Annadel Loop Suggestions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,480

    Annadel Loop Suggestions

    I have Steve's great 25 (30+ mile) loop via his webpage, and will most likely refer to his map(s). Taking a friend for the first time and not wanting to totally do him in.

    Possible to construct a loop, 20-25 miles, hitting the good trails like Lawndale and Burma(s).

    Is N. or S. Burma better for hitting on the way down? Any suggestions for a good loop?

    Ryan

  2. #2
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    What goes down must come up

    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Is N. or S. Burma better for hitting on the way down? Any suggestions for a good loop?
    Basically only three ways up (from E. side): 1. Cobblestone which is a killer, cold from the parking lot, 2. Up North Burma from Channel Drive, which would be a real killer for all but the best in shape, 3. Up Richardson and South Burma, which gives a nice slow warm-up. A slightly shorter variation would be to take Two Quarry half way up Richardson and head directly to Lawndale. Never done it since I like going up S. Burma and flying down the other side.

    You could always do our regular route up Richardson and S. Burma, down Lawndale, up Schultz/Ridge, down S. Burma, and then there are several options depending on how you feel. Cut across Louis and then down Cobblestone. Go straight down N. Burma all the way to Channel Drive (very quick and all downhill), or go half way down N. Burma and then across Live Oak to Rough Go, then a couple ways to head down Cobblestone.

    But you eventually want to go down S. Burma, Cobblestone and Lawndale, and at least the top half of N. Burma.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    I have Steve's great 25 (30+ mile) loop via his webpage, and will most likely refer to his map(s). Taking a friend for the first time and not wanting to totally do him in.

    Possible to construct a loop, 20-25 miles, hitting the good trails like Lawndale and Burma(s).

    Is N. or S. Burma better for hitting on the way down? Any suggestions for a good loop?

    Ryan
    ryan, anything that steve has done and documented is bound to be good stuff. i ride that loop all the time and it's just about perfect. it is pretty tough for a first timer though....lots of sustained climbs and fairly technical descents.

    can you be tempted to come up to auburn instead--sounds like there are at least 2 rides going on saturday morning...

    and you and i haven't ridden yet--sounds like you all had fun last weekend. the auburn ride will be my first long ride in a while....recuperating...

  4. #4
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,480
    Steve thank you for the suggestions, I really just want to the regular loop and hope my buddy can manage. But it seems like we could always bail after hitting lawndale and s. burma. I would hate to miss all those choice trails. Any thoughts on rough go?

    Dick I think we probably will just stay a bit "local", have to save riding with you all for another time, very soon hopefully. You doing MBTB? I remember it wasn't to bad on the climbing when I did it the first time, just a lot of rocks in the way. We will see how he fairs.

    Going up Sunday, be up there around 10 ish if anyone wants to join.

    Ryan

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    420
    I don't know the milage but a good loop that wouldn't kill a newb would be park at Channel go up Richardson, around Lake Illsanjo, to rough-go, to Orchard, to cobblestone, which will drop you back at Channel.

  6. #6
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Take the map

    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Steve thank you for the suggestions, I really just want to the regular loop and hope my buddy can manage. But it seems like we could always bail after hitting lawndale and s. burma. I would hate to miss all those choice trails. Any thoughts on rough go?
    Just take the map and start on the regular route. There are many options to bail after going up Schultz from Lawndale, e.g. back down Pig Flat - Two Quarry - Richardson, or after S. Burma go straight down N. Burma, that's all downhill. Rough Go is indeed "rough" particularly for a new. But it is really short. VTT had a bad fall on one of his first rides on it.

  7. #7
    baggin ho's
    Reputation: g-funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Basically only three ways up (from E. side): 1. Cobblestone which is a killer, cold from the parking lot, 2. Up North Burma from Channel Drive, which would be a real killer for all but the best in shape, 3. Up Richardson and South Burma, which gives a nice slow warm-up. A slightly shorter variation would be to take Two Quarry half way up Richardson and head directly to Lawndale. Never done it since I like going up S. Burma and flying down the other side.

    You could always do our regular route up Richardson and S. Burma, down Lawndale, up Schultz/Ridge, down S. Burma, and then there are several options depending on how you feel. Cut across Louis and then down Cobblestone. Go straight down N. Burma all the way to Channel Drive (very quick and all downhill), or go half way down N. Burma and then across Live Oak to Rough Go, then a couple ways to head down Cobblestone.

    But you eventually want to go down S. Burma, Cobblestone and Lawndale, and at least the top half of N. Burma.
    This seems like the best loop to me. you can cut out the steepest climb on richardson by going on 2 quarry to marsh to lawndale, which is in absolutely great shape now, that will cut some miles. DO NOT MISS S Burma from the meadow. then head down N burma to live oak turn left on rough go and r on orchard to cobble stone. you are only on rough go for a mile or so and with the MKiii it will be a pleasure!!! Are you rollin the IH? I might see you up there as I'm usually putzing around the park in one form or another on Saturday. If I see you I'll yell at the top of my lungs "One Ton Tomato" then you'll know it's me............

  8. #8
    VTT
    VTT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    411
    Steve and I rode Annadel Saturday and it was close to perfection. The trails were dry except for a couple of muddy spots, which bring some excitement, and a little bit more challenging than prior to the heavy rainy season we just had. Some of the topsoil got washed out and the rocky sections are "more rockier".
    My first time to Annadel wasn't a good ride for me but it was my first time on ST and it was very wet and muddy. I swore I will never go back there, and I was back a week later. It could be challenging for a first timer but I bet your friend will become addicted to this park.
    Good luck to him, have fun.
    Alain

  9. #9
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,889
    baycat, this is my before/after work loop. park at howarth park ( upper lot ), just above the little train station you'll see a single track. follow it through the boy scout camp area and head left. you'll again pick up a nice warm-up section of single track. go past the water tanks and head into the paved road area and follow it down to the parking lot. on the other side you'll pick more single track. take this over the top of the levee to another parking lot ( there is a bathroom and water ). go left on the dirt road which becomes canyon. go over the wooden bridge. at this point you can go up rough go or stay left. with a new rider i'd stay left. you will come to an other bridge. if you go left, that's spring creek trail or right which is still canyon. stay right and climb to the bench at marsh trail. take marsh to ridge trail. take ridge to end ( i think it's lawndale ? ). stay left, go past the wooden outhouse, continue left to you drop down to a bench ( bob's bench ). go right up the hill. this becomes south burma. fly like the wind down and the trail and it will end at richardsons. go right for a couple hundred feet and go left on north burma. at this point go can go anywhere, but i go down to louis's and go left,( not far ). at the dirt road go right to the lake. then the best begins. go down spring creek back to canyon. from there just re-trace your route back to the parking lot.

  10. #10
    Ready to roll!
    Reputation: jo_ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    go left on the dirt road which becomes canyon. go over the wooden bridge. at this point you can go up rough go or stay left. with a new rider i'd stay left.
    I think you meant stay right??? Unless I'm turned around.

    I like starting from Howarth too, the singletrack from Camp Wa-Tam through Howarth and Spring Lake parks makes a good warm up and are pretty fun.

    Here's a map of Howarth Park and Spring Lake trails: http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/rp/pdf/parks/hptrailmap.pdf
    Not all the singletrack trails are on the map, basically it's trail 9 and 7 in Howarth. The trails continue in Spring Lake park, but aren't on the map.

    I also like to start from the Park Trail entrance. There's no parking fee, and it's the quickest route to the lake by heading up Spring Creek trail. Here's a decent (18 mile??) ride from the Park Trail entrance.

    parktrail (entry) -> Canyon -> Spring Creek -> Lake Ilsanjo Dam -> Canyon -> Marsh -> Buick Meadow -> South Burma -> Richardson -> Lake Trail -> Stop at the Lake if you like -> Lake Trail -> Louis Trail -> North Burma -> Live Oak-> Rough Go (to Lake) -> Brief stop at Dam -> Canyon -> parktrail (exit)

    For extra distance add Ridge Trail or make a loop out of Orchard to Cobblestone and back to Rough Go.

    The great thing about Annadel, is there are so many variations. Once you're familiar with the trails, you just start riding and go where you feel like riding. Here's an Annadel Map: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/480/files/Annadel.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.