Access/Advocacy: This Area and Forum Need More CowBells!- Mtbr.com
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Access/Advocacy: This Area and Forum Need More CowBells!

OK, I've been shopping this idea around enough to try it out on this group of riders. I already have some seed $ and a grant towards a match to that. What I need to see is if the idea will actually take off or not.

Consider making a donation ($5.00 directly) or join an advocacy group and part of some possible swag you'd get would be this silly little trinket.
    It fits 4mm housing w/o pinching the cable as well as Avid and Shimano hydro brake lines if you don't over-tighten it. (*Not advised, but I've done it w/o any issues ever.) In other words it clamps onto your lines like it would the tip of a fishing pole. It's modified specifically to go onto our stuff since the fishing pole ones will break since the opening is too small. (*Thanks to 105millimetersofpleasure for mentioning this needed to be clarified. You'll get a freebie!)

The point being is all of the proceeds from this item will go directly back into projects and other things dealing directly with getting us all some better trail's as well as possible access.

As you can hear, it's a nice little "jingle". Nothing too abrasive or loud, nothing too bulky or lame, it's something that makes people smile. Best of all, when you want to tell others about a cause, nothing breaks the ice better than something silly that makes a person smile and relax, becoming more willing to listen to you.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like.

I'm one guy, this is a "small idea", but I am hearing enough support to try and stick my neck out here for your help in getting this ball rolling.

Help the cause, please.

Obi..
    Last edited by Obi; 08-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just Comments on the idea:
    I think it has some very good merits. It will alert other users a bike is coming in desnely used areas, it will also scare away the bears and other wildlife in remote areas.

The potential downside is it constantly rings and to some people will sound like a nagging bike mechanical issue and be obnoxious.

It would make a great little donation gift, especially if it had a logo on it.

Keep us updated.

my body breaks the falls
    Looks flexy

I know my kids (girls) would love to have one on their bikes. Plus it's probably less annoying than the air horn I was thinking of carrying on our rides
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    I'm interested. I recently got a "bear bell" for the same purpose but it is very loud and makes me sound like Santa's sleigh. The little cow bells that I've seen around looked cool too; I'm curious how those sound and how much they cost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ROMP had some incredibell's made w/ the ROMP logo a while back. They were given out at trail work days & meetings. This could be an option too. Can you send me info and I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Or if you are interested, there's a ROMP meeting next monday 8/30. Otherwise, please send to: editor at romp dot org

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Bear bells...

I use a bearbell on somewhat crouded, multi-use trails and get nothing but praise. Sure its a little loud, but that's what you want. Hikers hear me coming from along ways and by the time I get to them, they are usually standing off the trail waiting for me to pass, so it works out well for both of us.

What hikers generally don't like is riders coming up to them fast and quiet, which is why you get the stink eye whenever you surprise them.

It works on xc rides too. Riders hear me coming up from behind before I get to them so they're already pulling to the right before I shout "on your left".

All of this is assuming there aren't ipods in ears with the volume turned up

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    All of this is assuming there aren't ipods in ears with the volume turned up
    Which is when the air horn could be entertaining
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy
    Which is when the air horn could be entertaining
    The skaters are extra funny.

It's about showing up.

Maybe the bizerk usage of bells

on fire roads will force people to spread us out more.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, between a job interview at a shop and the login fail issues I had my hands full until now.

**Bigwheel28, there is really no way to throw a logo on something that small without some serious expense, the bell is the size of my pinkytip, we'd be talking laser etching a 1/4" bell..$$$$$.

Normonster, what time is that meeting and where, it's not on the calendar..
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.romp.org/index.php?module=PostCalendar
    Meetings
    07:00 PM ROMP Meeting Postponed
    Land Meetings
    07:00 PM ROMP Business Meeting
    I work until 7pm-ish and will be in the Camden area of S.J. . I'm not sure ROMP would go with the idea or not. I may have slightly burned a bridge, but need to find out anyhow if things are cool or not.

Whatever you guys want to do as far as this just let me know. I have replies with some interest from organizations, so it will likely be a go from here. I'm thinking since the Turkey Ride is just around the corner and I'm trying for a job around there that would be the perfect venue to hand some out and do a trial run?

From this post on give me a yea or nay so I can start to figure out some numbers for a base order.

So far it's:

(1) 105millimetersofpleasure

(2?) twindaddy (*Duh, it is twins right, so that'll be 2? I'm sorry my memory's bad, getting older and all that.)

(1) boomn

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi,
    ROMP meeting will be on Monday 8/30 at 7pm. Location will be near a caltrain station, and is still not final. It will be posted to the romp list and website, definitely by Monday, and I'll post here too.
    Thanks,
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    *Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, between a job interview at a shop and the login fail issues I had my hands full until now.

**Bigwheel28, there is really no way to throw a logo on something that small without some serious expense, the bell is the size of my pinkytip, we'd be talking laser etching a 1/4" bell..$$$$$.

Normonster, what time is that meeting and where, it's not on the calendar..
    I work until 7pm-ish and will be in the Camden area of S.J. . I'm not sure ROMP would go with the idea or not. I may have slightly burned a bridge, but need to find out anyhow if things are cool or not.

Whatever you guys want to do as far as this just let me know. I have replies with some interest from organizations, so it will likely be a go from here. I'm thinking since the Turkey Ride is just around the corner and I'm trying for a job around there that would be the perfect venue to hand some out and do a trial run?

From this post on give me a yea or nay so I can start to figure out some numbers for a base order.

So far it's:

(2?) twindaddy (*Duh, it is twins right, so that'll be 2? I'm sorry my memory's bad, getting older and all that.)

(1) boomn

Surly OG
    You know, there's a Multi Use trail planned for Pogonip. An area that 12 yrs ago was banned to Mtn Bikes, a readily available CAR FREE route from DT Santa Cruz to UC / Gray Whale / Wilder. [Pitched Advocacy battle - ultimately fruitless].

12 yrs later - City Council has directed a Multi Use trail for Pogonip to be planned and presented to them for further action. It's on a fast track to being built to curb drug problems and public safety issues. No more riding Hi. 9 or the Tracks to get to Uconn.

After the EIR / CEQA - Costs will be discussed.

MBoSC has begun efforts to fundraise and Labor pool to build this trail. I believe ROMP and IMBA will be involved as well.

Obi, This bell may dovetail in very well with some of our fundraising / membership efforts. Multi Use awareness and all that.....

anyway, maybe a ping to Mark D aka Mrtoadsc (mbosc prez) will keep this wheel rolling!
    Earn your turns. )'(

sftrydr
    count me in for 10

So far it's:

(1) boomn[/QUOTE]

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan
    MBoSC has begun efforts to fundraise and Labor pool to build this trail. I believe ROMP and IMBA will be involved as well.

Obi, This bell may dovetail in very well with some of our fundraising / membership efforts. Multi Use awareness and all that.....

anyway, maybe a ping to Mark D aka Mrtoadsc (mbosc prez) will keep this wheel rolling!
    Allright guys, no problem. If you have a contact with someone, like MBOSC just tell them about this thread and have them chime in. This way I can still get a good figure and expected expense, as right now I still have to place an order. I figure I'll wait just a little more and do a bigger order/ship. As for IMBA Tiffanie Beal's passed this on up the ladder, so we'll see.

sftrydr
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Allright guys, no problem. If you have a contact with someone, like MBOSC just tell them about this thread and have them chime in. This way I can still get a good figure and expected expense, as right now I still have to place an order. I figure I'll wait just a little more and do a bigger order/ship. As for IMBA Tiffanie Beal's passed this on up the ladder, so we'll see.
    OK,
    just keep me posted, I'll be giving them out at my beginner skills class over here in Pacifica
    Thanx,
    Jim

Like a boss.
    Marin Trail Stewards would definitely like some. PM me.

I'm intrigued by Berkeley Mike's idea of swamping the fire roads with bells...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    PM me when you and I can discuss the amount you want. I have Fri-Sat off for now.

After this I am going to be filling out the requests from here personally. After that and Piranha426's request I'll have to figure out how best to handle this idea since it is apparently a good enough one evidenced by the headache it's causing right now.

What I would like to try and do from here on out is hand it over as far as pieces and just handle the supply side? Let the entities order them up and hand them out sounds better.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    So far it's:

(1) boomn

(10) ssulljm

(5) Stripes

(100) *Yeah, that company wants to remain nameless, not a bad way to stoke your employees to ride in instead of driving!

(50) PedalStoke

I'm gonna try for 500 pieces, so there will be orders filled and if clubs want them to purchase. I'm hoping for less than 15 days out, but since it's the first order of this size, bear with me if it delays at all, OK.

This little experiment is going really well IMHO.
    Last edited by Obi; 08-27-2010 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

ROMP Meeting: 8/30 7pm

ROMP is hosting a club happy hour at the Tied House Brewery and Restaurant at 954 Villa Street in Mountain View 94041

Come on by!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by normonster
    ROMP is hosting a club happy hour at the Tied House Brewery and Restaurant at 954 Villa Street in Mountain View 94041

Come on by!
    *Depends, hopefully I can finish the work day no later than 7:30pm and make it there. I'll try to bring the laptop to show the vendor info and see about this next part..

**Just so everyone knows what I'm facing with the bells, the vendor has upped their minimums and I am trying to find a work around for it as I don't see myself going through an additional 2000 pieces in this season. (Unless an organization wants to go in on an order with me and get better pricing?)
    Model:8101401
    specification of carton:633314cm
    the number for each carton:2500pcs
    **So again, everyone else who replies after this, I am temporarily suspending the orders to get this vendor drama resolved asap.
    I'll reply as soon as I know a solid answer.

The 170-200 on the list above are spoken for.
    Last edited by Obi; 08-28-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0