Alert on car break-ins near China Camp- Mtbr.com
    Old man on a bike

Alert on car break-ins near China Camp

Tonight a friend of mine had a window busted out of his car while we were riding in the park, break in some time around 5-6pm as far as we can tell. Some gal hikers also got their car broken into and lost a couple of purses. I was lucky, my car wasn't broken into; I figure they got interrupted while breaking into my buddy's car, or I should have also found a broken window and lost stuff as mine was next in line. My buddy was lucky and he didn't lose keys or wallet, some stuff was taken in a bag but nothing of great value, but what a pain to replace the window and all.

We were parked at the eastern end of San Pedro Rd, just across from the last trailhead gate along the road. They closed the little parking lot just a bit outside the eastern park boundary, on the edge of the Peacock neighborhood, where I used to park and never had a problem (altho there was a lot of broken glass in the lot, it looked more to be of the broken beer bottle type); this is one of the few times I used this area along the road to park in...maybe I'll pay the $3 fee and park in the campground lot next time, or at least outside on the road in sight of the ranger kiosk.

The China Camp State Park Rangers responded to the call, the hikers had returned to their car first and called it in; the ranger did say that they have had a rash of break-ins in the last coupla weeks. One of the gals had already found out that one of had used her card to buy a pizza at a local Dominos...

So, keep your eyes open and if you catch the mofos in the act, kick their asses...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife

So, keep your eyes open and if you catch the mofos in the act, kick their asses...
    Or spray them with pepper spray? Lol, sorry...

You were parked at the gate that comes off the singletrack, at the base of Miwok?

Damn, I hate the thought of having to carry a bigger pack just to keep from leaving crap in my car.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Ack! Thanks for the heads-up.

Not related, but man they have really scewed up part of shoreline trail with all that gravel and "improvement".

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Not related, but man they have really scewed up part of shoreline trail with all that gravel and "improvement".
    Agreed, unless the intention was to slow the speeding freight trains down (*cough*) or else provide us a passing lane.

MTBr ReMember

Not to change the subject but...

...Are the Bikin'fools comin' up to Boggs this weekend for the MayByTheBay Gathering and Friends of Boggs Dogwood derby?

Here's the link to the current info thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=24318

And the event thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=9208

Hope you can make it...

Starting the camp setup this minute!

E-me: batman-at-telis-dot-org

Tim

mtbr member
    Damn, that totally sucks. Thanks for the headsup.

Also, school just got out and based on conversations with officers theft and other mayhem tends goes up about the same time.

Not too sound like a know-it-all, but it's always a good idea to leave the inside of your car empty ie, throw all yo junk in the trunk. If they see anything, especially bags, they'll bust in. How do they know it's not a bag filled with money? All my friends that have had their car broken into, including myself, had a bag or a stereo in plain view.

Coors, the american beer.
    damn ... well i guess no more china camp for me, i aint about go get my car broken into. And yes, those idiots messed up the shoreline with all that gravel.

on a related note there has also been some break ins out at rockville in fairfield, we all started parking behind that cafe by the tower mart at the intersection of rockville road and susiun valley road and riding our bikes up the road. No problems down there yet and there always seem to be cops passin by,

Stupid california, if i could get away with it id have all my windows tinted 5% cept the windshield so couldnt nobody see in. Right now i just got the back 3 tinted 5%
    Last edited by Melt; 05-27-2004 at 03:11 PM.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    hey, what's all this gravel talk? the last time I rode there, they had created a detour for like a couple hundred yards at the end of the loop. seemed pretty pointless, but ya'll make it sound more extensive. did they throw down even more?

It's about showing up.

Wheel chair access

I had friends speak to a Ranger and he acknowledged using special funding for such access. I hate to give up any riding turf but I am always pleased to see wheelchairs out in nature. After all it's still wheels.There is always the possiblity that the China Camp Vibe will result in Ti Wheelchairs with knobby tires and high performance motors.
    At the same time, though, the Rangers have been under pressure from the locals to use radar there to deal with speeding cyclists (read as: local old farts have started walkng there and don't want people to have the fun they have had there for years.) Now we have car break-ins.
    It's like that in Hawaii too.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I'm glad that someone is considering wheelchair access, but I hope those chairs are motorized and have knobby tires - that gravel is rather deep in places and the grade is defnitely not flat.

ballbuster

heh, no need for paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    damn ... well i guess no more china camp for me, i aint about go get my car broken into. And yes, those idiots messed up the shoreline with all that gravel.

on a related note there has also been some break ins out at rockville in fairfield, we all started parking behind that cafe by the tower mart at the intersection of rockville road and susiun valley road and riding our bikes up the road. No problems down there yet and there always seem to be cops passin by,

Stupid california, if i could get away with it id have all my windows tinted 5% cept the windshield so couldnt nobody see in. Right now i just got the back 3 tinted 5%
    They were talking about the eastern end of the park, near McNear's Beach. I always park near the main entrance. Lots of traffic in and out, lots of eyes to see if somebody is breaking windows.

I would also guess that tinted windows would increase break ins. The trick is to keep everything out of site in the trunk. A common theif wants to smash and grab, not smash and rummage around your car for 15 minutes hoping to find something valuable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Tonight a friend of mine had a window busted out of his car while we were riding in the park, break in some time around 5-6pm as far as we can tell. Some gal hikers also got their car broken into and lost a couple of purses. I was lucky, my car wasn't broken into; I figure they got interrupted while breaking into my buddy's car, or I should have also found a broken window and lost stuff as mine was next in line. My buddy was lucky and he didn't lose keys or wallet, some stuff was taken in a bag but nothing of great value, but what a pain to replace the window and all.

We were parked at the eastern end of San Pedro Rd, just across from the last trailhead gate along the road. They closed the little parking lot just a bit outside the eastern park boundary, on the edge of the Peacock neighborhood, where I used to park and never had a problem (altho there was a lot of broken glass in the lot, it looked more to be of the broken beer bottle type); this is one of the few times I used this area along the road to park in...maybe I'll pay the $3 fee and park in the campground lot next time, or at least outside on the road in sight of the ranger kiosk.

The China Camp State Park Rangers responded to the call, the hikers had returned to their car first and called it in; the ranger did say that they have had a rash of break-ins in the last coupla weeks. One of the gals had already found out that one of had used her card to buy a pizza at a local Dominos...

Had my truck broke into a little over a year-ago, I parked on the side of the road by the ranger hut, (entry to the camp ground). side of my truck was against the dirt wall... too close and it gave them well hidden access to the rear window. They broke the glass and took my wallet...STUPID ME, and cell phone. I called my cell phone, and some gal answerd the phone. Asked her just to return my stuff ID,Cards and other things that are a pain to get back. I got nothing but...2am phone calls at our resident.They now know my address,(drivers license) got our home # from the stored # on my cell. Scarry for my wife and kids as I travel out of town for biz. had to change almost all of our things and accounts. So now I park in the open space and hall all of my things with me.
    Last edited by Guitarzan415; 05-29-2004 at 09:43 PM.