Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option

My wife said we should get one as our kids leave for school and she wants to roam without airplanes.

What are the options, trade-offs, costs, etc, etc.

Who's got one? What have you learned?

Where to buy one or look. I understand the demand is starting to skyrocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-106271977_10108803358171483_2611920687359289110_n.jpg  

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-nissan-nv-3500-4x4-overland-van.jpg  

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-106258597_10158239016808213_347090226845123640_o.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Check out this site, lots of good info here: https://faroutride.com/

Duck Fonald
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Check out this site, lots of good info here: https://faroutride.com/
    Love it. You getting one btw.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    before Covid, i was eating breakfast with a bunch of retired ex-coworkers. i mentioned me being jealous of their retirement and stated i wanted to buy a Sprinter to explore. two of the guys instantly groaned. they both had one and both had huge problems. they didnt go into details, but they said owning one was so cost prohibitive, since everything is so expensive to fix. on a fixed income. they both dumped them in quick sales.

i'd love to get a 2006 diesel truck and a Airstream when i retire. i changed my tune
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You should either give all that money to poor people or light it on fire and then buy yourself a nice backpack and hiking boots with what remains.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Sprinters... We have 6 of them in our small fleet, so not adventure equipped by any means. Four of them have been trouble free, two of them have been a pain in the ass. YMMV.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Sprinters... We have 6 of them in our small fleet, so not adventure equipped by any means. Four of them have been trouble free, two of them have been a pain in the ass. YMMV.
    i think a lot of the problems were the interior equipment related as well.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator
    Promaster.

Cheaper, it has a minivan motor so easy to find someone to work on it, they are wider so easier to sleep sideways, lower floor, slightly more square so easier to build out and front wheel drive. The only con is that you can't get it in 4wd, or convert it.

jrm
    mtbr member
    web site: expeditionportal.com some of the vehicles these folks adventure in are something else..like lifted chevy astro vans...

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive always liked the idea of buying a ol' van conversion and just driving.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Love it. You getting one btw.
    Not for awhile. For now, I'm going to keep renting as needed, easier than maintaining something I only use 2-3 weeks per year.

mtbr member
    My daughter wants a vintage VW van once she starts driving. Talking with my Dad on how to fabricate one so that it is safe, fuel efficient, and can cruise at highway speed. Maybe I will just buy her a Subaru!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-2fee8c81c72a203675db63b1318eb23d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Ive always liked the idea of buying a ol' van conversion and just driving.....
    One of my heroes. Google and read about Gunter, incredible life.

mtbr member
    If you can rent before deciding, then you should (like demoing a bike before purchasing).

We rented an RV a couple of weeks back (32 footer, E450 undercarriage, 2014 model with 30k miles). I "thought" it was going to be a great experience... it wasn't. I wasn't necessarily intimidated by the size, although it isn't the most practical thing to drive. But driving the thing on the freeway and passing/being overtaken by big rigs could be sketchy sometimes. And boy did everything rattle! I could not even have a decent conversation inside without needing to raise my voice. It really could just be the build, so rent other RVs/camper vans before deciding. I'm probably going to try a diesel pusher next time (rear-mounted engine).

mtbr member
    And since we're kinda talking about vans, I just got this as a gift from my cousin. First thing I did was install a hitch (priorities). LOL!Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-honda-hitch.jpgAdventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-honda.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The is/was a tread here somewhere around 6 months ago. Also check out adventurevanexpo.com.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd go SportsMobile if anything. They've been proven to work great and they build them on a variety of platforms. The Sprinters can be a pain to fix as well. Another option you could look into is a 4wheel camper as well.

Just depends on budget to be honest. Just like all things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-bf9ef11d-243e-4dd9-ab64-204ff7abe2e2.jpegThis (slightly lifted) towing a bass boat would solve a lot of issues. Way cheaper than a Sprinter.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF9EF11D-243E-4DD9-AB64-204FF7ABE2E2.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	1344585This (slightly lifted) towing a bass boat would solve a lot of issues. Way cheaper than a Sprinter.
    My pops has a similar setup. Silverado with a camper and can tow a boat or his Samurai behind it. For two people for a week at a time itís great. Park the truck and set camp, then drive the Samurai around.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option

My daughter wants a vintage VW van once she starts driving. Talking with my Dad on how to fabricate one so that it is safe, fuel efficient, and can cruise at highway speed. Maybe I will just buy her a Subaru!

Ummm. Dangerous, slow. These were economy vehicles back in the day and the American vans are superior which tells you how bad they are. The only people that own them have not automobile knowledge. Every once in in a while Iíll see a hippie traveling trying to make it work as a only vehicle. A used Caravan is far better. I have a daughter. Good luck changing her mind

If youíre constantly on the move - van

If youíre going to park for a few days and boondock away from it all - Tacoma or Ranger and 16-18ft trailer.

The above but you have a significant other and want more room - 1/2 ton truck and 20-24ft trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Some say that a Volkswagen Squareback can accommodate. One just needs to retroactively adjust their needs by 47 years and all is golden.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Ummm. Dangerous, slow. These were economy vehicles back in the day and the American vans are superior which tells you how bad they are. The only people that own them have not automobile knowledge. Every once in in a while Iíll see a hippie traveling trying to make it work as a only vehicle. A used Caravan is far better. I have a daughter. Good luck changing her mind
    Oh they are deathtraps over 30mph. If we decide to do it, when my Dad is done with it about the only VW thing left will be the body, and even that will be chopped and channeled. He's a street rod and motorcycle fabricator. When I was a kid he was into racing, so I worked around his garage helping out (or getting in the way) on street rods, drag cars and dirt track outlaws. Good times.

I'll only do it if she could drive it a few years until she goes to college and I can sell and get my money back out of it. Because I can get it done in the family, I'd probably be into it about $30k to $40k...... I'll probably just buy her a Subaru.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We have a pretty basic sprinter. I didn't want an RV. Also didn't want a tent anymore.

Real bed. Secure bike storage. Ample room for camping crap.

Long and short of it we love it. So fun for road tripping.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    All the tall vans require some revision of your driving expectations. Meaning they are tippy and weird and not much fun to drive around corners. But, you can stand up in them which is a huge plus.

I bought a new Sprinter in 2013, and proceeded to experience reliability so bad, almost all of it related to the diesel injectors, common rail, fuel pump and particulate filter. After 68k miles and three warranty covered repairs that would have each run in the $3-5k range if I had to pay for them, each time taking the van down for a couple weeks, the last time with me limping home from Baja, I picked the van up from the final repair, and drove from one ford dealer to the next on my way home until I found a low roof ecoboost Transit. Traded it in without even a second thought.

I took a beating on that transaction, but 110k trouble-free miles later, I grin every time the traction control lights start blinking...
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have a look at www.ruhneracing.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I retired in 2015, and had been shopping for Sprinters for a few years before that. I test drove at least three of them, and got to the point of preparing an order. However, I just could not get past the Mercedes tax (~$60K for a nicely optioned one...) Also, there were too many stories of (engine/emission system?) problems on the sprinter forum. And the driving experience was a bit meh.

I drove a bunch of Transits. The 3.7 liter base motors were all pretty slow. However, the first time I drove an Eco Boost 3.5 turbo my jaw dropped! It is very responsive and will put you back in the seat. A couple of times I have vigorously merged onto the freeway, and looked down in shock to find I was over 100. If I keep the speed down to a steady 55-65 mph, I have seen a bit over 20mpg. It cruises nice on the freeway at 85.

I live way up in the bay area hills, and it handles well on the twisty roads. It also does fine in cross winds on the freeway, I believe due to the active crosswind stabilization. It pulls a 5000 lb trailer without any strain or drama.

I went with the short wheelbase 150 "wagon", as I wanted the AC and upholstery in back. I drove a couple of the longer 250's, but they had rough suspension. With the short wheelbase it will flip a U-turn in very little space, and it's easy to park.

I bought this Transit new in 2017. It's pretty much loaded, and I got it for $40K. Similar options as the $60K Sprinter, but a lot more fun to drive.

Since I retired, I spend winters in Arizona (dry trails!), and the Transit is my daily driver down there. It is comfortable and easy to drive around town. I just need to remember the tall roof (NO drive thru's or parking garages!)

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-2.jpg

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FZBob View Post
    I retired in 2015, and had been shopping for Sprinters for a few years before that. I test drove at least three of them, and got to the point of preparing an order. However, I just could not get past the Mercedes tax (~$60K for a nicely optioned one...) Also, there were too many stories of (engine/emission system?) problems on the sprinter forum. And the driving experience was a bit meh.

I drove a bunch of Transits. The 3.7 liter base motors were all pretty slow. However, the first time I drove an Eco Boost 3.5 turbo my jaw dropped! It is very responsive and will put you back in the seat. A couple of times I have vigorously merged onto the freeway, and looked down in shock to find I was over 100. If I keep the speed down to a steady 55-65 mph, I have seen a bit over 20mpg. It cruises nice on the freeway at 85.

I live way up in the bay area hills, and it handles well on the twisty roads. It also does fine in cross winds on the freeway, I believe due to the active crosswind stabilization. It pulls a 5000 lb trailer without any strain or drama.

I went with the short wheelbase 150 "wagon", as I wanted the AC and upholstery in back. I drove a couple of the longer 250's, but they had rough suspension. With the short wheelbase it will flip a U-turn in very little space, and it's easy to park.

I bought this Transit new in 2017. It's pretty much loaded, and I got it for $40K. Similar options as the $60K Sprinter, but a lot more fun to drive.

Since I retired, I spend winters in Arizona (dry trails!), and the Transit is my daily driver down there. It is comfortable and easy to drive around town. I just need to remember the tall roof (NO drive thru's or parking garages!)

Name:	Transit 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	1344661

Name:	Transit 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	1344663
    Nice 914. Love them with flares.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You canít deny those revel 4x4 Sprinters look Endurbro sexy as hell, but I think a regular class b or b+ makes a better RV and cheaper

May contain nuts

Name:	Transit 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	1344661

Name:	Transit 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	1344663
    Nice CBX! I had a glam CBX poster as a teenager and the female model was a little chunkier than necessary so I did some Sharpie surgery to improve the situation.
    On reflection her extra girth matched the CBX perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Nice 914. Love them with flares.
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-porsche-blue-1s.jpg
    The Porsche unexpectedly turned blue in January. 383 Chevy, Holley EFI, ALL the suspension. ~500 HP & 2500 lb. Not the stock transaxle!

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-cbx-1s.jpg
    1150 kit, ported. 1100F suspension & wheels. The way Honda should have built them.

Please excuse the thread hijack, couldn't resist...

May contain nuts

Name:	Porsche Blue 1s.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	1344761
    The Porsche unexpectedly turned blue in January. 383 Chevy, Holley EFI, ALL the suspension. ~500 HP & 2500 lb. Not the stock transaxle!

Name:	CBX 1s.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	1344763
    1150 kit, ported. 1100F suspension & wheels. The way Honda should have built them.

That 6:1 header is a work of art. Love the engine detailing too. Bet it rides nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A pre made RV makes more sense unless you just want to customize a van either way your stuck where you park unless you tow a run about car.
    A small camper towed behind a truck makes sense for greater mobility.

mtbr member
    SWEET 914! I enjoyed 10 years with one as my only car, second, or third car. Ax racing was addicting!

I've done a bunch of reading on #vanlife too and would go Ford. Parts are easy to find. Folks can fix em, everywhere. Not as sexy as the MB/Dodge Sprinter, but less $$ to own and maintain. I'm way overdue for a Baja trip, so that is part of the equation.

My style is more the drive, park, explore vs. explore drive drive, so the trailer or cab-over options are perhaps the most practical and affordable. They also allow the option of a very capable 4x4 truck as the main vehicle!

If you have the $$, the Sprinter options are super sexy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Name:	Porsche Blue 1s.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	1344761

Name:	CBX 1s.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	1344763

I used to have a Fiat x19 with a Crysler 2.4 turbo motor and transaxle. A guy I raced with had a 914 with an Lt 350 and 993 transaxle. We laughed that we both were riding "shit exotics" when everyone else was in expensive F and P cars.

mtbr member
    I like my 4 wheel poptop - I've had it for 27 years and two trucks. It is currently on a 2007 Duramax 2500 HD 4x4 and gets good mileage and has the power of a locomotive. The camper is small, as is any pickup camper, but the rig goes lots of places where even a 4wd sprinter is not going to return unscathed. However, any pickup camper is much too small for more than two people and then only if they are good friends.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Keep on Rockin...
    before Covid, i was eating breakfast with a bunch of retired ex-coworkers. i mentioned me being jealous of their retirement and stated i wanted to buy a Sprinter to explore. two of the guys instantly groaned. they both had one and both had huge problems. they didnt go into details, but they said owning one was so cost prohibitive, since everything is so expensive to fix. on a fixed income. they both dumped them in quick sales.

i'd love to get a 2006 diesel truck and a Airstream when i retire. i changed my tune
    Ha.

Yeah, after many years of analyzing this whole thing pretty sure I'm looking at a durable truck and a camper, albeit small one.

Any advice on a no-frills durable, simple pickup? I've always had small pickups but might want something just a bit burlier. I'd be looking at something with back seats (for the first time) so the passenger could catch a few winks while the other drives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Ha.

Yeah, after many years of analyzing this whole thing pretty sure I'm looking at a durable truck and a camper, albeit small one.

Any advice on a no-frills durable, simple pickup? I've always had small pickups but might want something just a bit burlier. I'd be looking at something with back seats (for the first time) so the passenger could catch a few winks while the other drives.
    A used Toyota Tundra is one of the best bang for the buck. Im about to buy one myself.

loopy counter
    I bought a super basic 15 foot travel trailer for $5000 in 2009. After the financial crisis, the RV industry tanked and I got it for less than dealer cost. Took a 6 week trip to Canada but since it has mostly set in my driveway.
    But now I'm thinking about hitting the road again.

Anyone know about towing with a CVT transmission? (Subaru Forester XT). Or do I need to acquire a tow vehicle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Who's got one? What have you learned?
    Just in case anyone was wondering what's behind the face of a Transit, or if a receiver hitch can be mounted on the front. Pretty much everything you see other than the radiator is plastic. Normally I'm not a fan of plastic, but this is very well designed plastic. The retaining clips are the size of 70's belt buckles (remember those?), which is the proper way to design with plastic.
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-face-1.jpg

The whole face comes off in one piece with four big clips and a few bolts. It was interesting re-installing the face. Line up 4 tabs, give it a big shove, there's a big "click", and it's on! I've had a bunch of the interior out, and it also clips together nicely. It looks like the transit was designed to be inexpensive to build, but not "cheap".
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-face-2.jpg

That front bumper & sub bumper are thin sheet metal! A good MMA fighter could easily kick it in to the radiator. Not what I would call crash protection...
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-face-3.jpg

Universal hitch installed. There is not a lot of beefy structure up front, but it's strong enough to shuffle an unloaded trailer around confined spaces. If I needed more capacity, I would extend the hitch structure back a couple of feet.
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-face-5.jpg

I would not hang 4 chubby E-bikes off the front. I would probably do 2 E-bikes or 3 regular bikes on smooth roads. YMMV...
    Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-transit-face-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I used to have a Fiat x19 with a Crysler 2.4 turbo motor and transaxle. A guy I raced with had a 914 with an Lt 350 and 993 transaxle. We laughed that we both were riding "shit exotics" when everyone else was in expensive F and P cars.
    I used to love the looks of those X1/9's.

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-fiat-1.jpeg

Adventure Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline option-fiat-2.jpeg

Italian cars really had soul, as long as you didn't actually need to arrive at your destination. I had a Fiat 128 4 door that revved out and sounded like a Ferrari. At 1100cc, I used to pretend I was in an F1 race, while barely beating traffic. I think the X1/9 may have had the same motor.

Paper or plastic?
    Not for awhile. For now, I'm going to keep renting as needed, easier than maintaining something I only use 2-3 weeks per year.
    Kind of the problem right there. Financially, easier to spend a few $K a year renting one than spending $100K to sit on the driveway.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Kind of the problem right there. Financially, easier to spend a few $K a year renting one than spending $100K to sit on the driveway.
    Need an adventure van timeshare
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Check out OUTDOORSY.Com Like an AirBNB for TrailerStuffs. Also rvshare.com. I have also looked into those goofy looking Juicy Van rentals. Can get a pretty good deal on them.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    We have a pretty basic sprinter. I didn't want an RV. Also didn't want a tent anymore.

Real bed. Secure bike storage. Ample room for camping crap.

Long and short of it we love it. So fun for road tripping.
    Same for me. My promaster is essentiall a big rolling metal tent. Insulated, upholstered, minimal wiring, adjustable height bed. Everything comes out or goes in in under ten minutes leaving me an empty box to haul stuff in when I need an empty box. It's my daily driver replacing my pickup, at which it does everything better. As many have noted, I couldn't rationalize having an rv sitting around 95% of the time. I love it.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    Check out OUTDOORSY.Com Like an AirBNB for TrailerStuffs. Also rvshare.com. I have also looked into those goofy looking Juicy Van rentals. Can get a pretty good deal on them.
    Found one locally. Not cheap: $275 per day, plus mileage at $0.59 per mile over 100 miles, plus cleaning fees, etc. Probably looking at $3-4K a week all in for a big trip.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Same for me. My promaster is essentiall a big rolling metal tent. Insulated, upholstered, minimal wiring, adjustable height bed. Everything comes out or goes in in under ten minutes leaving me an empty box to haul stuff in when I need an empty box. It's my daily driver replacing my pickup, at which it does everything better. As many have noted, I couldn't rationalize having an rv sitting around 95% of the time. I love it.
    This is me, except with a 2011 Ford.
    Plus I can and do work/fix on just about anything on it and parts are CHEAP.

I want to buy newer soon. From my research Promaster seems to be the most reliable, well that and the Nissan's. Promasters I have to scootch down to see out the front window...what the hell is with that? You've got this full size van and a tiny cockpit, I don't get it.

Transits are great and I like everything about them... until I read about them on the internet. Just about every review on Edmunds and others seems they're problematic. Specifically the driveline bearing which looks involved and expensive to replace. Haven't really looked into them enough to determine if the kinks have been worked out or not. For now my 2011 is dead reliable and gets the job done.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    This. For us it's the sweet spot

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Hertz is going out of business and selling a ton of cars. Can you buy one of their big vans?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've had a Winnebago Revel for a few years. Loved it and the places we've gone. It's expensive for sure, but we where doing >80/nights a year camping. Then a few months back my kid started getting really car sick as soon as we got in the car. Never threw up in the car yet, but we've had to stop and feed the wildlife on the side of the road a few times.

So... now my van is for sale, if anyone is looking for one of those big fancy rigs contact me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oteich View Post
    I've had a Winnebago Revel for a few years. Loved it and the places we've gone. It's expensive for sure, but we where doing >80/nights a year camping. Then a few months back my kid started getting really car sick as soon as we got in the car. Never threw up in the car yet, but we've had to stop and feed the wildlife on the side of the road a few times.

So... now my van is for sale, if anyone is looking for one of those big fancy rigs contact me.
    nooo! i'd stick an ear-patch on the kid

where are you located? just curious.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    nooo! i'd stick an ear-patch on the kid

where are you located? just curious.
    We've tried the patch, the wrist band, pills. No luck so far.

Located in Santa Rosa, CA

mtbr member
    Doesn't sound like typical motion sickness. Any ear aches or anything?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hertz....
    I tried. It was an absolute sh*t show nightmare experience. Be forewarned. If its to good to be true....
    They are mislabeled, wrong descriptions, wrong length/roof height than what was listed. Not at the location they told me to go to..... In the end, it was average price for what was put in front of me. Big waste of time.
    It would be easier to deal with the flakes on Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoP View Post
    He's 9 - I think at least 50% of it is mental that he just decided he's the type of kid who gets carsick, it's all he thinks about it now, so of course, he makes himself carsick...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    We've tried the patch, the wrist band, pills. No luck so far.

Located in Santa Rosa, CA
    weird. me too! poor kid.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We have Nissan HD2500 that was converted by Roadtrek, seats 6 , sleeps 4, sink, hot and cold water, microwave, fridge ,etc has everything but a legit bathroom, works great for my family of four plus two dogs. If it was just me and the wife I would get a Recon Camper, smaller and high end builds. https://www.reconcampers.com

fc

Oh man, sounds so intriguing.

I can't go high end though. My wife and I have time (working from home) and kids leaving. Unfortunately, they are leaving for college. hahahaha
    IPA will save America

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoP View Post
    Or Meniere's? I hope not, but extremely informative message boards here: https://menieres.org/forums/
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecRider96 View Post
    We have Nissan HD2500 that was converted by Roadtrek, seats 6 , sleeps 4, sink, hot and cold water, microwave, fridge ,etc has everything but a legit bathroom, works great for my family of four plus two dogs. If it was just me and the wife I would get a Recon Camper, smaller and high end builds. https://www.reconcampers.com
    Intriguing, I didn't realize any builders used the smaller platforms. I wonder if they could do the Mercedes? A lifted AWD Sienna would be the shit.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

stop...safety first

yes, think about the type of trips you like

Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

If youíre constantly on the move - van

If youíre going to park for a few days and boondock away from it all - Tacoma or Ranger and 16-18ft trailer.

The above but you have a significant other and want more room - 1/2 ton truck and 20-24ft trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I just spent a month in colorado using my small trailer as a base camp, boon-docked for free in the national forest. New trails each day. Since I towed it with the truck I already own, we did some 4X4 crazy stuff too. And at the end of the day I knew for certain where home was.
    So if you want to move and explore distant places, moving your site from day to day....a van is the thing.
    But if you want to explore one area DEEPLY... a small trailer allows for local adventuring in your personal vehicle. A trailer definitely limits your choice of roads, until you you unhitch the trailer...
    and the cost is 1/10 that of a van (that you can count on).