2019 Old Growth Classic Reports- Mtbr.com
    rj2
    mtbr member

2019 Old Growth Classic Reports

How was it for all of you in addition to kinda hot?

My time (5:28) was midpack or better in all the adult male age groups. So I Got That Goin' For Me, Which is Nice.

I beat my time goal by 32 minutes on my Niner Air9 RDO with rigid fork. 19.2 lbs with pedals and 2.25 Racing Ralphs.

Had to soft pedal almost five hours into the race to keep both hammies from cramping. Luckily things calmed down after a few minutes. Weird, walked the beginning of Middle Ridge, but none of Pine Mtn. These climbs are stupid steep.

Always fun camping with Shredchic and Leopold Porkstacker.

Thanks to MBOSC and California State Parks for another great event.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2709368249
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Faster this year on a singlespeed than last year on a geared bike. Was destined to have snagged second place were it not for the flat at roughly mile 9; lost lots of time fumbling with busted valve stem and tire plug (couldnít remove pump from tire valve) so limped to aid station where Lars from THC installed an innertube. Half an hour after the puncture I was finally on my way Ė puked my way (literally VOMITED four times) to snag third place; Iíll take it. 4:34 moving time, 5:03 total race time. Entertaining flyby showing the pace I had to regain in order to get third place:

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2709308926
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 09-16-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    anyone know who the photographer was on course who was on a motorcycle?

he took photos on the ridge with the gnarly gravel downhill as well as near the end.....

..I did the course for the first time and finished. thatís all iíll say. was a lot of fun!
    don't believe everything you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal View Post
    anyone know who the photographer was on course who was on a motorcycle?

he took photos on the ridge with the gnarly gravel downhill as well as near the end.....

..I did the course for the first time and finished. thatís all iíll say. was a lot of fun!
    Not sure if Jeff was on a motorcycle but he was up on the ridge...

https://jeffvsphoto.smugmug.com/2019...-Classic-2019/

As for my day, I had an epic all day "battle" with another rider. I'd drop him anytime we went up and then he'd come flying by me on the downhill. This went on for damn near the entire day... super cool dude and we laughed about it afterwards!

He was on a HT 29er w/front suspension and I was on an Ibis Hakka MX... we sprinted to the line in 4:13 and some change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The Ride: I love riding in the redwoods and the weather never got too hot even when exposed on the climbs. The DH pea gravel bits on my 35c tires were a little hair raising and by the end, I was ready to be done climbing the stupid steep stuff (not even sure if it was that steep at the end or if all the other stuff had taken its toll). I had no expectation of results but feel good about how things ended up, especially considering how fast NorCal is in general.

Non-Riding: Met lots of nice people both on and off the bike. Sleeping (ok, I hardly slept) under the trees and stars was fantastic. The food and drink was on point and the shower felt so good even if the line for it was a bit (ok, more than a bit) long. After party... that was an after party! Really, the organization of this event was so polished and well executed, it was amazing.

The Overall Experience: I'm ready to sign up again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had a blast on and off the bike. It was a super rewarding event and I'm looking forward to OGC 2020.

I like mtn biking, too
    It's a hard course! Unrelenting steep after steep, and the competition in the women's 40-49 field was faster than any other women's amateur category! My 5:26 time was the best I could do without blowing myself up and puking everywhere, like Porkstacker. It was only good enough for 7th in that category. I came away inspired, and also feeling a lot of camaraderie with everyone I knew and didn't know, having suffered and had lots of fun together. The after-party was awesome. Good vibes all around. The volunteers and staff of MBOSC really knocked it out of the park with this one! I don't know many races that are so well put together. Probably none of them, other than stage races where you pay thousands.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Weíre just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian