Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    86

    Advice on E Sierra Bike n Fish

    Hi All-

    i just got a weekend pass and am interested in riding in the eastern Sierra Sat and Sun. I have a tiny trailer to camp in.

    Id love to find a 20 mile +\- ride (Im not afraid of uphill) and ideally there would be a small alpine lake to fish on the route.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,466
    The Eastern Sierra is a big place....can you narrow it down? Will you be based on the Eastside (highway 395 corridor)? Bring a warm sleeping bag!

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Hi All-

    i just got a weekend pass and am interested in riding in the eastern Sierra Sat and Sun. I have a tiny trailer to camp in.

    Id love to find a 20 mile +\- ride (Im not afraid of uphill) and ideally there would be a small alpine lake to fish on the route.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    I'd be interested to see your on bike fishing rig. What/how do you carry it?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelmotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    967
    Definitely curious to see where you end up going OP

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,132
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'd be interested to see your on bike fishing rig. What/how do you carry it?
    How we do it in Idaho... Well, actually, I also do this in Georgia.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_1I4vmS0c

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    The Eastern Sierra is a big place....can you narrow it down? Will you be based on the Eastside (highway 395 corridor)? Bring a warm sleeping bag!
    Yes, 395 N of Bridgeport is what I had in mind. Unfortunately I called a FS ranger in Bridgeport and all the campgrounds there are closed, trees have dropped their leaves... Its later in the season over there than I had hoped. I probably still would have gone and just camped off a FS road BUT a work obligation inserted itself into my plan and blew it. However Id still be game for a different time if anyone has any suggestions.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'd be interested to see your on bike fishing rig. What/how do you carry it?
    I was just going to put my fly rod, flies, net..in and on my Camelback. Obviously I wouldnt be packing waders and boots.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    How we do it in Idaho... Well, actually, I also do this in Georgia.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_1I4vmS0c
    Wow! You just ride by a stream, shoot a fly, and a big ass rainbow is on the hook! I gotta try that! LOL! Yvon would be proud!

    I went to grad school in Atlanta and rode, hunted, fished quite a bit in GA. Little warm in the summer there, huh?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RoscoP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Wow! You just ride by a stream, shoot a fly, and a big ass rainbow is on the hook! I gotta try that! LOL! Yvon would be proud!

    I went to grad school in Atlanta and rode, hunted, fished quite a bit in GA. Little warm in the summer there, huh?
    I assume you've seen

    I've had some good luck bike fishing in Bend with the kiddo

    Advice on E Sierra Bike n Fish-tf.jpg

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoP View Post
    I assume you've seen

    I've had some good luck bike fishing in Bend with the kiddo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	1223495
    I hadn't seen that, incredible video thanks for sharing. Kids fishing = rock solid parenting.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,195
    How about Lower Rock Creek trail (near Tom's Place)? The trail is pretty fun, though it's generally done with a shuttle, you can climb the road back.

    Friends would catch a lot of trout in upper Rock Creek, up near the lodge/trailhead area. We'd drop singletrack from there, with some pavement thrown in, and as we got towards Tom's Place would drop Lower Rock Creek trail.

    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/lower-rock-creek/

    https://www.monocounty.org/listing/l...ction-3)/1413/
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM
  2. One fish or two fish
    By azimiut in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM
  3. Fish fish fish!!!!
    By ironmike79 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 08:41 AM
  4. 88 Schwinn High Sierra or 90 Schwinn MOS Sierra, which to keep?
    By istomtom in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 11:02 PM
  5. Bent Fish to new Fish
    By paintballeerXC in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 85

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.