mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Annadel or Tamarancho for relative noob?

Hi all. Have this week off and am mixing it up between on road and off. My go to MTB trail is the China Camp main loop as it's in my back yard. I wanted to explore Annadel or Tamarancho this week but on one of the trail maps I looked up (at MTB Project) it shows Annadel as intermediate to advanced. The elevation map doesn't show anything crazy so I'm wondering what classifies it as "advanced"?

Either way, would appreciate recommendations for either or a good mixed terrain loop of 15-25 miles. I'm not into crazy steep descents but don't mind moderate technical stuff or climbing.

Thanks!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy CC X01
    Santa Cruz Stigmata
    S-Works Tarmac

Roadie at heart with a healthy respect for the shredders

Trail Gnome
    You should check out Tamarancho...since itís so close. The main loop at China Camp is pretty simple, not much tech at all...nothing too steep. Annadel has a lot of rocky sections, not tons of elevation gain...it sounds like you should avoid Rough go trail. Check them both out

used to be RipRoar
    I would say Tamo for sure..

Sweat Buster Helmet padding, Why suffer with sweat in your face & glasses? traxfactory.com

NedwannaB
    I'm with Griz, try them both if you have time!

For the record, I do not consider Tamarancho myself as being "beginner's trail" as its been referred to (or China Camp too for that matter)There's plenty of places along the route to 'fcuk ewe up' in either place! The main loop starting up Iron Springs will only net you ~10 miles. If you want a longer route, head out of town and start on Glenn Dr taking the old rrd grade over to Porcupine, White Hill frd, drop into camp on B17 extn, do the loop clock wise, come around and back out up the extn and backtrack your route. Should get 18-19 miles.
    As for Annadel, I'd start on Channel Drive. Head out past the ranger station and catch Channel Trail on the right just as you pass the lockout gate. (there's a water spicket on the right just before that gate if you need). Follow Ch Trail passing Nth Burma and eventually you'll pop back out on Ch Drive. You'll be on road for a 100 yds or so look on right the trail dives back in on dirt again taking you to the end where it pops you out at another water spicket and horse water trough. No more water source after this(toilets are around to the right at end of parking lot). Head thru the gate on your right and up WP Richardson frd. Passing by Lower Steves,Two Quarry and Nth Burma. Take Sth Burma up and over down to Buick Meadows, left at the bench merges you onto Marsh Tr. Continue on Marsh single track which turns to frd at the bathroom. Veer right continue on frd finding "the" Lesson Marsh on your right. Stay right at the "Y" passing Lawndale spur continuing on the flats around the marsh on the frd eventually finding Ridge Trhd in the trees on your right once you start to climb. Take Ridge single track around to its end intersecting Marsh. At this point you can either A) go right climbing Marsh ending back up at Buick Meadows taking Sth Burma back to retrace your route to Channel. Or B) after finishing on Ridge, go left on Marsh down to its end at Canyon frd. Go right on Canyon taking it up and over where you'll hit Richardson frd go left to Lake Ilsanyo reservoir.

After a break and taking in the sites, continue clkwise crossing the overflow spillway take a right onto Lake Tr. following it around you'll intersect Richardson again head up you'll pass Sth Burma on your right continue and retrace back to Channel.

The alt way down to Channel vs Richardson frd is Nth Burma single track which has two parts. The upper section down to Live Oak intersection isn't too techy, more like a roller coaster, but the lower section from there down has a bit more "features" to dodge for a noobie as you described yourself.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would say Annadel is more noob friendly ,Tamo has more tech . Either is more tech than the main loop at China Camp. You know there is more riding around CC than main loop,right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For Tamo, I recommend this route: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4750980/

More fun (and safe) than taking Iron Springs Road, IMO. But either way you approach it, the Tamo main loop is a classic. Anyone that's fit and comfortable on a bike should have no problem. Mandatory stop at Gestault Haus for beer and brat post ride.

For Annadel, I'd recommend this route:

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4786600/

You'll get to ride 2 of the best (legal) downhills in the park: South Burma and Lawndale, but avoid some of the more challenging tech in the north side of the park.

Of the two routes I posted, the Annadel route is more challenging. It's more distance, more vertical, and more technical. But still very doable for anyone who's in shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    I would say Annadel is more noob friendly ,Tamo has more tech . Either is more tech than the main loop at China Camp. You know there is more riding around CC than main loop,right?
    If I want a quick reliable route, I do the main loop. I've also done a lot of the other trails including up around the Nike base as well as a couple of deeply rutted 20% downgrades (those by accident). When people said all of China Camp is all easy, I think of those bits.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    For Tamo, I recommend this route: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4750980/

More fun (and safe) than taking Iron Springs Road, IMO. But either way you approach it, the Tamo main loop is a classic. Anyone that's fit and comfortable on a bike should have no problem. Mandatory stop at Gestault Haus for beer and brat post ride.

For Annadel, I'd recommend this route:

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4786600/

You'll get to ride 2 of the best (legal) downhills in the park: South Burma and Lawndale, but avoid some of the more challenging tech in the north side of the park.

Of the two routes I posted, the Annadel route is more challenging. It's more distance, more vertical, and more technical. But still very doable for anyone who's in shape.
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Will try to knock one or both out this week. Just added a slightly larger volume spacer to my rear shock so can't wait to try it out.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy CC X01
    Santa Cruz Stigmata
    S-Works Tarmac

Roadie at heart with a healthy respect for the shredders

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Annadel is awesome. The marked trails are rocky, some are challenging in spots, but not very dangerous. They do an XC race there where more than 300 people ride hard tails including me. Stuff on the backside of China Camp is more dangerous and not as much fun in my book.