mtbr member

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!

With Led Zeppelin's Black Dog playing prominently in the foreground, I gleefully announce the launch of the Dogmeat No-Dab Challenge! What could be a scarier thought on this fine Hallowed morn.

Here's how it works:
    Between now and March 31, 2019, clean/no foot down/ride uninterrupted (however you call it) what's commonly called Dogmeat (In Los Gatos, CA - Technically upper Priest Rock in Sierra Azul) from start of intersection of Limekiln and Priest Rock to top of mountain at the intersection...once you start, you cannot put your foot down or lean on tree for rest. Feel free to ride one mile an hour but it's wheel only to the top. Those that succeed earn their name on the VERY prestigious Wall of Fame and a free craft beer (or something else if a good idea strikes me)! Beer/prizes are only available if more than 11 make the board before time runs out. Honor system.

Here's the beast: Strava Segment | https://www.strava.com/segments/945744

The actual challenge starts at the intersection of Limekiln Trail and Priest Rock Trail and is the Priest Rock ascent to Kennedy Trail at this intersection. (Download map here: http://www.openspace.org/sites/default/files/map_SA.pdf)

For getting there, you have a few options. I'll go easy to hardest:

1) Park next to the reservoir on Alma Bridge Road
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...4d-121.9852146
    You can park next to trail head at either Limekiln Trail or Priest Rock Trail. Limekiln is more of a chunky ascent, almost ST in nature - more on the technical side but not bad. Priest Rock Trail is just a steep FR that gets you there faster but more sustained steep. (Note: if you can't make it up lower Priest or Limekiln, you're in for a rude awakening).

2) Park on Jones Rd, Los Gatos and warm up through St. Josephs Hill. Just take this Jones Trail straight to Alma Bridge.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo...4d-121.9853083
    This will give you a little more saddle time if you are looking for a longer ride. On the way back, you can double back and climb to the top of St Joes for some nice views or descend Kennedy for a bigger loop OR go right at the top of Dogmeat and take on the roller coasters to Limekiln for an even bigger day.

Dogmeat 2017/18 Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) LG Man
    3) pmarshall
    4) Kea
    5) Little Rocketman
    6) bikengineer
    7) Leopold Porkstacker
    8) jparker164
    9) mtnride

So far:
    2011: 12
    2012: 14
    2013: 22
    2014: 15
    2015: 12
    2016: 9
    2017: 9
    2018: 9

ancient rascal (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14, '15, '16, '17)
    Andy J. (’13, ’14, '15)
    ASK (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14, '15, '16)
    Axe (’13)
    bassn (’12)
    BigSpin ('15)
    bikengineer ('17, '18)
    BRoyston (’13, ’14, '17)
    cragnshag ('16)
    Diesel (’11)
    DigDirtDude (’13)
    Dopaminer_09 (’11)
    El Hombre (’13)
    epic_sunday ('16)
    FatTireMan (’12)
    Ike22 (’13)
    Jason F. (’14)
    jasony13 (’13)
    jparker164 ('18)
    Juan Navarro ('15)
    Jens Olson (’14)
    JL de Jong (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14)
    Kea ('18)
    KeithMakesWine (’12)
    Leopold Porkstacker (’13, '15, '18)
    LG Man (’12, ’13, ’14, '15, '16, '17, '18)
    lilysdad (’12, ’13, ’14)
    Little Rocketman ('18)
    locoyokel (’11)
    mboldt (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14, '15)
    Menso ('17)
    mtbhead (’12)
    mtnride ('18)
    mudworm (’14)
    orthorex (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14)
    Plymmer (’11)
    pmarshall (’11, ’12, ’13, '15, '16, '17, '18)
    rogan (’13)
    silentben (’14)
    sirkrameroy (’13, '15, '16)
    skidmarque (’11, ’12, ’13)
    Squashyo (’11, ’12, ’13, ’14, '15, '16, '17, '18)
    Tosa (’13)
    turfnsurf ('17)
    vedson ('16)
    vincinator99 (’13, ’14, '15)
    yz343 ('17)

See here for last years romp: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...s-1059770.html

Go gettem' gang....and, as if I really need to say this, no e-Bikes.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    What is it about this section that makes it challenging? On paper (12% average for 1.5 miles) it doesn't sound too bad, but I assume those stats don't tell the whole story. Are there soul-crushing steep parts, or loose/technical sections that suck away all your energy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    What is it about this section that makes it challenging? On paper (12% average for 1.5 miles) it doesn't sound too bad, but I assume those stats don't tell the whole story. Are there soul-crushing steep parts, or loose/technical sections that suck away all your energy?
    It’s just a steep fireroad is all. Nothing special, just steep.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Without the rain you will find it pretty difficult to make at this point me thinks! Edit: ********************************************* The 20/40 challenge is perfect now being dry. Go try for a sub 20 and we can all guess how much trouble the no dab deal will be for you according to your time?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Nobody
    I would say, get out there now and start making attempts so that your fit when we get a little rain to tack up the surface. I've never cleaned dog meat, but only tried once on a dry loose day. I might have tried this when I was actually fit. Now, it just might be comical to go out on the Fat Bike and see if my heart explodes. 12% is an average grade. There are shortish steep sections that are hell. On some years, it can also be heavily rutted so your forced to ride a spine or a rut.

Trying for this in the next 5 months, if nothing else, will make you stronger. I have no excuse because I live only 2-3 miles from the trail heads on Alma Bridge Rd.

Now that I've uttered that last line, I have to commit to put some effort into this. I look forward for coming out on the other side, much stronger.

So when you see a fat guy on a fat bike attempting this, give me a slap on the ass as you pass and yell, "encouragement"
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Hmmm, sounds fun-ish . . . kinda . . . not really. But I'd like to experience what this is all about. Maybe I'll throw on some plus tires and clipless pedals and give it a go.

A point of clarification on the rules: Is it cheating or against the spirit of this challenge to ride in circles on one of the flatter parts?

Nobody
    No dab is no dab. Just don't dab...

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's far from fun. Just something to do when the good trails are too wet to ride and bellies start getting rounder from all the holiday eats. You can absolutely ride in circles or track stand for that matter...just as long as when you start, no foot hits the ground till you are at the top.

I rode it not long ago and it's in good shape so shouldn't be terribly tricky like other years when the ruts were massive and line choice was slim.

The ride is basically a series of 4 tricky walls with the last being the 1st being the steepest but shortest, the 3rd being the longest, and the 4th being the loosest. Still very doable if you have the legs for it. Each wall has some relief at their tops.

Good luck soldier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Without the rain you will find it pretty difficult to make at this point me thinks! Edit: ********************************************* The 20/40 challenge is perfect now being dry. Go try for a sub 20 and we can all guess how much trouble the no dab deal will be for you according to your time?
    Ha! I can pretty much guarantee that I'd fail miserably at the 20/40 challenge.

To be clear, I wasn't implying that this would be easy, I'm sure it's pretty damn hard or there wouldn't be an annual thread about it. Just trying to better understand the challenge so I can prepare mentally (and equipment-wise).

mtbr member
    Prepare for a steep climb, then when you get to the steep part, you realize there was no way to prepare. Can't stand and power or you'll spin out and dab. Can't sit and weasel your way up. you'll fail. Ok, with the gears now you can sit. The dry rocky terrain will kick your butt if you make a mistake. Just when you think your legs, heart and lungs can't go any further, you still have more to go. I will tackle this beast again this year, multiple times. Like others have said, if it rains, it makes it better. Bring a pump and air down your tires when you ride up. Just remember to add air back before you descend. If you fail, since you're there, ride down and try again. There is no crying in Mtn Biking unless you run into Porkstacker.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtb'er
    Unrelated but related. Nifty little trail in Moab playing a similar game.

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_6697.jpg

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Damn you, Josh. I must be able to do this with my eagle. Right?!**

**like a dog returning to its vomit
    Last edited by dirtvert; 1 Week Ago at 03:53 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Nobody
    28T chainring, eagle, 26" wheels, and studded tires for the win!

mtbr member
    And so it begins! I rang Brucero to journey with me and gleefully he said, "Damn...I guess so.". We rolled up Limekiln to the intersection...gathered our thoughts, fine tuned our strategies, and I started up with Bruce charging up the rear (that sounded wrong).

I'll let Brucero tell his amazing story but a note: He had tried in the past but never quite conquered this beast. You see, Bruce is at a slight disadvantage as a neck injury makes it so that he has to ride with a high stem...so steep long trails are no easy matter. Anyhow...he can tell you his story.

As for me, I rolled up on my newish Jamis Nemesis which I recently built up using spare parts in the garage. Hard tail...about 23 lbs. 27" wheels. 1x12.

Anyhow...started out pretty strong until I hit the 2nd wall...that's about when I realized my wheels had WAY too much air in 'em. I had pumped them up pretty strong for a speed run earlier in the week and just forgot. Hit the third wall just before the turn and spun out...done! Brucero, not far behind me charged ahead as I mulled what to do. I opted to roll down the hill and try again with some air out of the rear. On the way down, a yellow jacket found its way into my jersey and stung me up pretty good...just happy I didn't crash when this was going down.

Got back to the bottom, released a bunch of air and started up again. Man, my legs were a little toast after already trying once but I was determined. Rear wheel did a much better job of sticking to the ground and made it past where I failed before but holy schnickies was I toast. Completely ran out of gas and could not find any oxygen but once you make that left turn, you know you are in striking distance so I just forced myself to keep going.

The last hill is so not enjoyable. You REALLY have to stay on the thin strip of dirt that isn't duff/rocks. But, of course, I managed to veer off track into it and nearly panicked but tires held on and I got back on the track to the finish for the win! I was absolutely out of oxygen...felt like I was drowning. My rear hub also almost totally screwed me as it really cannot handle any torque. It miss fired three times (Clunk!) but didn't super fail so I guess I got lucky.

Anyhow...no dab in the books for me. That was really hard but the line is good...just need to be in shape really.

Good luck everyone else.

Pic 1: Dogmeat in foreground
    Pic 2: My ride
    Pic 3: We are at the start
    Pic 4: Where I failed and Bruce suffered on
    Pic 5: Success!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-trail.jpg  

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-my-bike.jpg  

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-beginningjpg.jpg  

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-my-fail...bruce-carries-.jpg  

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-success.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice work in very dry conditions! Way to go by getting pissed off and having a re-do. Congrats to both!!!!!

190lbs of climber
    What is it about this section that makes it challenging?
    The above link is the run segment, not the bike segment. As I've pointed out before, perhaps the most telling stat about how difficult this climb is can be seen by comparing the two: The running record and biking record are only 12 seconds apart!

I did the bike time on my cross bike, so it has power and cadence data if anyone is interested, and last year I went for it really really hard running. I'm better at biking than I am at running, so I ended up about a minute slower, but I can assure you that the efforts were equal. It's rare that fireroad is just as fast on foot as on a bike, and in this case it's due to the steep pitches and loose rocky surface.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Greetings fellow dogmeaters!

10 years ago I broke my neck in a skiing accident and ended up with a cervical fusion. After the surgery it was really painful to look up or down steeply, which stopped me from road biking. After it improved somewhat, in late 2015 I got an entry level stumpjumper hardtail with the longest stem extender you can buy.

I rode that bike all over the local los gatos fireroads, and eventually started googling for other places to ride, which led me to MTBR. The FIRST thread I found on MTBR was the dogmeat no-dab challenge. I duly rode out out to priest rock, and didn't even make it up the first big hill. I mostly just pushed my bike to the top while cursing the lunatics who claimed it was ridable. With no dropper, going down was worse than going up! Never again!

A year later I upgraded to a dual suspension turner czar, and got more comfortable riding actual trails. The first test of the dropper post was on a long downhill at TNGR!

Around this time I met squashyo who seemed way too excited about this dogmeat challenge I had sworn never to try again. Finally, after much urging, I gave it a shot. Maybe the new bike would help?
    I *still* couldn't get up the first steep section, with the handlebars so high the front wheel wouldn't stay on the ground and I was riding a fancy unicycle. Much falling and cursing! Never again!

This year I upgraded to a ripmo, which seems to keep the front wheel on the ground better. I gave it a shot a few months ago, and made it a lot farther - a few hundred yards from the top, where I spun out and people in town could probably hear me cursing. Never again!

Today, the dogmeat demon (squashyo) messages me. Can I say no? Worst case I could follow and see how the master does it. After a lot of grinding, I look up and see squashyo has spun out At the SAME PLACE I spun out last time! I was so surprised I almost didn't make it either. (If the master can't make it, what chance do I have? He yelled something as I rode by, I was too focused to listen.

Finally, I make it to the top! After three years the dog has been defeated! I can brag to everyone that I rode a bike up a nondescript dirt road! oh yeah!

I wait for squashyo, but he doesn't show. What might he have yelled? Wait, is he so crazy he's trying again?!

So I rode down to meet him, and this is the tale of how after failing and hating on this trail, I rode it no-dab TWICE IN THE SAME DAY.

the end!

my crazy bike handlebars:
    9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-ktop_bike.jpg

bad reputation
    Thanks for this Josh :-/
    Ruin my winter trying to conquer the shittiest mountain bike ride in all of California. As they say “there’s a sucker born every minute” and I’m one of them!
    But congrats to the both of you for killing it on day one

mtbr member

Did someone steal your #1 spot again man?

^ ^ ^ + 1 ... Nicely done to the early birds and congrats to Josh and Bruce for the tag team "BEATDOWN" you boys put on the Dog! The Sierra Azul challenge threads seem to be back in Vogue this year for some reason? Maybe fc and 5k bike / 4 bits legs have spurred on the masses? Should we send a check out to both of them Josh?

mtbr member
    Dirtvert: The Eagle should make this feel like Chupa for you.
    PMarshall: Thanks man. Not sure if it was pissed...more of a depression.
    Turfnsurf: I do find it funny that you come over here from Santa Cruz to do this. Prestige has its price.
    Brucero: That was impressive. Not sure if anyone here read that right but he no-dabbed back to back within a 10 minute span...and he really didn't want to. Guy's an animal.
    Ancient Rascal: Bruce gave me the honor but I dabbed on the first try. (By the way, I stopped in at a local bike shop yesterday to see if they would consider sponsoring these sufferings (DM+20/40) and they seemed somewhat intrigued. There *might* be swag this year.

I'll put this here:

Dogmeat 2017/18 Wall of Fame:
    1) Brucero
    2) Squashyo

Moderator Moderator
    ^ ^ ^ + 1 ... Nicely done to the early birds and congrats to Josh and Bruce for the tag team "BEATDOWN" you boys put on the Dog! The Sierra Azul challenge threads seem to be back in Vogue this year for some reason? Maybe fc and 5k bike / 4 bits legs have spurred on the masses? Should we send a check out to both of them Josh?
    I'll take my payment in predated bitcoin options. Name will be changed to 0.79BTC Bike 0.000079 BTC Legs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'll take my payment in predated bitcoin options. Name will be changed to 0.79BTC Bike 0.000079 BTC Legs
    I can make that bitcoin thingy happen for you man ... or maybe a 1oz silver eagle? How bout a few boxes of 20 gauge for CVSC or Dove hunting? Yeah I mainly shoot the little girly yeller one's!

Moderator Moderator

9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!

I can make that bitcoin thingy happen for you man ... or maybe a 1oz silver eagle? How bout a few boxes of 20 gauge for CVSC or Dove hunting? Yeah I mainly shoot the little girly yeller one's!
    Lol! 20 gauge? Anytime you want to go hit some skeet PM me.

mtbr member

Clay Demo

Lol! 20 gauge? Anytime you want to go hit some skeet PM me.
    I shoot 20g out of my 12g Lightning O/U using the Briley inserts ... smooth and gets on the second clay fast. Or in my case ... a quicker second shot at the first clay! Sporting clays is my favorite game but CVSC / Shotgun Heaven has skeet, etc. as you know. I was hitting it on Thursdays/best day iMO ... but haven't been out for awhile. We'll get out there soon!

mtbr member

Dogmeat is on Sunday's Menu

I need a day off. Tomorrow will work. LG man wants to hit Dogmeat today so I'll go just to keep him company. Not gonna blow a gasket on this till trail conditions improve. Flats on the Ripley and walking shoes on the feet for me.

Moderator Moderator
    How many of you guys who have done this weigh over 185? I’m 195 on a good day, climbing has never been my forte.

mtbr member
    How many of you guys who have done this weigh over 185? I’m 195 on a good day, climbing has never been my forte.
    LG Man is your example of 185 + probably every year of his uninterrupted series after year 1 of the dogmeat challenge thread. He's a strong husky, sexy guy! Although ... If you are not a strong climber this one is probably not for you. Go take a schwing at it anyway man!

190lbs of climber
    I'm 190, it helps keep the traction on the rear tire. But I'm also 6'5, so that's probably not exactly what you were asking. But with a low enough gear and proper form, body weight shouldn't be an issue. Kiss that stem and keep the nose of your saddle jammed into your taint and you got this!

What a weird sport this is...
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Moderator Moderator
    I'm 6'1" 195lbs, and it's all muscle-ish! LOL! I may have to torture myself there just once....from years of wrestling I'm good at suffering, but I still suck at climbing!

Is there a participation trophy?

mtbr member

Is there a participation trophy?
    I am working on that...potential sponsor in the works. Fingers crossed!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    i am working on that...potential sponsor in the works. Fingers crossed!
    lol!!
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 1 Day Ago at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member

Dogmeat needs a mercy shower!

Holy Crap ... I've heard we might not get precipitation this month? I know it's early in the game but ... If we don't get some damn rain soon the challenge will end up short of it's customary customers and repeat offenders! Good that you and brucero already made it! I'm actually afraid of reinjuring myself going up it at the moment because I can't make it sitting. I have to mash some sections. I need more hard rides. Making the dogmeat challenge means way more to me than I care to admit.

mtbr member
    Dogmeat right now really isn't bad...as long as you keep to the thin white stripe all the way to the top.

mtbr member
    I was planning to do a scouting run on Sunday. Any of you weather nerds think the air will clear up by then? It's definitely improved from this morning in Cupertino.

mtbr member
    You really have to lower your tire pressure if you plan on making it up. Every time I have made it when dry, my rear is super squishy. I have no idea of the pressure but around a corner you'd feel it roll on the side of the rim almost. I may try to take a shot at this on Sunday in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    You really have to lower your tire pressure if you plan on making it up. Every time I have made it when dry, my rear is super squishy. I have no idea of the pressure but around a corner you'd feel it roll on the side of the rim almost. I may try to take a shot at this on Sunday in the afternoon.
    I glued several dish sponges to the outer circumference of my tires and used Jello instead of air. Totally worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-screen-shot-2018-11-09-10.04.27-pm.png  

mtbr member

You better get ready

Rain is coming soon ... I'm hoping to take my first shot at this after the rain. I'm sending my crew of 20/40 guys ... except Brucero to get after this also. You'll be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest soon!

mtbr member
    I am going to attempt soon as well. I am way more confident about this than getting that pesky 20 to the tree!

fading away
    That guy on the fatbike looks pretty hardcore. Does he do housecalls for lonely females?
    in this dying light