Annadel, 4-30- Mtbr.com

Thread: Annadel, 4-30

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006

Annadel, 4-30

My wife and I started at the Channel Drive parking lot, and rode up Warren Richardson trail to the lake this weekend. The weekend prior, we had gone up to North Burma and taken that down- what a fun ride, rocky, technical, and muddy I don't really like riding in the mud, and we did our best to avoid it (carrying our bikes through). This weekend though was much better, although we did not take North Burma down. We started at 10:00, it was sunny and 65F. I did see a mountain lion on the hillside about 100 yards away, I almost got hit by a deer running across the trail, and we saw plenty of fat turkey. It seems that Lake Illsanjo is pretty full, and looks like they are draining it down next to the Spring Creek trail.
    We have not hit that since we found the other side of the park- Spring Creek is a fun downhill, but short. It's pretty steep if you want to go up it too.
    We only had a short time to relax next to the lake, but we had plenty of water still in our camelbacks. As the day wore on, a lot of people were hitting the trails. Near the lake, it was almost crowded so many people are coming out. We rode back down Warren Richardson, to avoid any mud on North Burma. I really would like to try one of the other trails down next time, but I have to convince my wife before taking on those trails. I hear Cobblestone calling me
    Hopefully I'll be out there again this coming Saturday.

Scott

Ready to roll!

Mt Lion in Annadel

Quote Originally Posted by cbc
    I did see a mountain lion on the hillside about 100 yards away
    You saw a mountain lion in Annadel? Now that's news! I'm up there twice a week.

Can you tell me where you were when you saw it, on which trail?

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    It was a bit past the first "switchback" on Warren Richardson, up the hill. It was hard to see it, he was really slinking along hiding in the brush. I could see his back- but we were making noise and they usually will stay away from you when you are noisy

mtbr dismember

That would be something

Quote Originally Posted by cbc
    It was a bit past the first "switchback" on Warren Richardson, up the hill.
    So do you mean at the intersection of Warren Richardson and Two Quarry? That would be pretty amazing considering how crowded Annadel is, particularly with all the horses. In the movies we are led to believe the horses can smell them and get excited.

Ready to roll!
    I've seen bobcats and coyote in the park, but never a lion. The coyote go from Annadel to Sugerloaf, Sonoma Mountain, and Tailor Mountain. Every now and then I hear them on Tailor Mountain where I live. I've heard that a mountain lions range is like 100 square miles, so I wouldn't expect one to stay in Annadel all the time. There are warning signs posted in all the parks in the surrounding hills, so you know they're around.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_ride
    I've seen bobcats and coyote in the park, but never a lion. The coyote go from Annadel to Sugerloaf, Sonoma Mountain, and Tailor Mountain. Every now and then I hear them on Tailor Mountain where I live. I've heard that a mountain lions range is like 100 square miles, so I wouldn't expect one to stay in Annadel all the time. There are warning signs posted in all the parks in the surrounding hills, so you know they're around.
    In the Bay Area, 80% of mountain lion sightings are false (according to a parks spokesman). Most often, they are bobcats.

francois

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    It could have been a bobcat, although it was fairly large. It was just past the intersection of Richardson and Two Quarry, up the hill quite a way. It was still early enough that there were no other people around us at that time, but it got fairly packed as we were coming down. Whichever it was, it was a very large cat From the distance I saw it, the back was around 4 feet long.

NedwannaB

Nope, sorry.....

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    In the Bay Area, 80% of mountain lion sightings are false (according to a parks spokesman). Most often, they are bobcats.

francois
    .....have to colaborate cbc's story. Two of us saw a female (maybe young male but looong tail, no bobcat) stalking a rabbit on a night excursion heading up on Richardson between N-S Burma. Pretty cool. I've seen a bobcat(s) several times towards the bottom of NB just before it ties into Live Oak. Odly enough I've named that section Bobcat Alley.

Members who have read this thread: 0