Not helpful.

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)

So, buddy Jim and I had a little bit of excitement yesterday. We had made plans to meet at Waterman Brewing Company in Elk Grove for lunch and a couple of beers. I wanted to take the dog, Endo, as she needed to get out, so I was wondering to myself if I should take my cruiser, just to putt-putt around the area in-between beers so we wouldn't get too bored (or drunk). WBC is located in an industrial park, as a lot of the new breweries are wont to be, so on the weekends, there isn't much traffic, except for the patrons of the brewery. So, no need to worry about either of us getting hit by traffic, hopefully. I waffled on taking the bike up until the time I left the house, and then just decided to take the skateboard, to make things easier.

On the way up to Elk Grove, I stopped at the Raley's in Galt to get us a couple of sandwiches, and then drove the last few miles to Elk Grove. Headed east into the country behind Elk Grove, got on Waterman Road, then turned towards Waterman Brewing Co. The road WBC is on parallels the main road, although it's set way back, and a lot of buildings obstruct your view of the road, so when I turned in, I was surprised to see both sides of the road outside the brewery almost completely full of parked cars. My first thought was, "well, I'm glad I didn't bring the bike, it's too congested to ride." The second thought was "what the hell is going on? This place is usually deserted!" My third thought was "how long is it going to take to get a beer with all these people here?" As I got closer, I saw lots of cars parked tucked back in the alleys- and they were almost all shiny muscle cars. There were a few lowriders and classic cars sprinkled into the mix, but most of the cars were Mustangs and Camaros and Challengers, some bristling with fat tires and hood scoops. Seemed like hundreds of cars were there. It was a car show! A kind of impromptu, unofficial car show- no booths, just people and families out walking around, admiring cars and talking- having a good ol' time. They weren't there for the brewery, it just happened that they chose the spot for its out-of-prying-eyes location.

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-parking-lot-1.jpg

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-2.jpg

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-3.jpg

Jim showed up a few minutes later, found a spot to park without too much trouble, and we hied inside the brewery and got a couple of tasty beers and ate our lunch. People came in & out, and it was the regulation brewery experience, aside from the people milling around outside and the occasional car revving its motor.

We finished our lunch, and ordered another round, when it got a little noisier outside. People were starting to take their cars out into the street, some taking off down the street as noisily and fast as they could, showing off. Others would sit in their cars and punch it, leaving two thick strips of rubber on the tarmac, as the back wheels spun and smoke arose around the wheel wells. Spectators ran out into the street with phones held aloft, getting crazy close to the cars and egging the participants on.

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-4.jpg

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-5.jpg

It was a freakin' side show! And we happened to be right in the thick of it! As we watched from outside the brewery, Endo was loving it- the noise, the crowd, she was into it! I was, too, with a side of concern, thinking about my car- one of these guys could lose a little control and plow right into it. So I decided to move it to a spot further down the street into a parking lot where nothing could happen to it. I parked and got out of the car, looked down the street, and now people were doing donuts in the middle of the street! Huge clouds of smoke arose, and they only had the width of the street to stay in control, otherwise they'd plow into the spectator cars/motorcycles. I took some pictures from a distance, then walked back to where Jim was. We watched for a few minutes, and it got crazier and crazier.

An afternoon at Waterman Brewing turns exhilarating (long)-6.jpg

We looked at each other, shook our heads and decided to head to his house before things got out of control and the cops showed up. We made it to his house, unscathed, and chatted a bit more before I headed back home.

My first (and last, I hope) sideshow! An ordinary day at the brewery turned into a real day to remember. Wow! Exhilarating, dangerous, crazy, and expensive, I'm sure. Too bad Les Schwab wasn't there handing out business cards- he would have made a mint Monday off all the guys needing new tires...

The end
    What's wrong with him??

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I can't say that my younger self wasn't involved in those kinds of shenanigans. My older self, notsomuch... I do love essence of Goodyear, though.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have trouble understanding the public nature of this stuff. you know what they say, different strokes for different folks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Haha, great story FP. There are often tuners in those industrial parks, companies that fit superchargers, or work on certain brands of cars, etc., so it kind of makes sense to me. Being there on a skateboard would be just about perfect I'd think. I'd probably hang around just to watch the world burn

It's funny when people ask me how I can drive a fast car without getting tickets or that they'd "get all sorts of tickets" if they had a fast car. I just don't get it, you have to physically push the pedal to make it go fast, it doesn't do it on it's own. The (lack) of self control is sometimes startling. People do exactly the **** that police look for, like 20 over in cities, running reds, speeding through neighborhoods, reckless in high density areas, etc. They do a race/event up here where people gather at an abandoned airport way way far away from anything else, which is exactly how you do it or when you "go fast". It's not that you never go fast, but there's a time and place for everything, in the city is generally not the place.

I'd appreciate a good car show, but a good auto-X even more. When people start doing stupid stuff though, well that just gets ridiculous.

We had a similar event dip-net fishing this year, it was bad for most people, but we hit "the day" to be out on the water and we netted 90-something salmon. The action was just getting absolutely crazy, if you had a net in the water, there was a fish in it. Kids were driving boats. Boats were running into boast. Big commercial fishing boats (that were prohibited from fishing nets that day) were drifting and their crews were fishing for themselves with everyone else. IT was getting to be pandenomium with hundreds and hundreds of boats in one spot all fighting for pole position. We got the hell out of there, even though we could have probably easily broken into the 100+ fish level, but it was getting so dangerous any sane person would get the hell out of there, so we did, unlike the hundreds that were still there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Kustom Kings is right there. It's not even really in public back there - let kids be kids, or adults be kids.

Hot burning tire rubber is a smell that never gets old.

The more important observation you would have made is the quality of the beer at this new place. Sooo, let us have it.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Kustom Kings is right there. It's not even really in public back there - let kids be kids, or adults be kids.

Hot burning tire rubber is a smell that never gets old.

The more important observation you would have made is the quality of the beer at this new place. Sooo, let us have it.
    Good tip on the Kustom Kings.

As far as the beer goes, we only had one flavor and I can't remember what it was! (Edit: Georgiana Fog IPA) It was good enough we both reordered it. D'oh. I don't see it on their web site. I wanted the juicy, but they were out.

Sorry, I'm a horrible beer reviewer. But we've been there before and haven't been disappointed yet.

Oh, and the bartender was super cute! I could provide a review of her, if you like
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 12:27 PM.
    What's wrong with him??

Hella Olde
    Smoke 'em til the wheels fall off!!!

caw