The 2019 Wildfire season- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,739

    The 2019 Wildfire season

    It is looking pretty good. Better than previous years and it's almost September with the temps starting to lower.

    It doesn't hurt that there's the higher elevations are just starting to clear of snow and many creeks are still flowing well.

    There have been a few grass fires here in the Bay Area but really just look like healthy burns with low fuel and little wind.

    It's far from over of course. The key is the WIND or lack of.

    Thoughts?
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    559
    Yeah, not too sure about that analysis. Up here (Tahoe Basin) we're just entering the dangerous part of the year: when everything has had a chance to spend the whole summer drying out, and the winds are starting to pick up. Of course happy so far that it's been a quiet year, but there's still a lot of hot, dry, windy days to go

  3. #3
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,826
    September and October are Indian summer. You’re not out of the clear yet by any means.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PurpleMtnSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,112
    Ya unfortunately I think there will be plenty of new fuel before we get more rain in socal. Remember the Thomas Fire started in December and lasted a month. I was evacuated for much of that. Those same hills were incredibly green and lush this summer, but have recently all turned brown and have dried out. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

    It's been a rough summer for trail riding actually. All the rain in fire swept areas caused a ton of erosion then like a boom every trail became so overgrown almost overnight. Many formerly great trails are unrideable now.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    131
    This next week will be dicey as the remnant of the tropical storm Ivo will be coming in. There is dry lightening in the forecast for much of northern California.
    With no rain for months and tons of dry vegetation, I'm very worried. Praying for the best.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,351
    Yeah, we're not in the clear yet.

    I remember last year around November 1st thinking "Wow, fire season wasn't so bad this year, and we didn't get much smoke."

    Then the Camp Fire and the Woolsey Fire started. There is no end to fire season anymore.


    But there is some hopeful news: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...n-in-20-years/
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  7. #7
    loopy counter
    Reputation: knobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    818
    In my neck of the woods, there has been heavy forestry activity to decrease the fuel supply. A forester told me that there was some grant expiring this year so work has been brisk. And it shows, there are huge slash piles. The usfs took the challenge by spraying roundup on square miles to abate bear clover, which I find worrying for anyone who consumes venison.

    This effects us mtbrs in a few ways. Access roads that were pleasant double track are like moondust, heavy equipment tends to do that. And come winter there will be poor air quality from all those slash burns.

    But it can make pretty pictures:
    The 2019 Wildfire season-p1040312.jpg

  8. #8
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,739
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Ya unfortunately I think there will be plenty of new fuel before we get more rain in socal. Remember the Thomas Fire started in December and lasted a month. I was evacuated for much of that. Those same hills were incredibly green and lush this summer, but have recently all turned brown and have dried out. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

    It's been a rough summer for trail riding actually. All the rain in fire swept areas caused a ton of erosion then like a boom every trail became so overgrown almost overnight. Many formerly great trails are unrideable now.
    Overgrown and hundreds of trees down in most networks. Incredible really
    IPA will save America

  9. #9
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,739
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    This next week will be dicey as the remnant of the tropical storm Ivo will be coming in. There is dry lightening in the forecast for much of northern California.
    With no rain for months and tons of dry vegetation, I'm very worried. Praying for the best.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Wind and lightning. #menace
    IPA will save America

  10. #10
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,739
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    In my neck of the woods, there has been heavy forestry activity to decrease the fuel supply. A forester told me that there was some grant expiring this year so work has been brisk. And it shows, there are huge slash piles. The usfs took the challenge by spraying roundup on square miles to abate bear clover, which I find worrying for anyone who consumes venison.

    This effects us mtbrs in a few ways. Access roads that were pleasant double track are like moondust, heavy equipment tends to do that. And come winter there will be poor air quality from all those slash burns.

    But it can make pretty pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040312.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	1274777
    True true! More crews are the norm I see. And when they’re not in emergencies, they’re out doing huge maintenance jobs
    IPA will save America

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    559
    Could have been a disaster yesterday. Basically the backside of Northstar: https://www.facebook.com/LakeTahoeUS...09176065877273

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    131
    Red flag warning issued for Stanislaus national Forest.

    https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/lo...al-forest.html


    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    NRP
    NRP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    664
    Damn. Got a backpacking trip scheduled in the Pinecrest area (Emigrant Wilderness) in a couple of weeks.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,816
    Had a couple of these out in the Delta lately. Don't know if they're arson, or what.

    The Delta is very, very sick. 😣

    The 2019 Wildfire season-20190828_145311.jpg
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  15. #15
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,816
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Could have been a disaster yesterday. Basically the backside of Northstar: https://www.facebook.com/LakeTahoeUS...09176065877273
    Stupid, stupid people!!! 😠
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Overgrown and hundreds of trees down in most networks. Incredible really

    - I look at it as opportunity to reach out to local land managers and GIVE BACK via volunteer trail maintenance.

    THAT is what we all need to do more of if we want more access IMO.
    Go work on stuff that's NOT available to legally ride too, it shows we care and are willing to put in work while other user groups tend not to.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 100
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
  2. Wildfire?
    By FarNorth in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM
  3. PSA: Wildfire in Golden
    By Drop the Seat in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM
  4. Wildfire Website?
    By Steve Balogh in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM
  5. Its wildfire season again.......
    By mtbikerjohn2003 in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 07:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 114

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.