Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2018 riding stats

Show me those numbers. I wish I could keep track of mine better. The elevation gain is way off since I record lift access bike park days. But still way more miles/elevation than previous years. Also Iím not super diligent of recording every ride. Usually because I forget to charge my Garmin watch and donít like using my phone.

Also, if you want to share your feelings on how biking has made you a better person and opened your eyes to the power of Mother Nature.... I guess you can do that here too.

mtbr member
    2018 isn't over yet.... still more shredding to do!

mtbr member
    Well I know there are people out there who have goals to hit a certain mileage or elevation gain for the year. So now they have a final two weeks to cram in those extra miles.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post

Also, if you want to share your feelings on how biking has made you a better person and opened your eyes to the power of Mother Nature.... I guess you can do that here too.
    Cool thread.

But had to get a little rboardman in there
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Strava....where the data is always trivial.

mtbr member
    2018 riding stats-image-ios-5-.jpg
    I was somewhat hoping to get to 2k by the end of the year, but I don't think it'll be happening. Still stoked on a lot of riding this year and pumped to see if I can make further next year than this year, or at least have more fun! Lots of good times with friends make up those numbers. I did a 2-3 park days as well, so the 200k+ elevation figure is probably invalid, but that's a cool big round number to shoot for next year as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image from iOS (5).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1229993
    I was somewhat hoping to get to 2k by the end of the year, but I don't think it'll be happening. Still stoked on a lot of riding this year and pumped to see if I can make further next year than this year, or at least have more fun! Lots of good times with friends make up those numbers. I did a 2-3 park days as well, so the 200k+ elevation figure is probably invalid, but that's a cool big round number to shoot for next year as well.
    120 rides throughout the year is not bad.

mtbr member
    Yeah totally. With no kids and an understanding wife I'm able to get out pretty decent amount for sure. My goal is to get more motivated to wake up early do more mid week pre work rides, because I've been a bit of a weekend warrior this year. All thing considered, I still got a lot of riding in. 2k was a pretty arbitrary goal to begin with.

This year represented a lot of progressing in skill and difficulty in trails I've been trying to ride, and I'm pumped to keep it going. Not too worried about the mileage total, but still a fun thing to keep an eye on.

Dropshot Champ!
    Having a kid changes the game. 85% of this is from my door though, so that's cool.

Distance: 4,168.8 mi
    Time: 268h 21m
    Elev Gain: 192,444 ft
    Rides: 175

Out spokin'
    Nice work, fellas.

I'm not a Stravaddict but according to Mr. Garmin:
    Rides: 162
    Time: 329 hrs
    Distance: 2267 mi
    Gain: 273,423 ft

Last year my goal was to average 1,000'/day gain, I finished the year with 377,000'. Had zero interest in trying to repeat that goal this year.

At 65, I ride for fun -- that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2018 riding stats

My goal was 2K for the year. No park or shuttle days, but I do have to ride 1.5 miles to the trail so itís not all dirt.

I do have a family. My secret is slacking off my job and riding during the day.

Edit: just realized this is the NorCal forum. Iím leaving it up anyway because you guys have all the fun threads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    My goal was 2K for the year. No park or shuttle days, but I do have to ride 1.5 miles to the trail so itís not all dirt.

I do have a family. My secret is slacking off my job and riding during the day.

Edit: just realized this is the NorCal forum. Iím leaving it up anyway because you guys have all the fun threads.
    It doesnít matter. The majority of the stuff here isnít NorCal related anymore. Join the party.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As of yesterday:
    Distance 1,057.8 mi
    Time 150h 6m
    Elev Gain 126,411 ft
    Rides 102

My goal this year (and every prior) was 1K miles. Finally hit it this year.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    updated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BraapTastic; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Bikes are fun. See fc, I've been cranking. Not too bad, given was out of commission for a month and a half.

Name:  2018_stats.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  22.6 KB
    two hundy thirtyfive rides. Wow!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    2018 riding stats-screen-shot-2018-12-20-3.26.33-pm.jpg
    Not too bad for a fifty year old with a busy family... helps that I ride single track to and from work most days in the summer - short rides, but they add up.

SPECIALizED
    If I'm not working I'm riding.

Moderator Moderator

MTB Rides: 206 days
    MTB Trail Miles: 1,311.9
    MTB Trail Feet Climbed: 152,402
    # of new people introduced to MTB: 7
    # of rattlers seen on trail: 5
    # of times rattled at by pissed off snake: 1

MTB Rides: 161 days
    MTB Trail Miles: 885.6 mi
    MTB Trail Feet Climbed: 114,619 ft
    # of new people introduced to MTB: 11
    # of rattlers seen on trail: 8 (I think)
    # of times rattled at by pissed off snake: 0

I only clock time on single track-ish trails, not fire roads, commuting etc.

Didn't get as many days in this year, out of the country for awhile, vacations etc.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I only clock time on single track-ish trails, not fire roads, commuting etc.
    Me, too. Ya mean those other guys are cheating by including road, commmute, gravel, etc. miles? Sheesh.

This here is a mountain bike forum, peeps. Letís keep it thataway.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Trail Gnome
    I rode today, and a few other days this year. Iíve never really kept track of what, when, where, and how far I ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Me, too. Ya mean those other guys are cheating by including road, commmute, gravel, etc. miles? Sheesh.

This here is a mountain bike forum, peeps. Letís keep it thataway.
    =sParty
    I have friends (road bikers) who literally clock rides to restaurants that are a block away. I'm not kidding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Sparticus, I had a goal a few years ago and made it and now have no interest in any of that anymore. (I'm 60) The goal was a total of 1 million feet climbed for the year. I included road rides. Had to to make it. I barely got there 1,007,000. I didn't Strava most rides but Strava-ed about 8 rides and did those mostly and then Strava-ed the ones I didn't know already.

When done the list of parts I went thru was insane. I can't even count all the chains. LOL

I will never do that again. It consumed my mornings as I did it early usually getting up 6:30am but was usually done by 10am. And tired toward the end of the year.

4-5 days a week now w/ a beer in the pack and a shot of whiskey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    currently(with probably 4 more rides before Jan. 1):

153 rides
    2,267 mi
    502,000ft.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    currently(with probably 4 more rides before Jan. 1):

153 rides
    2,267 mi
    502,000ft.
    Your average ride is about 15 miles with about 3280 ft of climbing! Those are some serious stats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Your average ride is about 15 miles with about 3280 ft of climbing! Those are some serious stats.
    that's funny, because my prototypical ride is 4 laps at UC, and it's almost excatly that distance and elevation gain! call me mr. consistency!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    that's funny, because my prototypical ride is 4 laps at UC, and it's almost excatly that distance and elevation gain! call me mr. consistency!
    And you do this almost every other day! This is some serious recovery. You're a great athlete, serious genetics. Congrats!
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

2018 riding stats

good times

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Hey Sparticus, I had a goal a few years ago and made it and now have no interest in any of that anymore. (I'm 60) The goal was a total of 1 million feet climbed for the year. I included road rides. Had to to make it. I barely got there 1,007,000. I didn't Strava most rides but Strava-ed about 8 rides and did those mostly and then Strava-ed the ones I didn't know already.

When done the list of parts I went thru was insane. I can't even count all the chains. LOL

I will never do that again. It consumed my mornings as I did it early usually getting up 6:30am but was usually done by 10am. And tired toward the end of the year.

4-5 days a week now w/ a beer in the pack and a shot of whiskey.
    Wow! You da man! Seriously ó impressive.

Wish Iíd had a Garmin or employed Strava 15 years ago when I was a semi-regular fixture in the 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff race. The event itself ďonlyĒ includes around 17,000í gain, but the training rides ó ugh. In Ď02 my buddy and I ďenjoyedĒ many 10,000í & 12,000í days and even did a couple of training rides that equaled the gain of the event itself ó 17,000í (one was a 262 mile road ride). Anyway, 50,000í in three days alone plus the many other training rides... pretty sure I went over a million feet that year but alas, Iíll never know as the type of record keeping devices we enjoy these days didnít exist back then.

While the sport of mountain biking is fun no matter how we engage it, when it comes to individual performance I suppose weíll always measure ourselves against the best we ever were, eh. Glad I exploited the opportunity to see what I was capable of back in the days of my prime. Thatís a bus Iíd hate to have missed.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Rides all the bikes!
    My numbers are substantial.

But more importantly is that you enjoy it. If you are enjoying it, the numbers don't matter. And if you are not, then you should cut those aspects out. If you like to shuttle, great. If you don't, great too. If you like road and dirt, nothing wrong with that.

I am lucky in that I seem to like all the riding. Road, adventure, XC, enduro, even riding the lift at the bike park (my elevation stats don't include lift, all legit). My commute home yesterday included my interval workout on a paved bike path, then joining my friends for a short social MTB ride (on my gravel bike with 38mm's!), then to a restaurant where we planned our next trip and caught up with each other, then I rode home. Great evening to be on the bike (5 hours total)!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    My numbers are substantial.

But more importantly is that you enjoy it. If you are enjoying it, the numbers don't matter. And if you are not, then you should cut those aspects out. If you like to shuttle, great. If you don't, great too. If you like road and dirt, nothing wrong with that.

I am lucky in that I seem to like all the riding. Road, adventure, XC, enduro, even riding the lift at the bike park (my elevation stats don't include lift, all legit). My commute home yesterday included my interval workout on a paved bike path, then joining my friends for a short social MTB ride (on my gravel bike with 38mm's!), then to a restaurant where we planned our next trip and caught up with each other, then I rode home. Great evening to be on the bike (5 hours total)!
    Well said!!!!

Biking has so many different facets that it's cool to explore all the different branches. My problem is I get too focused one part that I obsess on it. Cause you know, gotta build up a purpose-built bike for it. I singlespeeded almost exclusively for 3 years. Then I roadbiked only for two.

My favorite ride is usually the last ride I did. #shortmemory
    IPA will save America

fc
    Is there a stat for the number of jumps taken? Or number of high fives? Cause I may have a record year.

My key stat now is number of days ridden! The reason is miles and altitude are very distracting. If you pursue them with vigor, it will influence you to ride road and fire road and sacrifice mountain biking quality. Road and fire road are about 2x more efficient (statistics wise) in miles and altitude than good singletrack.

I got in about 180 rides this year. More in the latter half of they year too!! 2 kids and a bit of travel.
    Last edited by fc; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Road and fire road are about 2x more efficient in miles and altitude than good singletrack.

This is interesting FC. Yes that's usually the case but singletrack climbing that's a bit tech is harder than a road or fire road. I have a local loop on singletrack that's about 2800 feet climbing and around 18 miles total and my legs are shot more than a fire road loop I do that about 4200 feet climb and 22 miles approx.

mtbr member
    Ill play, so far in 2018
    159 rides
    218 hours
    1734 miles (was aiming for 2000)
    elevation 279,058

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Road and fire road are about 2x more efficient in miles and altitude than good singletrack.

This is interesting FC. Yes that's usually the case but singletrack climbing that's a bit tech is harder than a road or fire road. I have a local loop on singletrack that's about 2800 feet climbing and around 18 miles total and my legs are shot more than a fire road loop I do that about 4200 feet climb and 22 miles approx.
    Correct. Results, may vary but as far as climbing stats are concerned, tech singletrack is much harder than fire road or road. Same effort but but the narrow, tech climbs show half the stats of smooth fire road or road.

So some may be influenced to opt for the smooth stuff to look good in the stats.

Classic example is Sedona or Rockville. Solid 3 hour effort... 1500 foot climb, 8 miles.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

So some may be influenced to opt for the smooth stuff to look good in the stats.
    What gets measured gets managed. Be careful what you measure.

fc
    What gets measured gets managed. Be careful what you measure.
    succinctly put

Don't let the stats run you.

On my first couple years of riding (only Mission Peak) buds and I bought cyclocomputers. We then realized that we were hitting 40 mph on the last straightaway downhill to Chabot College. Then came the pursuit to 50mph. Every time, it was on! Schit bikes, (basically road bikes) with crap forks and brakes. We hit it and tried to do it each time until the realization that the pursuit was stupid and very, very dangerous on the 21 lb. Manitou hardtail.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Is there a stat for the number of jumps taken? Or number of high fives? Cause I may have a record year.

My key stat now is number of days ridden! The reason is miles and altitude are very distracting. If you pursue them with vigor, it will influence you to ride road and fire road and sacrifice mountain biking quality. Road and fire road are about 2x more efficient (statistics wise) in miles and altitude than good singletrack.

I got in about 180 rides this year. More in the latter half of they year too!! 2 kids and a bit of travel.
    The shockwiz actually keeps track of the amount of jumps you do on a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Stats?

I wore out 3 physical terrorists this year. But #4 is a keeper. Unofficially the slowest-healing human on 2 wheels? Maybe.

But healed enough for a few firsts:
    Georgetown (on Mtbs)
    Northstar
    Mt. Hough
    Took my 75yo riding buddy to Demo, UCSC, & Downieville for his 1st time.

I'll try to remember to count bike-riding days next year. ;-)

Catfish ...

fc
    Whatís #4?

Havenít seen you out there bud!!
    IPA will save America

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Good year on the new Canfield Brothers Riot

2018 riding stats-img_3452.jpg
    I tried to keep road riding down to 1 or 2 rides per month, and concentrate more on dirt. I like the dirt rides! I want to thank Squashyo, who I have never met, for motivating me by posting his stats a few years ago. 2019 I plan to ride about 200 days again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 riding stats-img_3451.jpg  

Last edited by hoolie; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

2018 riding stats

Been a decent year considering I didnít really ride the first 6 weeks of the year. Really just needed a break to find my stoke again. Mostly found that again, though the lack of true adventure began creeping back in as the year ended.

Luckily Iím on my way to Arizona for a 500 mile bikepacking trip, looking forward to long days in my own head.

Rode a lot of flatter rides due to dating a gal who doesnít like to climb as much as I do. Made for a different but fun year.

Hereís to all of you enjoying the coming year.

2018 riding stats-img_0295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    everybody get your stats in before I call MrCrash to post. 7 figures on climbing feet usually on that kook.
    IPA will save America

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I dl'd strava and will start tracking 2019 rides.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    No recorded shuttles or lift. A couple of short commuting road rides, 99.5% mtb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Formerly of Kent

2018 riding stats

341 rides, 600+ hours. Donít track miles.

Most rides ~3000ft climbing/descending.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hereís mine. I was hoping for 500k of climbing but life has different ideas.

Last 4 Weeks
    Avg Rides / Week 4
    Avg Distance / Week 33 mi
    Avg Time / Week 4h 4m
    Distance 3,007.6 mi
    Time 234h 35m
    Elev Gain 330,597 ft
    Rides 160

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Whatís #4?

Havenít seen you out there bud!!
    4th physical terrorist. She's been making me whimper for last 3 months. And got me back on a bike again.

I do NOT recommend a broken humerus in between 2 knee surgeries. D'OH!!!

Seeya in January! :-)

Catfish ...

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    341 rides, 600+ hours. Donít track miles.

Most rides ~3000ft climbing/descending.
    Well done!

341 rides X 3000' average gain = over a million feet of elevation. Whew!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Well done!

341 rides X 3000' average gain = over a million feet of elevation. Whew!
    =sParty
    I'm curious will you do that again?

Rides all the bikes!
    everybody get your stats in before I call MrCrash to post. 7 figures on climbing feet usually on that kook.
    I didn't have an elevation goal in 2018 (maybe 2020). But I broke my goal of 20 hours a week

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Hours per week is a good goal. I might do that next year (next week). I like that alot. I was thinking rides per week, but I like hours per week better. As usual in Norcal, Jan/Feb is going to be some extra roadie action, but mostly dirt after mid March.

mtbr member
    Hahaha, always laugh at my pathetic Strava stats compared to most folks. Riding is my job, I love it, but I don't do it as much as most people think.

2018 riding stats-screen-shot-2018-12-22-9.58.08-pm.png

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKXC View Post
    Hahaha, always laugh at my pathetic Strava stats compared to most folks. Riding is my job, I love it, but I don't do it as much as most people think.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 9.58.08 PM.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1230319
    That's why I don't have an interest in recording my rides. I don't mind handing my footage to my friend to let him edit it in with his video, but I have a rough idea of how many hours he spends editing his videos, and they aren't even highly produced videos, and more importantly, he doesn't deal with a gimble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post

Name:	Image from iOS (5).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1229993
    Well done, sir! Good meeting you today and getting a lap in.

-Jasen (grey Bronson)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    99 rides
    1,887 miles
    292,266 vert

Hoping to obtain 2K and 300K by end of year

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Is anyone allowed to play? or just Cali?

I will miss my target this year , l blame my new mtb, because it stopped me riding the roadie (and therefore longer rides), plus straight after xmas lm off to Korea for work, so there is another week of rides lost.

always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    2018 riding stats-27f85e8b-278a-4d3f-8903-0c1789e886ea.jpg

I started using Strava mid August.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Is anyone allowed to play? or just Cali?

I will miss my target this year , l blame my new mtb, because it stopped me riding the roadie (and therefore longer rides), plus straight after xmas lm off to Korea for work, so there is another week of rides lost.

Freakin anyone. As long as you promise to ride with us sometime
    IPA will save America

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Hours per week is a good goal. I might do that next year (next week). I like that alot. I was thinking rides per week, but I like hours per week better. As usual in Norcal, Jan/Feb is going to be some extra roadie action, but mostly dirt after mid March.
    Agreed ó hrs/wk works well. I used to use hours per week as my goal back when I was training for endurance races; found that 20 hrs/wk was close to optimum for me. YMMV.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Biggest year ever on the bike for me and also the most fun I've ever had riding. Didn't chase any specific stats but did get pretty into bike racing and that got me out there a lot.

2 kids under 5 and a super hectic job. I think I slept past 6am about once a week this year . Something had to give to fit it all in! More coffee!

Distance 5,431.6 mi
    Time 441h 28m
    Elev Gain 510,397 ft
    Rides 286

Let's keep rolling in 2019!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Yeah dude! Great meeting you out there, always fun to make new connections, and then even cooler when finding each other on the forums as well. Thanks for letting me tag along and get outside my comfort zone. Hope you have a great holiday.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Biggest year ever on the bike for me and also the most fun I've ever had riding. Didn't chase any specific stats but did get pretty into bike racing and that got me out there a lot.

2 kids under 5 and a super hectic job. I think I slept past 6am about once a week this year . Something had to give to fit it all in! More coffee!

Distance 5,431.6 mi
    Time 441h 28m
    Elev Gain 510,397 ft
    Rides 286

Let's keep rolling in 2019!
    286 #dahell?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sitting on 873K, 900K probably doable since Santa Barbara is in the plan.
    Romani ite domum

(slight return)
    Stats not that impressive this year - under 1500 miles and just under 200k climbing. But most of the riding was good quality dirt. And I got a lot more hiking and off roading in, traveled to some cool new places and had my best year of skiing in a decade so it's all good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    And judging from Strava a bunch of those miles were shredding single track with your daughter! Pretty rad.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Ride, Race, Live
    My Turn, my turn.
    I'll admit I'm a little disappointed. I thought my numbers would be higher. I know I missed a ride or 2, but I would have guessed I did more rides. Total elevation doesn't suck, but still. I did get to travel with my bike a little this year which is why I invested in an Evoc pro bike bag, but I only flew once.
    2019 I want to ride more often, further, higher, and travel more.
    Doesn't everyone?
    2018 riding stats-rides-2018.jpg

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    2200 ish miles for me, to hazard a guess. A hand full of rides don't get recorded earlier in the year. I was super lazy and didn't ride much the first half of the year.

Mostly flat cx/gravel and commutes in the Sactown area, with some Granite Bay here and there and some all-thrill-no-fill rides in Tahoe.

Most miles in a day was 65 on CX bike.
    Biggest day was a 27 mile/ 5300 ft Tahoe ride, followed by 30 miles on Sac on the CX bike with beer. That was a long day.

My year ended a couple weeks early with a crash and busted clavicle at a Sac CX race a few weeks ago. Oops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

fc
    Something kind of cool is my trainer set up is so good that a 1 hour, 2000 foot climb effort really feels like a Kennedy ride. The effort is very comparable.

And it uploads to Strava. Good for keeping track.

The stoke though is low and the suck factor is higher. But in the cold darkness, I'm indoors watching netflix and pedaling. I'll try to do it a bunch more as I'm getting the Wahoo incline device and smart fan.
    IPA will save America

3rd Coolest
    Rides 12
    Distance 109
    Elevation 12,283

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    And judging from Strava a bunch of those miles were shredding single track with your daughter! Pretty rad.
    Haha yeah, super fun getting out there with her, she's been ticking some Marin classics and we've got a hit list for 2019! Thanks man, won't be too much longer before your doing the same!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wonder what the trail work time was....I find the people who ride the most usually give back the least. Strava needs a data tool for that!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Goal was to do 3,000 miles but broke my leg skiing in January, which set me back a bit.
    Rides: 105
    Time: 222hrs, 48min
    Distance: 2574
    Elev: 148,107

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    I wonder what the trail work time was....I find the people who ride the most usually give back the least. Strava needs a data tool for that!!!!
    Youíd be surprised at how many miles local trail builders/advocates put in. I donít know about most of the folks above, but a lot of people Iíve known that have influenced local trail advocacy also ride a ton. It may not be what you ride, at your level, but riding is riding.

Iíve put my 1000 lifetime hours in. I get a pass for another year or so. Looking forward to moving dirt again.

It would be nice to keep track of that somehow in a public forum. No glory in it though so it will never happen.

Legal or illegal, builders should get some credit.

mtbr member
    If trails you like riding donít exist, build them yourself.

Moderator Moderator

2018 riding stats

Good place to start learning trail building.

Trail Academy ‚Äď Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by seanallan View Post
    Youíd be surprised at how many miles local trail builders/advocates put in. I donít know about most of the folks above, but a lot of people Iíve known that have influenced local trail advocacy also ride a ton. It may not be what you ride, at your level, but riding is riding.

Iíve put my 1000 lifetime hours in. I get a pass for another year or so. Looking forward to moving dirt again.

It would be nice to keep track of that somehow in a public forum. No glory in it though so it will never happen.

Legal or illegal, builders should get some credit.

I guess I came across wrong. Next to elevation and miles should be hours spent on trail maintenance, building, etc... Every bit as important. And while some guys do both, my personal experience is that most don't..

Oh and I was 2486 miles 350,000 ft. Low for me, but lots of fun times and a few great trails added to the rotation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I guess I came across wrong. Next to elevation and miles should be hours spent on trail maintenance, building, etc... Every bit as important. And while some guys do both, my personal experience is that most don't..

Oh and I was 2486 miles 350,000 ft. Low for me, but lots of fun times and a few great trails added to the rotation.
    I got youíre point exactly. Didnít come across the least bit wrong. Good on you for bringing up a point that no one else will.

Out spokin'
    Disciples Of Dirt MBC (Oregon) tracks individual trailwork hours and awards top performers each year at its annual Holiday Party. I got 102 hours last year, 55ish hours the year before. Willamette Mountain Mercantile (the Oakridge bike shop) gives a free pair of Carhart or Key pants to every trailworker that contributes at least 30 hours of trailwork each calendar year.

I gotta head to Oakridge to pick up another new pair of pants...
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Formerly dvo
    It has been a hell of a year.

2018 riding stats-screen-shot-2018-12-30-3.56.04-pm.png

So happy to live adjacent to Fremont Older, 79 of the 225 rides took place there this year. Grateful for my good friends to share the rides with. Looking forward to more next year.
    I'm the problem....

fc
    I'm starting to see them Strava wrap-up videos!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2018 for me was more about quality/variety than quantity. I still managed to get in 82 rides for 890 miles and 126,000 feet of elevation. Not too bad considering I was out of commission due to injuries and illness for ~10 weeks at different times during the year.

As for quality and variety, I was finally able to ride some awesome destinations outside of California for the first time. Some of the highlights:
    *Nevada - Bootleg Canyon
    *Arizona - Sedona
    *Utah - Moab
    *Washington - Bellingham, Olympia and Seattle vicinity
    *British Columbia - Whistler and Squamish
    *Montana - Helena area
    *Wyoming - Jackson Hole area
    *Colorado - Front Range, Aspen, Salida and Crested Butte

On top of all that, I spent two weekends riding in Downieville and a weekend in South Lake Tahoe. Despite a lot of setbacks, it was an amazing year of riding.

For 2019 my goal is to ride in Oregon in the Spring (before the heat and fire season starts) and possibly a trip out to Southwest Colorado/Moab in the Fall.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by climbanymtn View Post
    2018 for me was more about quality/variety than quantity. I still managed to get in 82 rides for 890 miles and 126,000 feet of elevation. Not too bad considering I was out of commission due to injuries and illness for ~10 weeks at different times during the year.
    Yo! Back in town? That's quite a trip.

mtbr member
    I'm so happy with my results this year as I blew all of my goals out of the water.

2355 miles
    137,783'
    129 rides
    lost 24 lbs.

Gained a weeknight riding buddy and lost him due to the birth of his chlld LOL.
    So I ride solo most times once again.

Really solid year for me. I rode every week this last year (which meant, no major injuries) and almost averaged 50 miles per week. These were all MTB miles with the exception of about 100 miles on a trainer and 50 on the road bike. I had an amazing time riding all over the place. My skill level skyrocketed and I found myself easily riding trails/obstacles that used to give me troubles. Most importantly I made a lot of new friends and did more trail work than I have ever done in a single year.

slow
    Checking in from the Colorado Front Range after my last ride of the year this morning. I managed to squeeze in some riding around work, family, and several weeks of non-biking vacations. All mileage was on my mountain bikes, but 35% of that mileage was on pavement to and from trails and between trails.

Name:  2018StravaStats.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  9.6 KB

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Checking in from the Colorado Front Range after my last ride of the year this morning. I managed to squeeze in some riding around work, family, and several weeks of non-biking vacations. All mileage was on my mountain bikes, but 35% of that mileage was on pavement to and from trails and between trails.

Name:  2018StravaStats.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  9.6 KB
    I would say your elevation is x 1.3 factor since you're in elevation. Right on buddy!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I'm so happy with my results this year as I blew all of my goals out of the water.

2355 miles
    137,783'
    129 rides
    lost 24 lbs.

Really solid year for me. I rode every week this last year (which meant, no major injuries) and almost averaged 50 miles per week. These were all MTB miles with the exception of about 100 miles on a trainer and 50 on the road bike. I had an amazing time riding all over the place. My skill level skyrocketed and I found myself easily riding trails/obstacles that used to give me troubles. Most importantly I made a lot of new friends and did more trail work than I have ever done in a single year.
    Cool!

fc

2355 miles
    137,783'
    129 rides
    lost 24 lbs.

Lost 24 lbs.

Now that is a worthy stat folks should be mentioning.

Maybe some cholesterol and blood pressure numbers too. We are participating in the fountain of youth sport.
    IPA will save America

slow
    I would say your elevation is x 1.3 factor since you're in elevation. Right on buddy!!
    Thanks fc. I like your math!

mtb'er

2355 miles
    137,783'
    129 rides
    lost 24 lbs.

Solid year, Chris! Thanks for all your help on trails too! Now we just need to ride together :-)

mtbr member
    This was the year that I rode the most ever. I haven't been riding very long so thats not saying much I guess.
    I was pumped to get over 250k of climbing!
    I'm just stoked to be able to ride as much as I do and with so many fun riding buddies!
    Being that I'm in my 60s I'm very blessed to be able to ride the steep and technically challenging trails that I do.
    Staying fit and having years of off road motorcycle racing have allowed me to transition to MTBing at an older age.
    EVERY single day on my bike has been just awesome! Most of my riding is in the redwoods - what's not to love about that! The beautiful landscapes and the fun loving people I get to ride with are always the highlights of every ride!

2018 riding stats-img_5031.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Who needs Strava? There's more than one way to measure elevation!

2018 riding stats-screen-shot-2018-12-31-4.02.12-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Final stats - 5,323 mi, 662 hrs, 897k, 1 NUE win (50+)
    Romani ite domum

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    Final stats - 5,323 mi, 662 hrs, 897k, 1 NUE win (50+)
    You can still go out tonight and snatch 900k climbing

What kind of bikes did you do these on? Long travel beasts like the old days?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can still go out tonight and snatch 900k climbing

What kind of bikes did you do these on? Long travel beasts like the old days?
    Too cold and I'm too beat up from Tunnel trail to try for it. About 75% short travel, rest 178 or 215mm
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Distance 2,590.0 mi
    Time 317h 17m
    Elev Gain 260,192 ft
    Rides 208

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Hi Folks,

Here is 2018 for me:
    Distance 3,000.1 mi
    Time 379h 40m
    Elev Gain 176,053 ft
    Rides 262

Here is Last 4 Weeks for me:
    Avg Rides / Week 5
    Avg Distance / Week 73 mi
    Avg Time / Week 8h 34m

As in 2017, 99.9% of my 2018 rides were dedicated to skill acquisition. That means they primarily happen in parking lots in my neighborhood and consist of skill drills from one of Ryan Leech's on-line courses (https://www.ryanleech.com/). I've loved the journey and can't say enough good things about his instruction! The ability to Wheelie, Manual, Bunny Hop and execute a Front Wheel Pivot Turn are just icing on the cake!!

Best of Luck to All of You and May You Enjoy a Happy New Year,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hi Folks,

Here is 2018 for me:
    Distance 3,000.1 mi
    Time 379h 40m
    Elev Gain 176,053 ft
    Rides 262

Here is Last 4 Weeks for me:
    Avg Rides / Week 5
    Avg Distance / Week 73 mi
    Avg Time / Week 8h 34m

As in 2017, 99.9% of my 2018 rides were dedicated to skill acquisition. That means they primarily happen in parking lots in my neighborhood and consist of skill drills from one of Ryan Leech's on-line courses (https://www.ryanleech.com/). I've loved the journey and can't say enough good things about his instruction! The ability to Wheelie, Manual, Bunny Hop and execute a Front Wheel Pivot Turn are just icing on the cake!!

Best of Luck to All of You and May You Enjoy a Happy New Year,

Michael
    Amazing!!!

Days acquiring skills: xx

I went through a 15 year phase where I acquired zero skills. I thought I knew all I needed and could not be bothered.

Changing that mindset was a good year.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Update with the full year: 242 rides, 2550 miles, 355k footies.

2018 riding stats-2018_strava.jpg

fc
    Found my stats!!!

Rides: 167
    Crashes: 0
    Trail Work Days: 3
    Rides with first-timers: 12
    Rides with son: 21
    Selfies: a ton
    Senders and shralps: dozens
    High fives: 166
    Successful manuals pulled: -3
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Found my stats!!!

Rides: 167
    Crashes: 0
    Trail Work Days: 3
    Rides with first-timers: 12
    Rides with son: 21
    Selfies: a ton
    Senders and shralps: dozens
    High fives: 166
    Successful manuals pulled: -3
    The ride to high five ratio is much lower than I'd expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast