2019 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 Santa Cruz Bicycles Mother Lode Epic

The Mother Lode Epic is back for the 3rd edition with a new date on June 22nd. Moving up in the calendar by two months should provide perfect riding conditions in the morning and a wake-board worthy afternoon.

The race is a fully supported, 32 mile point-to-point route from Coloma to Folsom, broken up into 4 stages with a boat transfer across Folsom Lake between stages 3 and 4. Finish with pizza and a beer garden next to the lake. You can do this solo or as a two person team. Registration is currently open for at www.motherlodeepic.com, and if you don't get in before it sells out we need over 60 volunteers to make it happen and volunteers get all the schwag that racers do (and sometimes more).

Here's the mtbr write-up I did after last year's race. https://reviews.mtbr.com/mother-lode-epic-race-recap
    Husband - Dad - Bike Racer - Race Director

Clipped In Races

mtb'er
    In.

For those of you who don't consider yourself to be a "racer" but you are known to knock out 25-35 mile / 3,200' rides, think of this as very novel, well supported ride with great rest stops, on a very fun route that you will likely will never attempt due to logistics. Yeah you might pedal a little faster than on your normal rides, but that's cause lots of other people up to the challenge are pedaling right along with you.

Sign up... give yourself something to "train" for. Then enjoy, suffer, and celebrate all that is great about this one of a kind event!

And you might win a new bike!

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    In! I've been looking forward to it since I washed the dust/pain off from the last one.

mtbr member
    Want to.... either that or I'll volunteer again like last year.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Always so well executed
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    This event always looks tempting until I consider the fact that it's always seems to be 100*+ in that area all summer long. I wish I had better tolerance of higher temps.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    This event always looks tempting until I consider the fact that it's always seems to be 100*+ in that area all summer long. I wish I had better tolerance of higher temps.
    Well if MLE happened last June 22nd (2018), temps would have been in the 60's when we started, high 80's by about noon, and mid-90's around 2pm. Overall, pretty nice conditions... and most of the grueling climbs in the morning temps.

Keep in mind that at the end of stage 2, you can take a dip in the lake (Salmon Falls bridge). At the end of stage 3, you can take another dip in the lake (or wakeboard across the lake during the transfer), and at the end of stage 4 (the finish), you can jump in the lake again :-)

Nobody
    Unfortunately, my body just doesn't tolerate the heat very well. I'm often fighting throwing up even riding during hot days in Santa Cruz. I guess I'm just not built to live in the heat and I've been here in the Bay Area my whole life.

Funny thing is, even though we do have occasional heatwaves here, it really isn't that bad considering all the hotter places around the country.

I'm signed up for a Century ride at the end of September in Sonoma and praying that we have a moderate day.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

NedwannaB
    Doesnt get the same kinda heat down in the LG?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Well if MLE happened last June 22nd (2018), temps would have been in the 60's when we started, high 80's by about noon, and mid-90's around 2pm. Overall, pretty nice conditions... and most of the grueling climbs in the morning temps.

Keep in mind that at the end of stage 2, you can take a dip in the lake (Salmon Falls bridge). At the end of stage 3, you can take another dip in the lake (or wakeboard across the lake during the transfer), and at the end of stage 4 (the finish), you can jump in the lake again :-)
    How would you compare this to the FLEA? I groveled MLE last year but didnt follow through.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Except, there are maybe 5-10 days all year that actually get over 100. I had 3 at my house last year. It doesn't really get hot until noon and most days are the low- mid 90s all summer. It's not death valley....

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Last years MLE happened to be on one of those 100 degree days. Oddly enough, my Accu Weather shows June 22, 2018 was also a 100 degree day but the average high on that date is only 90.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    How would you compare this to the FLEA? I groveled MLE last year but didnt follow through.
    Same concept, but half the distance, swifter pace, all legal trails, actual rest stops with excellent fuel, lots more riders, big party at the finish :-) See you on June 22nd!

mtbr member
    Last year didn't they change the date because of smoke or maybe I was just out to town. I most likely will do it this year looks fun. Some has to come in last.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Last year didn't they change the date because of smoke or maybe I was just out to town. I most likely will do it this year looks fun. Some has to come in last.
    Actually no smoke on race day.....we got lucky with that, just not the heat

mtb'er

Only 50 days until MLE!

50 days from this moment, I will probably be getting close to hopping in a boat and heading for the final segment of the Mother Lode Epic

It isn't too late to build some fitness to complete this unique event either for fun or for competition.

143 signed up so far... way more Sport cats than Expert. See who is racing here: https://timeyourrace.com/mle/PreRegList.asp

If you are an out of towner, I have a couple spare bedrooms available for crashing at the night before... if dealing with a hotel, camping or getting up toooo early is keeping you from participating.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    This format looks awesome! I've only been biking for a few months, so I won't be ready this time, but I will be in 2020.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    This format looks awesome! I've only been biking for a few months, so I won't be ready this time, but I will be in 2020.
    Double check, but I think they've got relay/team options. Get a few buddies together, lower your cost, and party on!
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Double check, but I think they've got relay/team options. Get a few buddies together, lower your cost, and party on!
    Yep! Two person relay teams for male, female and coed. Each person races two stages, you figure out the order you want to do it. Easy option is half way at stage 2. Or, just ride a tandem the whole way lol.

Team participation has been low historically and almost guarantees a podium, which gets you a set of SC carbon bars in addition to a rad day...
    Husband - Dad - Bike Racer - Race Director

Clipped In Races

Hella Olde
    143 signed up so far... way more Sport cats than Expert. See who is racing here: https://timeyourrace.com/mle/PreRegList.asp
    Most sites are not listing registered rider lists anymore because burglars are mining the data to pick times for robbin'. That was what I was told when I asked why the site the SOC uses for reg no longer had the 'Who's registered' feature.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Most sites are not listing registered rider lists anymore because burglars are mining the data to pick times for robbin'. That was what I was told when I asked why the site the SOC uses for reg no longer had the 'Who's registered' feature.
    Lol! Maybe SOC should figure out how to keep all the bike thefts from happening each year at SOC! How someone would try to rob my house when I'm racing MLE based soley on my name -- and not knowing if anyone else will be home that morning -- is beyond me. But I suppose it would be plausible if it was a friend that was the burglar... which would make that person not a friend.

Up In Smoke
    Lol! Maybe SOC should figure out how to keep all the bike thefts from happening each year at SOC!
    Do you have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Do you have any suggestions?
    Yes.

Don't hijack. 😜
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Hella Olde
    Lol! Maybe SOC should figure out how to keep all the bike thefts from happening each year at SOC! How someone would try to rob my house when I'm racing MLE based soley on my name -- and not knowing if anyone else will be home that morning -- is beyond me. But I suppose it would be plausible if it was a friend that was the burglar... which would make that person not a friend.
    With your name, there is a trove of info about you online. Your address and family/marital status, other names living at the address, etc. Where you work - with a little social engineering, WHEN you work, etc. From an entry list they can probably compile a short list of potential candidates in the area they work and do some pre-race casing of your joint to select a lucrative target. Access to this data only costs the price of a race entry if it's open to registered racers like it used to be. It's a wonderful world. Caw Caw!

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Yes.

Don't hijack. 
    Thanks! I am actually interested in a spot in the Mother Lode, and I would prefer my bike not get jacked.

mtb'er
    Oh deer gawd. Thank goodness we have Strava.... and their privacy zones. How do you people ever leave your houses??

If you seriously think Jeff Frosty the Clown from SOC is concerned about your house being robbed while you are at SOC, I have a swamp in Louisiana I'd like to sell ya!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    With your name, there is a trove of info about you online. Your address and family/marital status, other names living at the address, etc. Where you work - with a little social engineering, WHEN you work, etc.
    I don't race much, but that's why when I do I register as either Jack Meoff or Hugh Jardon, try googling those names.