9:00 AM Jan 5th - Climb Up Dunne in the rain to Henry Coe Entrance - 2644' climb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

9:00 AM Jan 5th - Climb Up Dunne in the rain to Henry Coe Entrance - 2644' climb

Given that all the trails will be super soaked and sloppy tomorrow, I'll be doing the climb up Dunne Ave to the Coe entrance on the road on my MTB in the rain. In case there are others who have the same level of passion and the right rain gear to make it a great ride in spite of the weather, meet at Starbucks on the West side of Dunne Ave. in Morgan Hill just before 9:00AM Sat. Jan 5th.

Anyone game?

I ride a green Santa Cruz Blur LT and will be in a silver truck.

map of location for Starbucks:

http://events.mercurynews.com/morgan...d-walnut-grove

map of road up to Coe:
    http://www.coepark.org/directions.html

Medium?
    Careful coming down. I've stacked pretty hard when it's wet and slick.

Make sure you go up Thomas Grade (take a left just before Dunne takes a right at the base of the 1st hill), it's way more fun and less crowded than that section of Dunne. It hits Dunne again at the top of the 1st climb.

I might join, but I'd be a lot more likely to join at 10 than 9. I'd have to dust of the SS...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Careful coming down. I've stacked pretty hard when it's wet and slick.

Make sure you go up Thomas Grade (take a left just before Dunne takes a right at the base of the 1st hill), it's way more fun and less crowded than that section of Dunne. It hits Dunne again at the top of the 1st climb.

I might join, but I'd be a lot more likely to join at 10 than 9. I'd have to dust of the SS...
    Cool thanks for the suggestion! I'd wait up for you, but the wifey says I have to be back in Gilroy by noon to watch the kids. Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    you psycho! No wonder you are getting so fast.

You must already got your place all protected from the weather with all em sandbags

mtbr member

C'mon Raf...don't tell me you melt lke sugar in the rain!

It's really cool to feel the wind howl and see the trees sway 3 feet either way all the while being pelted by rain drops the size of small buckets...now that's being alive!

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by switchbaxr
    It's really cool to feel the wind howl and see the trees sway 3 feet either way all the while being pelted by rain drops the size of small buckets...now that's being alive!

AGREED - I actually like road training rides in the rain on my mountain bike [provided there aren't too many cars nearby], but it isn't going to happen this weekend as my knees are hurting a bit too much-- I'll rest them.

Totally, and to the max.
    dang, i'd love to join you if i weren't watching my baby girl (who's currently falling asleep on my lap). it's a pretty good climb on the ss. i'm about 2 miles up east dunne, so it's my training ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    dang, i'd love to join you if i weren't watching my baby girl (who's currently falling asleep on my lap). it's a pretty good climb on the ss. i'm about 2 miles up east dunne, so it's my training ride.
    Glad that you're spending time with your girl...she'll be out with you on trailer rides in no time! I started taking my little ones out just before they turn a year old...only for smooth rides in the neighborhood or to the park at first though.

Do you ever do night rides up Dunne during the week?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    AGREED - I actually like road training rides in the rain on my mountain bike [provided there aren't too many cars nearby], but it isn't going to happen this weekend as my knees are hurting a bit too much-- I'll rest them.
    Right on, glad you feel the same way...hope your knees recover soon!

mtbr member
    A little video of the ride for anyone who has a spare two minutes

http://web.mac.com/ronaclan/iWeb/Site/dunne2coe.html

switchbaxr

Slowest Rider

"1st Storm Ride of 2008"

switchbaxr
    That was a nice fun little video, showing some real passion. Worth some spare minutes.

I watched it twice, recognizing every part of the road from my many drives to HQ.

Too bad you didn't get some of the Henry Coe dirt (mud) road in too. And I'm happy one of those trees didn't fall on you.

BTW, what camera is that?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    That was a nice fun little video, showing some real passion. Worth some spare minutes.

I watched it twice, recognizing every part of the road from my many drives to HQ.

Too bad you didn't get some of the Henry Coe dirt (mud) road in too. And I'm happy one of those trees didn't fall on you.

BTW, what camera is that?
    Thanks very much BigLarry! Good suggestion on getting a little more mud shots I was watching for wayward tree limbs the whole way up too. That camera is a Canon Elph SD750...Best Buy for $249.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1170290185723

mmm

switchbaxr
    Thanks! Your vid inspired me to go for a quick ride this am instead of being lazy in bed.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Thats a pretty sweet video! I like it when you put the camera on the ground and rode by doing tricks. How cleaver you are. :-)

mtbr member

switchbaxr
    That vid was perfect. The length and edits were just right. The Ken Burns still interstitials were great.

I was glad you didn't try to bore us with 20 minutes of winding singletrack--which is exciting for the rider only, and nobody else. (Unless there's a crash, of course!)

A road ride video more exciting than most amateur dirt ride videos I've seen--awesome!

mtbr member

Ride on timehoc!

Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    Thanks! Your vid inspired me to go for a quick ride this am instead of being lazy in bed.

Ride on timehoc!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    That vid was perfect. The length and edits were just right. The Ken Burns still interstitials were great.

I was glad you didn't try to bore us with 20 minutes of winding singletrack--which is exciting for the rider only, and nobody else. (Unless there's a crash, of course!)

A road ride video more exciting than most amateur dirt ride videos I've seen--awesome!
    Biking Brazilian thanks very much for the postive feedback...much appreciated! Make it a great day!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Biking Brazilian thanks very much for the postive feedback...much appreciated! Make it a great day!
    So Switchbaxr is the great Ron Aclan?

Nice video. What's up with the handle?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrawler53
    Thats a pretty sweet video! I like it when you put the camera on the ground and rode by doing tricks. How cleaver you are. :-)
    Thanks rockcrawler53! The ground is always available for tri-pod duties...just a little tricky and a little harsh on the camera

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    fc, i think you should hire him to do ride videos for mtbr!

considering it was done with the video mode on a point & shoot, imagine what he could do with an HD vidcam and Final Cut Pro!

of course, the music will have to go before it goes big time, otherwise the RIAA will be serving subpoenas, but i'm sure we have amateur musicians/DJs on the boards who can provide some copyright-free tunes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    Salamat pare...Switchbax was the the name of the bike shop I used to manage in Grover Beach, CA...the R is for Ron

Happy New Year bro!

Members who have read this thread: 0