middle ring single track

2019 NorCal Mushroom thread

A. muscaria at Henry W Coe SP today:

2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-wp_20190110_001.jpg

2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-wp_20190110_002.jpg
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Saw these in Stevens Canyon the other day. When I went back two weeks later, there was like 5 times as many in that spot.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    From forest to my belly

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

middle ring single track
    ^ Damn!

Moderator Moderator
    Probably going to see a lot of mushrooms tomorrow. Let's see some pics!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    From forest to my belly
    Truly damp forest to table.

I heard that like a reservoir, the ground has to get fully saturated. Then the next rounds of rain can deliver the bounty
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Saw these in Stevens Canyon the other day. When I went back two weeks later, there was like 5 times as many in that spot.
    Death caps? Always found under Oak trees. I wouldn't recommend messing with those.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not a death cap. Probably not even amanita. They don't have the veil remnants attached like that. Still, I would concur that if you cannot positively identify it, then definitely don't eat it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    A. muscaria at Henry W Coe SP today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20190110_001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	1232902

Name:	WP_20190110_002.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	1232903
    Also known by the scientific name, the Super Mario Bros mushrooms.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Also known by the scientific name, the Super Mario Bros mushrooms.
    Hallucinogenic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Hallucinogenic?
    Pretty sure they are.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Pretty sure they are.
    Amanita muscaria is considered hallucinogenic; a late friend of mine tried them and said the high was not worth the nausea that went with it. Almost all the Amanitas are toxic; Amanita phalloides being the well-known "Death Cap".

Amanita calyptroderma is the only one in this neck of the woods that I know folks have eaten. (Me included when young and brave)

As a side note to A. muscaria there's a folk tale that Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer got his name from an alleged Finnish practice of feeding reindeer A. muscaria and then drinking the urine to get high. The deer would metabolize the toxins and let the concentrated hallucinogens pass through. Santa's red suit figures into this somehow too.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Went for a quick hike with my wife last night and scored dinner while we were out there.

Stir fried oysters again. These have become one of my favorite dinners. So good!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    It should be amazing by next weekend right?

Wish I knew the game. But like surfing and wing suit jumping, there is a steeeeeep learning curve. It's not kind to be beginners so having a mentor is key.

Keith Bontrager is local and is a great mushroom hunter. I say that and cooking are his great passions. I once offered him a Pliny at the trail and told him to meet me at the beach. He showed up with two Westvleterens and some mushrooms.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde

Shroomin at Fort Ord yesterday

The weather was awesome and the trails were drained. Looks more like Spring than Winter out there.

2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-m2.jpg
    2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-m1.jpg
    2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-m3.jpg
    2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-m4.jpg

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    While on a dog feces foray in my yard yesterday I found a ton of mushrooms including some suillius which I had never seen around my place before. I don't have ID's for most but there was the bolete, omphalatus, lactarius, clitocybe and a bunch of others I want to go try to key out when I get some free time. Too lazy to try to add the pics here but it sure made picking up dog shit more fun that usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-49390116_10217884118316613_7531947008689438720_n.jpg  

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    The weather was awesome and the trails were drained. Looks more like Spring than Winter out there.

Name:	m2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	1233471

Name:	m1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	528.7 KB 
ID:	1233472

Name:	m3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	498.9 KB 
ID:	1233473

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	1233474
    Omphalatus, Amanita muscaria, very likely Amanita Phalloides, empty .308?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Omphalatus, Amanita muscaria, very likely Amanita Phalloides, empty .308?
    Wow, you ID'd everything but the tire!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    It should be amazing by next weekend right?

Wish I knew the game. But like surfing and wing suit jumping, there is a steeeeeep learning curve. It's not kind to be beginners so having a mentor is key.

Keith Bontrager is local and is a great mushroom hunter. I say that and cooking are his great passions. I once offered him a Pliny at the trail and told him to meet me at the beach. He showed up with two Westvleterens and some mushrooms.
    It's not too hard if you do what I do. There are about 5 species that are truly delicious and easy to ID. I just pick those and skip the rest.

My easy and delicious list:
    1) chantrelle
    2) yellow-foot chantrelle
    3) black trumpet
    4) hedge hog
    5) porcini

Go with someone that really knows what they're doing and once you see them in the field and know what to look for it's not hard at all.

There is a terrific lady in Fort Bragg that actually does guided hunting trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post

As a side note to A. muscaria there's a folk tale that Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer got his name from an alleged Finnish practice of feeding reindeer A. muscaria and then drinking the urine to get high. The deer would metabolize the toxins and let the concentrated hallucinogens pass through. Santa's red suit figures into this somehow too.
    Squirrels eat them on the regular. They'll nibble a couple bites when they're still buttons before they release from their veils and turn red. I've even found them nibbled on in their nests. Curious if they're getting high or why they eat them. Seems interesting they only nibble it and at a specific stage in the cycle. My guess is they're getting some beneficial compound out of them.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nobody
    I live in the SC mountains and see 3-4 different types mushrooms on my property from time to time. I'll have to keep an eye out now and photograph them for the experts on here. I never expressed any interest before because just assumed they would all be poisonous. Looking forward to the next batches that show up.

I always see loads in Sam McDonald Park during my Hiker's Hut hikes. I'll start taking pics of those, as well
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Hella Olde
    Beware the Mushroom, as they are the fruit of our malevolent underground overlords who are neither plant nor animal.

"The largest living thing on Earth is a fungus

Last but far from least, fungi also outcompete other living things in terms of their epic proportions. A single individual fungus in Oregon spans 3.7 square miles, and is between 1,900 and 8,650 years old. This truly humongous fungus grew undetected until the 21st century, however."

Nobody
    A single individual fungus in Oregon spans 3.7 square miles, and is between 1,900 and 8,650 years old. This truly humongous fungus grew undetected until the 21st century, however."
    That's gonna take a lot of butter and garlic, plus a big ass pan to saute that down.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    That's gonna take a lot of butter and garlic, plus a big ass pan to saute that down.
    oYou'll 'prolly need a chainsaw to cut serving sized portions, too. Assuming it's not toxic.
    Which prompts me to ask; how easy is it to distinguish true, edible Morrels from False Morrels?

mtbr member
    Morels are the easiest to identify that I can think of. False morels are really easy to tell apart imo. Morels are awesome,. Flavoriffic.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Beware the Mushroom, as they are the fruit of our malevolent underground overlords who are neither plant nor animal.

"The largest living thing on Earth is a fungus

Last but far from least, fungi also outcompete other living things in terms of their epic proportions. A single individual fungus in Oregon spans 3.7 square miles, and is between 1,900 and 8,650 years old. This truly humongous fungus grew undetected until the 21st century, however."
    Haha, I volunteer with a non-profit that puts on a "science pub" at a local brewery every month, this month's topic was Mushroom Cultivation. I run a quiz for prizes at the beginning of the presentation and this was in one of my questions. There are several "giant" Honey Mushroom fungi, but the "Humongous Fungus" in Oregon is the biggest, I referred to the others by their scientific name and the Humongous Fungus by that name, it's location and size. Lots of people missed the question because they didn't think it was actually called that. Fascinating stuff, they are cultivating edible ones that eat plastic, there are ones that will eat diesel fuel and other hydrocarbons. There are even carnivorous ones that eat worms.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Haha, I volunteer with a non-profit that puts on a "science pub" at a local brewery every month, this month's topic was Mushroom Cultivation. I run a quiz for prizes at the beginning of the presentation and this was in one of my questions. There are several "giant" Honey Mushroom fungi, but the "Humongous Fungus" in Oregon is the biggest, I referred to the others by their scientific name and the Humongous Fungus by that name, it's location and size. Lots of people missed the question because they didn't think it was actually called that. Fascinating stuff, they are cultivating edible ones that eat plastic, there are ones that will eat diesel fuel and other hydrocarbons. There are even carnivorous ones that eat worms.
    Even Fungus that eat fungus. Found this, what I think to be Hypomyces chrysospermus on top of a Suillellus amygdalinus last weekend.2019 NorCal Mushroom thread-50595971_10217884121036681_4814942090125377536_n.jpg
    The top would normally be a nice woody red but the hypomyces (grey/white) is consuming it.
    Last edited by Whitewater; 4 Days Ago at 07:46 AM. Reason: formatting

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The easiest mushrooms to ID in our area and have no harmful look-alikes are Lion's Mane and Bear's head. They may very well be the tastiest to boot.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes