Annadel - Live Oak Trail- Mtbr.com
    Nim

Jan 2004

Annadel - Live Oak Trail

Does anyone know who took all the fun out of Live Oak Trail? It used to be a good "connector" trail with a few fun rocky technical sections, but now the harder tech sections have been "de-technified" and covered with dirt.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    Does anyone know who took all the fun out of Live Oak Trail? It used to be a good "connector" trail with a few fun rocky technical sections, but now the harder tech sections have been "de-technified" and covered with dirt.
    As a friend of mine would say, itís been sissified. I think you can probably thank the State of CA for that fine bit of trail maintenance. Remember how fun North Burma used to be?

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    Remember how fun North Burma used to be?
    That's one of the best trails there. Going down it at least. It used to be better? I just started riding there a couple months ago.

My gloves stink

Steve's S is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    That's one of the best trails there. Going down it at least. It used to be better? I just started riding there a couple months ago.
    Yeah, Live Oak used to be better if you like a more technical challenge. They've smoothed out a few of the more technical section. Hopefully Steve's S and Rough Go won't suffer the same fate.

pewpewpew Moderator
    They sanitized it about a month ago. Its horrid now. Also they took out the one good sized rock drop on cobblestone. Grr.

Mar 2004
    Awe crap. It's been a couple of months since I rode at Annendale. Why did they f#%@-up our trails?

Coors, the american beer.
    has it changed since MBTB 6? (early june) that was the last time i was over there. (too worried about my damn crank arm falling off again lol)
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member

chainring masher

They took out (or covered up) that chainring masher on Live Oak. It was two big rocks with a space in between just wide enough for your wheels. On my old bike, I'd smack the chainring against the rocks, but my new Enduro just barely cleard it. Now it's all covered up. I just rode it this morning.

They also covered up one of the steep twisty parts with a bunch of small, loose, flat rocks. Maybe it's better for horses, but I dont' think it makes it any safer for bikes.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

My gloves stink

Live Oak Chainring Masher

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    They took out (or covered up) that chainring masher on Live Oak. It was two big rocks with a space in between just wide enough for your wheels. On my old bike, I'd smack the chainring against the rocks, but my new Enduro just barely cleard it. Now it's all covered up. I just rode it this morning.

They also covered up one of the steep twisty parts with a bunch of small, loose, flat rocks. Maybe it's better for horses, but I dont' think it makes it any safer for bikes.
    I ride a 29 and always looked forward to trying to clear your "chainring masher". Instead trying to navigate between the rocks I just rolled over them. My son protested, "those big wheels make it look so easy!". So sad to see it go...

As far as the reasoning behing the "improvements", I expect that state parks equates difficulty with potential for injury. Disappointing but understandable. In their mind, somebody gets seriously hurt on Live Oak (or any other trail without nearby road access) and they've got a lot of hassle to deal with.

Annadel is still an awesome place to ride.

Mtb Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    Well, the last time I rode Annadel it was obvious that lots of trail users had been going around most of the fun, technical obstacles instead of trotting, riding, or walking over them. Single track trails were becoming wider and there were lots of bootlegs around rocks. It was a mess. Maybe park staff did it to keep people on the trail bed and, hopefully, slow down the widening and bootlegging.

Annadel could benefit from a concerted effort to educate users about staying on the trail like has been done for the trails around Fruita.

mtbr member

Lots of trails

...have been smoothed over. Even Spring Creek trail is a little smoother (still lots of rocks up top). I think they do this every year or two to make up for erosion.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    ...have been smoothed over. Even Spring Creek trail is a little smoother (still lots of rocks up top). I think they do this every year or two to make up for erosion.

I notice this too. Also, I think things naturally smooth out during the summer with no erosion and water to wash the dirt away. Things that were way bumpier in Jan and Feb are pretty tame now - seems like the dirt settles down with all the bike traffic and the ruts and stuff are now flatter and easier.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Well, the last time I rode Annadel it was obvious that lots of trail users had been going around most of the fun, technical obstacles instead of trotting, riding, or walking over them. Single track trails were becoming wider and there were lots of bootlegs around rocks. It was a mess. Maybe park staff did it to keep people on the trail bed and, hopefully, slow down the widening and bootlegging.

Annadel could benefit from a concerted effort to educate users about staying on the trail like has been done for the trails around Fruita.
    Agreed. Education AND learning to ride are most likely the keys to trail destruction. Granted, neither of these comes into play on Live Oak (which is what this thread was about).

Single track is wanted, it's created, and due to poor skills, trying avoiding rocks (which is a shame in and of itself) and trying to go faster than your buddy (with little control, apparently), the trails become double track again and get U-G-L-Y fast. What is the saying, "Ride it, don't slide it"?

Winter plays a large roll in many areas. Some that ride up there in winter obviously don't stay ON the trail. They go around the puddles. Guess what - the trails get wider. How about this - ride in the center of the trail or get a road bike. Then when the tarmac "trail" becomes too difficult to stay on, the ditch or being a hood ornament results. That would get some attention. End rant. Have a nice day and be nice out there!