Anadel Ride with Impy this afternoon...WOW!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Annadel Ride with Impy this afternoon...WOW!!

we did 25 miles in annadel on an absolutely perfect afternoon...this was my first time here and i was amazed at the park. lots of climbing, downhill singletrack through the woods, lots and lots of rocks....most of the terrain was a lot more technical than i'm used to but i loved in nonetheless. i've never emptied my camelbak before today!! by the end i was totally spent and was pretty careful coming down the last decent as i thought it would ruin the day if i crashed into a rock...

thanks to impy for taking me up there and showing me around. i surely see why this park is on most people's top 5 list in the bay area. can't wait to go back...here are some pictures from the ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cohenfive; 08-18-2004 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

one more picture.....

last one...impy getting ready assault a tricky, rocky climb....much steeper than it looks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

pewpewpew Moderator
    that was a lot of fun! it was a perfect afternoon indeed. i've been eating non stop since I came home, guess we burned a calorie or two.

Looks like i am not assaulting that last climb but rather that I'm about to fall over, heh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i sucked down half a pizza when i got home...

on top of about 6 glasses of ice water...one nice thing about mtn biking is there's no shame in serious caloric intake after a ride...

my bike is getting a good bath today!!

mtbr member

I am bummed....

I couldn't join you guys. The pictures look GREAT!! When there's a next Annadel ride I'd love to tag along.

Weekdays just don't happen for me until after 5:00. I did get a ride in at China Camp - wow gnats all over the trail. Must wear eye protection when riding at dusk.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Before I leave town I want to have a few goodbye rides at local spots, and there will certainly be one at annadel, most likely on a weekend. so stay tuned.

mtbr member

Weekends work best...

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Before I leave town I want to have a few goodbye rides at local spots, and there will certainly be one at annadel, most likely on a weekend. so stay tuned.
    I will be check in often, looking forward to meeting you all, and for the ride.... Sorry to hear you're leaving this great area, but wish you the best in your future adventures....

-Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    if we do a 'goodbye' ride in the east bay i might be enticed to host a little after ride bbq and swim...

mtbr dismember

Welcome to Annadel!

[QUOTE=cohenfive]...by the end i was totally spent..QUOTE]

I told you to wait for me, Impy is too fast! That photo looks like the last climb from Rough Go up to Cobblestone? I don't think I've ever made it because the approach is a long uphill so I'm tired by the time I reach it. I do miss the rocks on Rough Go. Our recent rides have been too smooth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Wherewolf]
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    ...by the end i was totally spent..QUOTE]

I told you to wait for me, Impy is too fast! That photo looks like the last climb from Rough Go up to Cobblestone? I don't think I've ever made it because the approach is a long uphill so I'm tired by the time I reach it. I do miss the rocks on Rough Go. Our recent rides have been too smooth.
    after yesterday i think i'll take out my road bike!!! i was just not used to all the rocks, kept hoping for some smooth trails but they just weren't around. made things a real challenge for me. plus i was with impy who really pushed my skills...that's a good thing though.

as for the picture, it was near the end of the ride so could've been on rough go, i'm just not sure whether we were there yet when this was taken.

i was trying to think of our route but even looking at the map am not sure of everything. impy correct me if i'm wrong:

we rode up channel into the park, climbed to the top on richardson/two quarry (ouch!) to buick meadow, around the marsh and then a great descent (lawndale?). we then took the road back up and climbed to the top again on schultz, road the ridge, marsh and canyon. we eventually ended up at a lake (not sure which one) and then onto rough go. we were also on s. burma for a while and did steve's connector trail (which basically disconnected me). i guess we came down cobblestone back to our cars. no water and zero strength left on the way down...

all in all a great day...

Mar 2004
    Mmmmm, decending on cobblestone! Love that trail. I'll definitely try and make the next ride, especially if on the weekend.

-JOE

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=Wherewolf]
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    ...by the end i was totally spent..QUOTE]

I think that is where Orchard meets up with Orchard Loop. It is pretty difficult to do that last little push. Man it kills me, Annadale is getting too smooth. When I first started riding there in the mid 1980's there were many spots that were very difficult to negotiate and were always a challenge. Now I never know if the difficult parts are going to be graded or not. Feels like I'm losing my 'trials' skills. However, it is still a great place to ride.
    By the way I saw quad tracks along Cobblestone on Saturday morning. Think it is a poacher or one of the biologists studying the turkeys?