Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Air quality updates

All,

Just a headís up....smoke from the Ferguson fire is making its way north and east. Itís hazy today in South Lake Tahoe, but still no strong smell.

I was further south yesterday (Marklieville and Monitor pass). Itís worse down there. Poor visibility and distinct smoke smell.

Monsoonal flow over the next couple days could bring more smoke to the South Lake Tahoe area. Youíll find clearer air north and west (ie truckee, soda springs, Grouse ridge).

Post yer updates here

fc
    head minion Administrator
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    We are going up to Truckee Thursday. Can someone put out the fire? Seriously I hope it doesn't turn out like the Yosemite fire from a few years ago. The whole Tahoe basin was shrouded in smoke.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Has it been more humid lately? I went for a ride and I swore it was in the 90s and then looked at the weather from the day and it said it was low 80s and didn't believe it. Maybe it is my knee pads heating me up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Update for Wednesday. Itís VERY smokey on the west side of the sierra crest today.
    Hazy and strong smoke smell. (Yuck).

Tahoe basin is slightly better. Still hazy, but smoke smell is much lighter.

And cal trans is paving between meyers and SLT. Expect delays if you come up mid-week.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    Update for Wednesday. Itís VERY smokey on the west side of the sierra crest today.
    Hazy and strong smoke smell. (Yuck).

Tahoe basin is slightly better. Still hazy, but smoke smell is much lighter.

And cal trans is paving between meyers and SLT. Expect delays if you come up mid-week.
    Smoke just engulfed Truckee - Northwest wind from Ferguson fire. Not smelly but definitely smokey!

Paper or plastic?
    Will it reach graeagle?

mtbr member
    Itís gotten worse throughout the day today, getting into that ďgrossĒ territory in south lake

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Itís gotten worse throughout the day today, getting into that ďgrossĒ territory in south lake
    90 degrees and smokey...is there anything else I need to not want to ride?

mtbr member
    House chores for me today, then escaping to Santa cruz for a few days tomorrow

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Air quality updates

Damn, leave on friday for 3
    Days at mammoth and 7 in truckee. Hopefully this
    Monsoonal flow we have in socal will drop a torrential amount of rain by the time it gets to the Ferguson fire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Truckee cleared out. A fair bit. To the point where my plan to not ride is getting harder to justify.
    The smoke plume appears to be on the west slop, then the zephyr pushes it over the hill. Was smokey ish in Truckee this morning, then around noon or 1 it got gnarly, but is now better.
    Zorg, Webber lake was clear all morning and that's half the way to Mills. Day-to-day tho.

Wēk SŰs
    A bit hazy today @ Northstar, but it's OK now. A smell of smoke, but nothing horrid up here.

fading away
    I have lived in Sillycorn Valley for 48 years, and I donít recall the summertime weather resembling that of the sticky sweaty unbearable buttcrack of the southern US states. I go to sleep at night with all the windows open and a fan blowing on me (temperatures at 10:00PM finally go down to 64įF but humidity is upwards of 85%)Ö without the fan I wake up several times in the middle of the night covered in sweat. This humidity really sucks. Too many people living here. Too many people exhaling carbon dioxide. A fraction of the number of oxygen-producing plants and trees in the valley as compared to 20+ years ago (stripmalls and close-proximity asshole-to-bellybutton Santa Row-eqsue housing donít produce any oxygen). In the morning (6:00 - 7:00AM itís already up to 70į with high humidity) I am covered with sweat after getting out of the shower. The air is thick with crap floating around in it. My eyes are puffy and my sinus congested when I wake up. Is it just me?
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I have lived in Sillycorn Valley for 48 years, and I donít recall the summertime weather resembling that of the sticky sweaty unbearable buttcrack of the southern US states. I go to sleep at night with all the windows open and a fan blowing on me (temperatures at 10:00PM finally go down to 64įF but humidity is upwards of 85%)Ö without the fan I wake up several times in the middle of the night covered in sweat. This humidity really sucks. Too many people living here. Too many people exhaling carbon dioxide. A fraction of the number of oxygen-producing plants and trees in the valley as compared to 20+ years ago (stripmalls and close-proximity asshole-to-bellybutton Santa Row-eqsue housing donít produce any oxygen). In the morning (6:00 - 7:00AM itís already up to 70į with high humidity) I am covered with sweat after getting out of the shower. The air is thick with crap floating around in it. My eyes are puffy and my sinus congested when I wake up. Is it just me?
    Weather systems are causing the humidity. Not people.

Some interesting weather this season!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Air Much better in SLT today. Hopefully delta breeze will keep the air clear and not push the fires around too much thru the weekend.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    What's the word today? I was planning to come to SLT for a week starting Monday. Is it a bad idea?

mtbr member
    We are also getting dust from the Sahara Desert.
    No smoke here in the Napa Valley, but the sky is certainly not clear blue.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.ZHu5Goj7u0k

Air quality updates-823925_1280x720.jpg

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Can anyone comment on the air quality in the trails above South Lake Tahoe? We were planning on a week of hard riding (few shuttles, mostly riding up as well as down) and it looks like it was pretty awful this afternoon. I'm thinking I have to cancel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You could definitely see some smoke looking across the lake from the west shore today, looked worse on the east side. I wouldn't cancel riding because of it. Then again, I've never canceled a ride because of smoke, I guess it doesn't bother me much. The Tahoe City area has been pretty clear all week. Depending on which way the wind blows, some areas around the lake should be relatively clear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    South Tahoe wasn't too bad this morning, you can certainly see the haze, and in the occasional spot get a bit of a smoke smell, but it didn't seem to affect my riding.

mtbr member
    Rode from stagecoach to toads today, looked bad but really did not smell it, rain cleaned up the air quite a bit this afternoon. Dark meat in the Vansickle, stagecoach cold creek area, all time going down the backside of Freel, toads was dry as a bone but maybe it got some rain today, bet everything on the east side of the lake is riding good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paper or plastic?
    Truckee late afternoon. A bit hazy

mtbr member
    Pretty clear today

fc
    Air quality updates-cur_aqi_ca_nv.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Some haze today. Can still see east-west across Tahoe, but not quite north-south.
    No smell.

mtbr member
    Yesterday from the bench, today is similar

Last night from live at Lakeview

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Up at soda springs right now and it is hazy with occasional smell of smoke. Was going to ride this evening, postponing to an early morning ride instead when the air should be a little better

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The Marsh (Creek) Fire is smoking Mt.Diablo every morning.
    Air quality updates-00000img_00000_burst20180728085151-xl.jpg

Smelled OK on Lime Ridge at 8AM. But it looked like it was blowing this way.

Lime looks a bit different. Still a lot of red fire retardant in places. :-(
    Air quality updates-img_20180728_085053-xl.jpg

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Hazy skyís and hazy beer just seem to go well together

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looks like Sand Harbour. We were on Flume and Rim yesterday. A little hazy, but no smell and nice beeze at the Marlette.

Air looks similar today. A little haze to mess up the nice long distance views, but otherwise very good riding

mtbr member
    Looks like Sand Harbor. We were on Flume and Rim yesterday. A little hazy, but no smell and nice beeze at the Marlette.

Air looks similar today. A little haze to mess up the nice long distance views, but otherwise very good riding
    Ha good luck getting into San Harbor yesterday, We left south lake at 7:15 yesterday to beat the heat and potential parking issues at the bottom of Chimney. Was greeted by a half hour wait just to get to this point where the center lane started for folks trying to get into sand harbor, the folks headed south bound towards sand harbor fared much worse, backup to turn into sand harbor went all the way to the tunnel creek cafe and even those just wanting to head further south than sand harbor could only move at the pace money takers at the entrance could process people.

Air quality updates-img_4896.jpg

We did Tahoe Meadows over Marlette overlook, swam in Marlette then down Chimney to chimney beach to swim
    Air quality updates-img_4899.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We saw same. There was NO parking for any Tahoe beach available by 10am.
    Every turnout was full, and some cars were over the white line.
    Sure glad we didnít go to the west shore. I think it would have taken a full hour just to get past Richardson and Pope beach.

We probably rode past TahoeBC at Marlette. There was a big group swimming at the dam.

mtbr member

Air quality updates

We swam at the other end at the point with the old chimney

Air is worse today from echo summit looking towards the lake which you can usually see

mtbr member
    Rode Elwell on Saturday, pretty smoky with a faint smell. Hough/Quincy has been really smoky for about 5 days now. Rode stagecoach to star lake on Sunday, hazy but no smell and not nearly as hazy/smoky as Lakes Basin and Hough.

mtbr member
    Sunday 7/29

Along the Feather River heading to Quincy
    Air quality updates-img_0999.jpg
    Hough overlooking Crystal Lake
    Air quality updates-img_1013.jpg
    Mills Peak new trail descent
    Air quality updates-img_1019.jpg
    Air was thick - but a fun day even with the bad air.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Sunday 7/29

Along the Feather River heading to Quincy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1210224
    Hough overlooking Crystal Lake

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1210225
    Mills Peak new trail descent

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	1210226
    Air was thick - but a fun day even with the bad air.
    Thank you
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Thank you
    We hit Mills and Hough on Saturday. It seems like Quincy, or more specifically the top of Hough was getting hit from both fires. The top part of Hough from the summit definitely felt thick and I wondered how the rest of the ride would be. The lower we got the better the air got. Mills was similar. Still super super good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bad in SLT on Monday (7/30). Very poor visibility, and light smoke smell.
    Good day for a rest day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Probably as smoky as Tahoe City area has been all summer. Very faint smell, maybe 6-8 miles visibility across the lake, though the sky looked fairly blue above the trails near town. Actually makes for great riding as the smoke is blocking some of the sun. Today was so good, no reason to not ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I arrived at Northstar this afternoon around 4pm. The air is terrible. You can smell the smoke and you couldnít even see the sun.

fc
    Air quality updates-screen-shot-2018-07-30-7.40.14-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I arrived at Northstar this afternoon around 4pm. The air is terrible. You can smell the smoke and you couldnít even see the sun.
    Monday certainly got worse as the day progressed. We just got a brief rainstorm this morning ... will see what that does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tuesday so far is much better in SLT. Slight orange color, but no smell.

We got a little rain last nite. Not much but it did help

mtbr member
    Just dropping the link for this resource in here:

California Smoke Information

They post an animated gif 24 hour smoke forecast across norcal every day.

mtbr member

Air quality updates

The rain did help clear things up a bit in the AM, but I would say right now its the worst I've seen so far, really bad. Yesterday the air was probably twice as good in the silver lake area

mtbr member
    Woke up to the worst air yet smells like a campfire and canít see hardly anything definitely in the very unhealthy range, time to migrate to the coast for a bit, yuck!!!!

always licking the glass
    Woke up to the worst air yet smells like a campfire and canít see hardly anything definitely in the very unhealthy range, time to migrate to the coast for a bit, yuck!!!!
    Yeah, be careful riding in the smoke. It's a great way to develop asthma

Be safe guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Really bad in SLT today. Strong smell. Time to head down to the delta for some windsurfing

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm at Northstar. So far, the air quality here looks about the same as yesterday morning, perhaps slightly worse. I can see blue sky, so it's still significantly better than Monday afternoon.

mtbr member
    I'm headed to Graeagle on Friday, hopefully the air quality isn't too bad to ride Mills!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Terrible in North Lake this morning. First day this year that I've really felt it - woke up feeling like I smoked a pack of cigarettes last night. Ugh.

fc
    Our bad air is affecting the whole country now.

https://www.airnow.gov/Air quality updates-cur_aqi_usa.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Strange, west shore near TC blue sky, no smell. Gonna go get some in a little bit.

mtbr member
    Sky cleared up significantly as the day went on yesterday, figures today would be clear as a bell as I head to the coast

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Much clearer in SLT today (Thursday).
    Delta breeze cleared the smoke out, but now we have a new fire down by Salmon Falls

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Am hearing that clearer in Downieville today as well

mtbr member

Good air quality at the Mendocino Coast

Sky cleared up significantly as the day went on yesterday, figures today would be clear as a bell as I head to the coast
    Air quality here is great considering what we went through last summer with the Redwood Valley fires. No impact from fires going in the greater Ukiah area. I think that is being referred to as the Mendocino Complex fires. JDSF trails are in good condition for the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That's good to hear. I was thinking of coming up there this weekend to ride the JDSF.

Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Air quality here is great considering what we went through last summer with the Redwood Valley fires. No impact from fires going in the greater Ukiah area. I think that is being referred to as the Mendocino Complex fires. JDSF trails are in good condition for the moment.

mtbr member
    Weather patterns are keeping most of the smoke out of the valley around Chico but it is so heavy in the foothills to the east that twilight was about 30min late this morning! I had to mount the lights for the first time since spring

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sucks in Auburn today. Badly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode in SLT this morning. Crystal clear first thing, but the smoke stated to drift in in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Shuttled Hough last night after work, still smoky up there.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    Shuttled Hough last night after work, still smoky up there.
    Nice and clear in Truckee!

fc
    Heard the smoke is coming to the Bay Area with a South West wind. Give Downieville and Tahoe a break in smoke action hopefully.

My friend in Lakes Basin said it's not bad up there. Clear in the morning and got a little smokey in the afternoon. Noticeable but not too unpleasant, climbing.
    IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member
    Smokes bad today in the east bay. Orange hazy sky and tons of crap in the air...suck

mtbr member
    Morning ride cancelled today. Worst smoke/ash yet.
    Can see it in the air. The vehicles are covered in white ash.

mtbr member
    Down in Reno is much much cleaner than earlier this week. Yesterday was the first time I was able to see the blue sky in about a week. Driving to work I can finally see all of the surrounding mountains. I imagine Tahoe will be in good shape this weekend assuming no major wind shifts.

fc
    Wow, hazardous in a couple spots. Rarely see that.

Loop is here: https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...enter=0&tabs=0Air quality updates-cur_aqi_ca_nv.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Morning ride cancelled today. Worst smoke/ash yet.
    Can see it in the air. The vehicles are covered in white ash.
    similar here in Santa Rosa. a little falling ash and more smoke than the last several days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, hazardous in a couple spots. Rarely see that.

Loop is here: https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...enter=0&tabs=0Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cur_aqi_ca_nv.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	1210792
    Was thinking of going to Mammoth next week. The air quality isn't forecasted to improve much so going to N* instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Down in Reno is much much cleaner than earlier this week. Yesterday was the first time I was able to see the blue sky in about a week. Driving to work I can finally see all of the surrounding mountains. I imagine Tahoe will be in good shape this weekend assuming no major wind shifts.
    I spoke to soon...winds must have shifted and Reno is blanketed again

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    I spoke to soon...winds must have shifted and Reno is blanketed again
    Yesterday was nice & clear in NLT. About 6PM I was driving over Rose and the west shore looked smoky while Incline was clear. This AM wasn't too bad but it's been getting worse as the day goes on and is pretty murky out there right now.

fc
    Lake Tahoe webcams. It only takes a few seconds...

https://tahoetopia.com/webcams
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Air really thick in SLT today. Hoping for a delta breeze to blow it out.
    Beware if youíre thinking of coming up to ride

mtbr member
    Worst smoke of of the year this morning in the El Do Co.

Air really thick in SLT today. Hoping for a delta breeze to blow it out.
    Beware if youíre thinking of coming up to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    Worst smoke of of the year this morning in the El Do Co.
    Yep Cameron Park visibilty of about one mile 😕

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    At the base of n* right now and itís so thick Iím seriously considering bailing. Itís noticable across the skating rink, and I canít even see the mountain. Sub 1k foot visibility.

Edit: left. Started coughing just sitting outside.

Formerly dvo
    Air quality in Downieville isnít too bad if you ignore the ash falling from the sky.

I'm the problem....

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Nice and clear in Truckee!
    I take all of that back - yesterday afternoon and this morning (Saturday) are rough! Must ride though!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    I take all of that back - yesterday afternoon and this morning (Saturday) are rough! Must ride though!
    Hope it gets better in the coming week

fc
    Today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air quality updates-screen-shot-2018-08-05-8.30.27-am.jpg  

Air quality updates-screen-shot-2018-08-05-8.30.58-am.jpg  

IPA will save America

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Air quality Friday at Downieville was moderate, not bad at all. The orange moon on Saturday morning was a harbinger of smoke at the Buttes, and the air started ugly at Sierra City for the Downieville XC race but it didn't seem too bad at ground level and brought only the faintest smell. It did not deter the 1000 or so hardy sorts who joined the XC race. Climbing up to Packer Saddle was no harder than usual (maybe a bit easier because it wasn't too hot), and air seemed to clear and become moderate/reasonably OK after that. The new PCT addition to the XC course is fantastic and makes the overall route a winner -- much longer and more varied than the classic downhill route now that the fire road part of the route is gone.

The race was great fun as usual. But a thick cloud came in late Saturday over the Buttes and turned the sun blood red. It was sickening. This, together with a suspension problem that would have made the downhill race a probable bike-breaker, sent us home last night. On reaching Nevada City we reached clearer air and saw the edge of the horrible dark brown cloud of smoke.

mtbr member
    Went outside this morning and just started coughing, indoor day, if this lasts another day Iím gonna have to head back to the coast

fc
    Went outside this morning and just started coughing, indoor day, if this lasts another day Iím gonna have to head back to the coast

Coast is clear

Heatwave coming inland!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pretty nice in Tahoe City area right now. Go ride yer bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Echo summit area is really smoky. Can smell it here.

Tahoe basin is not as bad. Still hazy, but no smell.

(Iím not sure if the problem is being higher up or more westerly)

fc
    Bad news, good news:

Yosemite is closed and has been closed. Half Dome doesn't look good right now anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air quality updates-ahwahnee2.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I drove to Kyburz on Sunday and was sad to see smoke all the way there from Vacaville. Currently there is fog in SF, bright blue skies in southern Marin and somewhat blue skies in central Marin. If you need to escape the smoke, Marin is the place to go.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Any info on Jenkinson Lake/Sly Park? Thinking of a morning shred Tuesday or Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Air looks decent today in south lake getting ready to ride

Put an app on my phone called air matters, just plug in the city names you want to track then there all at your fingertips

mtbr member
    The air looks much clearer in Chico today and doesn't smell smokey, so by my normal standards I wouldn't think twice and would be out riding today. But now that you guys have me checking air quality reports I'm seeing that the small particulate matter numbers are still really high and firmly in the "unhealthy for everyone" category. Bummer. I'd almost rather still be ignorant of this stuff

mtbr member
    Live sensors watch it change...

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Rode Sly Park this morning. 20 ish miles. Primo. Much better than in Sactown.

mtbr member
    Woke up last night choking. The windows were open (my natural air conditiong).
    The AQI was 270.
    It's now down a bit.
    Air quality updates-f819dd54-516f-45a8-866d-349d15b34533.png

Being up here in the hills seems to catch more of it.

mtbr member
    Tuesday descending Freel TRT Air quality updates-f4dd47f6-7084-481b-b073-9df047d1cc66.jpg pretty horrible

fc
    Not good today in the Bay Area. Saratoga Gap this morning, a reading of around 150 and man, you could smell it. Who dealt it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air quality updates-img_1118.jpg  

Air quality updates-screen-shot-2018-08-08-12.50.13-pm.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Not good today in the Bay Area. Saratoga Gap this morning, a reading of around 150 and man, you could smell it. Who dealt it?
    I could taste the air on this morning's ride (East Bay).

mtbr member
    This does not look good. East Bay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast