Another great Save Mt.Diablo ride:BIG post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another great Save Mt.Diablo ride:BIG post

Dan'ger thanks for stepping up and being the leader. Great ride I had a blast!

Start of the ride

Eric and Dave in a deep conversation about binoculars and big cats.

Butt's R us!

Dan'ger and MtnbikeBecky

Good morning Ebrider

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cows had their way with this section!

Cemetery

The group

Becky and Dave

Beautiful day

Climb out of Wall Road

MotionBased Here!

Thanks again everyone. What a day!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913

Thanks again everyone. What a day!
    Nice pics Larry.

Looks like y'all were up near Black Diamond??

Carrie and I did a hike up there today... have you ever checked out that cemetary? Crazy - most of the people there died before they made it to 40 - there were atleast a dozen that vacated the worldly premises before they were 10! Must have been a harsh life back then...

But what a day! It was perfect for a hike, or a ride!

We got chased by an angry bull, and I ended up ripping one of my favorite hawaiian shirts hopping a barbed wire fence... Oh well I'm having a fat New York for dinner, so there you little biatches!

Cheers.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Nice pics Larry.

Looks like y'all were up near Black Diamond??

Carrie and I did a hike up there today... have you ever checked out that cemetary? Crazy - most of the people there died before they made it to 40 - there were atleast a dozen that vacated the worldly premises before they were 10! Must have been a harsh life back then...

But what a day! It was perfect for a hike, or a ride!

We got chased by an angry bull, and I ended up ripping one of my favorite hawaiian shirts hopping a barbed wire fence... Oh well I'm having a fat New York for dinner, so there you little biatches!

Cheers.
    What time were you there? We saw some folks checking out the cemetary as we were making for the exit.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    What time were you there? We saw some folks checking out the cemetary as we were making for the exit.

We were up in the cemetary around 3:30, I think.

I was wearing a (torn) red hawaiian shirt - and Carrie, her normal crotchless thong.

mtbr member
    We were up in the cemetary around 3:30, I think.

I was wearing a (torn) red hawaiian shirt - and Carrie, her normal crotchless thong.
    LMAO!

Dan'ger - not to sound picky, but it's "Bosworth" not "Boswell."

-Joe Louis

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    LMAO!

Dan'ger - not to sound picky, but it's "Bosworth" not "Boswell."
    So, is the as yet - unnamed rider, by chance - Rich?

I used to ride with him back in the day...

mtbr member
    So, is the as yet - unnamed rider, by chance - Rich?

I used to ride with him back in the day...
    It is Rich. First time meeting him....

(He did mention he was going to ride next weekends SMD ride at Oyster Point.)

-Joe Louis

Feeling a little taller
    I was going to write this in 2-word sentences but I feel I need to put up my thoughts before they fade. I'm sunburned, fatigued and sleepy.

I was really close to bailing on this ride because Maya had me up all night. We're still trying to get into a feeding/sleep schedule that works for her and us. So far, we've not had much success but we're still trying.

ibisGuy showed up at my house about 8:15 and we rode over to mtnBecky's to catch a lift with her and we carpooled up to the park-and-ride as some of the Claytonites suggest we do as there was some road construction blocking the staging area.

We met up with Eric Muhler, president of BTCEB, Rich, LJ and EBrider and after a check at the library for possible stragglers, we took off up the trail. We regrouped a few miles later at the Park Boundary gate where we said goodbye to EBrider, who had prior obligations, and El Presidente who had prior old and fatness. We've really got to get the old Mule-man riding more often. After all, he was "leading" the ride.

So, we said goodbye to Steve and Eric and since none of us really had much experience with this park, we all co-led.

From here, it was a slight grunt up the cow-pocked trails over a crest and down to Black Diamond Way and Black Diamond Trail. After combating the post holes, minor casualties were taken we finally got to the Cemetary overlook where my phone rang.

Mike McCormack of Save Mount Diablo had called to say that although he arrived at the trailhead and ran into Eric and they figured he was starting about an hour behind us. We made a quick plan to change the route and hang out at the Cemetary and wait to see if he could catch up.

After waiting for a while, it became evident that we really needed to continue or we weren't going to get to ride what we had already abridged the ride to - we cut out the Contra Loma extension.

The next segment took us down through Somersville and along the Stewartville trail and out to the ridge trail where most of us heard a rattlesnake as we rode by it on the side of the trail but ibisGuy got to see it.

This ranger was on her way out to a hiking group that had reported the snake.

Becky drafted the ranger...j/k

We took Ridge to Stewartville where we found some mud in the low-laying areas.

LJ made quick work of this mudpatch, the only brave soul to ride it.

ibisGuy made himself the next casualty trying to do the same at the next one.

That was the last of my pictures. Attempting to climb "The Wall" took what I had left out of me and the camera stayed put away for the rest of the ride. "The Wall" was just as cow chopped as the wost of the trails we had experienced until that point which made climbing the steep sections just that much harder.

I was proud of my accomplishment, though. The last time I rode this trail, I walked most of it. This time, even though the trail was in much worse condition, I rode most of it.

From here, we rode back through Somersville, past the Cemetary and down to Nortonville. It was really windy on the descent to N'ville but as soon as we rounded the corner to return back to the staging area, the trees cut the wind.

It was one filal long climb followed by a few short climbs and we were back at the top to head back out to Clayton.

It was a great ride with great friends and I'm sorry I spelled Larry's last name wrong - won't happen again.

To top it all off, Pete honked as he drove by in his huge environmentally unfriendly coffin.

mtbr member
    Great report Dan! So to count the wildlife there was one coyote sighting, and two Rattlesnake sightings. (There was a baby one crossing the trail about 200 yards past the group of horse riders.) Tis the season!

Hope you catch-up on your sleep tonight. Catch you on the next ride....

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Looks like you had a great ride, wish I could have stayed longer. That's cool that you hung out at the cemetery for a while, I have been meaning to stop there sometime and take some pics, but never made it. Usually I only ride that loop when I have an hour or so to ride, and I can do the Nortonville loop from my house. So not much stopping to sniff the flowers.

Unfortunately the trails are completely trashed from what I found last week and from what it looks like in the pictures. Last year it was a little bumpy from all the cattle tracks made during the winter, but with all the rain this year, it is a challenging ride. Probably in the next month, the park people will plow over the fire roads, at which point they will be smooth enough for FSR, hard tail, fully rigid, cross bike, road bike, unicycle, roller skates, skate board or anything else over.

This time of year, there is a friendly rattle snake out greeting us almost every time. Hopefully seeing wildlife while you are in the wild doesn't alarm too many people, but I suppose you could call in a false rattle snake alarm and go ride all the single track. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Great action pic Larry. I especially like the B&W one.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Hopefully seeing wildlife while you are in the wild doesn't alarm too many people, but I suppose you could call in a false rattle snake alarm and go ride all the single track. Just a thought.
    HA!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0