Aggressor for a front tire?- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

Aggressor for a front tire?

Any reason "not" to run one up front? FS 140/120 29r for somewhat aggressive NorCal/Tahoe trail riding. Discuss.....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

fc
    head minion Administrator
    No. Nope. There are a dozen other better front tires out there of the same weight/size.
    IPA will save America

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    No. Nope. There are a dozen other better front tires out there of the same weight/size.
    Ugh.....guess I'll leave the DHF on for now. Crazy as I've been able to get by just fine with Nanos and FastTracs 4 evuuuurrrr....

mtbr member

Nope. Not aggressive enough.

Edit: if you want something slightly faster than a dhf, you can go DHR. I know people who swear they are noticeably faster than a dhf. Personally I canít tell.

mtbr member

Moderator Moderator
    The good ole Ardent might be a good choice if you're looking for lighter/faster rolling vs. the DHF? Not quite as grippy, not quite as tough.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The good ole Ardent might be a good choice if you're looking for lighter/faster rolling vs. the DHF? Not quite as grippy, not quite as tough.
    No. Nope. Not an Andent up front fan....
    Yeah bike I just got has DHF/Aggressor setup. Would definitely move a Dhr up front if so equipped. I follow Jeff and the guys @ WorldWideCyclerys guidance. 😎
    Was going to inquire in Tires forum but didnt want to get blasted by @OneSpeed for a double post.....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Thanks?....but I'm trying to lighten things up why would I put a +1100 gram tire on when I have a DHF already? 🙄

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Just that I already have it.

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    No. Nope. Not an Andent up front fan....
    Yeah bike I just got has DHF/Aggressor setup. Would definitely move a Dhr up front if so equipped. I follow Jeff and the guys @ WorldWideCyclerys guidance.
    Was going to inquire in Tires forum but didnt want to get blasted by @OneSpeed for a double post.....
    The DHF/Aggressor is my favorite aggressive set up for NorCal/Tahoe. Iíve been tinkering with different MidPen tires the past year, places like Skeggs, Montebello where you donít need such a burly tire and fast rolling is rewarded. The tires I really like at the moment are the new Continental Cross Kings in the Black Chili compound. They are stiff and unforgiving, but roll very, very fast with decent grip. Very light as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah, Ardent is a terrifying front tire... Way too drifty. Maybe for smooth XC with no dust, but at that point you have so many better choices.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Yeah, Ardent is a terrifying front tire... Way too drifty. Maybe for smooth XC with no dust, but at that point you have so many better choices.
    I ran one on front last year for about 3 months or so. I like that drifty hookup feeling, but on hard dusty stuff maybe not the best. I believe I ran that tire at Demo last summer and liked it, but I can't recall exactly. The tire I liked at Demo on the Flow trail was the Vittoria Mezcal front and rear, surprised me a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Personally I donít think anything less than a DHR2 belongs up front on a 140mm front bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Thanks?....but I'm trying to lighten things up why would I put a +1100 gram tire on when I have a DHF already? 🙄
    3C EXO MAXXTERRA 861g

Looks kind of like an improved HRII

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I honestly think the aggressor 2.5 works good up front on dry hard trails like I have around Auburn/Folsom/edh area. Ran one front and rear for a good while. Not great in mud or deep wet loam though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    assegai/aggressor has been a dialed pair. Except when you need to brake on steep stuff - planning to try the dissector rear for that...was using a butcher in back, as it rolls faster than dhf.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    I honestly think the aggressor 2.5 works good up front on dry hard trails like I have around Auburn/Folsom/edh area. Ran one front and rear for a good while. Not great in mud or deep wet loam though.
    I always thought a tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor would be a good bike park, pump track, flow trail front tire. A bit unorthodox, I know. But, fast rolling, with side knobs when you get out of line, in places where you don't need breaking performance so much as rolling speed and a little side knob insurance. I don't know how the linear stability on the front at high speed would be. I have yet to try this, however.

jrm
    mtbr member
    ok..ok whud ya get....spit it out...i like the 2.5 DHF/2.3 aggressor combo. Maybe a 2.5 MM....

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    assegai/aggressor has been a dialed pair. Except when you need to brake on steep stuff - planning to try the dissector rear for that...was using a butcher in back, as it rolls faster than dhf.
    Am getting ready to install the Assegai / Dissector combo on my bike soon-ish. Currently have the Minion DHF / DHR2 combo. Love the DHR2 for the super steep when it gets a bit wet. The Minion just does not do anything for me in the steeps. DHR2 seems a little overkill during the summer though so going to give the Dissector a shot out back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I always thought a tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor would be a good bike park, pump track, flow trail front tire. A bit unorthodox, I know. But, fast rolling, with side knobs when you get out of line, in places where you don't need breaking performance so much as rolling speed and a little side knob insurance. I don't know how the linear stability on the front at high speed would be. I have yet to try this, however.
    ...for solo riding clear trails, a SS in the rear is pretty dialed. I stopped running them due to hikers and stupid riders stopped in the center of the trail - you just cannot slow down for the unexpected stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Am getting ready to install the Assegai / Dissector combo on my bike soon-ish. Currently have the Minion DHF / DHR2 combo. Love the DHR2 for the super steep when it gets a bit wet. The Minion just does not do anything for me in the steeps. DHR2 seems a little overkill during the summer though so going to give the Dissector a shot out back.
    I expect you'll love the assegai up front. It's glued - so you can slide the rear and still hold your line. The DHR2 in back is pretty dialed for slowing down, just found it didn't clear mud very well, so went to the DHF or Butcher in back. Please post up after you try the new combo!

PS --> Where did you find a dissector? I'm having no luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

mtbr member
    For a fellow XC tire person - I think the Rekon 2.4 is a really good answer here. It is both faster and hooks up better than the Ardent. I ran one up front at Downieville XC and thought it was perfect.

Wish I had run one in the rear too.

I just got back from a week in Tahoe on a DHF/Aggressor combo. Hooks up great but man, that is some heavy shit for big climby rides. It also feels like overkill to me for most places.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I ran a 2.5 aggressor on the front of my tallboy for a month or so. I would categorize it as an aggressive xc front tire. Of course the grip isn't on par with a dhf, but it's close to a nobby nic.
    Do it and ride within its limits.

In another life I used to rail DH trails on XC tires on an XC bike. Amazingly, I'm still alive .
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    For a fellow XC tire person - I think the Rekon 2.4 is a really good answer here. It is both faster and hooks up better than the Ardent. I ran one up front at Downieville XC and thought it was perfect.

Wish I had run one in the rear too.

I just got back from a week in Tahoe on a DHF/Aggressor combo. Hooks up great but man, that is some heavy shit for big climby rides. It also feels like overkill to me for most places.
    Coincidentally I was up there to. Exact combo. And on a 29r with a 34t front ring! Exact feelings thus the thinking I'd like to switch up the tires, and maybe a 32t ring too! 🙄😎

mtbr member
    These tire threads always remind me of the Smoke/Dart revolution, Farmer John/Farmer John Cousin rivalry, and the blasphemy of ever running a porcupine in the rear. ever. OP, Maxxis Aggressor can be an any tire you want.. We all lived through the Weirwolf, the battle of the VelociRaptor identity crisis (which one was the rightful heir?), the Nevegal and the Ground Control...? This judgement shall pass... the days of the DHF being the best steer tire the world has ever known.. What's next? What a time to be alive!! Minions!!!

mtbr member
    Ha on the 34! I put a 30t on the trail bike cause and I've loved it. I'm not going anywhere too quickly on that bike anyways.

Try the Rekon 2.4 if you can get your hands on one. I think its a really good answer. Also the Aggressors wear really poorly IMO.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    +1 on the rekon 2.4. That tire checks all the boxes. Loving it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Would love to hear how this goes. I canít find a dissector in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '18 Ibis Ripmo Xo1/XX1 DT - Vesper/s35 - 4P XT Brakes

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)