Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fc
    head minion Administrator
    Alex Wild said to draft all the turkey ride climbers.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Thanks for making this painfully clear Menso! ... We have our marching orders!
    Post a leaderboard with all who have posted a time. Címon rascal
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

C'mon fc ... back at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Post a leaderboard with all who have posted a time. Címon rascal
    OK ... but I have all successful times listed already ... including the sections KOM. You want it all on one post I see. Edit: Another week or so and the thread will be on page #2 already ... soon to be forgotten? I got my 3 successful entry's for the season already! ... Coincidentally ... now this thread is on it's own page 2. ... see what happened there?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member

Hellzzzz yes

#coachmenso
    Holy crap! Now I have to double my trips to the tree per training rides ... or take a break at the tree 10 minutes ... then blast to the top. This is either gonna kill me ... or make me much faster. His dad coached me to a sub 20 one year! ... A nice kick in the ass of "Training Encouragement" ... he looked at my times and told me a sub 20 was gonna be very hard to achieve!
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 1 Week Ago at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Was so close I could taste it! I started in the dark and just went for it. I used my old hardtail. Garmin was in my pocket but had a GPS watch on. Nothing happened I just didn't make the under 20 mark. I got to the tree at 20:32 and to the top in 38:47. One out of two ain't bad but holy hell the segment to the tree was pain city. Had a chat with midpen at the gate when I was done in the dark. Ranger was super cool because I was way past the closing time and I knew it. Now I just need to get 33 seconds off.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member

You are in sir!

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Was so close I could taste it! I started in the dark and just went for it. I used my old hardtail. Garmin was in my pocket but had a GPS watch on. Nothing happened I just didn't make the under 20 mark. I got to the tree at 20:32 and to the top in 38:47. One out of two ain't bad but holy hell the segment to the tree was pain city. Had a chat with midpen at the gate when I was done in the dark. Ranger was super cool because I was way past the closing time and I knew it. Now I just need to get 33 seconds off.
    Only pmarshall ... Whether retrieving a beer from a chopper in the middle of the night or trying for a 20/40 combo in the dark ... nothing stops this Patriot! Congrats on the effort man! You're 2nd place on the sub 40!

mtbr member
    Just don't do it at night like me. Midpen will be out more because of the time change. That sub 20 is going to be tough. I will get it but going to have to go 102% to get there!!!! After the tree, I slowed up and just rode enough to make sure I would get under 40. I weighed myself after the ride, 175! I was 155 when I did my fastest time on Kennedy. I can motor pretty good on the flat stuff, just the steep climbs are harder, obviously. I am ok with it, having fun and that is what counts.

fc
    Night ride Kennedy... duh, we could have told you that.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Embarrassing attempt by me today. Pushed hard until about the 15 minute mark and then hit a wall and died. Literally had to stop and crawl my way up to the tree. Now I know why I race Enduro and not XC. I will be back to get a respectable time though.

Mark me down in last place:
    30:36 to the tree
    DNF to the top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Almost got it today, AR! 20:15 to the tree and 37:55 to the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-d67065ae-7c61-43e4-89d1-bd9583905c85.jpg  

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Embarrassing attempt by me today. Pushed hard until about the 15 minute mark and then hit a wall and died. Literally had to stop and crawl my way up to the tree. Now I know why I race Enduro and not XC. I will be back to get a respectable time though.

Mark me down in last place:
    30:36 to the tree
    DNF to the top.
    Right on, hang in there. That is the process. Try, set a mark, come back, set a PR, repeat.

If it doesnít kill you, itíll make you stronger.

Or:
    If it bleeds, we can kill it
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Fine job dad!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    Ok, here's the leaderboard. Just copy and paste and edit every few days so it's easy to follow. Looking forward to more attempts!! And we are more interested in failures and the battle to overcome.

Kings of Kennedy 20/40

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-screen-shot-2018-11-09-3.21.04-am.jpg

Gate to Top
    1. Brucero 36:18
    2. Lilysdad 37:55
    3. Squashyo 38:26
    4. Pmarshall 38:47
    5. fc 39:37
    ----------------------
    6. That'll Leave a Mark 44:00

Gate to Tree
    1. Brucero 19:34
    ----------------------
    2. Lilysdad 20:15
    3. Pmarshall 20:32
    4. Squashyo 21:16
    5. fc 21:49
    6. That'll Leave a Mark 24:00
    7. Ancient Rascal 25:24
    8. Rboardman 30:36
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 10:29 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm thinking next Wednesday is the day if the air quality isn't fully terrible. Since I've never been there, I'll plan on soft pedaling up to the tree to check things out then coming back down and slamming it!

If anyone else interested, hit me up! Still variables with work but going to try for leaving SF early AM.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I'm thinking next Wednesday is the day if the air quality isn't fully terrible. Since I've never been there, I'll plan on soft pedaling up to the tree to check things out then coming back down and slamming it!

If anyone else interested, hit me up! Still variables with work but going to try for leaving SF early AM.
    that is a good plan indeed!!

I hope no one attempts today.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Nice work lilysdad. This definitely ^ ^ ^ warrents being penciled in on the combination man!

mtbr member

Heads up on Kennedy

I was hiking Kennedy yesterday and we noticed a new Ranger on the trail. He was in his truck set up to ticket riders at the 15 minute hairpin at the bottom of the steep lower chopper pad hill. I warned a few riders as they went by. Keep an eye out! Let's be careful and make sure to not get too crazy out there as the 20/40 challenge has successfully flown under the radar for 8 years. SWIDT?

fc

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead

Readings today are still 150 Aqi at the base and top. Far from ideal for an all out effort

Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 09:11 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Train for Dogmeat and 20/40 same ride

Readings today are still 150 Aqi at the base and top. Far from ideal for an all out effort

It may be this way for a good portion of this week. I wonder if you could stay above most of this bad air by riding warmup to the tree then do increased effort to the top? Then go down dogmeat partway to the Dealbreaker hill and climb back up. Maybe hit the Bastid Brothers hills on the ridge too. What a horribly miserable training idea. Pretty sure coachmenso would approve! Nicely bumped fc!

Nobody
    I did the group ride @ Demo yesterday. Looked pretty hazy I was driving in prior to the ride, but smoke was not visible during. To be honest, it's very deceiving because you acclimate to the smell very quickly. I was noticeably struggling on climbs yesterday, but not enough that I was concerned. However, after getting home last night, I was coughing quite a bit and and my breathing was pretty shallow and strained. Terrible headache all night and this morning.

I, obviously, am part of a sensitive group as I had asthma as a child and doesn't take much for me react to less than perfect conditions. I even start to struggle up in Tahoe at elevation if I am there for more than 3-4 days.

I will be very cautious the next week or so. I really need and want the cardio, but healthy respiration takes priority...

Know your limits and pay attention to your body. Conditions are still not great
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Moderator Moderator
    I did a short ride with my daughter up at Russian Ridge yesterday. I have no allergies, no asthma, take no medications of any kind, and I almost never get sick (knock on wood). I could feel a little burn in my lungs for about an hour after the ride, which is unusual for me. Be careful, there's more stuff in the air than you think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Had time to go for it today on the lucky 13th.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1963484524

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    We should do a "spirited" group ride to the top

mtbr member

20/40 combo ... You killed it again!

Quote Originally Posted by yz343 View Post
    Had time to go for it today on the lucky 13th.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1963484524
    Congrats yz343! 18:02 Tree and 33:28 Top. You were on a cross bike again no doubt!

mtbr member
    Congrats yz343! 18:02 Tree and 33:28 Top. You were on a cross bike again no doubt!
    That's fast dude!
    I'm not sure how this works.

fc
    King of Kennedy!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Doingitright View Post
    We should do a "spirited" group ride to the top
    Hahahahaha! shots or beers? I think these folks still do the drink a beer get a shorter lap course during the race thing? https://allevents.in/events/2018-sin...20005436285399 First place must get the race tattoo also ... both guys and gals!

mtbr member
    I had an excuse to be down there for work today so I went and hit it. Probably not the best day from an air quality perspective, but that's what I had to work with. Started with a short noodle up for about 15 minutes to check things out, then went back to the start and slammed it.

18:32 to the Potty Tree
    34:34 to the top.

Plan was to go really hard to the tree to get sub 20, recover for a bit, and then steady to the top which worked pretty well.

25lb 2018 Santa Cruz blur with dropper.
    Maxxis Aspen 2.2 on the back
    Maxxis Ardent Race on the front.

Worst part was I had no idea where I was going, so no idea when it would be over or how I was tracking. Fun though in a type two way.

8th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead-blur-kennedy.jpg

I have a PM on my MTB if anyone interested in nerdy details.

I'm E Tuck (Dog) on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1964904931

mtbr member
    You crushed it and smoked a pack of cigarettes in the process. Great job!

mtbr member

Welcome aboard etuck

18:32 Potty to Tree ... BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE ... 34:34 TO THE TOP! Nicely done man! ... Hey 20/40 fans ... Make sure to show some love to the other side of the mountain. Rain is coming supposedly ... makeing the Dogmeat no dab much more palatable

mtbr member
    Jim, you killed it!!!!!

mtbr member
    Holy hell!!!! Nice work!

mtbr member
    Cool to ride somewhere totally new. Those fire roads are steep!

For anyone interested in a good Marin challenge - Railroad Grade Gate to Gate is the classic Tam climb. Sub 50 minutes is pretty comparable I think. Sub 40 is beast! It's not nearly as steep but much longer.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1289...all&gender=all

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I had an excuse to be down there for work today so I went and hit it. Probably not the best day from an air quality perspective, but that's what I had to work with. Started with a short noodle up for about 15 minutes to check things out, then went back to the start and slammed it.

18:32 to the Potty Tree
    34:34 to the top.

Truly amazing work and resolve!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    The main mistake people make in training for longer climbs like this or downieville is trying to do long climbs too often in training. If you make one ride a week a training ride for this for around four weeks, you will get more payoff in fitness from going 2x (or 3-4x) hard to the tree then 2x all the way up at a moderate rate. People don't like the pain of riding with HR over 160, but pain makes you faster.

I used a sub-20 pound Stevens hard tail when I got the record. My dad has that bike now and somehow still hasn't snapped it in two. And and FYI, it is customary to report watts in w/kg rider weight, not total system weight. By that metric, 4w/kg is about what is required to do 20 minutes.

As for a gravel bike, if you have a sub 20 pound bike with 45c tires or larger it might be the same IF you have an equally light gear to maintain the same cadence you would be doing on a MTB.

On smaller tires, I think a gravel bike might be a minute slower than a racing hardtail with light xc tires, due increased rolling resistance from the small rubber and higher pressure. Energy is lost with each little bump.

For these reasons, I know I could take thirty seconds or so off my Dogmeat uphill time, which was on my gravel bike with 40c tires.
    I used my BH RX with 33 Vitoria intermediate cx tires at 35psi. I did slip at the very top and nearly had a heart attack. No possible way to do Dog Meat with this set up. My BH comes in at 18.5 lbs. Gearing is 11-32 rear 46-36 front.

I feel Kennedy is right on the edge of being too steep for me with this gearing. However, I'm way faster on every fire road climb on my cx bike than on my 21lb hard tail. Plus, I'm getting older and I seem to be more sensitive to weight.

Paul. I missed a PR to the tree by 2 stupid seconds. Are you going up Thanksgiving?

190lbs of climber
    Alright everyone, if you want to do a paced effort, meet me at the Gate at 10:30am on Wednesday. Depending on who shows up, we can do two groups: a sub-20 to the tree for the fast people (they keep going to get the easy sub-40 you get out of that), and then I can ride back down and go for a 39:xx climb with whoever isn't up for the sub-20. It looks like there's a 20% chance of light rain, which is fine with me. I'll probably go up and over to check off dog meat after.

Who wants in?
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member

Kennedy gate 10:30 - 11 Sunday

Yes there will be an easy ride up Kennedy tomorrow. Probably 4 ish of us at least. Social pace unless one of you tries to drop Porkstacker then we'll see you at the top. Come out and say hi. The air is supposed to be better but we're going anyway! Edit: AQI prediction 149 ... Language also Unhealthy for the sensitive! ************************************Kennedy 25 and 50 / 30 and 60 under ... this one's 4 U ! I can do the 30 / 60
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 3 Days Ago at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes there will be an easy ride up Kennedy tomorrow. Probably 4 ish of us at least.
    5 ish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Leave A Mark View Post
    5 ish
    Right on ... Now we're talking ... looks like 10:45 - 11 ish at Kennedy Potty ... LP and I should be there 10:45 ish. ********** 5 ish riders now!

fading away
    Yes there will be an easy ride up Kennedy tomorrow. Probably 4 ish of us at least. Social pace unless one of you tries to drop Porkstacker then we'll see you at the top. Come out and say hi. The air is supposed to be better but we're going anyway! Edit: AQI prediction 149 ... Language also Unhealthy for the sensitive! ************************************Kennedy 25 and 50 / 30 and 60 under ... this one's 4 U ! I can do the 30 / 60
    Geez man. Name dropping and sh°t. Now I simply MUST get a sub 20/40 since you mentioned me. Oh dear. This is going to be painful.
    in this dying light

mtbr member

Nobody parked on Kennedy today @ 11 ish

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Geez man. Name dropping and sh°t. Now I simply MUST get a sub 20/40 since you mentioned me. Oh dear. This is going to be painful.
    Well ... he almost made the 20/40 list. 5 of us up Kennedy to the intersection of Kennedy and Dogmeat! Not bad air once you got past the tree. Good to meet and ride with That'll leave a mark! Filthy Air Language Sunday ride 11/18/18
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 2 Days Ago at 09:23 AM.

fc
    By this weekend, this trail will be primed!!! Our legs won't be.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

20/40 moves to the back burner

By this weekend, this trail will be primed!!! Our legs won't be.
    I hate to scare away my thread customers ... but ... Almost any moisture on the Kennedy trail slows your times down. You can feel your bike slowing on the long downhill before the climb begins. Strong riders will still be able to do it! Priest Rock Trail / https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...s-1091431.html ... providing it doesn't get too wet ... is the "challenge" ticket now IMO!

fc
    I hate to scare away my thread customers ... but ... Almost any moisture on the Kennedy trail slows your times down. You can feel your bike slowing on the long downhill before the climb begins. Strong riders will still be able to do it! Priest Rock Trail / https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...s-1091431.html ... providing it doesn't get too wet ... is the "challenge" ticket now IMO!
    Disagree completely. Hasn't rained in 6 months so the trail is dusty, slippery snot.

First two inches of rain will be good for speed and the trail drains extremely well. After many, many inches of rain, the bottom part and a couple other parts get slow.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

The dogs barking!

Disagree completely. Hasn't rained in 6 months so the trail is dusty, slippery snot.

First two inches of rain will be good for speed and the trail drains extremely well. After many, many inches of rain, the bottom part and a couple other parts get slow.
    You're probably right. Times will tell!

mtbr member
    You're probably right. Times will tell!
    I trust the guy who has been running this challenge for 8 years and basically lives on Kennedy.

fading away
    Well ... he almost made the 20/40 list. 5 of us up Kennedy to the intersection of Kennedy and Dogmeat! Not bad air once you got past the tree. Good to meet and ride with That'll leave a mark! Filthy Air Language Sunday ride 11/18/18
    With you as my witness several times before, the GPS/Strava thing seems to always add minutes to my times as compared to using the trusty ol stopwatch. Anyway, I will let high technology cheat me, and I will accept the 21:30/40:58 time that my Garmin GPS and Strava have granted me. I have a large bagload of excuses for my failure as you remember.
    in this dying light

mtbr member

Who knew you might run into a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    With you as my witness several times before, the GPS/Strava thing seems to always add minutes to my times as compared to using the trusty ol stopwatch. Anyway, I will let high technology cheat me, and I will accept the 21:30/40:58 time that my Garmin GPS and Strava have granted me. I have a large bagload of excuses for my failure as you remember.
    With the whole crew as my witness ... I had offered my stopwatch. Took it off my wrist. ... zeroed it out ... Almost begged him to use it ... but nooooooooooooo ... you wouldn't listen to me. I just penciled you in on the 20/40 combo. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    Alright everyone, if you want to do a paced effort, meet me at the Gate at 10:30am on Wednesday. Depending on who shows up, we can do two groups: a sub-20 to the tree for the fast people (they keep going to get the easy sub-40 you get out of that), and then I can ride back down and go for a 39:xx climb with whoever isn't up for the sub-20. It looks like there's a 20% chance of light rain, which is fine with me. I'll probably go up and over to check off dog meat after.

Who wants in?
    Is this still on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12