Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator Moderator
    My 16 year old son keeps my stats. I ask, "How's my riding looking?" He replies, "You're still slow and you still suck, but thanks for buying me cool bikes and taking me riding nearly everyday!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    everybody get your stats in before I call MrCrash to post. 7 figures on climbing feet usually on that kook.

I actually came up a little short this year!

With four nights of class a week from January to June, hazardous air quality for about four weeks, and minimal desire to do the big solo rides that I've done in past years, this was my first year since 2013 that I didn't get a million feet. Which is fine - once I realized I couldn't pull it off, I did a lot more reasonably sized super-fun rides with new friends, old friends, and rad kids on local high school teams

Last 4 Weeks:

Avg Rides / Week: 7
    Avg Distance / Week: 143
    Avg Time / Week: 16h 20m

7,911 miles
    843 hours
    865,558 feet
    377 rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Rides: 143
    Distance: 1,935.0 mi
    Time: 234h 24m
    Crashes: 2: 1 little and 1 BIG
    Trail Work Days: 5

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    The ride to high five ratio is much lower than I'd expect.
    Most of my rides are solo and I had to high five myself.

And when I was on an ebike, most wanted to low punch me.
    IPA will save America

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Amazing!!!

Days acquiring skills: xx

I went through a 15 year phase where I acquired zero skills. I thought I knew all I needed and could not be bothered.

Changing that mindset was a good year.
    Hey fc,

Thanks for your kind words!

I agree with you completely that you're either growing/learning/moving forward or following behind. There is no middle path. Embracing life long learning plus exercise seem to be two of the primary protections against premature aging.

I hope your learning curve is enjoyable in 2019!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Despite being off the bike for 2 months (trial; smoke), 2018 was a pretty big year. Bike commuting helps. Sadly, very few of these miles were on a mountain bike. I ride a gravel bike with 43c tires almost everywhere these days (even China Camp).

Stats don't include the 20ish days that I took my kids to school on the e-bike. That would add about 200 miles and 5,000 feet of vert. And a lot of teaching my kindergarten-aged kids new swear words due to bad drivers.

Distance 2,170.8 mi
    Time 181h 14m
    Elev Gain 126,093 ft
    Rides 294

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Despite being off the bike for 2 months (trial; smoke), 2018 was a pretty big year. Bike commuting helps. Sadly, very few of these miles were on a mountain bike. I ride a gravel bike with 43c tires almost everywhere these days (even China Camp).

Stats don't include the 20ish days that I took my kids to school on the e-bike. That would add about 200 miles and 5,000 feet of vert. And a lot of teaching my kindergarten-aged kids new swear words due to bad drivers.

Distance 2,170.8 mi
    Time 181h 14m
    Elev Gain 126,093 ft
    Rides 294
    Pretty awesome! Bike commute is the antidote to a very busy schedule.
    IPA will save America

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Pretty awesome! Bike commute is the antidote to a very busy schedule.
    It so is. I've bike-commuted since May 2016. I only get 8 miles a day from it, but it's made me a much, much stronger rider. I'm contemplating moving further away from work so I can get ~150 base miles each week just riding back and forth. The kicker is it would still be faster than driving.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rides: 140
    Elev: 479,944
    Dist: 2709 mi.

Rides I didn't want recorded: a lot

Trailwork days: 1

CES wins: 2
    Nasty crashes: 2

Overall another fun year on the bike, appreciate every ride I can get.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    It so is. I've bike-commuted since May 2016. I only get 8 miles a day from it, but it's made me a much, much stronger rider. I'm contemplating moving further away from work so I can get ~150 base miles each week just riding back and forth. The kicker is it would still be faster than driving.
    And better for the environment.

I have a friend in Palo Alto who rides to the city and back every working day. He is a different species of human however.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    And better for the environment.

I have a friend in Palo Alto who rides to the city and back every working day. He is a different species of human however.
    Having done the Skyline SF2G route a couple times...yeah, that's a monster. I guess you get better, but I can't contemplate doing 300 urban miles in a week. The Bayway has a lot of intersections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Meager stats for 2018:

Distance: 826.7 mi
    Elevation: 95,180 ft
    Rides: 113
    States ridden: CA, NV, AZ, NC
    Trail days: 8ish

I know I've ridden more, as I had a fair number of GPS issues since I moved to a tree covered area in March (fixed this in September by getting a GPS watch). I also commute and ride to and from the store, commute is maybe 6mi, 400ft of elevation on average 5 days a week, which isn't insignificant. Still, I want to ride a lot more this year.

I bike commute only because I can't stand the crowds on public transit and live too far to walk. I hated bike commuting when I lived near downtown SF, and was injured twice by cars riding in that area just in the last year I lived there. Since moving, I do most of my commute on protected bike lanes that see a lot of traffic, which makes me feel a lot safer. Still, just today I witnessed someone (literally the person riding right in front of me) get hit by an idiot riding her bike the wrong way into oncoming bike traffic. Fortunately the rider going the wrong way came out worse. I don't enjoy road riding, maybe it's my luck but it has never felt safe to me here or anywhere else. Along with AKD I do enjoy riding drop bars offroad, and mixing in some Marin fire roads on cross bikes has the same effect as road riding, but with more fun and less risk.

If I had to commute to a different city or Google (kill me!), I'd get an ebike I seriously do think on-road ebikes with proper building out of bike paths from SF to South Bay would help out a lot of commuters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12