9/11 Annadel- Mtbr.com

Thread: 9/11 Annadel

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

9/11 Annadel

Thinking about hitting this on the 11th. Anyone do it or can anyone respond to the quality of the trails/race. (The RBR ride is second on the list as a must do that day)

They put on a good show at So No Mas so I thought I would give it a go.

Thanks

ANNADEL 2010 – EVENT SCHEDULE
    SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
    Mountain Bike XC Challenge – Annadel State Park (9:00am – 1:00pm) [Register Online]
    The Mountain Bike XC Challenge offers participants a timed technical and challenging route covering the length of the park on this 24-mile course. Participants will start as a group taking Canyon Trail all the way to Lake Ilsanjo, and finish descending on the well-known and very technical Rough Go Trail. What’s in-between will be disclosed on the day of the event. A shorter option will be available for intermediate and beginner riders. Registration for this event costs $68, and includes an event t-shirt, finisher’s meal and a cold beer.

http://annadel.bikemonkey.net/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    Thinking about hitting this on the 11th. Anyone do it or can anyone respond to the quality of the trails/race. (The RBR ride is second on the list as a must do that day)

They put on a good show at So No Mas so I thought I would give it a go.

http://annadel.bikemonkey.net/

I'll be there, my first real race ever.
    I ride those trails all the time, though they somehow have figured out a way to do lots of climbing in fewer miles. The short intermediate loop is 18.5 miles, with 3500 feet of climbing. I usually do less climbing than that in 25 miles...so I'm not sure what the course will be exactly.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    I'm also strongly considering this event. Just need to figure out whether I should do the intermediate short or long course. Hmmm

mtbr dismember

Get out the camera!

Get out the camera, this should be interesting: "The beginner loop will finish with the rest of the riders on the very technical descent down Rough Go after completing about 9 miles of trail and 1,800′ of climbing."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Get out the camera, this should be interesting: "The beginner loop will finish with the rest of the riders on the very technical descent down Rough Go after completing about 9 miles of trail and 1,800′ of climbing."
    Ha! I thought about that too. There is some pretty nasty places to land if you screw up there, like the big jagged rocks....

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can't really imagine going very fast down Rough Go. Even pulling over to let faster riders by is kind of difficult.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    I'll be there, my first real race ever.
    I ride those trails all the time, though they somehow have figured out a way to do lots of climbing in fewer miles. The short intermediate loop is 18.5 miles, with 3500 feet of climbing. I usually do less climbing than that in 25 miles...so I'm not sure what the course will be exactly.
    Just curiuos, what loop do you usually do? I ride here a lot too. My loop is about 24 or 25 miles and that's a little much for me, but if I cut it short then I miss my fav trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad
    Just curiuos, what loop do you usually do? I ride here a lot too. My loop is about 24 or 25 miles and that's a little much for me, but if I cut it short then I miss my fav trails.
    I usually go up either 2 Quarry, Marsh, or S. Burma, then Lawndale, Schultz, Ridge, S. Burma and find my way down either cobblestone or N. burma, depending on time and energy. Varies from 20 - 25 miles
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

kpd
    mtbr member
    I'm signed up, and yeah, serious carnage potential on the final descent. No idea what they have planned for the rest of the route, but just finishing down Rough Go will make it the most technical XC race in the greater Bay Area. Easy to ride it slow, but try to keep your speed up and it gets scary. If anyone with real skills has me in sight at the top of that descent they'll pass me for sure.

I wish I had trails like that nearby to practice on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpd
    I'm signed up, and yeah, serious carnage potential on the final descent. No idea what they have planned for the rest of the route, but just finishing down Rough Go will make it the most technical XC race in the greater Bay Area. Easy to ride it slow, but try to keep your speed up and it gets scary. If anyone with real skills has me in sight at the top of that descent they'll pass me for sure.

So what's the etiquette on passing someone on that trail in a race? (I'll be the one getting passed). Is it purely up to the faster guy to find a way around? Or if you know you're much slower, do you move over (which isn't easy on that trail)?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Krishna, what are you talking about getting passed at rough go?:-) I also signed up for this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Yes, I know someone who once fell on rough go and was saved by his helmet...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by kpd

I ride annadale a lot. 4 times this week with a dip in the lake mid-ride. When I go slow is when I wreck. If I keep more momentum than I want, it seems easier than the previous ride. But I'm still learning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's kind of a combination of both. The passer should not do anything to jeopardize his anD especially another riders safety.

At the same time it is not right or fair to hold people up. Find a spot that is safe and move over out of the way. People appreciate it.

Most of the time it goes something like this.

Do you want to go by.
    Please.
    Ok let me find a spot and I will let you go.

Of course if you are really slow and a guy is flying you might get.

On your left. And the guy is gone.

I should add that this all goes out the window if you are racing for a top spot. But even the pros let others pass when they know they don't have it. It's about respect and that little thing you learned in kindergarten that many have forgotten.

Do on to others as you would have them do onto you.

kpd
    mtbr member
    So what's the etiquette on passing someone on that trail in a race? (I'll be the one getting passed). Is it purely up to the faster guy to find a way around? Or if you know you're much slower, do you move over (which isn't easy on that trail)?
    I'd basically agree with heythorp: if someone is coming up really fast behind me on a downhill, I try to move over before they get to me so they don't have to loose their momentum. If someone is maybe a tiny bit faster than me, and I've been trading places during the race, I don't feel obligated to help them pass, though actively blocking would be lame.

Hey Pimp-Al! Be fun to see you at the race. And yes, relative to the local Pros my downhilling needs work.

annadel lives in my blood
    fastest time for the big loop would be around 1:50 we estimate there will be aid stations and chp closures its gonna be fun
    annadel is where its at

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndale
    fastest time for the big loop would be around 1:50 we estimate there will be aid stations and chp closures its gonna be fun
    Hey, do you have the inside scoop? What is the beginner loop?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    I usually go up either 2 Quarry, Marsh, or S. Burma, then Lawndale, Schultz, Ridge, S. Burma and find my way down either cobblestone or N. burma, depending on time and energy. Varies from 20 - 25 miles
    Thats the same routes I do except I've started bombing down warren richardson at the end....

mtbr member
    I hope it might provide some of you material to work with if I post here the Annadel ride I've freshly added to my website:

http://bayarearides.com/rides/annadel1
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What is it with $68 for races these days? It gets a bit expensive, especially if you add gas and bridge toll. Who needs another t-shirt? I'll skip this one, but would like to ride the loop some day, since I've been in Annadel only once.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Just signed up for the intermediate short course...

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thinking of joining in on the event SS class... Never been to Annadel before... What are the climbs like? Anything long and extended, short punchy and steep or a lot of rollers? Are there going to be a lot of flat spots to spin out on? Thanks for any info

Chris

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie
    Thinking of joining in on the event SS class... Never been to Annadel before... What are the climbs like? Anything long and extended, short punchy and steep or a lot of rollers? Are there going to be a lot of flat spots to spin out on?
    It's an awesome SS park; no long flats. It's very rocky and technical. If you want to be fast, you probably want at least front suspension for the finish.

mtbr member
    All ready for tomorrow! I'll be wearing my MTBR jersey. Look for me in last place of the beginners
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sad face... Can't get the time off work... Wish i could have made this event, sounds like its going to be fun.

Chris

nocturnal oblivion
    No bike at the moment, new 5 Spot frame waiting to be built though I'll be volunteering at a station. Look for the guy who looks like he'd rather be riding...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have to agree with JL on the cost of this race. I was going to do it regardless of the $68, but between that and another factor I can't justify it.

$68 that is high for a XC race. I thought the cost was fine for So No Mas. As you did get a free night if camping out of it plus 2 meals.

Want to go but can't. They put on a great race at So No Mas so I bet it will be good.

Have fun and good luck to all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    I have to agree with JL on the cost of this race. I was going to do it regardless of the $68, but between that and another factor I can't justify it.

$68 that is high for a XC race. I thought the cost was fine for So No Mas. As you did get a free night if camping out of it plus 2 meals.

Want to go but can't. They put on a great race at So No Mas so I bet it will be good.

Have fun and good luck to all.
    I'm pretty much talking out my a$$ here (as I often do) and while I'll acknowledge that $68 is pretty high for a XC race, I'm guessing it couldn't have been easy to get a mtb race at Annadel approved. I can't think of another race that takes place in a State Park (SRA's don't count) so props to the Bike Monkey people for making it happen.

Personally, I'd rather do one race on some real trails like at A'del then two races at say, CCCX, where you can practically ride a road bike and win. That's not a knock on CCCX either, as I think they think do a fantastic job of providing an opportunity for all disciplines of bike racing. They are just a little bit hamstrung by the venues that are available to them. Bottom line is being a race promoter is a thankless job.

mtbr member
    very bummed that I can't make this race. I would do much more XC racing if more courses resembled the trails that I ride for fun, like this one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I haven't raced since mid July @ Boggs 24hrs but I've been riding a lot still so I should be okay in terms of fitness.

I'm going up early tomorrow to race Intermediate Long Course. My gf is tagging along and a buddy of mine from SLO and his roomate are racing. He is doing Intermediate long course and she is doing pro/expert.

It should be fun, I never been on Rough Go, but I won't hold back

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. (The reason this is a bit pricey is that it's a fundraiser for the parks...)

mtbr member
    Super fun race! it was great riding my local trails in a race. The neutral start was a good idea--I got to ride with lots of people without being too crowded. By the time we got to singletrack, everyone was spread out. I passed about 6 or 7 people.

After the race I heard almost everyone comment at how fun it was. Not how hard, but how fun. Nice.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good one. What was the route?

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
    Sounds like a good one. What was the route?
    the long route was canyon, around the lake, up over richardson, up 2-quarry, down lawndale, up shultz, pig flat, ridge, marsh to s. burma, n. burma, live oak, cobblestone, orchard, rough-go.

the intermediate was simlar except they didn't go down lawndale, up shultz.

short loop was after go up richardson, you went on n. burma, live oak, cobblestone, orchard, rough-go.

was awesome seeing people descend rough-go that weren't used to that type of terrain. however, no one ate it where i was watching. will have to get pics up soon.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    and I noticed that all the hikers (the trails were open to the public) were smiling and cheering on the bikers. Nice.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    can't wait to see some of the pictures. They picked good routes. Hopefully they will do it again next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
    can't wait to see some of the pictures. They picked good routes. Hopefully they will do it again next year.
    I talked to the guy who sponsored it, and he said he plans on it being a yearly thing.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    and I noticed that all the hikers (the trails were open to the public) were smiling and cheering on the bikers. Nice.
    Yeah man! That really made my day, I was worried when I found out it was not an open course. Seems like all the riders were courteous and friendly to the hikers -with the exception of a few "pro" riders

My gloves stink

It's all about communication

One of the jobs of the course marshalls was to inform all the other trail users they encountered that there was a race happening. I was stationed at the Lawndale pkg lot. People would pull in and park, and I'd let 'em know that there were racers coming down Lawndale and that they'd be better off going up Schultz rather than against the traffic. No one seemed to have a big problem with it. I think a lot of the conflicts we so often hear about can be avoided thru courteous communication.

As I watched you guys fly by, I was kicking myself...why did I not race this one? At Annadel, for cryin' out loud! It looked so fun! Still, none of this stuff is possible without volunteers, so I'm glad I pitched in for once.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    As I watched you guys fly by, I was kicking myself...why did I not race this one? At Annadel, for cryin' out loud! It looked so fun! Still, none of this stuff is possible without volunteers, so I'm glad I pitched in for once.
    Thanks for volunteering. You helped make a great race!
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Many, many thanks to the two riders who stopped to help me fix my broken broken chain just a couple miles into the race today, and to all the others who offered help. It really saved my day! Thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers for putting this together, too. It was a fun course (I rode the 18-mile version) and a good way to check out some sweet trails. This was my first time at Annadel, and I really loved it!

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Sounds like You all had a blast!!

don't try this at home
    I posted some pics
    here.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Excellent race! Thank you to all the volunteers and other racers. Super fun.

Uncle
    First sign that folks had a good time: All smiles in the pics
    Second sign that folks had fun: Not a mention here yet about times or podiums.

Very sorry to have been unprepared for, and uninvolved with this event. Next time.

mtbr member
    Great pics Moschika! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Link to article in the Press Democrat
    https://forums.mtbr.com/**************/2CTDg

sub
    mtbr member
    May 2007

more pics from the race

Here are some pics I took on roughgo. Enjoy.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharee

-Nat

annadel lives in my blood
    annadel is where its at

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sub

-Nat

thanks! You got a good one of me suffering (suffering can be a relative thing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9/11 Annadel-picture-2.jpg  

功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndale
    Need a yahoo acct to see them... cant wait though, your other non protected photos on flickr are awesome.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by sub

-Nat
    haha. nice. you even got a pic of me and i wasn't even racing!
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    thanks fo sharing the pix... mine are not as crisp as others, but i try

https://picasaweb.google.com/lamdman...eat=directlink

smile...

mtbr member

Results

Results are posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Really wish I could have made the race sounds like it was a ton of fun.

Chris

My gloves stink

Next year!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie
    Really wish I could have made the race sounds like it was a ton of fun.

Chris
    There's always next year. The Lake Sonoma Series and SoNoMas are also, IMHO, most excellent events, nothin' but fun, also produced by bikemonkey.net
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Members who have read this thread: 0