Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Annadel Alternatives?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  XterraMike 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I know, it's gonna suck.

Road bike? I did that today since I am still not at work.

I was thinking gravel rides in Armstrong. Lake sonoma?

Gonna miss having dirt I can ride to from home.

BTW, there is a meeting at trailhouse next Wednesday 6:30. Hopefully the park won't be closed too long.

Might be trading riding time for trail work.

Peace,
J

#4 ·
^oof, Sonoma Ridge is Jack London, gotta be closed.

^^also thought about roading it, but gotta be hell on my sweet dirt treads. I've a 12yo who needs some miles, and prefer keeping him offroad. Don't think the Trailhouse meeting is in my schedule, but I'm sure I'll get the scuttlebutt.

Taylor Mtn is "east of 101" so I suppose also closed.

Halfway tempted to park on Parktrail and see what I can see. Not condoning sniping closures, but dayum, it's been a long couple weeks here.

#8 ·
Howarth Park is open, as is the Veteran's Trail off Parktrail. Got a few miles in, good to be outside at least. Weather is perfect.

Talked to a Ranger putting up more "Annadel Closed" signs, no ETA on anything, and they had another hotspot flare up last night, so we're still in a holding pattern.

#10 ·
^awesome, thanks for the news. Will go check it out. We live on the other side of the mountain, kind of ironic to have to drive around to Petaluma Hill to reach the mountain I see out my window right now. Maybe I should ask the ultra-lux people at the top for access?

//edit - You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GuruAtma again. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Yep, we went up from there, crisscrossed the main steep fire road - staying on the hiking trail... aka singletrack? Quite steep, but damn fun ride back down!! Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Clothing Eyewear Glasses Vision care Smile
Nature Blue Daytime Brown Natural environment

5.7mi, 1300', top speed 30mph. :madmax:

#16 ·
We saw one other guy coming down as we were headed up, other than that, we were the sole pedalers.

No joke about the steepness, that's why we took the switchbacky hiking trail. Still crazy steep. I did okay on 32x42, but clyde bro on 30x36 (and more DH-focused bike) was strugglin.

Not real sure I'd bother going back, but I did tell my wife and kids (who are going stir crazy being indoors and out of school) that it was a killer view and well worth the hike.

Doubt they'll take me up on it... their loss I suppose!

#17 ·
I rode through Howarth Park and Spring Lake yesterday, and dirt behind Park Trail. No one was riding Howarth Park. It has some fun 1-2 miles of trails.

Taylor Mountain has riding which can be accessed from behind the fair grounds, you don't have to go over to Petaluma Hill.

There are little bits of dirt all over Santa Rosa, mostly next to creeks. It takes a little bit of work to find them.

The pump track is still open. Doing 15 minutes of straight pump track will where you out.

My Napa buddies have been riding Moore creek trail. It goes from Lake Hennsey to Angwin Pope Valley. Of course it's 1 - 1.5 hour drive to get over there.

If you go from North from Santa Rosa, everything is almost an hour drive. Lake Sonoma has some good riding. Probably really good now, with the rain, and not 100 degree weather. There is 1500 foot descent south of Ukiah which I still haven't ridden.

Mendocino has lots of riding but that's closer to two hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.