2020 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2020 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic

The Mother Lode Epic is scheduled for June 20th this year. The 32 mile, 4 stage, point-to-point XC/Trail race with a boat transfer across Folsom Lake is full of adventure, accomplishment and community. The race is fully supported with shuttle service to the start, three aid stations with neutral support, food and DJ's. You can even wakeboard on the boat transfer for bonus "points"! The lakeside post race party is fun for all with our own section of beach, live music, pizza and beer.

Registration is opening this Thursday, January 16th, at 6am. www.motherlodeepic.com

Santa Cruz Bicycles is back as title sponsor!
    - Carbon podium prizes!
    - Two special sections on course - "Reserve Rock Gardens" where you can earn a chance to win a carbon Reserve wheelset of your choice by cleaning the technical sections.

Fox back with special "Transfer" prizes, and they're also hooking up all of our 70+ volunteers with Fox apparel!

Podiums will go 5 deep in most categories.

I'm also working on a guaranteed Pro payout. $1500 split equally between Pro Men and Women. Stay tuned on that...
    Husband - Dad - Bike Racer - Race Director

Clipped In Races

jct
    mtbr member
    hey clint, i'm not familiar with any of those trails at all. i ride a SS rigid 29er. what's the gnar factor on the course?
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    This is one of the best races in Northern California. The course is great, the people are great, its well run, awesome swag! Anything run by the ClippedIn Races crew is awesome, but this is the crown jewel. Don't miss this one if you have the day open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    hey clint, i'm not familiar with any of those trails at all. i ride a SS rigid 29er. what's the gnar factor on the course?
    It's a mixed bag and every stage is different. I assume you know what you're doing if you're rocking a rigid SS, so you should be fine. There is an SS category also.

Stage one is flowy singletrack, then the biggest climbs of the day with some fast descents mixed in that aren't very rocky but have ditches and some consequence.

Stage 2 is a net loss with long descents and some rock creek crossings in the middle, then the last descent down to the bottom is pretty rocky. Nothing you can't do on a hardtail though if you know how to pick your line.

Stage 3 is the roughest and most rocky. Reserve Rock Garden 1 is at the start of this one. Tough pedaling XC trail (Salmon Falls / Darrington Trail). Full suspension is best especially at this point in the race, but if you know how to handle a bike a hardtail can get it done.

Stage 4 is smooth, flowy Granite Bay trails. Few technical granite rock sections here and there (Reserve Rock Garden 2) but overall not rough. Don't be fooled though if you think you know Granite Bay, the combination of it being the end of this race and the route we take all the way to the finish makes Granite Bay hard.

Hope that helps!

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer View Post
    This is one of the best races in Northern California. The course is great, the people are great, its well run, awesome swag! Anything run by the ClippedIn Races crew is awesome, but this is the crown jewel. Don't miss this one if you have the day open.
    Thank you!

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    sounds like its easier than going around the foresthill loop twice, folsom is in my backyard

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post
    It's a mixed bag and every stage is different. I assume you know what you're doing if you're rocking a rigid SS, so you should be fine. There is an SS category also.
    thanks bud. i'm gonna try to rally a crew from Scruz to make it up there!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    In as a volunteer again this year. Trust me, if you're on the fence about doing this just do it! It's an amazing event.

mtbr member
    In again. Great event that shouldnít be missed

mtb'er
    If you are more of a "for fun" or adventure rider than a racer, this is a great event for you as well. Its a very unique point-to-point route that you simply can't do without the boat crossing. The three "rest stops" along the way are well stocked, social and help you get ready for the next segment ahead of you... no need to carry a day of provisions on your back!

Fast people will finish in under 3 hours (plus rest time).

Fit but not crazy fast people will finish in 3+ hours (plus rest time)

People who keep the pedals turning but are more out for the adventure and fun will likely finish closer to 4 hours but less than 5 hours (and still make all time cut-offs, including rest time). So if you've done 4 to 5 hour rides with some stops, you can definitely tackle this.

You gotta do it at least once!

2020 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic-1-2011.jpg

2020 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic-old-guy.jpg

mtbr member

Just registered. One if my buddies who lives up north convinced me. My entire race season this year is in nor cal. Living 20 min from mexico means lots of travel this season.

This is going to be sandwiched between 2 weekends of enduro races with the california enduro series. Should be a busy month for me.

Does anyone have tire recommendations? Is this a race where you actually want xc tires (like racing ralphs) or something with more meat on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This race is awesome, well organized and a great course.

One thing to factor into any training is that this race will be be hot. Make sure you do some riding in 90+ temperatures to get acclimated.

It doesn't seem to bother the locals, but I trained in the Bay Area and this race was before we had had any real heat. I kept a good pace until the heat hit me like a ton of bricks and I had to SAG out at the end of Stage 3. There weren't a lot of others who DNFd, but everyone who did seemed to be from the Bay too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Just registered. One if my buddies who lives up north convinced me. My entire race season this year is in nor cal. Living 20 min from mexico means lots of travel this season.

This is going to be sandwiched between 2 weekends of enduro races with the california enduro series. Should be a busy month for me.

Does anyone have tire recommendations? Is this a race where you actually want xc tires (like racing ralphs) or something with more meat on it?

Xc tires with exo style casing. The 2nd and 3rd stage are pretty rocky and the rocks are sharp.

mtbr member

Like Proz said stage 2/3 are rocky with a good potential for flats. Iíve done it with a 1000 gram Riddler once and twice with Mezcals. Itís a gamble to go light but over 30 miles and 4K+ elevation light tires are nice. You definitely want fast rolling. It will be hard pack for stages 1-3 and sand/hard pack on stage 4. Iíve beaten guys faster than me bc they had flats.

Also key is having a nutrition/hydration plan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iank View Post
    This race is awesome, well organized and a great course.

One thing to factor into any training is that this race will be be hot. Make sure you do some riding in 90+ temperatures to get acclimated.

It doesn't seem to bother the locals, but I trained in the Bay Area and this race was before we had had any real heat. I kept a good pace until the heat hit me like a ton of bricks and I had to SAG out at the end of Stage 3. There weren't a lot of others who DNFd, but everyone who did seemed to be from the Bay too.
    It was great last year compared to years 1-2 that were in Aug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    It was great last year compared to years 1-2 that were in Aug.
    I agree! Except for the wind that came up so strong it made the lake so choppy people couldn't wakeboard on the transfer!

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Xc tires with exo style casing. The 2nd and 3rd stage are pretty rocky and the rocks are sharp.
    So something like an ardent race up front and an ikon out back, both exo should be ok?

I havenít run xc tires in years but pretty sure running minions would be a big mistake.

mtbr member
    So something like an ardent race up front and an ikon out back, both exo should be ok?

I havenít run xc tires in years but pretty sure running minions would be a big mistake.

That's my go-to XC tire setup around here. Minions would be pretty overkill for this event IMO

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    That's my go-to XC tire setup around here. Minions would be pretty overkill for this event IMO
    Sweet. I will be going with those then.

Iím really excited for this race. More so than some of the enduros that I probably should be focusing on. Just did a 30 mile ride yesterday to rebuild some endurance and dial in nutrition plans.

mtbr member
    Sweet. I will be going with those then.

Iím really excited for this race. More so than some of the enduros that I probably should be focusing on. Just did a 30 mile ride yesterday to rebuild some endurance and dial in nutrition plans.

Nice! Just wait until you see what I have planned for Georgetown...

Clipped In Races

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    If you are more of a "for fun" or adventure rider than a racer, this is a great event for you as well. Its a very unique point-to-point route that you simply can't do without the boat crossing. The three "rest stops" along the way are well stocked, social and help you get ready for the next segment ahead of you... no need to carry a day of provisions on your back!

Fast people will finish in under 3 hours (plus rest time).

Fit but not crazy fast people will finish in 3+ hours (plus rest time)

People who keep the pedals turning but are more out for the adventure and fun will likely finish closer to 4 hours but less than 5 hours (and still make all time cut-offs, including rest time). So if you've done 4 to 5 hour rides with some stops, you can definitely tackle this.

You gotta do it at least once!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2011.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	1305733

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old guy.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	1305735
    I remember the 76 yr old, met him up at Northstar previously, very cool gentlemen Ran into him again on race day, bit humbling, he finished 1 spot ahead of me Looks like I got to up my game

NedwannaB
    Sign up glitche? Kept asking for birthdate info everytime I entered it and went to sign up. Looks complete to me....
    Also what are mens age group categories?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic-screenshot_20200121-201606_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by JMac47; 01-21-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: More info
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Sign up glitche? Kept asking for birthdate info everytime I entered it and went to sign up. Looks complete to me....

Thanks in advance.
    Are you trying on your phone? I had some trouble and had to switch to my laptop.

mtbr member

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry you're having that issue. We just tested it on Andriod, iPhone and PC and it works. If you're still having that issue can you please email [email protected] and we'll get it resolved.

Age groups will be divided up equitably based on the ages of people actually registered. Meaning if there's (for example) 40 people age 42, it could be just a one year age group category.

Based on last year's finishers, here's our preliminary breakdown:
    Men
    19-29
    30-34
    35-39
    40-44
    45-49 (this had 47 finishers last year, so then we might split it)
    50-54
    55-59
    60+

Women
    19-34
    35-44
    45+

Clipped In Races

NedwannaB
    Sorry you're having that issue. We just tested it on Andriod, iPhone and PC and it works. If you're still having that issue can you please email [email protected] and we'll get it resolved.

Age groups will be divided up equitably based on the ages of people actually registered. Meaning if there's (for example) 40 people age 42, it could be just a one year age group category.

Men
    19-29
    30-34
    35-39
    40-44
    50-54
    55-59
    60+

Women
    19-34
    35-44
    45+
    Thanks. 60+ for me. I'm on Android I'll give it another go.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

NedwannaB
    Yeah. Samsung.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Hey Clint. I don't understand the difference between "pro" and "age group" . If everyone is going the same route, same distance, then I'm just not sure why the differentiation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    Hey Clint. I don't understand the difference between "pro" and "age group" . If everyone is going the same route, same distance, then I'm just not sure why the differentiation.
    Pro is supposed to be the fastest guys and gals, and has no age designation. They start first and get clear trail, at least on stage 1. Also new this year we're adding a Pro purse, currently $1500 split between men and women.

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    Pro is supposed to be the fastest guys and gals, and has no age designation. They start first and get clear trail, at least on stage 1. Also new this year we're adding a Pro purse, currently $1500 split between men and women.
    Thanks.

Now go buy one of these for your kid:

http://youtu.be/8L_rFMd0Jgs?t=76

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Man I really miss this race since I moved away....tried to time a visit back to NorCal for when this was happening but not going to happen this year. Past 2 years when I see all the photos, and 'watch' the run-up to it from a far (everyone pre-riding, and doing trail maintenance, etc...all the same stuff I'd be doing if I were around) and see all my friends in it, I get super duper home sick!

Fingers crossed you are still doing this in 2021 Clint because I WILL be back then!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Man I really miss this race since I moved away....tried to time a visit back to NorCal for when this was happening but not going to happen this year. Past 2 years when I see all the photos, and 'watch' the run-up to it from a far (everyone pre-riding, and doing trail maintenance, etc...all the same stuff I'd be doing if I were around) and see all my friends in it, I get super duper home sick!

Fingers crossed you are still doing this in 2021 Clint because I WILL be back then!
    Where are you trying your shoelaces in the meantime?
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Where are you trying your shoelaces in the meantime?
    In July of 2018 I moved to Denmark.

Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    In July of 2018 I moved to Denmark.

Cool. Yeah we talked briefly heading up to "The Bench" on one of the Rose->Toads rides, and in passing on return leg back to Folsom Bikes with Empty_Beer on one of the FLEAS a few years ago.
    I'm going to give the Mother Lode a go this year.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

NedwannaB

Men
    19-29
    30-34
    35-39
    40-44
    50-54
    55-59
    60+

Women
    19-34
    35-44
    45+
    All good. Signed up. Looking forward in giddy schoolgirl anticipation now...
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any news on this race? I registered, but sure itís up in the air?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsky View Post
    Any news on this race? I registered, but sure itís up in the air?
    The lake is high enough for boats, and currently the land managers/parks do not have closures extending that far into June. So it's still on and we're still planning for it. Thanks for signing up!

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    See you guys in 2021! I appreciate the thorough explanation email. I may have to order a gopro and film a not so epic motherlode movie.

mtb'er
    Yesterday was supposed to be the 4th Annual Mother Lode Epic. Despite being cancelled due to covid, three friends and I decided to do MLE XL. It was great! Here's 7 hours and 45 minutes condensed down to 11 minutes

https://youtu.be/YW9lCZU9Se4

#notsoepic2020

(apparently videos don't embed here anymore )

NedwannaB
    Fun times. Sorry to have missed out. At least I got stickers and a pair of sox for my donation!👍😎
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Yesterday was supposed to be the 4th Annual Mother Lode Epic. Despite being cancelled due to covid, three friends and I decided to do MLE XL. It was great! Here's 7 hours and 45 minutes condensed down to 11 minutes

https://youtu.be/YW9lCZU9Se4

#notsoepic2020

(apparently videos don't embed here anymore )
    That was super cool! I wish Iíd seen you guys!

On Saturday, I did a similar ride but with a huge shortcut Compared to yours. I rode stages 1 and 2, then crossed the bridge and rode the east shore of the lake via Sweetwater and ended at Sophia parkway. Only 31 miles, but fun!

Next year!