Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead

Challenge season is on again. Can you ride to the Oak Tree in under 20 minutes and or to the top intersection of Kennedy and Priest Rock in under 40 minutes? I sure as hell can't but I post this up every year anyway! To Tree segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/807965 To top of Kennedy segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/618921 Good luck! ************** Note: The 2.2 mile Potty to tree section for the sub 20 is tough for most riders. The 1.9 mile section for the sub 40 top finish is very doable with a 22 to 24 minute tree time. ************** Let the hairpins be your sub 20 guide here: ... 6th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead- Mtbr.com ... I know, I'm overanalyzing again! ******** Edit: Forgot this ... Strava ... Computer or Stopwatch along with climbing skills and the honor system is what you will need. Travel the extra 40 feet past the last hill to make sure Strava records your time ending before the intersection of Kennedy and Priest Rock trail. Hike a bike is Ok as per race rules. This thread follows and ends with the 9th Annual Dogmeat no dab challenge thread. 10/31/18 through 3/31/19 ... Good Luck! ******************* Please be advised that there are a few blind corners ... hikers and bikers and a downhill section you can be ticketed on. And that's all before the first 5 minutes of the climb! My intentions when starting this thread: *** The 20/40 challenge is an annual 5 month long personal challenge ... an excuse to stay in shape and was never intended to be a race. - AR
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 4 Days Ago at 10:19 AM.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member

Sub 20's here:

... 1.) Brucero 19:34 *KOM* ... 2.) ...
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 6 Days Ago at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member

Sub 40's here:

... 1.) Squashyo 21:16 / 38:26 ... 2.) pmarshall 20:32 / 38:47 ....... ... 3.) fc 21:49 / 39:37 ... 4.) lilysdad 20:15 / 37:55 *KOM* ... 5.)
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 3 Days Ago at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member

Sub 20/40 Combo's here:

... 1.) ... Brucero 19:34 / 36:18 *KOM* ... * pmarshall "pencilled in" time pending! ... * lilysdad "penciled in" pending!
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 6 Days Ago at 09:53 AM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Whoah. Ancient is back!!
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Damn, I was working on this about 4 years ago and literally got a 40:22 to the top. So pissed... Had multiple years of injuries and setbacks, so maybe I need to start workng towards this again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the 20lb. rigid XC bike, so gonna be tough. Either way, it's been since last T-day since I rode Kennedy, so maybe some training is due...

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-kennedy-climb.png
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Iíve ridden this trail twice in my life. In 2015 it took me 55 minutes, and in 2017 it took me 52 minutes. Both times I was giving a pretty good effort. Maybe Iíll try on Thursday and see what my time looks like. Iíll shoot for sub 45 minutes. I think that is reasonable with how much I ride.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Iíve ridden this trail twice in my life. In 2015 it took me 55 minutes, and in 2017 it took me 52 minutes. Both times I was giving a pretty good effort. Maybe Iíll try on Thursday and see what my time looks like. Iíll shoot for sub 45 minutes. I think that is reasonable with how much I ride.
    If my other ride plans fall apart, I'm planning on climbing Kennedy on Thursday late afternoon, as well. I, however, will no be nowhere near my previous efforts. I'm only hoping to be in the ~60 min range...

mtbr member
    *Might* give that 40 a run this year with the new XC rig all raring to go. That 20 is too far out of my wheelhouse these days. Wondering where you need to be at the tree to get 40 without blowing a gasket.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    *Might* give that 40 a run this year with the new XC rig all raring to go. That 20 is too far out of my wheelhouse these days. Wondering where you need to be at the tree to get 40 without blowing a gasket.
    Well, I can tell you that the day that I got a 40:22 for the Kennedy Climb, I was 22:37 to the tree. Everyone rides differently, that day I was going hard for the under 40 min and I was in the best shape of my life before it all came crashing down.

Soon after that I came in 2nd place in my 1st XC race, followed by tearing my calf muscle skiing, followed by breaking 7 ribs/collapsed lung/1litre of blood loss skiing the following season, followed by SLAP repair on right shoulder the next year, followed by emergency appendectomy the next year, followed by ruptured achilles at Downieville the following year.

It's time to get healthy again and stay that way...

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Whoah. Ancient is back!!
    FC, how come your name isn't on any of those Los Gatos challenge lists???

fc
    Sweeeeeeeet. I went out there today on my lunch hour. No training, just cowboy up and go. I did clip in though. Wore some lycra bibs too.

Conditions are looooose. I used the Specialized Epic Evo with 100/120 travel and a dropper post. 25 psi rear and 23 front.

I just went out hard on the first hill and cried. I just haven't gone anaerobic that long and I knew what was ahead of me.

The result is....
    Tree: 22:39
    Top: 41:20

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-screen-shot-2018-10-31-2.18.11-pm.png

I'm pretty jazzed since I didn't walk and I didn't choke and say uncle. The bike I used was cool and I railed Priest Rock and Overgrown with it.

So looking at my history, this is my 11th best time and my best since 2012. Who knows what kind of cheater bikes I was using at those times.

I just haven't cared that hard about climbing fast these past few years. I've been more concerned with fun and descending better. But it's good to see that as my age has crept up on me, there's still speed and effort somewhere.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-screen-shot-2018-10-31-2.20.19-pm.png

I like the 41:20 number because the 40 minute mark is doable. If it was 45, I'd say forget it. Got a couple things to work on and I should get close by next week!

Good luck to all who take it on. It's a measuring stick that has stood the test of time and it's good to say hello to the pain gods now and then.

My guage:
    1 hour - you're a climber now
    40 minutes - You can climb all the Bay Area hills and like it
    30 minutes - You can go pro.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img_0251.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Good lord, what a string of suffering.

I actually had a 19:50/37:13 3rd annual (my only success). But if you get sub 20...sub 40 is pretty much in the bag with less effort.

We'll see!

mtbr member

Today's

Nice Job fc! You are in great shape I see! This is your year for the 20/40 combination and the Dogmeat no dab! Today: I blew my lungs up with a 17:50 to the 3rd hairpin and quit. I have many more tries to go for even a sub 40.

mtbr member
    I am going to go for this again this year as well. I will be using my gravel bike for the 20/40 which won't be easy but my feather light hard tail is in disrepair.
    They never made the "Slowster"

fc
    Good lord, what a string of suffering.

I actually had a 19:50/37:13 3rd annual (my only success). But if you get sub 20...sub 40 is pretty much in the bag with less effort.

We'll see!
    Yeah! What's your new light bike? Let's see it. Weight?

Yes, if one does a 20 minute climb to the tree, that's basically a 37 minute to the top at about the same pace.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I am going to go for this again this year as well. I will be using my gravel bike for the 20/40 which won't be easy but my feather light hard tail is in disrepair.
    Well hallo there stranger danger.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I am a trusted adult, want some candy! Hey there FC!

mtbr member
    Sweeeeeeeet. I went out there today on my lunch hour. No training, just cowboy up and go. I did clip in though. Wore some lycra bibs too.

Conditions are looooose. I used the Specialized Epic Evo with 100/120 travel and a dropper post. 25 psi rear and 23 front.

I just went out hard on the first hill and cried. I just haven't gone anaerobic that long and I knew what was ahead of me.

The result is....
    Tree: 22:39
    Top: 41:20

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.18.11 PM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1223140

I'm pretty jazzed since I didn't walk and I didn't choke and say uncle. The bike I used was cool and I railed Priest Rock and Overgrown with it.

So looking at my history, this is my 11th best time and my best since 2012. Who knows what kind of cheater bikes I was using at those times.

I just haven't cared that hard about climbing fast these past few years. I've been more concerned with fun and descending better. But it's good to see that as my age has crept up on me, there's still speed and effort somewhere.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.20.19 PM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1223141

I like the 41:20 number because the 40 minute mark is doable. If it was 45, I'd say forget it. Got a couple things to work on and I should get close by next week!

Good luck to all who take it on. It's a measuring stick that has stood the test of time and it's good to say hello to the pain gods now and then.

My guage:
    1 hour - you're a climber now
    40 minutes - You can climb all the Bay Area hills and like it
    30 minutes - You can go pro.

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	1223146
    Nice speed!
    Can you do that on your Capra now? I would be curious how much a difference the bigger bike makes.

Wēk SŰs
    lmfao that's e-bike territory for me. haha! heya Ben!

Nobody
    Nice work, fc

You'll certainly snag the under 40 with little fuss.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Nice speed!
    Can you do that on your Capra now? I would be curious how much a difference the bigger bike makes.
    My loaner Capra is gone. I tried to buy it but it was brought in this country with a temp visa entry only

I have other bikes I could try it on. But... not really interested. What really slows the bike down is tires and wheels. Put some FastTraks on a big bike and it will scoot pretty good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    At some point Iím gonna try this challenge on my ripmo with Schwalbe g-ones (basically slicks)
    ..just not sure how Iíll get back down

mtbr member
    I have wanted to try this for years but live in Marin and have never ridden anywhere around there. How tough is it to figure out where to start/where to go?

Any of you super nerds (like me) know the ballpark watts/kg that lands around 40. I know its a ridic question for a MTB forum but I bet someone knows!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

fc
    Yeah, if you make an attempt, post your bike and tire setup for the curious.

We had some road/cross bikes go up before. It's not a big advantage.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I have wanted to try this for years but live in Marin and have never ridden anywhere around there. How tough is it to figure out where to start/where to go?

Any of you super nerds (like me) know the ballpark watts/kg that lands around 40. I know its a ridic question for a MTB forum but I bet someone knows!
    You need about 3 watts per kilo. There's a short downhill section and a flat section that can skew the data. But basically 240 watt average for 80 kilo rider and bike. 150 lb rider and 25 lb bike.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Cool - I just made a strava route and will find a time to head down! Rolling the new Blur with a dropper. Probably 24/25lbs.

mtbr member
    Cool - I just made a strava route and will find a time to head down! Rolling the new Blur with a dropper. Probably 24/25lbs.
    Thood for fought...leave your tools and water at the base. That's what I do when trying this.

mtbr member
    Thood for fought...leave your tools and water at the base. That's what I do when trying this.
    I definitely need water at the top.

Moderator Moderator
    I was 199.8lbs this morning.....I would need 1.21 Gigawatts.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you make an attempt, post your bike and tire setup for the curious.

We had some road/cross bikes go up before. It's not a big advantage.
    Yeah my old racing hard tail is 18lbs. My cross bike is 27 lbs but I should be able to climb with it and hopefully close to 20 mins.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    so this is like the mountain bikers old la honda? if we know our olh time how would the times compare?

the 20 is harder right so you should sprint to the tree and check your split and then you can relax a little if you made 20 otherwise turn around

mtbr member
    Yeah, curious how it compares to OLH 20 minute, which I think takes a bit over 4 w/kg (to keep it nerdy).

fc
    Yeah, curious how it compares to OLH 20 minute, which I think takes a bit over 4 w/kg (to keep it nerdy).
    It is about the same!! When I was breaking 20 minutes at OLH, I was about a 38 minute Kennedy climber. You have to spend a lot of time on both bikes of course to get that power transfer down.
    IPA will save America

fc
    I'd say do it all legit first with proper tires, hydration tools. Leave the trix for later when desperation takes over.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    so this is like the mountain bikers old la honda? if we know our olh time how would the times compare?

the 20 is harder right so you should sprint to the tree and check your split and then you can relax a little if you made 20 otherwise turn around
    The 20 mark is dumb.

The pace is 22 to the tree. That's good for 40.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Nice work, fc

You'll certainly snag the under 40 with little fuss.
    thanks shamis creme!
    IPA will save America

190lbs of climber
    Based on Alex Wild's times on both (14:10 OLH and 24:47 Kennedy, 14:14 Potty-Tree) and my time on Potty to Tree (14:10), you have to go a bit harder on Kennedy than on OLH for an equivalent time. I still have the Potty-Tree KOM because I went out too hard and faded, but Alex told me he did a well paced effort on his attempt. The reason you need more power for Kennedy than OLH is twofold:
    1. you lose forward motion due to traction loss and bumpiness on dirt
    2. There is that 1-minute descent at the beginning where you don't actually pedal at all.

I would guess that for a constant total average power output, my OLH time would be about the same as Potty-Tree. But the non-zero average for Potty-Tree would have to be 10-15% higher to make up for the above two factors.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Rad! Hopefully next week!

mtbr member

Good start for the Azul Challenges!

Thanks for helping out with info on this senseless stupid climbing thread fc, menso and others! ... I was a little broken/injured for last year's challenge season but I'm back on them for this year.
    My loaner Capra is gone. I tried to buy it but it was brought in this country with a temp visa entry only

I have other bikes I could try it on. But... not really interested. What really slows the bike down is tires and wheels. Put some FastTraks on a big bike and it will scoot pretty good.
    You have the current 20/40 thread KOM fc! ... So if I go get a sub 40 you'll come back and try again I suppose.

fc
    If you can climb Montebello in 40 minutes, that is pretty darn close to climbing Kennedy in 40. You need appropriate bikes of course and comfort on those bikes.

Should have a challenge... Kennedy Up AND Down. Go up, tap the tree and head down. That will equalize all these wanker bikes.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    Based on Alex Wild's times on both (14:10 OLH and 24:47 Kennedy, 14:14 Potty-Tree) and my time on Potty to Tree (14:10), you have to go a bit harder on Kennedy than on OLH for an equivalent time. I still have the Potty-Tree KOM because I went out too hard and faded, but Alex told me he did a well paced effort on his attempt. The reason you need more power for Kennedy than OLH is twofold:
    1. you lose forward motion due to traction loss and bumpiness on dirt
    2. There is that 1-minute descent at the beginning where you don't actually pedal at all.

I would guess that for a constant total average power output, my OLH time would be about the same as Potty-Tree. But the non-zero average for Potty-Tree would have to be 10-15% higher to make up for the above two factors.
    Alex Wild ... 24:47.

Who is this mutant? He emails me every now and then because I edge out his Highway 9 road KOMs every once in a while when I go all-out on the ebike (before I turn my ride logging to private). Full boost, and all my power up the road! He is that fast.

I think he should give us some tips.

You too Menso, how do we beat 40? Without training crazy. What bike did you use on your record run? How much faster/slower is a gravel bike?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Thanks for helping out with info on this senseless stupid climbing thread fc, menso and others! ... I was a little broken/injured for last year's challenge season but I'm back on them for this year. You have the current 20/40 thread KOM fc! ... So if I go get a sub 40 you'll come back and try again I suppose.
    right on buddy. We need our Kennedy steward. You still riding a singlespeed? You know those bikes will fack you up.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

C'mon fc

If you can climb Montebello in 40 minutes, that is pretty darn close to climbing Kennedy in 40. You need appropriate bikes of course and comfort on those bikes.

Should have a challenge... Kennedy Up AND Down. Go up, tap the tree and head down. That will equalize all these wanker bikes.
    ****************** That's my trail man ... No fc ... I don't want my ex gf and future ex gf run over while we're hiking up Kennedy ... yes I'm hiking there too now!

fc
    ****************** That's my trail man ... No fc ... I don't want my ex gf and future ex gf run over while we're hiking up Kennedy ... yes I'm hiking there too now!
    ex gf and future ex gf. #getaround
    IPA will save America

190lbs of climber
    how do we beat 40? Without training crazy. What bike did you use on your record run? How much faster/slower is a gravel bike?
    The main mistake people make in training for longer climbs like this or downieville is trying to do long climbs too often in training. If you make one ride a week a training ride for this for around four weeks, you will get more payoff in fitness from going 2x (or 3-4x) hard to the tree then 2x all the way up at a moderate rate. People don't like the pain of riding with HR over 160, but pain makes you faster.

I used a sub-20 pound Stevens hard tail when I got the record. My dad has that bike now and somehow still hasn't snapped it in two. And and FYI, it is customary to report watts in w/kg rider weight, not total system weight. By that metric, 4w/kg is about what is required to do 20 minutes.

As for a gravel bike, if you have a sub 20 pound bike with 45c tires or larger it might be the same IF you have an equally light gear to maintain the same cadence you would be doing on a MTB.

On smaller tires, I think a gravel bike might be a minute slower than a racing hardtail with light xc tires, due increased rolling resistance from the small rubber and higher pressure. Energy is lost with each little bump.

For these reasons, I know I could take thirty seconds or so off my Dogmeat uphill time, which was on my gravel bike with 40c tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I was 199.8lbs this morning.....I would need 1.21 Gigawatts.
    Sup..

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121GW View Post
    Sup..
    Haha! That's a great call sign. And about the right approximation of energy I'd need to get up that hill. Call Doc Brown.....

mtbr member

Oooooh yeah!

right on buddy. We need our Kennedy steward. You still riding a singlespeed? You know those bikes will fack you up.
    Ha ha! Yeah I'm still using the Lynskey for 20/40 and hoping Klein Rascal one more time for Dogmeat. May have to use gears for the Doggy this year though. SS is what makes me a legend in my own mind! I did hurt myself last year using a single speed training on Dogmeat ... it ended up ruining my uninterrupted series for the Dogmeat challenge. Boo hoo! Edit: Your 20/40 challenge KOM may soon be going away! A Marshall was spotted on Kennedy today. ... Piss poor 25:24 tree for me today!

mtbr member
    I title today's ride as failure. Took me 21:20 to the tree and 40:05 to the top. I dropped my chain on that first down section leading to the left hand turn that starts the climb. Took me about 10 secs to fix but I lost speed too which sucks. Wouldn't have made the sub 20 any easier or doable but still pissed me off. I was riding my gravel bike which seemed fine but heavier than my racing hard tail. Again, fitness makes the difference. I will have to go back and try again. I was toast at the top though. Saw Ancient Rascal but I was on a mission so couldn't talk.

mtbr member

Folks we have a new Challenge KOM

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I title today's ride as failure. Took me 21:20 to the tree and 40:05 to the top. I dropped my chain on that first down section leading to the left hand turn that starts the climb. Took me about 10 secs to fix but I lost speed too which sucks. Wouldn't have made the sub 20 any easier or doable but still pissed me off. I was riding my gravel bike which seemed fine but heavier than my racing hard tail. Again, fitness makes the difference. I will have to go back and try again. I was toast at the top though. Saw Ancient Rascal but I was on a mission so couldn't talk.
    Congrats on your failure Paul. You bested fc's attempt. But wait there's more ... We now have almost all the number of players on average for this thread! I'm not kidding! 3 ... 5 ... 7 riders and it's usually a wrap for the season! I'll be on Kennedy 9:30 ish tomorrow on foot with Hiker Janie and LG Man ... to witness the droves of soon to be disappointed challenge fans!

mtbr member
    I just spent the afternoon reviving my old hard tail. It is alive!!!! It is also 9 lbs lighter than the gravel bike! It is still 1X10 but I should be able to do better on it I hope. I just need to dump more stans in the tires and I should be good. After I passed you I was hurting. I had no idea of my time because I didn't use stop watch. I may use one on the next go. We shall see.....

mtbr member

Too dangerous to encounter hikers, unless you ride it at night....

fc
    My left knee hurts. Thanks clip-in I may have to do this thing clipped in and flat pedals. Be a good experiment of the difference.

Very good advice Menso.

I tweaked my bike yesterday and it was good. Raised the saddle a few mm, slid the saddle forward, dropped the stem. Also the Ground Control was in the rear and Fast Trak in front. Switched those.8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img_0019.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My left knee hurts. Thanks clip-in I may have to do this thing clipped in and flat pedals. Be a good experiment of the difference.

Very good advice Menso.

I tweaked my bike yesterday and it was good. Raised the saddle a few mm, slid the saddle forward, dropped the stem. Also the Ground Control was in the rear and Fast Trak in front. Switched those.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	1223497
    Dang ... Glad you're still playing man. Menso's heavy hitting to the tree advice is what I usually try. I have 5 hard rides to the tree already and broke through the lung coughing thingy yesterday with a 25:24 tree. I need 23 ish to make the 40 but remember a 22:30 tree with a low 37 top while following B. Climber one year!

mtbr member
    Still got it!

Had a small window to ride today so thought I'd see where I came in on this here challenge. Goal was the 40 but didn't have much hope as I have been mostly DHing and Moto riding. I have however been riding with Brucero who is a very fast climber so he has been keeping me honest on the climbing stuffs.

Pumped up rear tire to 50lbs and front to 40lbs thinking faster rolling tires would help. I also warmed up by riding from home which gave me a 30 minute easy spin to trail head. I opted to leave my tools, water, and speaker at the base...any failure meant a pretty short DH walk to trail head and based on personal experience, I happen to know that every little bit helps when trying to beat this challenge.

Started with my rear tire on the entrance gate, hit the stop watch on the iPhone attached to my bars, and sprinted away. The pumped up tires made for a scary descent but I was stealing seconds wherever I could find em. I took Menso's advice and opted to keep a hard but mellow pace at the start. In the past, I always blew up way too early. So, I found a cadence that kept me going up but not to the point where I was drowning for oxygen. I really liked the stop watch on the handle bar so I could track my times at certain points.

Hit the first right hairpin at 10:30 which is below where you need to be for the 20 but was feeling pretty good. Hit the second hairpin at 15 on the dot. I think I was 19 at the last left hairpin before it levels off and the tree is near. I knew I had no chance at the 20 (I wasn't trying for this in any real way...goal was 40). Hit the Tree at 21:16. Dayummm! Things were going pretty great! I knew from a previous effort that tree to top for me is about 17 minutes so I was definitely in the sweet spot.

Hit the flat, long straight section at 25...only 15 minutes to get to top. Wasn't sure at that point. Got to the first big wall after the sharp left turn at something like 31. So in my head I knew I had three minutes for each wall (three in all). I also knew that the last wall is steep as F but not a three minute climb so I was feeling like, whoa...this is going to maybe happen.

Crawled up the last wall as I have 4 minutes to do it. Crossed the finish line at 38:16...but couldn't figure out how to turn off stop watch.

Anyhooo....success!! Pretty happy this newly turned 50 body can still bring some charge. Feeling like the 20 may actually be doable on this bike. We'll see... I was in the red zone most of the way up but manageable red zone...maybe the lower end. It's pretty much non-stop cranking for 40 minutes with some ver slight relief part...that you have to pedal. Good times.

Bike: Jamis Nemesis (Carbon Hard Tail I built up from garage scraps.) About 23 lbs.

Tires: 27.5 Specialized Ground Control 2.1 rear/Butcher 2.3 Front

Rear Wheel: 2 broken spokes

1x12
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img-0400.jpg  

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img-0401.jpg  

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img-0403.jpg  

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img-0405.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Awesome job Josh! Not sure those bar ends are UCI legal for this race tho

mtbr member
    Great work man! You're on the sub 40 list and the first official thread customer. I am gonna struggle with this and Dogmeat. But struggle I must!

fading away
    If I can get my fully rigid 29er rear tire successfully set up tublessly then I am certain I can get a sub 20/40 run up there. I donít want to have to suffer with the fatbike, as it is a whopping 9 pounds heavier (8 pounds of rotating mass in total).
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    Meh... 24/44. I definitely had more in the tank, and knowing the trail a little better would probably shave a minute up top. I think 42 to the top is doable for me, but I don't know about 40. 20 to the tree... don't think so.

Still, not bad for ~36 lb bike (Whyte S-150 S w/water and tools) and ~210 lb rider. High Roller II up front, Crossmark on the rear, both with ~1300 miles.

fc
    Still got it!

1x12
    Amazing work and write-up!!!!!!

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Leave A Mark View Post
    Meh... 24/44. I definitely had more in the tank, and knowing the trail a little better would probably shave a minute up top. I think 42 to the top is doable for me, but I don't know about 40. 20 to the tree... don't think so.

Still, not bad for ~36 lb bike (Whyte S-150 S w/water and tools) and ~210 lb rider. High Roller II up front, Crossmark on the rear, both with ~1300 miles.
    wow. Beast mode bike!!!
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    Yeah DUDE!!!! Good effort.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member

Me so Jealous !

Quote Originally Posted by That'll Leave A Mark View Post

Man alive ... that had to hurt! I need to add an "honorable mention" section in the thread? 10% off the finish line time and you're in! You can get the sub 40 with a few more tries. I've come back before from 24 minutes to under 20 in my younger days. ... Not sure I'll be able to beat your time. Says slow old 145lb rider with 18lb cheater bike.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah Squashyo! I am going again soon on my hard tail and will try for the 20/40 in one ride. I am also doing the stopwatch thing on my bars. I just had no idea last time and perceived effort and actual time don't mesh on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iím posting from on top of Kennedy. I just absolutely killed myself racing up here, and was looking forward to posting that I got the 20/40 when I found out Strava stopped recording.

Argghhh!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    Iím posting from on top of Kennedy. I just absolutely killed myself racing up here, and was looking forward to posting that I got the 20/40 when I found out Strava stopped recording.

Argghhh!
    That's not cool man. I'm gonna do it with redundancy. Wahoo Bolt and iphone. Take the lower time of course.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Whatís the downhill time?

mtbr member
    Kennedy DH is pretty dumb. Dogmeat Dh is slightly more exciting with the water bars and the long line of vision (you can hit close to 50 if the conditions are ripe and you can let go of the brakes).

Bummer Bruce...this mountain taunts you.

mtbr member
    Kennedy DH is pretty dumb. Dogmeat Dh is slightly more exciting with the water bars and the long line of vision (you can hit close to 50 if the conditions are ripe and you can let go of the brakes).

Bummer Bruce...this mountain taunts you.
    +1 Bruce ... nobody suffers more this time of year than I do! ... Cost of lighted wrist precision timing device insurance ?... 15 dollars ... cost of ... nevermind! Kennedy 25 and 50 under ... this one's 4 U !- Mtbr.com .... 8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead- Mtbr.com - You'll get it next time ... again!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    with as many people as there are on this thread interested in climbing a big hill fast I'm surprised I don't see more of you at xc races. you get to ride your bike hard and its a closed course and there are downhills too! you can hang out and drink beer with your buddies after!

fc
    with as many people as there are on this thread interested in climbing a big hill fast I'm surprised I don't see more of you at xc races. you get to ride your bike hard and its a closed course and there are downhills too! you can hang out and drink beer with your buddies after!
    Money, time, drive, nerves, organizers, mediocre courses are maybe some reasons.

So what's your Kennedy time? The world is waiting.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Whatís the downhill time?
    Just cruising it takes about 14 minutes. Under 11 minutes is fast.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Money, time, drive, nerves, organizers, mediocre courses are maybe some reasons.

So what's your Kennedy time? The world is waiting.
    are you calling me out? I don't really think anyone is waiting. I'm not that motivated to climb a big hill unless I'm trying to race other people

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    rox, why would you even comment here if you aren't interested? There's lots of internet forums discussing things I find boring, but I don't go post on all of them.

fc
    are you calling me out? I don't really think anyone is waiting. I'm not that motivated to climb a big hill unless I'm trying to race other people
    Yes, calling you out. It's the race of truth.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Honor Code Loyalty ... with the threads of Truth!

fc and rox are killing me today! ... Speaking for myself hoping Squashyo concurs. "We want you on our walls/steeps ... We need you on our walls" I'll just leave this heare hoping it helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

fc
    I almost went there today. Good thing I did not. I need many, many short burns before I can withstand a big long effort. Fremont Older and the surrounding roads are actually very good for it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Trail is fast and dry!

I almost went there today. Good thing I did not. I need many, many short burns before I can withstand a big long effort. Fremont Older and the surrounding roads are actually very good for it.
    Not sure how long this stoke will last ... but more folks are participating in the Dogmeat and 20/40 challenges this year and I'm loving it! Again ... Thanks fc and others for playing! ... #6 Tree Trainer ride for me dis moanin! When I get a 23:30 I'm penciling myself in for a sub 40!

fc
    Not sure how long this stoke will last ... but more folks are participating in the Dogmeat and 20/40 challenges this year and I'm loving it! Again ... Thanks fc and others for playing! ... #6 Tree Trainer ride for me dis moanin! When I get a 23:30 I'm penciling myself in for a sub 40!
    You need to post daily leaderboards. Slacker.

We may have an opportunity to start planning a day event. Everyone out there, hitting the forty.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You need to post daily leaderboards. Slacker.

We may have an opportunity to start planning a day event. Everyone out there, hitting the forty.
    HAHAHAHAHA! squashyo 38.26 ... CURRENT SUB 40 *KOM*

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Probably not smart to challenge this mountain 2 days in a row, but I did!

I think it's fun everyone is curious about how to get up the hill faster - tires? weight? bar ends? So here's all my technical details

Bike: Ibis Ripmo, 25.3 lbs, suspension fully open
    Tires: Schwalbe G-One 2.35, 25psi front, 35psi rear
    Rider: 6'0, 192lbs, 49yrs
    flat pedals with running shoes for maximum power transfer efficiency

Surprisingly these near road slick tires made it up the final hill without too much slipping.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-strava.png

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow man! Great goddamn job buddy!

fc

Yo Adrian. We did it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Awesome Francis! What happened to your plan of practicing first? Just couldn't stay away?

fc
    Had to get home and upload. The time is:

39:37

My downhill time is way more impressive.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-img_0121.jpg

So here's how it went down.

Sitting at home, voting done, couple stories done and my knee and body felt good. So I got the bike ready and drove over there. I had an overwhelming obsession that it had to be done while I was motivated.

Rear tire at 35 psi and front at 30. I pumped up the rear shock so I could ride it wide open cause I can't stand how the Brain Shock kicks when in platform mode.

So I rode the initial hill about 10 times. Warmed up for about 1000 feet and I was ready.

Took off, hit the stopwatch, had the Wahoo Elmnt and the iphone going.

I felt fine. Had some 21 Savage playing on the iphone and pedaled a bigger gear than last time.

I got to the tree in 21:49. This was kind of bad news because calculation said that I was RIGHT at 40 minutes. That meant that the party was over. This is the situation where you grab pain by the tail and throw it around. Let it go and you LOSE by seconds.

Anyway, I kept up and cried a little. I got to the final wall at around 38 minutes and there was just so much pressure. Give up and fail, slip and fail. Anyway, I held on and got it. It was so painful.

I went to the helipad and had a moment. I let air out of my tires and shocks and crushed the downhill. I realized that there are flats and climbs on that wide-ass fire road so it's actually hard to go fast on a big bike. Anyway, haven't found that time yet.

Anyway, I'm super-stoked since i'm aging with zero training. But I ebike a lot and descend well. So the balance is good.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-screen-shot-2018-11-06-3.23.30-pm.jpg

fc
    IPA will save America

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    25lb ripmo!?

the best way to get up this hill faster is to do it twice a week for 3-4 weeks.

Moderator Moderator
    25lb ripmo!?

A 25lb Ripmo is impressive indeed!

fc
    25lb ripmo!?

We need a parts list on that 25 lb Ripmo. Da hell? You put a Stepcast 32 on that thing?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Way to go FC! The stress on the last couple hills knowing that you worked so hard and any little stupid thing could blow it up is palpable. Stoked for you.

fc
    Got my descent - 11:25 on XC bike. Wide road, good sight lines at noon on a weekday. So I'm at 51:12 rally time then.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Yeah boys!

Nice work today fc and Brucero! Two more in! Congrats! I can't break 25 minutes yet! Maybe I need more warmup ... maybe I need gears ... maybe I just need to hang in the 25/50 ... 30/60 under thread! Fixed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The ROADMO came out of a conversation with squashyo where I got curious how much of the supposed difference between various bikes might just be the wheels/tires. Also, I have an agreement with my wife that I can spend money on wacky bike projects, but no more than two bikes in our small garage at the same time.

So rather than build a hardtail like squashyo, I figured why not just have two sets of wheels for the same bike?

Ripmo build for actual trail riding, 28.3 lbs:
    frame: L
    dpx2, fox 36 performance
    renthal carbon bars + cheap alu riser stem
    GX shifter / derailleur
    XX1 cranks
    XO1 cassette
    guide RSC 180mm F/R
    ks-lev 175 carbon
    volt carbon saddle
    bright pink knog oi bell
    HT me03 pedals
    random strips of heli tape
    1550g 35mm ID carbon wheels
    2.5 DHF / aggressor combo

ROADMO build, 25.3 lbs, everything the same except the wheels:
    1270gm 24mm ID carbon rims
    Ashima AiNeon 90gm rotors
    Schwalbe G-One F/R (~500gm per tire)

The rims use the same DT hubs so I don't need to fiddle with the derailleur adjustment and switching wheels only takes a minute

One unappreciated fact of the ripmo is it's probably the lightest frame in its class. It only seems heavy due to the front fork and beefy tires. I'm guessing it'll be a long wait for fox to make a stepcast 36 though!

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-photo-nov-06-4-38-21-pm.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-54919490.jpg

190lbs of climber
    Nice work everyone!

Would anyone be interested in a "guided effort" on Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving? I'm going to be up in Cupertino and will bring my gravel bike so I can grab some power numbers to share with the nerds. If there's interest, I can lead an effort that will be paced to come in around 39 minutes.

What works better, morning or afternoon? (I hope you all voted yes on Prop 7...).
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    The ROADMO came out of a conversation with squashyo where I got curious how much of the supposed difference between various bikes might just be the wheels/tires. Also, I have an agreement with my wife that I can spend money on wacky bike projects, but no more than two bikes in our small garage at the same time.

So rather than build a hardtail like squashyo, I figured why not just have two sets of wheels for the same bike?

Ripmo build for actual trail riding, 28.3 lbs:
    frame: L
    dpx2, fox 36 performance
    renthal carbon bars + cheap alu riser stem
    GX shifter / derailleur
    XX1 cranks
    XO1 cassette
    guide RSC 180mm F/R
    ks-lev 175 carbon
    volt carbon saddle
    bright pink knog oi bell
    HT me03 pedals
    random strips of heli tape
    1550g 35mm ID carbon wheels
    2.5 DHF / aggressor combo

ROADMO build, 25.3 lbs, everything the same except the wheels:
    1270gm 24mm ID carbon rims
    Ashima AiNeon 90gm rotors
    Schwalbe G-One F/R (~500gm per tire)

The rims use the same DT hubs so I don't need to fiddle with the derailleur adjustment and switching wheels only takes a minute

One unappreciated fact of the ripmo is it's probably the lightest frame in its class. It only seems heavy due to the front fork and beefy tires. I'm guessing it'll be a long wait for fox to make a stepcast 36 though!

Name:	Photo Nov 06, 4 38 21 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	1223891
    Going DH with those tires must be fun.

mtbr member
    Nice work everyone!

Would anyone be interested in a "guided effort" on Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving? I'm going to be up in Cupertino and will bring my gravel bike so I can grab some power numbers to share with the nerds. If there's interest, I can lead an effort that will be paced to come in around 39 minutes.

What works better, morning or afternoon? (I hope you all voted yes on Prop 7...).
    Right on Menso! If I get a little faster in the next two weeks I'll be in for this.

190lbs of climber
    I think some people misinterpreted what I meant by shorter instead of longer efforts. While there is also value in going absolutely all out for 20 minutes, what I meant was to do 2x20ish minutes (or 4x10, 3x15, etc) instead of a single 40 minute effort at a more moderate pace.

I think it's more effective to do 2x to the tree at nearly-max effort in a single ride than 1x to the top. Alternately, max effort to the tree, then take 10 minutes or so to recover in the the shade, and then go all out to the top for your second effort of the day. Maybe throw in a few of those horrible steep hills beyond the top after. Once a week of that for 2-3 weeks (in addition to your normal riding) and then give it a full go and see if you can beat your PR.

mtbr member

I've got post #99 problems, being slow is one! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I think some people misinterpreted what I meant by shorter instead of longer efforts. While there is also value in going absolutely all out for 20 minutes, what I meant was to do 2x20ish minutes (or 4x10, 3x15, etc) instead of a single 40 minute effort at a more moderate pace.

I think it's more effective to do 2x to the tree at nearly-max effort in a single ride than 1x to the top. Alternately, max effort to the tree, then take 10 minutes or so to recover in the the shade, and then go all out to the top for your second effort of the day. Maybe throw in a few of those horrible steep hills beyond the top after. Once a week of that for 2-3 weeks (in addition to your normal riding) and then give it a full go and see if you can beat your PR.
    Thanks for making this painfully clear Menso! ... We have our marching orders!

fc
    #coachmenso
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast