27.5+ tire recommendation- Mtbr.com
    trekker
    Jul 2005

27.5+ tire recommendation

I have a buddy with a Trek Fuel 27.5+ that has the original schwalbe XC-style tires on it, 2.8 front and back, SunRingle 40 rims. He's been riding at UCSC with me, but doesn't really hit anything harder than chopped salad, goat sucker, delivering mail, or the airflight trail.

I know nothing about 27.5+. Anyone have a suggestion on what tread and width for the 40 rim width? 2.8 stockers seemed huge, but if that's best, them so be it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Maxxis dhr2 2.8

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have two sets: Scwhalbe Rocket Ron rear 2.8/Nobby Nic front 3.0, Maxxis Chronicle rear 2.8/Ikon front 3.0.

Both feel like absolute garbage. I don't know why anyone would use plus tires unless they're on a rigid bike, they're on some horrible mix of snow/sand/dirt, or they want to go slow on purpose.

The only noticeable difference between the two sets is that the Schwalbes are a bit more supple and handle the mud a bit better. Aside from that they both suck.

mtbr member
    My suggestion, ditch 27.5+

Sorry for the smartass reply but damn if I don't hate those big fat bastards.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    May 2006
    2.8s has its place. I still use them for uphills at Mission Peak Stanford side and Alum Rock. Shut down past few months left the trails marble like. EBPark gravel addition also doesn't help. The 2.8s offer amazing traction to prevent spin outs during climbing.

For the university, trail condition are much less in demand for 2.8s. I have Rocket Rons and like them for the climbing light weight. Havoc suppose to be pretty decent as well.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Wish he could ditch the +, but he'd have to replace the rims. Looks like 40mm internal width rims might fit 2.6 tires, and will likely be pretty squared off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    Wish he could ditch the +, but he'd have to replace the rims. Looks like 40mm internal width rims might fit 2.6 tires, and will likely be pretty squared off.
    If by “sun ringle 40”, do you mean their Duroc 40 rims? If so, he’s in luck — those are 36mm ID.
    So 2.6 would fit great.

Uncle
    I ride a hardtail too and still like my HRII front / Rekon+ rear (dual compound). I've heard no one complain about the DHF on the front either, except for the "too heavy / too slow" stuff that comes when + tires get mention. I haven't ridden them, but the Bontrager XR4 looks ideal too for the front, and maybe rear too - if these are still available.
    I don't ride SC much, but it's been fun and reliable at Skeggs. Races have been canceled, so everyone gets a trophy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I ride a Chameleon in 27.5 +. i38 rims. Rekon R/DHF F works well in the dry and loose over hard. I have a second set that when its soft has HansD in R/Magic Mary F and is awesome. All are 2.8's

2.6's may lower the BB too much as they are not really a Plus tire, sidewalls are much smaller than 2.8/3.0 tires.

mtbr member
    I ride a fezzari cascade peak 27.5+. The bike came with 3.0 width WTB bridgers on 40 mm scrapers. The bridgers turned out to have weak sidewalls and I tore three different tires.

The year after I bought the cascade peak fezzari went to Maxis rekon and minions at a 2.8width. So, I went with these tires and am more than pleased at the traction and the durability. They look cool too.

As for the nay sayers, I find that the larger tires ride loose rocks and baby heads much better than narrow tires and they ride loose sand, gravel, and mud much better than narrow tires. Since a lot of my riding is wild (as opposed to bike parks and official trails) the better flotation improves handling a lot.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski