Airliner Crash At SFO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Anybody local know anything about this?
    http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/157049...r-photo-video/
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's all over the internet. I'm sure you can figure it out.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    God dammit!!! My kimchee delivery is going to be late!!!

In all seriousness, my late uncle Ron Wilson was telling me about the impeccable safety record at SFO a few years back. There hadn’t been a serious aviation incident there since the 1970s or was it the 1960s??? Good to see everyone is back to being careless again.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

The Road Warrior
    When this plane crashed, I'll bet that some Novato equestrians were thrown off of their spooked horses.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    First fatality for the 777 also. I wonder if this was a pilot landing or computer landing.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    First fatality for the 777 also. I wonder if this was a pilot landing or computer landing.
    From what I've heard, the pilot was doing a manually operated, visual approach to the runway. It was not computer aided. There was no fog, no cloud cover, clear skies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    From what I've heard, the pilot was doing a manually operated, visual approach to the runway. It was not computer aided. There was no fog, no cloud cover, clear skies.
    From the news reports the ILS on 28L was off (and has been for over a month) due to construction, all landings were VFR (visual). Just surprised and glad almost everyone survived, sad there was loss of life though, but only 2 of 300+ in an airline incident this big is rarely heard of. NTSB is supposed to be there about nowish, Im sure we will learn the facts in about a year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmack View Post
    From the news reports the ILS on 28L was off (and has been for over a month) due to construction, all landings were VFR (visual). Just surprised and glad almost everyone survived, sad there was loss of life though, but only 2 of 300+ in an airline incident this big is rarely heard of. NTSB is supposed to be there about nowish, Im sure we will learn the facts in about a year.
    They have precision RNAV approaches in place on those runways with vertical guidance due to the ILS being out of service.

Even though it's a clear day, most of those aircraft will still load and fly the final instrument approach paths due to the fact that it's not the easiest thing to judge descent and speed in such a large aircraft. Those RNAV approaches are just as good as any ILS, so not really a factor in that way. Now, if they didn't set up the approach or their vertical navigation correctly (managing the computer interface), that could be a huge problem.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    You know, people died on the flight and many seriously injured. And yes, some of them were Korean. I doubt this kind of comment is what these people need to hear in a time of sorrow.
    We Ride In God's Country!

WWYD?
    Here's a link to the Chrunnicle:

SF jetliner crash kills 2, seriously injures 49 - SFGate

The quote from the out of town ladies at the end is just mind-bendingly clueless;

"We are really mad," said Dedra Stemley, a nurse from Houston. "They're telling us to go to Oakland. We don't know how to get to Oakland. We're not from here. We're strangers here. We don't know where to go."

A relative, Yolanda Smith, a hotel finance worker from New Orleans, fumed: "We're stuck here. They haven't given us anything, no information, no nothing. We need to get home to our job and our families."

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

I was there. It was surreal. I'm a dork and always watch the airplanes land even when I am flying as a passenger to get to work, to go fly airplanes.

The aircraft struck tail first and the APU went flying leaving a trail of white smoke along with the empinage (tail fins) then it slammed onto the runway and skidded left doing a 360 and stopped nose forward. Little people were jumping down the slides and black smoke began pouring out of the aircrafts right side. I think the grass around the aircraft caught fire as well. I just sat there and it wasn't until the green rescue trucks were spraying flame retardant that I took a photo with my iPad.

Needless to say a very sobering incident. No pilot wants to wind up "in the weeds".

Don't rush to judgement, in 2008 a 777 crashed at due to ice forming in the fuel lines. 214 had different engines but lets see what the NTSB comes up with. If the pilots cased the landing well I imagine the are having a very bad day.

mtbr member
    Wow, it's pretty amazing how many aviation experts there are here. Is there a correlation with riding bikes? Really... pretty cool.

just another bleepin SSer
    In all seriousness, my late uncle Ron Wilson was telling me about the impeccable safety record at SFO a few years back. There hadn’t been a serious aviation incident there since the 1970s or was it the 1960s??? Good to see everyone is back to being careless again.
    A newspaper reported that the last fatality involving a flight landing or taking off from SFO was the Resolution, which many of us know as the metal you see on Resolution trail in El Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve (also known as Skeggs). That was 1953. Home
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

middle ring single track

You other geeks will appreciate this...

Flight Track Log ? AAR214 ? 06-Jul-2013 ? RKSI / ICN - KSFO ? FlightAware

...from GPS so it's not super accurate but those last three entries are mind-boggling.

...85 knots!?!?
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

jms
    mtbr member

Tasteless. People died. Using the victims ethnicity, all the more so.

When I was 12 years old, my father died piloting a corporate plane while carrying six passengers. I'm thankful the internet didn't exist when that happened, and that I wasn't subjected to the kind of rather cruel and witless voyeuristic speculation, jokes and what passes, for "drive by" compassion in this thread, day and age, etc.

In my life, one of the three fights I've been in was beating the living snot out of another kid in the middle of Winchester Ave. for making a joke about the crash that took my dad's life. I still regret having that fight.

Have some respect for the value of other people's lives, and their children's lives. It's a gift not material for a joke.
    My Favorite Peeps:

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Tasteless. People died.
    Agreed.

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ..from GPS so it's not super accurate but those last three entries are mind-boggling.

...85 knots!?!?
    Too slow, too low.
    The aircraft had been in stick shake stall warning for 8 seconds before it hit the water. It takes 4 seconds for the engines to spool up from zero throttle to full power. Had the pilot gone full throttle immediately, he might have been able to pull out of the stall. Instead he pulled up, further increasing the stall condition.

Something went very wrong in that cockpit.

mtbr member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Leopold Porkstacker again.

Nothing racist about that at all. That's funny shit.
    Remember, its only bad news if it happens to you.

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Please reserve judgement until the NTSB releases a preliminary report. There could be many contributing factors including fatigue that could have caused this accident. Working aircraft or not.

ballbuster
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Leopold Porkstacker again.

Nothing racist about that at all. That's funny shit.
    Remember, its only bad news if it happens to you.
    Wow. That's a pretty sociopathic philosophy.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Wow. That's a pretty sociopathic philosophy.
    I'll be charitable and add, "Unless you're ten years old".
    My Favorite Peeps:

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    In response to “Zachariah” (an Audi driver) who was compelled to send me a PM titled “You have received a warning at Mtbr Forums”*which reads:

Quote Originally Posted by Some Audi driver who has no idea how to use his turnsignal to indicate abrupt lane changes to other motorists
    “Dear Leopold Porkstacker,

You have received a warning at Mtbr Forums.

Reason:
    -------
    Inappropriate Language

Nobody even found your comment close to being funny.
    -------

Original Post:
    Airliner Crash At SFO

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
    Mtbr Forums”
    No idea who this Audi-loving person is, but there is more to life than driving and Audi and cutting everyone off on the roadways without using your turnsignals.

As well as all the others stricken with the syndrome known as “stick shoved up your asses too deeply to understand sarcasm”, I have this for you:

I come from a very culturally-diverse background– my wife is African, I have cousins who are Chinese-American, and I’m also related to Republicans. I was raised to laugh at life, even when your chips are down and the news is not good, for if you always steep in depression eventually depression will take you down too... I had an uncle dying from cancer a few years ago and he joked his way to his deathbed; it brought all our spirits up to see him so chipper about dying when in reality there is nothing really funny about it, but he insisted otherwise. My mother dropped dead two days after September 13, 2001 and people shared their condolences, and my response was along the lines of, “Yeah, she was trying to help hunt down Saddam, she was a special agent working with Bush’s War on Terror™”– people took me seriously and then talked smack when I told them I was just kidding, but it brought laughter to my family members and a temporary sense of comedic relief to me in those dark times.

I wish others on this forum could see things positively along the lines of the “poking fun with everything and everyone” stance I take (the same stance all successful comedians take, although I’m not paid to be a comedian). Hell, I’ve got nothing against Koreans– my sons have been taking Tae Kwon Do lessons since November 2012, and we’re really good friends with their masters (who are Korean), who also laughed at my joke about the late kimchee delivery. Had the crash been seriously catastrophic I would have shown a bit of restraint though, I’m only human.

So, everyone: lighten the f—ck up. I meant no harm. Go smoke a gigantic fat joint and mellow out or something.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I thought the joke was funny. A little humor never hurts.

mtbr member
    ...and I’m also related to Republicans.
    You say this like it's a bad thing

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The aircraft struck tail first and the APU went flying leaving a trail of white smoke along with the empinage (tail fins) then it slammed onto the runway and skidded left doing a 360 and stopped nose forward.
    Very accurate!

Long live long rides

Snowjnky McDreamy
    my wife is African, I have cousins who are Chinese-American, and I’m also related to Republicans.
    So what your saying is your were hungry right? because your wife does not really know how to cook except for tree bark soup, your were tired of egg-rolls and everyone else in your family wont share?
    Make your own f'n kimchi you lazy cracker.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Puro Vida!

Airliner Crash At SFO

I was waiting for someone to say something-Leopold meant no harm, but probably wasn't the best place for the statement-people either don't know him, don't appreciate that type of humor or for whatever reason-

I'm guilty of taking it too far, just being stupid etc-etc. When we go on our TSP rides-no subject is off limits-like he said-life can sometimes suck and some people choose to find humor in it to deal with it.

Life has been getting crazy around here lately-really too bad and I think we haven't seen the worse yet-

Over it
    Jun 2010
    1. Leopold is one funny dude. And wicked smart.

2. He's even funnier in person.

3. Comedy is tragedy plus time.

4. Can we please focus our attention on our hatred of stupid equestrians and of posting secret trails on Strava? That is all...
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    1. Leopold is one funny dude. And wicked smart.

2. He's even funnier in person.

3. Comedy is tragedy plus time.

4. Can we please focus our attention on our hatred of stupid equestrians and of posting secret trails on Strava? That is all...
    +1

One thing I dislike about Americans vs Australians (now that I am both) is Americans inability to deal with humor in a serious situation. Humor helps people cope. The jokes would be flying in 30 seconds after a crash like this.

To go back to the great fizzled debate - when do we get to make gun death jokes in America since they are daily?

mtbr member
    Well, maybe we can get back to some serious news. They have named the pilots involved:

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Is KTVU the one who ran the commercials about how they were first to run the story of the crash?

Idiots...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    You say this like it's a bad thing
    It’s a running joke between Brewtality and me.

rho
    Life is strange
    It’s a running joke between Brewtality and me.
    I hear it involves lots of running and shot guns.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Would love to know how the KTVU thing happened.

Intern gone wild?

Prank that somehow got past the gatekeepers?

Rider

Airliner Crash At SFO

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373674692.668111.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  49.4 KB
    -Evil Wreckoning
    -Transition Patrol
    -Santa Cruz Nomad
    -Specialized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have to give the person that set this up major props!

Epic Failed by KTVU!

middle ring single track

KTVU gaffe

Oh my that's epic!

I figured it was YouTube video edit prank at first but it's at least as real as the moon landings:

KTVU Apology for Friday Noon report | www.ktvu.com

I bet some heads are rolling! (disgruntled employee???)

Makes LP's racist humor tame by comparison, c'est la vie!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373674692.668111.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  49.4 KB
    Funniest thing of the day. Someone is probably unemployed now, but it was well worth it.
    Most epic failure ever.

roadie
    take away: monitor your interns better.

between this yesterday's train derailment i'm a little concerned about the rest of my travel plans

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I hear it involves lots of running and shot guns.
    Don't forget the banjos

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I guess one can't blame KTVU for this ....

NTSB: Intern confirmed false crew names in to Asiana crash - CNN.com

... I guess that's what 'summer' internship is all about!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SunGuy View Post
    I guess one can't blame KTVU for this ....

NTSB: Intern confirmed false crew names in to Asiana crash - CNN.com

... I guess that's what 'summer' internship is all about!
    So who provided the names to KTVU? I wanna buy that man a beer!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

I'm a "she".
    To be honest, I didn't get that it was a joke when I first watched that video clip posted... until more comments came in, which made me reexamine those names. It was a very tragic event, esp. considering (now) three families lost their only child to a supposedly fun adventure (a summer camp in a foreign country), but I must say that "play" on the names was ingenious! It apparently fooled more than just that news anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    take away: monitor your interns better.
    That reminded me... recently, Mr. Mud lost his intern at work because the kid was caught on video, more than one time, to walk out of the cafeteria without paying. Despite the business's effort to save him, he was fired under facility and security's pressure. And guess what. The cafeteria was operated by a 3rd party and it's called Grab 'n Go!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    It was either:

Sum Yum Gai
    or
    No Pah King Wei
    or
    Lei Ying Lo
    or
    Mi Hung Lo
    but most likely

Sum Liying Fuc
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It was either:

Sum Yum Gai
    or
    No Pah King Wei
    or
    Lei Ying Lo
    or
    Mi Hung Lo
    but most likely

Sum Liying Fuc
    O u so funny mista!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It was either:

Sum Yum Gai
    or
    No Pah King Wei
    or
    Lei Ying Lo
    or
    Mi Hung Lo
    but most likely

Sum Liying Fuc
    Racist!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Slowest Rider
    I can imagine the NTSB summer intern getting the call from the station for verification:
    "Sure, those are the names. Bye" (Snicker, Snicker, Time to look for a new job....)

Still a question of which KTVU employee started this, and why their editors completely missed it.

Ironic in the face of their coverage and accuracy self-promotion on the Asiana crash coverage.
    From the SF Chronicle:

KTVU Channel 2 News owned this breaking news story with a number of firsts!

- First on-air.
    - First on-line.
    - First with alerts to mobile devices.
    - First on Twitter & Facebook.
    - First with aerial shots from KTVU NewsChopper 2.
    - First with a live reporter from the scene.
    - First live interview with anyone connected to someone on the flight.

Rosenthal is quoted in the promo: “Being first on air and on every platform in all aspects of our coverage was a great accomplishment, but being 100% accurate, effectively using our great sources and social media without putting a single piece of erroneous information on our air, is what we are most proud of as a newsroom.”
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I can imagine the NTSB summer intern getting the call from the station for verification:
    "Sure, those are the names. Bye" (Snicker, Snicker, Time to look for a new job....)

Still a question of which KTVU employee started this, and why their editors completely missed it.

Ironic in the face of their coverage and accuracy self-promotion on the Asiana crash coverage.
    From the SF Chronicle:

KTVU Channel 2 News owned this breaking news story with a number of firsts!

- First on-air.
    - First on-line.
    - First with alerts to mobile devices.
    - First on Twitter & Facebook.
    - First with aerial shots from KTVU NewsChopper 2.
    - First with a live reporter from the scene.
    - First live interview with anyone connected to someone on the flight.

Rosenthal is quoted in the promo: “Being first on air and on every platform in all aspects of our coverage was a great accomplishment, but being 100% accurate, effectively using our great sources and social media without putting a single piece of erroneous information on our air, is what we are most proud of as a newsroom.”
    And let's not forget, first to [attempt] to profit from the misfortune of other.
    My Favorite Peeps:

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    "First live interview with anyone connected to someone on the flight"

We are here with Jose Manuel, of Colombia. He hand picked the coffee beans that were used on the flight.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    And let's not forget, first to [attempt] to profit from the misfortune of other.
    Well of course. If it bleeds, it leads. News media outlets have climb all over each other to try to be on top. They strive to be first, even if they know what they are reporting is wrong. And when something mundane happens, it has to be sensationalized into something big.
    The last few years I have preferred to get my news from talk radio stations and the Internet. Less hype.
    Typically I can just read a few headlines and have a good idea of what's going on in the world. That's all I need.

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

And of course, some people just can't take jokes -
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...lot-names?lite

mtbr member
    a bit more subtle...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airliner Crash At SFO-sun-times-headline.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

Anybody see the crash out there window? I recently lived in Millbrae for 5 years and many houses view this runway.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Probably whoever recorded this:

Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    Well, maybe we can get back to some serious news. They have named the pilots involved:

…they just happened to the recording TV with their phone....hmmmmm….
    Long live long rides

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    …they just happened to the recording TV with their phone....hmmmmm….
    Tivo?

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Tivo?
    Yeah, could be a recording of a recording. No beer for Matthew.
    Long live long rides

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Oh my that's epic!

I figured it was YouTube video edit prank at first but it's at least as real as the moon landings:

KTVU Apology for Friday Noon report | www.ktvu.com

I bet some heads are rolling! (disgruntled employee???)

Makes LP's racist humor tame by comparison, c'est la vie!
    But my humour wasn’t racist. It apparently went right over almost everyone’s heads. So easy for everyone to bury their heads in the sand and claim “racist!” these days. Someone please point out to me what was racist about it? I did not refer to anyone in a derogatory fashion– I did not use any racist terminology to identify any individuals of any particular group. Christ people, lighten the f_¢k up already. Go get a hummer, or do a bonghit, or go drink a beer or something… or if killing small furry animals is your thing, then go git yer gun.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    But my humour wasn’t racist. It apparently went right over almost everyone’s heads. So easy for everyone to bury their heads in the sand and claim “racist!” these days. Someone please point out to me what was racist about it? I did not refer to anyone in a derogatory fashion– I did not use any racist terminology to identify any individuals of any particular group. Christ people, lighten the f_¢k up already. Go get a hummer, or do a bonghit, or go drink a beer or something… or if killing small furry animals is your thing, then go git yer gun.
    I thought Captain Sum Ting Wong and Ho Li Fuk was quite funny. ..and your joke was funny.. But then I am Russian, so no sensibilities here... I would not have been offended at Captain Promakhnulkin...

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Porkstacker's kimchee comment was not racist at all. It was not degrading towards Asian people. It did not play off of racist stereotypes. It's not like he made a joke about Asians and their inability to drive.
    Kimchee is a food consumed in Korea. He made a joke against a country. It would as if an American Airlines jet crashed in another country and some body made a joke about their Big Mac delivery being lost.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    In response to “Zachariah” (an Audi driver) who was compelled to send me a PM titled “You have received a warning at Mtbr Forums”*which reads:

,,,, and I’m also related to Republicans. ,,,.
    Hey I'm a Republican!! Staunch at that. Are we related?? At any rate, I enjoyed the humor in your comment. And the prank on the TV station was epic. Put that in your bong and smoke it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Hey I'm a Republican!! Staunch at that. Are we related?? At any rate, I enjoyed the humor in your comment. And the prank on the TV station was epic. Put that in your bong and smoke it.
    We don't have any republicans around here ... they're extinct in this state.

mtbr member
    I love Kimchee. If you are ever in Whole Foods, pick up a bag of Farmhouse Culture (they make a wicked sour kraut too...look for the Jalapeno style). It's not traditional Korean style but heck of tasty. If you ever have a cold, head straight to Happy House in Santa Clara and order Kimchee Chigae (chee-gay)...****ing delicious and will knock the snot out of you in the process. I'd like to learn how to make it. Does anyone know of any Koreans or other peoples who might show me how...the You Tube videos aren't great. I want a long fermentation.

Ko-map-sum-ni-da
    I'm not sure how this works.

fc
    But my humour wasn’t racist. It apparently went right over almost everyone’s heads. ......

It wasn't that racist. But clearly inappropriate 6 hours after the incident...

fc
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track

"Ethnic" humor then...

Yeah maybe I overreached using the term "racist" (more a reflection of the KTVU gaffe) but whether racist or ethnic or nationalist humor as such will likely be offensive. (Especially in reference to a tragedy; the timing of the kimchee joke is what made it funny and also what made it offensive)

Korea is an ethnically homologous country (unlike the USA) so a joke about the nation will be taken as a joke about a race. The other comment about it being analogous with joking about Big Macs is a bit of a stretch.

BTW from wiki; "Kimchi is Korea's national dish. It is so important to the nation's culture and cuisine that Koreans say "kimchi" instead of "cheese" when posing for photographs."

But hey; I laughed at both "kimchee" and "Sum Ting Wong" so I'm also a bad person---it's also a bit funny that you seem to be offended about being classed as racially offensive!

(Just heard on the news that Asiana Airlines is dropping their suit against KTVU; the station's multiple apologies were apparently enough)

Snowjnky McDreamy
    But my humour wasn’t racist
    This is 'Merica and we say humor.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I just tried kimchi for the 2nd time, after I saw a piece on probiotic foods--found it at Trader Joe's for $1.99. Two thumbs up!

Squashyo- the secret to making kimchi is burying it, at least that's what I learned about it from MASH:

BJ: I'd get title to this land, Major, before word gets out.
    Frank: Huh?
    Hawkeye: Don't you understand, man? You've struck cole slaw!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Have you ever been to Orange County?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Yeah Skyno, what is up with Orange County? Stronghold?

fc
    IPA will save America

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Or Eldorado, Placer, Nevada, etc. Pretty much anywhere outside LA basin and the Bay area and you will find us normal people.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Man it feels like it sometimes.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Or Eldorado, Placer, Nevada, etc. Pretty much anywhere outside LA basin and the Bay area and you will find us normal people.

...by county

...what really matters

Snowjnky McDreamy
    one can only hope.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Over it
    Jun 2010
    The OC has been losing GOP numbers for decades, although they still outnumber Democrats 41%-32%. But 2 of their 4 U.S. Representatives are Democrats, so they're slowly coming to their senses!

(aren't most equestrians Republicans?!)

Btw- Back on topic, I always thought John Wayne Airport would have a crash before SFO; their take-offs are sketchy steep (the Newport Beach residents don't want to hear the noise).

mtbr member
    I didn't think it was racist per se but I also didn't think it was that funny or creative. I'm not a stiff either. I have a very glib, borderline morbid sense of humor but what I've learned over the years is that rarely comes across the way I want it to on the internet. If I knew you personally, knew your inflection, mannerisms etc. I might have found it funny, but I don't so I didn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The "names" were covered by The Colbert Report...

Sure the "Fake names" are what have completely damaged Asiana Airlines reputation...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Asiana flight crash at San Francisco - Page 90 - PPRuNe Forums

quite a long thread on an aviation forum regarding the accident, w/ a lot of pilot types weighing in as well. seems like it might be a combination of task saturation, CRM and also possibly training/discomfort w/ hand flying a visual approach.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Interesting to see that the OC has become much less of a Republican stronghold - I used to live down there behind the Orange Curtain, but I guess times they are a changin'

As somebody who is not a big fan of the Democrats either, I do find it amusing that some Republicans refer to themselves as the "normal people" - they must not read the positions taken by their own party!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I'm not a stiff either.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  42.3 KB
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Axe
    Custom User Title

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    one can only hope.
    Don't you want somebody left to pay taxes?

mtbr member
    When you say "pay" you mean "do everything in their power to evade" right?

Axe
    Custom User Title

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    When you say "pay" you mean "do everything in their power to evade" right?
    Of course. Still pay, though.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Actually, red states (by far) take in more federal dollars and pay fewer taxes. Top ten:

1. D.C. (Blue)
    2. North Dakota (Red)
    3. New Mexico (Blue)
    4. Mississippi (Red)
    5. Alaska (Red)
    6. West Virginia (Red)
    7. Montana (Red)
    8. Alabama (Red)
    9. South Dakota (Red)
    10. Arkansas (Red)

(17 of the top 20 are red states) Tax Foundation

Did we really go from a plane crash to kimchi to racism to politics?! Oy...

mtbr member
    You guys with the political talk are going to get this thread killed. Enough of it. Lets go back to talking about kimchi and how bigoted Porkstacker is.

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

I'm impressed PPRUNE was referenced on MTBR. I have nothing else to add...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

I drove to my old house in Millbrae and we would've had a birdseye view of the crash and fire ... kind of glad we didn't see it. I wouldn't want to explain the whole thing to my two year olds. Remind me to stick to normal airlines.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I drove to my old house in Millbrae and we would've had a birdseye view of the crash and fire ... kind of glad we didn't see it. I wouldn't want to explain the whole thing to my two year olds. Remind me to stick to normal airlines.
    What's a "normal" airline?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Only if they pay more
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Wonder bread airlines that dont serve kimchi.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Crazed Country Rebel
    Wonder bread airlines that dont serve kimchi.
    I sticking with good ol AMERICAN Airlines, Southwest & Alaska. Yee Haw!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    One that I've heard of before with pilots that know how to make a landing and can judge airspeed and altitude.

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

One that I've heard of before with pilots that know how to make a landing and can judge airspeed and altitude.

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

Why do they need to "judge airspeed and altitude"? They have gauges in the cockpit that will tell them exactly what their airspeed and altitude is at anytime during the flight. No judgement calls required. Just read your fawking gauges!!!

just another bleepin SSer
    One of the surprises I had when I first heard of this crash was that it was an Asiana flight on the ground. When I lived in Korea from 2000-01, of the two South Korean airlines (Asiana and Korean Airlines), Asiana was known as the safer of the two.

For those that will only fly the American-based airlines, to me that is kind of like demanding that we keep our American-style medical insurance. We pay more and get sh!tty service for the American version. Whenever I fly to Asia now, I try to get on an Asian carrier. Service, comfort, food - all much better than what you get on United or American. There is a reason that Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and the like have been rated in the top airlines for many years now, and US carriers haven't been in top 10 in years. Here is a listing for 2013 (and note that Asiana, your unknown airline, was number 5). The Asian airlines are slowly getting bumped down off the top spots by the Middle Eastern airlines (Emirates & Qatar), which is just pushing down the American carriers even further. Only north American carrier to make top 20 was Air Canada.

Even with this crash, I would take an Asiana flight over a United flight. Incidents are so rare that the most dangerous part of the trip still is the drive to the airport (or in the case of a flight to Korea, the drive from the airport to your hotel).
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Have you heard/tried of Lufthansa, Singapore, Emirates, and Cathay before? or is this a comment directed towards the fact that you mean only the American base airlines you have heard off before.. like American, United, Virgin, and what ever else the mid west has to offer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org View Post
    One of the surprises I had when I first heard of this crash was that it was an Asiana flight on the ground. When I lived in Korea from 2000-01, of the two South Korean airlines (Asiana and Korean Airlines), Asiana was known as the safer of the two.

For those that will only fly the American-based airlines, to me that is kind of like demanding that we keep our American-style medical insurance. We pay more and get sh!tty service for the American version. Whenever I fly to Asia now, I try to get on an Asian carrier. Service, comfort, food - all much better than what you get on United or American. There is a reason that Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and the like have been rated in the top airlines for many years now, and US carriers haven't been in top 10 in years. Here is a listing for 2013 (and note that Asiana, your unknown airline, was number 5). The Asian airlines are slowly getting bumped down off the top spots by the Middle Eastern airlines (Emirates & Qatar), which is just pushing down the American carriers even further. Only north American carrier to make top 20 was Air Canada.

Even with this crash, I would take an Asiana flight over a United flight. Incidents are so rare that the most dangerous part of the trip still is the drive to the airport (or in the case of a flight to Korea, the drive from the airport to your hotel).
    Some of the airlines mentioned above are big names, bigger than Asiana. I never fly, so take my opinion with a grain of salt ... I bet you can get a good deal on an Asiana ticket ...

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Sad but true. The real reason the pilot profession is one foot in the grave.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Virgin is American based? I thought it was ran by a Pommie ?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    +8928924. I would also add Etihad to the list right after Qatar. Having to travel for work (we only get economy, no business), the worst legs of my trips are always UA, AA or some other crap-bag domestic based carrier. it's fine for a domestic trip of <6 hrs, but any long haul segment can quickly become miserable.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Virgin America is based in Burlingame, Virgin Atlantic in the the UK I believe, and Virgin Galactic HQ is in New Mexico but they report to the UK..you know, space travel is quite confusing once you try making it practical.

mtbr member

Great! Service, comfort and food. Too bad they don't rate ability to fly and land their aircraft. American rated pilots can fly VFR but it's not required with some other cariers. Oh and I'll take our health care system over any other thank you.. That is at least for now

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    All airlines that I have flown on suck in one way or another. I prefer to drive.

I haven't been on any of the newer, fancy ones though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

And there goes cabatoge and the beginning of the end of the American airline pilot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

All airlines that I have flown on suck in one way or another. I prefer to drive.

I'm also a driving guy.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Porkstacker's kimchee comment was not racist at all. It was not degrading towards Asian people. It did not play off of racist stereotypes. It's not like he made a joke about Asians and their inability to drive.
    Kimchee is a food consumed in Korea. He made a joke against a country. It would as if an American Airlines jet crashed in another country and some body made a joke about their Big Mac delivery being lost.
    EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone who gets it!!! Thank you!!!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

Same here. Was once upgraded (free of charge) in first class on my first trip to Kenya in 2003—I had no idea how rad first class is… but airports and airport security, and all the waiting—sucks. I’ll stay home and hit up some singletrack instead of going on vacation; zero emissions… unless I ate Mexican food (no offense to any Mexicans– you know I love your food… and have loved your women several times before).

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Flying's for Queers.
    Just sayin.
    Unless of course your flyin down Single track.
    Aiming for Horses.
    Then flyin is funn.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Great! Service, comfort and food. Too bad they don't rate ability to fly and land their aircraft. American rated pilots can fly VFR but it's not required with some other cariers. Oh and I'll take our health care system over any other thank you.. That is at least for now
    What are you even talking about? None of this makes any sense.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well then, there are no "normal" airlines. Basing an entire carrier, not to mention a country or continent, on this one accident is ridiculous. Given that US airlines have crashed plenty of planes, I take it you never fly any US airlines?

Some of these comments are beyond idiotic.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    So I heard on the news that an Asiana flight (214 again) had to do a go-around today at SFO. They might be a little jumpy at this point...

Elitest thrill junkie
    So I heard on the news that an Asiana flight (214 again) had to do a go-around today at SFO. They might be a little jumpy at this point...
    I would rather they go around if they are the slightest bit unsure. That's the safest practice.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I would rather they get it right on the first attempt!

I've been flying for a looong time and I've never been on a plane that had to do that. And I've never heard any friends/family mention it either.

VV And you don't know the first thing about me. I've been flying commercial planes for 50 years, spent 4 years in the Air Force, and my dad worked for Delta for 35 years. No go-arounds in our experience. Maybe we've just been lucky. Plus, I was just making a little joke. No need to get your hackles up!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    ^^ I would rather they get it right on the first attempt!

I've been flying for a looong time and I've never been on a plane that had to do that. And I've never heard any friends/family mention it either.
    You don't know the first thing about flying, sorry. I'm a long time pilot, in addition to my aviation management functions. Pilots are not taught to "get it right the first time". That kind of pressure and those situations create accidents. It might be that their skill allows most approaches to result in a landing, but go-arounds happen to all pilots and chances are if you haven't done one in a long time it's not your exceptional skill that has gotten you through, but dumb luck and poor decision making when you should have gone around at least a few times.

Not doing go-arounds is a problem in all segments of aviation.

Expecting every approach to result in a landing is a big no-no in aviation.

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Flying's for Queers.
    Just sayin.
    Unless of course your flyin down Single track.
    Aiming for Horses.
    Then flyin is funn.
    Agreed. I prefer my DH bike to the worlds fastest civilian aircraft. Go figure...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just got back from a week in Hawaii this morning....https://i.imgur.com/WQKazh4.png

Joking aside, time to finally go ride my bike!!!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMTB View Post
    Just got back from a week in Hawaii this morning....https://i.imgur.com/WQKazh4.png

Joking aside, time to finally go ride my bike!!!
    That is racist
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Airliner Crash At SFO

That is racist
    You mean Racer 5 right?

It's about showing up.
    People react differently to such things. Humor is one reaction, trying to make sense of it is another, extreme protectiveness of the greatest sensitivities is another still.

I would not think of allowing myself to express humor. Humor can, indeed, bring pain.But that's just me.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member

Airliner Crash At SFO

More victims of the airliner crash and corresponding fallout.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-76791460/

I think this is ridiculous. These people are not at fault. They were duped by a summer intern at an otherwise credible source. Nobody was truly hurt by this. Let these three producers go back to work so they can support their families.
    I would encourage everybody in the Bay Area to email KTVU and tell them to re-hire these producers.

Edit: if you email them, make sure you use a fake name like Ben Dover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is exactly what's wrong with America... A plane *crashes* at SFO and we fire three TV producers for putting "Captain Sum Ting Wong," and "Wi Tu Lo" as the names of the pilots on TV. Are there Koreans or Korean-American's that are that offended by this that it should require that three people careers are ruined?

How silly would I look if I starting protesting FOX because as a white male, I'm being misrepresented by Homer Simpson?

This completely smells like "White Guilt".

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    More victims of the airliner crash and corresponding fallout.

LA Times

I think this is ridiculous. These people are not at fault. They were duped by a summer intern at an otherwise credible source. Nobody was truly hurt by this. Let these three producers go back to work so they can support their families.
    I would encourage everybody in the Bay Area to email KTVU and tell them to re-hire these producers.

Edit: if you email them, make sure you use a fake name like Ben Dover.
    pfft - makes perfect sense to fire the people who will absolutely never let anything like that happen again...and hire a few noobs who will make all new and exciting on air blunders...

common sense eludes so many....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Since some time has passed I would like to say how lucky I am to have married an Asian woman. Because of that, I can make funny jokes about Asians and yet not be racist because I married one. Here is an example of what I can say without being racist:

If you get your iPhone wet, put it in a bag of rice. The rice will attract Asians who will fix it for you.

Cally on
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Since some time has passed I would like to say how lucky I am to have married an Asian woman. Because of that, I can make funny jokes about Asians and yet not be racist because I married one. Here is an example of what I can say without being racist:

If you get your iPhone wet, put it in a bag of rice. The rice will attract Asians who will fix it for you.

Cally on
    Now that is a great joke!

So, just like Dr. Watley from Sienfeld (now better know as Walter White), who converted to Judaism just for the joke-telling immunity, are you saying that you married her mainly for the jokes?!

Well, in that case, since my gf & future wife is Asian, would this be the sort of thing I can get away with saying?:

Why do Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese all not get along? Over 1.5 billion people, and not a single one of them really, truly knows how to say "I'm sorry".

mtbr member
    Stop stealing our women you lucky bastards!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    pfft - makes perfect sense to fire the people who will absolutely never let anything like that happen again...and hire a few noobs who will make all new and exciting on air blunders...

Yeah, they would be damn sure to double and triple check everything from now on. Oh, kind like it used to be.....................

I'm still surprised the anchor read the names with at straight face.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    This is exactly what's wrong with America... A plane *crashes* at SFO and we fire three TV producers for putting "Captain Sum Ting Wong," and "Wi Tu Lo" as the names of the pilots on TV. Are there Koreans or Korean-American's that are that offended by this that it should require that three people careers are ruined?

How silly would I look if I starting protesting FOX because as a white male, I'm being misrepresented by Homer Simpson?

From the Colbert Report.
    The names were Chinese, but he airline is Korean. I'm not sure what that means, but I did laugh.

When I heard the report, I laughed a bit at the names but also on how KTVU could not tell it was a prank. I still snicker at "Wi Tu Lo". I guess I'm a classless, insensitive mtb rider.

Over it
    Jun 2010

I think it's more about accountability for a lapse in journalistic integrity; it never should have happened in the first place (although I'll laugh about it for years). I'm sure their advertising revenues have dropped since the incident. If the producers don't take the fall, who should?

They weren't my favorite news station before, but I haven't watched them a bit since the big gaffe. I mean, what else are they getting wrong? The Giants might win another game before Labor Day, and they could completely miss it!

squashyo/skyno- You guys have been sitting on those two for a while. Well played, gentlemen!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Yeah, they would be damn sure to double and triple check everything from now on.
    They just published the names of the producers who had been fired: Neus Snafu, Chek McFukup, and Proof Dontreadit.

Let's ride

Are you using common sense to deduce that those 4 producers would never make the mistake again?

What I want to know, is who is the comic genius that came up with that prank, and names? Someone at Krazy Be You?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Are you using common sense to deduce that those 4 producers would never make the mistake again?

What I want to know, is who is the comic genius that came up with that prank, and names? Someone at Krazy Be You?
    Well, stupid me, we should just execute everyone who ever makes a mistake...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They just published the names of the producers who had been fired: Neus Snafu, Chek McFukup, and Proof Dontreadit.
    I thought one of their names were "Munchma Quchie?"

(not mine)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post

You have to wonder if the bright bulb intern at the NTSB used an account and left his phone number to confirm it.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post

no, they were fired for being asleep at the wheel. Any body who with any brains whatsoever, who was paying attention, would have said 'What?!? GTFO with that!' and not aired it.

I don't think 'white guilt' played into this at all.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    no, they were fired for being asleep at the wheel. Any body who with any brains whatsoever, who was paying attention, would have said 'What?!? GTFO with that!' and not aired it.

Interesting point I just thought of. We don't even know that they saw the names. Maybe they just got a message that the NTSB had released the names, and in a hurry to get out the info first like they love they said ok run it now. Someone else typed them up for the broadcast, who for sure should have picked up on it.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Airliner Crash At SFO

Anybody see the fed ruling today requiring "non experienced" pilots from overseas to use special instruments while lading at SFO? You guys that dig these carriers above may want to get your wills in order!

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Anybody see the fed ruling today requiring "non experienced" pilots from overseas to use special instruments while lading at SFO? You guys that dig these carriers above may want to get your wills in order!
    As long as the autopilot and auto throttles are on and the FMS is programmed your good! LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    As long as the autopilot and auto throttles are on and the FMS is programmed your good! LOL
    Sure, because no automated system EVER fails.

Elitest thrill junkie

Depends on who was fired and the circumstances/systems in place. I guarantee no human would be able to sift through the amount of data that the news agency must sift through and not have this happen. It's just not humanly possible to assimilate that much data with no mistakes. Humans are poor machines and poor at catching exceptions (like you can prove with signal detection theory). So were there adequate measures in place to make sure a story is vetted? Who's fault is it if there were not? Is it being blamed on the people least likely to be able to sort out the data (actual tv personalities that read the teleprompter/news)? My job is to investigate mishaps and this relates highly to human performance. Like the guy talking about the FMS above, the FMS will do what it's told, it's the humans that make the errors 99.99% of the time. Humans are simply not great machines. This isn't a cop-out, but the blame should be placed with that in mind. Just replacing with another newscaster who will make the same mistake at some point in the future because they are human doesn't solve anything, not to mention being pretty unfair to the one that got fired for doing something that may not be possible to avoid.

If there's anything/one to blame, it's the vetting process and who makes the policy for that at the news agency, unless the policy was not followed, then it's that person's fault.

I'm really diggin it!

Airliner Crash At SFO

Sure, because no automated system EVER fails.
    Nahhh! I'm just a trained monkey in the eyes of the bean counters. Who wants a pilot with skill? Nobody...

Trail Gnome
    ^^^captain “we so low”