img_1189.jpg
    Don't harsh my mello

NedwannaB
    I love those alleged trails you werent inferring too!
    Nice looking rig too!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Going to make a trip to North Tahoe (only been to South side once) in the coming weeks.

If you had to do one trail, what would it be? Currently I have Big Chief penciled in. Intend to do Freel Peak on the other day that I'm there.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Lots of fun options, depending on what you prefer. If you've never ridden north side and you'd like a wonderfully scenic ride, you cannot go wrong by doing this: https://flumetrailtahoe.com/tahoe-ri...e-description/. On some parts of the trail you can look down into Nevada and Tahoe from the rim.
    This is an annual event with a couple friends. We take the shuttle and ride the full loop to Marlette Peak overlook for grub and maybe a beer. Then drop down and ride Flume trail. Ending a ride at the Tunnel Cafe with grub and a beer is tough to beat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another thanks to some Truckee area riders playing tour guide.-imag2582.jpg  

Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    sounds like a super fun adventure but . i'm going to be the a-hole here and say you're basically naming the trail by describing where you were...

gainlessly unemployed
    Those trails are super visible on the trailforks heatmap and afaik, the secrecy is more about keeping motos away then MTBs.

At any rate, they're awesome and I'm super happy to show them to friends and offer commendations to the builders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tame Ape View Post
    Those trails are super visible on the trailforks heatmap and afaik, the secrecy is more about keeping motos away then MTBs.

At any rate, they're awesome and I'm super happy to show them to friends and offer commendations to the builders.
    Yep, I ride them too. And they are awesome and I actually ran into the trailbuilders once and thanked them for all the work they do. Even offered to help but they were done for the day. It always strikes me as funny that when "unofficial trails" are discussed on here, people will mention the zone/location but then say "I can't name the trail". At that point, the "name" has been pretty much been given away by talking about the zone that it's in. It's almost the same thing as naming the trail.

Anyway... sorry to hijack thread. Truckee riding is awesome!!!!

gainlessly unemployed
    Indeed! Truckee is awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    It always strikes me as funny that when "unofficial trails" are discussed on here, people will mention the zone/location but then say "I can't name the trail". At that point, the "name" has been pretty much been given away by talking about the zone that it's in. It's almost the same thing as naming the trail.
    I don't really think so. If someone says the name, that's actually a thing that some can google, do a segment search on Strava etc etc. If someone just gives some cryptic reference to a particular area then it's only really meaningful to someone who already knows. It's a way of talking about fight club without saying fight club.

But also, yes: Truckee is awesome, as are all the people you meet on the trails. Awesome community.

Caca pasa
    Don't know how I missed this thread, but wg, I hope to ride with you again, soon. Rockville? Skyline?

I have Fri/Sats off, middle of Oct.

Nice bike!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    I don't really think so. If someone says the name, that's actually a thing that some can google, do a segment search on Strava etc etc. If someone just gives some cryptic reference to a particular area then it's only really meaningful to someone who already knows. It's a way of talking about fight club without saying fight club.

But also, yes: Truckee is awesome, as are all the people you meet on the trails. Awesome community.
    This... As someone that is still discovering the trails out there I basically know where Jackass is but would not know where to turn, how far up, etc. from any given point. So unless I know what I am looking for OR are out there to directly discover said specific trail(s) then I am going to be no wiser.

But just like anything, where there is a will there is a way. If I went and did plenty of research I am sure I could find them.

Also, yes Truckee is awesome with a great variety of trails!!! Love having this stuff in my backyard!

mtbr member
    I took a group on that same route Saturday as well.

As a local, I spent many hours years ago piecing all the sections together. Probing, riding up trails, post-holing snow drifts etc. Eventually meeting one builder.

But now there are so many GPS tracks that the trails are easily located. The attempts to throw the moto's off with the strategically placed limbs has worked well and if you see where there may be a need to add more limbs/logs - Please do