2nd Annual World's Toughest Mountain Bikek Ride- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

2nd Annual World's Toughest Mountain Bikek Ride

This ride crosses the Sierra in a single day on a 90-mile route from Auburn to the west shore of Lake Tahoe. Last year’s inaugural event was lauded for its diverse challenges, scenic beauty and the most spectacular finish in the world – a descent from the crest of the Sierra, with a panoramic view of Lake Tahoe, to the finish line on the sandy shores of Lake Tahoe. 28 pioneers completed the initial event and stand in history as the only people to cross the Sierra in a single day. Join them this August 7th for a fantastic adventure that will challenge a diverse set of skills on and off road. The route travels on remote logging roads with minimal traffic, forest service and state park dirt roads, single track mountain bike trails and the historic Rubicon Jeep Trail.

This will be a low-key grass roots event with approximately 40 riders - with great gifts and support. The first 64 miles are mainly paved with zero technical difficulty. But dirt fiends fear not, because the final section through the Desolation Wildnerness features an extremely technical 5 mile single track mountain bike trail and 5 miles of the infamous Rubicon Jeep Trail, known for its giant boulders and the awesome Cadillac Hill, a 700’ climb in a single mile. Plan for plenty of hike and bike through the 11-mile wilderness section. A technically inferior rider can comfortably complete this event with extra time allotted for more hike and bike over the tough sections. The final 6 miles offer a relaxing descent to the lake with the panoramic view of the Sierra.

The ride starts at 5:30am in the historic Gold Rush town of Auburn, 30 min east of Sacramento. After 90 miles and 13,000’ of climbing, you will enjoy the breathtaking finish at Lake Tahoe and the satisfaction of crossing the mighty Sierra in a single day. Participant goodies are unmatched by any other event, including a $35 long-sleeve high-performance DriRelease T-shirt and a 1.5lb container of Cytomax Energy Drink (retail $21.50) and numerous other items. Entry fee is $195 before July 15th. A return shuttle is offered from Lake Tahoe for an additional fee. For details and on-line or print entry forms, please visit Home Page

There are extensive course descriptions and photographs on the web site:

Route Description

Route Map

Route Photos

Coors, the american beer.
    looking at the route description i think it would be more fun to start at tahoe and ride down to auburn
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

pewpewpew Moderator
    My bro is doing this. GO SEAN!

Ride what you want!!
    So would it be ok to do the first 65 on a road bike, then switch bikes to finish the ride?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

g c

Apr 2004
    Hey Mike Vandeman........I'm calling you out. You are reading this thread, post to the one that you and I have a banter on....like the IMBA board.

Jackhole.

mtbr member

Great Idea

Crappy route.....that ain't no "mountain bike ride"....this should be done on the western states trail like the Tevis Cup (for horses) or the Western States 100 (runners) but.....ohhhhhh nooooooo! Can't have mountain bikes on that trail......on with the rant......I live in Auburn (supposed to be the "endurance capitol")....but not for mtn bikers. I can't understand why the WS can't be used for a one time event like this or for a 24hr race that could have been held in Auburn this year. Anyways....one of these days I'm gonna ride down that sucka from squaw (2 days) to Forresthill.
    :p

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    So would it be ok to do the first 65 on a road bike, then switch bikes to finish the ride?

george

No need for two bikes. Do it on a crosser!

only slightly broken
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    )....but not for mtn bikers. I can't understand why the WS can't be used for a one time event like this or for a 24hr race that could have been held in Auburn this year. Anyways....one of these days I'm gonna ride down that sucka from squaw (2 days) to Forresthill.

Well, as soon as you pass Watson's Monument

on both the horse and run event,
    you are in federal wilderness and then private property, so getting
    a bike through there is gonna be tough.
    The lower "closed" areas like California loop to Poverty Bar could probably be
    worked around, but the wilderness and private property......

patrick, sharing your pain. I really really would like to do this on a bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Did that last weekend

Tahoe Donner to Auburn via Western states, old forest service roads, and ST. Epic day, some very beautiful wilderness out there took about 12 hours and we skipped out on a couple of ridge/valley descents due to time constraints.

Excellent stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

See my post above

did it last weekend. Two local guys very familiar with the area took us on a sweet route down through Serene Lakes, the Cedars, and up and over Lion's ridge, and than down into French Meadows. We passed on Duncan Canyon due to time, but come to find out that was a good thing since the trail would have been mostly hike a bike due to downed trees. Beautiful ride, would be nice to have an endurance race all the way down, but honestly some of the stuff dropping below Robinson Flat would be miserable, since it's straight up coming out of the canyon, I think heard something like 38 switchback ascent and close to 2000 feet in 2 miles!

Anyway, regarding an endurance race, there's enough in Auburn to have one. You could easily set up a two lap 100 miler from the trails, ranging from Cool, Auburn, and Foresthill. Could be fun, even with a low flow day, you could throw in a river crossing at Poverty Bar.

Hmmmm, the possibilities!

mtbr member

Oh The possibilities....

The ride down to F Meadows sounds great.....we were thinking about that last week looking accross the valley from the top of missing link....hmmmmm.....more details? Where did you start?.....Out and Back???

As for an endurance ride in Auburn....I can understand how it could be a logistics nightmare....because of having to croos busy roads....Forresthill, Hwy 49......I know that there is a push to get a 24 hr race in Auburn by next year but this is going to require some give from the WS trail folks to use the section between Auburn and and Cool....the Olmstead loop has been ruled out because of camping and crowd restrictions in Cool...

Sure would be great to have a race like that here.

s
    :p

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sent you an email

through the board, hopefully, it worked.

Talk more detail about our route off the board. But we rode up to Tahoe Donner on roadbikes from Auburn on Friday and than MTB'd from Tahoe Donner to Auburn on Sunday, epic weekend.

only slightly broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    did it last weekend. Two local guys very familiar with the area took us on a sweet route down through Serene Lakes, the Cedars, and up and over Lion's ridge, and than down into French Meadows. We passed on Duncan Canyon due to time, but come to find out that was a good thing since the trail would have been mostly hike a bike due to downed trees. Beautiful ride, would be nice to have an endurance race all the way down, but honestly some of the stuff dropping below Robinson Flat would be miserable, since it's straight up coming out of the canyon, I think heard something like 38 switchback ascent and close to 2000 feet in 2 miles!

Anyway, regarding an endurance race, there's enough in Auburn to have one. You could easily set up a two lap 100 miler from the trails, ranging from Cool, Auburn, and Foresthill. Could be fun, even with a low flow day, you could throw in a river crossing at Poverty Bar.

Hmmmm, the possibilities!
    So you basically did the old Soda Springs road (is that the right one, the one that goes
    through Serene Lakes to French Meadows?) with some side routes thrown in? Sounds
    nice. The climb to Robinson up Duncan Canyon is doable, but still pretty fire damaged in
    places. The climb up to the Ranger Station at Little Bald Mountain is a *****, though.

A couple folks in Cool and Pilot Hill told me it was gonna happen, but I'm going to
    Switzerland this weekend and saving myself for the Alps -grin-

Drop me a note if you have a minute and we can compare notes/ideas.

patrick
    Last edited by pffft; 08-02-2004 at 11:16 AM.