2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5

Who is worthy?

The Hard COEre 100 - home

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5-img_20190811_193951_1.jpg  

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Hmm… I might be into it this time around.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Not I.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Not I.
    It’s a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing; no need to ever do it again once you do it… memories of mental failure and physical pain.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    It’s a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing; no need to ever do it again once you do it… memories of mental failure and physical pain.
    Maybe it's a once in a lifetime thing because it kills you!

Up In Smoke
    Really tempting but considering I've spent the last 3 months preparing for 'cross season I'm just not sure I can handle 15/20 hours on the bike. Maybe next year, or maybe this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yeah, tell that to cragnshag. He leads the way with 4 x 100 miler completions and overall 5 year-in-a-row attendance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    You're killing me, Bob. TFPU; be well.

Oh...maybe!

mtbr member
    My brain represses traumatic and painful experiences. So every year it's like riding it for the 1st time!

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    My brain represses traumatic and painful experiences. So every year it's like riding it for the 1st time!
    So you have the route memorized? Just looking over the cue sheet of the route was a pretty traumatic experience....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5

No. Just say no......he says to himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Sounds like fun!!

mtbr member
    Intrigued! Maybe if I start training now I’ll be ready for 2020.

What’s the ideal bike for this sort of craziness?

190lbs of climber
    yeah... I think once was enough. But well worth doing once.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    brutal. I rode the Creampuff 100 years ago...100 miles / 14k elevation with all the descending on challenging, but fun, single track (three descents of the Alpine Trail)...but 20k of climbing (with Coe steepness and heat) sounds out of reach for me.

I like mtn biking, too
    It's only hot for a few hours during the day... the rest is morning or night time, and is mostly quite cool.

Think of it as a 24 hour race, but one giant loop instead of riding the same little loop over and over again.

See you guys again this year, hopefully.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Intrigued! Maybe if I start training now I’ll be ready for 2020.

What’s the ideal bike for this sort of craziness?

Ideally a bike that has smaller gearing for the steeps and at least front suspension. It's not techy, but the singletrack trails are very rough/primitive. You want to be comfortable.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    It's only hot for a few hours during the day... the rest is morning or night time, and is mostly quite cool.

Think of it as a 24 hour race, but one giant loop instead of riding the same little loop over and over again.

See you guys again this year, hopefully.
    oh, that makes it sound soooo much more palatable ;-)

mtbr member
    Once you've resigned yourself to the fact that you will suffer like nothing else, it's not so bad. For most people, the Hard Coe're 100 will be the toughest physical/mental challenge they have ever done on 2 wheels. Just to finish is to win.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Looking for the softcore version.
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Looking for the softcore version.
    2019 hardcoE 3 battery ride.....
    I'm the problem....

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    The metric route is almost doable with a single 700wh battery, say at 10-15% assist. But the Bear Mountain climb would be a real temptation to unleash the turbo, guaranteeing a empty battery way before the finish.

So I'd call it a comfortable 2 battery ride.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    The photographer's, SAG support edition. Maybe make a movie
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I think you would need 4 batteries for the 100. Likely you would need to be in turbo mode for the last 25 miles.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The photographer's, SAG support edition. Maybe make a movie
    That would be so fun! Even if you bail before the battery dies.
    ~Fairfaxian

More pie please
    Weather looks really good tomorrow. All the best to the riders.

I’m going to be out there on a causal ride, hopefully see some of you out on the trails

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    See you out there Charlie!

Bob

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    I’m going to be out there on a causal ride
    As promised, I didn't "enter", just rode around...

On the Rose Dam Trail I encounter Matt who is trying the 50 mile route. We ride together to Pacheco Camp where he decides to abandon. I wonder what I said?

From Matt's camera, me at Pacheco Camp:

Moments later Bike Patroller Phillip S. rolls in. He'd been out brushing Dog Trail, says it's totally clear now. Here he is swapping out battery for the ride back which will take him less than an hour!

At the Pacheco camp sink; some pebble writing for the Hard Coe're riders for when they past through later.

The official Henry W. Coe weather station (accept no substitutes) - a pleasant 73º.

The Wilson Field log book; an entry from another ride who abandoned.

Humidity felt low, I wonder if that adds to the cramping?

Henry Coe Riders sticker...cool!

Hmmmm...no amount of trail closures is gonna revive this tree!

What It Was Like Out There; Tule Pond Trail and Grizzly Gulch Trail.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2018 was a great year for HardCoere, 20 finishers out of 25, new routes, new record.

What happened this year? 9 DNFs out of 13 starters, cramps, no tubes, no maps, was the weather worse than forecasted? Da Bear grizzlier than usual?

(Easy to ask as a DNS - did not start) congrats to all that started, those who DNF sometimes deserve the higher praise, they went to their limits, the finishers stopped before theirs.

And the original objective, Everest Coe, still to be had. :-)
    Never limited by common sense...:nono:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Was waiting for some other results to come in but I think that is it for now. Web site updated with 2019 results: HardCOEre100 - results

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Bummed out I missed it yet again this time around. Only ever completed it my first time back in 2012. Someday…

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Bear is there awaiting, any day of the year it will devour you. No need to wait for next year...

Planning a start time to get there a bit after sunrise might ease the pain. 33% grade over 100F isn't fun.

middle ring single track
    The weather was very nice this year but as a trail maintainer at Coe I will say that the trails are a bit rougher this time around.

I'd like to blame this on the explosion of e-bike use at Coe but the reality is that the past 2 winters were pretty wet (normal?) after a half-dozen years of drought.

Some of this is visible in tread erosion but especially in brush growth; several trails/roads didn't get the usual attention as the trail crews in the new District aren't up to speed yet.

Several hundred hours of volunteer labor that would have been spent clearing brush were instead used pulling the invasive yellow star thistle which exploded this year due to the late rains.

We've been just keeping up with fallen trees; we're a bit late to get those on Middle Ridge Tr but they should be cleared this week.

Here's some fine fall colors on MRT from Friday:

2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5-img_3484rs.jpg
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    I was one of the "half Hard Coe" people that started and I am the A-hole who thought he didn't have a tube! I ripped my sidewall and then couldn't find my tube. I was offered a few tubes but was stressed if I ended up having a tube somebody else needed. I forgot to check the "swat box" on my Specialized Camber that sits under the water bottle. Tube and pump inside! I ended up riding 15 miles and then jogged back to the car for 4.5 miles. Make no mistake, I am a freaking moron! I also had a tube in the car that I didn't throw in my camelback. I am not too familiar with Coe so this was going to be extra cool for me to have experienced guides and do a nice 50 mile 10K feet day. I will go back and do it soon, before it gets too cold.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    The weather was very nice this year but as a trail maintainer at Coe I will say that the trails are a bit rougher this time around.

I'd like to blame this on the explosion of e-bike use at Coe but the reality is that the past 2 winters were pretty wet (normal?) after a half-dozen years of drought.

Some of this is visible in tread erosion but especially in brush growth; several trails/roads didn't get the usual attention as the trail crews in the new District aren't up to speed yet.

Several hundred hours of volunteer labor that would have been spent clearing brush were instead used pulling the invasive yellow star thistle which exploded this year due to the late rains.

We've been just keeping up with fallen trees; we're a bit late to get those on Middle Ridge Tr but they should be cleared this week.

Here's some fine fall colors on MRT from Friday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3484rs.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	1284749
    Still thanks for tending to the falling tree(s) by Kelly Lake. Much appreciated. Also, noticed White Tank (and Rose Dam to some degree) are a lot wider. Very nice.

I like mtn biking, too
    Hey MoPed!

I was thinking that the trails are kept in better shape than in past years. But yes, I could see the storm damage in places. Like, the Narrows - it seems that in the southern end the water level must have been really high as it wiped out the trail! I was hiking over the boulders in the creek bed. And Pacheco Creek trail was brushier and bumpier than I seem to remember. Thanks to you and all of the volunteers for keeping these beautiful remote places open!!
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Hey MoPed!

I was thinking that the trails are kept in better shape than in past years. But yes, I could see the storm damage in places. Like, the Narrows - it seems that in the southern end the water level must have been really high as it wiped out the trail! I was hiking over the boulders in the creek bed. And Pacheco Creek trail was brushier and bumpier than I seem to remember. Thanks to you and all of the volunteers for keeping these beautiful remote places open!!
    Great job out there completing the 100 miler course. And for a second time too. Still hoping I can do it one of these years!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    One last straggler here- DNF 100... more like a 72M 14Kft variant.

Hats of to all who attempted and made and to those I cross paths with, Matt, Shredchick and Bob at the end waiting for all to return safely and with a hot pot of Ramen!

My story....
    Early morning at HH was cold but brilliant. I launched a few minutes early because of the icebox down-canyon breeze. Temps quickly warmed with the sun and the altitude rising to become tee shirt friendly by Wilson from and it looked to be a great day ahead.

Ominously, I missed the Spike Jones turn off and ran into Matt further down- hello again Matt. Turned around and headed back up the hill where I caught a glimpse of Shredchick (hello again and congrats) who had properly made the turnoff and had already headed down the ST out of site. After catching up, we then rode along together until I again missed the steep HAB Coe non-trail Coit Springs Cross trail section. That was the last time I saw any riders.

There was plenty of water this time around as most springs had clear running water overflowing the clear troughs. Food however was another matter. I probably should have passed on the extra big pile of beans and hotdogs at Coe HC, but they sure tasted good at the time.

The weather remained temperate, except up the Bear. In fact, I might even say the weather was perfect throughout.

First sighting of Mississippi Lake is a mental and emotional milestone after staring straight ahead (not down) at the sand and stone wall of Bear Mountain. The lake appears out of nowhere and really is an oasis out along the moonscape of Chemise, Yerba Santos an occasional Oak statues.

I was really looking forward to getting to Pacheco Camp along Pacheco Creek since it is cool canyon and the early evening. And then tragedy struck...had a rear flat before Pacheco camp with longitudinal slice. My trusty large fat plugs would not seal it and since I did not want to risk cutting more of the threads, I pulled out my trusty spare tube that I keep sealed up in thick ziplock bag in my pack. That trusty tube was no longer trusty.
    Here is what approx 12 miles of fully flat HAB & slow coasting looks like on a fully flat tire. I think I will always stick with hooked tire beads, because I was actually able to ride even though it took about 5 hours to cover this ground. Hmm, cant seem to upload this image.

This image of my route somehow works to upload..see you next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5-hc1002019.jpg  

loopy counter
    I was out on a casual ride Saturday, also rode Rose Dam. I cooked one turn right into a Chamise bush. Bummer, what a flow buster. That would have not happened a few years back...
    2019 Hard COEre 100 - Saturday October 5-20071118_153500.jpg

Fire laughs at human's puny attempts to maintain trails.

(Also, I found a new looking water bottle on the top of White Tank. Figured it was probably dropped by a participant. Moved it to the trail marker at Hoover/White Tank. If you're missing a lime green bottle, you now know where to look.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    (Also, I found a new looking water bottle on the top of White Tank. Figured it was probably dropped by a participant. Moved it to the trail marker at Hoover/White Tank. If you're missing a lime green bottle, you now know where to look.)
    That's mine! Thanks for picking it up. I'll try to head over there this week.

I like mtn biking, too
    Hey @Tommybees ! I heard of your plight from Bob, who waited up even for my sorry butt at 3am. (Thank you Bob!!) I am so glad you made it out of there ok! Geez, terrifying to have such a big slash then having to walk out for 12 miles. A good reminder to us all that it's quite real out there, and the trails are super rough! I wish you success next year with a fresh tube (or two) and tire.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I am on bear mountain, doing a 100 miler that will be a DNF. Ran out of water on the way to HQ, now cramping with 500ft vertical to go.

Any suggestions on best path from here to HH will be appreciated. Minimizing grade and total climb.

Fail!

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    I am on bear mountain, doing a 100 miler that will be a DNF. Ran out of water on the way to HQ, now cramping with 500ft vertical to go.

Any suggestions on best path from here to HH will be appreciated. Minimizing grade and total climb.

Fail!
    Once you get to County Line Rd I'd probably stay on it until Coit Road which I'd stay on all the way back to the Coyote Creek Gate. Water at Mississippi Lake, Pacheco Camp, Coit Lake, Kelly Lake, Coit Horse Camp. Certainly more scenic to do some of the single track but if you're doing a self-rescue it might be best to stay on the roads especially after dark. If you need a "courtesy ride" out it'll be easier for the rangers to find you.

loopy counter

Fail!
    County line road to Coit road have the least grade. Although the least total climb is probably down bear and up Mahoney.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    County line road to Coit road have the least grade. Although the least total climb is probably down bear and up Mahoney.
    Great minds think alike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks! Once my mind got working a bit again, I realized I could generate a route on the phone, since I have internet up bear mtn.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31376...t5MCcjMAw2LodY

This looks good? Bear back (waste of 1000ft climb, but oh well) to mahoney, coit to car

middle ring single track
    Thanks! Once my mind got working a bit again, I realized I could generate a route on the phone, since I have internet up bear mtn.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31376...t5MCcjMAw2LodY

This looks good? Bear back (waste of 1000ft climb, but oh well) to mahoney, coit to car
    Yes that's good, there should be water at Lost Spring and again at Coit Horse Camp.

You should have data in places along Mahoney; let us know how you're doing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I got home safe, thanks for the remote help. I did have a printed map, but not too familiar with trails, so wouldn't know what is choked by bushes, what had what elevation deltas, etc. Ridewithgps came to rescue, and your suggestions were right on the money.

When I first crossed mahoney, going to shafer corral, I stopped and considered aborting right there, but some voice in my head convinced me not to quit. I felt a bit stupid quitting just the same, but after an extra 10mi and 1200ft, long bear push-a-bike, but at least it gave me cell reception and a good escape plan.

I am definitely not in the shape I was 2 years ago, but what I lacked in fitness I made up with ambition - I had extra food and water in the car, for the 40 mi 'singletrack special' right after finishing the 100, to everest coe. Yeah right...

Thanks again. Up to mid-bear, trails were great, very clean, one or two fallen trees only.

I started taking pics of all water troughs I saw, all trickling and full, some with more algae than others.