Alternate way of getting to Demo besides Summit/Highland?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Alternate way of getting to Demo besides Summit/Highland?

With the road work and closures it's been troublesome getting in and out of there. Could someone enlighten me on alternate ways of getting there? I'm coming from San Jose. I know there's another way because I see lots of people arriving from the opposite direction and pretty sure they don't all just live there or are stuck

Wēk SŰs
    coming from the opposite direction, come up from corralitos. it's a longer drive from SJ though, as you have to loop around to corralitos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yikes, a lot longer. I'll just time my rides better! Thanks for replying.

mtbr member
    You can start in Aptos and ride up the fire road to demo. Drive time is about the same, you just add a tad more climbing to your ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You can start in Aptos and ride up the fire road to demo. Drive time is about the same, you just add a tad more climbing to your ride.
    Note by this definition, Mt. Everest is about 11 tads tall

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What might work best is if you time it right. the closures are for 2 hours from like 10 am to 12 and then 1-3. If you can hit that 12-1 window, ride, then leave after 3, you are inconvenienced a limited amount.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    May 2006
    park at the summit store and ride in. Or climb up from Aptos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    You can take Loma Prieta and come down Ormsby. Although it does turn into dirt and a slow ride

Chump
    Are the closures only on weekdays, or also weekends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    You can take Loma Prieta and come down Ormsby. Although it does turn into dirt and a slow ride
    Can this route be driven with a regular car - like a minivan? (Loma Prieta to Ormsby to Buzzards)

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    Can this route be driven with a regular car - like a minivan? (Loma Prieta to Ormsby to Buzzards)
    Oh yea should be able too no issues

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    Nah you need a Tacoma. On a serious note itís not worth it I did it once and itís so slow you donít save any time , plus all the local mountain Billies and the weed grows and pit bulls kinda kill the vibes for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yea itís a lot slower. It itís an option if you didnít want to drive all the way to Watsonville then up Eureka Canyon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks! I was just asking in case Highland is closed sometime, and my other option is driving all the way to Aptos via Eureka Canyon.

I arrived at Demo at 9am on Monday, and the work crews on Highland told me as I passed by that Highland would be closed from 10am-12noon, and from 1pm-3pm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I parked two miles up on Highland and rode in.

Not a ton of spaces though, so if others have the same idea, you'll be even further out.

If I have to drive in via Corralitos, I'll just head to campus instead.

mtbr member
    Are they doing this closure on weekends as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The public works sites I've searched for don't list anything about weekend work. But this is America, doubt they'll be working weekends.

Possible the dual stoplights might be active though?

October 30, 2020 is target end date.

SC DPW states there will be two other Highland Way projects happening, one of them projected to start in 2023.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm confused about the closure. I rode this morning and was driving out (so North) on Highland around 11 a.m. They allowed me to drive through the construction zone, and looked like they were set up to let people through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A) Not sure on closure on weekends but it was very easy driving through this morning at 6am and 8am (there and back). Just a couple of one lane sections.
    B) Is the Aptos Creek Climb from Nisene doable on a gravel bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Frequent reader but rare poster here - thanks all for the source of great info. Never ridden Demo - is it crazy crowded on weekends? I don't mind pulling aside to let riders pass or occasionally coming up behind others, so I guess I'm asking more about parking, waiting at the start of the flow sections. Trying to decide where to ride today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This weekend was easily the most crowded I have ever seen it at Demo. I guess lack of road closure on the weekend, along with the allure of the new Sawpit opening was strong. The upper lot was over-full and every feasible spot Highland was full for close to a mile on either side of the Hihn's Mill turn. Having said that, the fact that most people ride in a single-direction makes it still sort of manageable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Like anything in the Bay area that solution is always "start early"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Alternatively, start late. I rode both days this weekend.
    Saturday I was pedaling up by 6am, didn't see a person until I got back to the parking lot.
    Sunday I arrived about 1pm, pulled right up and parked right next to the parking lot entrance, didn't see another person on the trail until the picnic tables after flow.
    I think If you show up sometime between 7:30am and 11am it'll be a madhouse.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by D396 View Post
    A) Not sure on closure on weekends but it was very easy driving through this morning at 6am and 8am (there and back). Just a couple of one lane sections.
    B) Is the Aptos Creek Climb from Nisene doable on a gravel bike?
    A gravel bike is ideal for the Aptos Creek Fire Road climb
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    I arrived yesterday at 9am and the parking was nonexistent. That wasn't surprising though, as the weather was perfect and Sawpit has a lot of people (including myself) curious. What was disturbing was the number of huge riding groups all gobbed together in the parking lots, side of trails, picnic tables, etc. No masks. Are people thinking the virus just vanished because things are opening up??

Side note- Sawpit was very fun, a little pedally but worth it. Surprised there are already braking bumps leading into some of the corners. I think my favorite part was the trail actually leading to the Sawpit sign before the climb. Not sure if that's technically part of the trail or not, but was fun and flowy with some decent features built in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the feedback on that, all. Glad I decided to save Demo for another day ("easily the most crowded weekend"), a weekday when I can get away, super early. Along with not wanting to deal with a mess of people, also don't want to contribute to it! It's nice to have the option of starting late too, with the long days. I ended up starting a Marin ride at 5pm yesterday and seemed like most everyone had gone home. Social distancing seems to be loosening up a bit, but I've also found night rides a really reliable way to find empty trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh yea should be able too no issues
    Ormsby, above Highland Way? IIRC, that can get you a pricey citation!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by karld View Post
    Ormsby, above Highland Way? IIRC, that can get you a pricey citation!
    Why?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Why?
    The road is marked "Private", I believe, and I have heard of someone getting an expensive souvenir from the Sheriff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by karld View Post
    The road is marked "Private", I believe, and I have heard of someone getting an expensive souvenir from the Sheriff.
    Summit road is also marked private but it is far from private. The locals do it because they donít want anyone up there. Iíve researched Loma Prieta rd and summit road. I will have to look into Ormsby. IF e ridden my dual sport motorcycle all over the roads up there with no issues. Just be respectful and you wonít have an issue

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I believe Ormsby is private, though summit is not.
    Some of the other suggestions here are also private.
    MBOSC put out a notice basically asking people to stop trespassing, there's car access on Highland and bike access on Aptos. And maybe there's a new gate just off Buzzard Lagoon, shortening that possible shuttle location.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I regularly ride down Ormsby on my gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iím guessing the hard 2hr closures of Highland Rd are done? The web site said it was supposed to run till June 26? Has anyone been up there this past week during those times?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was at Demo last Saturday morning - it was packed. On the drive in, the sign said the road closures would continue on weekdays through some date in July (I think maybe it was July 10th, I don't remember).