mtbr member

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6

Once again, it's time to atone for all those sins of the past year by flogging yourself on the Bay Area's toughest race. Also, the Bay Area's least expensive race!

100 miles, 20,000' of up. Nothing else like it.

See if you have what it takes to beat the KOM time of 13 hours, 39 minutes. See if you have what it takes to finsh.

The Hard COEre 100 - home

For those who prefer less suffering there is a 100k version.

And new this year is the Hard Coe're 40. A single-track intensive tour of South Coe- 40 miles and 10,000' of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/routes/14434238

Starts at about 630AM at the Hunting Hollow entrance to Henry Coe State Park. Bring a state parks annual pass or pay $6 for parking.

Dropshot Champ!
    Are there e-bike charging stations on this course.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah right? I can do this that weekend or ride my bike unsupported for 800 miles across California. I'm pretty sure the 800 miles will go by quicker....
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Strap a big solar panel to your helmet for continuous charging.

As a bonus, you will be in the shade all day.

fading away
    I’d love to do the 100 miler, but unsure what my work schedule and subsequent training ride schedule will be like between now and then.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    Strap a big solar panel to your helmet for continuous charging.

As a bonus, you will be in the shade all day.
    Love this! Gunna try it.

middle ring single track

And new this year is the Hard Coe're 40. A single-track intensive tour of South Coe- 40 miles and 10,000' of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/routes/14434238
    FWIW the 40 M route traverses "Steer Jones" which is not open (yet) to bikes or horses. The rangers aren't real happy that their "Area Closed" signs last about 3 days. Bikers are the main suspect for the vandalism. Kinda hard to lobby for bike access with this happening.

Also the other routes use the illegitimate social shortcut entry to Timm Trail. Real men ride the steep mapped route that takes off by the spring.

On a lighter note a small crew of Coe volunteers cleared most of the Mississsippi Lake Trail this last weekend; a couple of sections were completely choked with Chaparral.

Before:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180826_022.jpg

After:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180826_029.jpg

Word has it that Heritage Trail is pretty choked so it's high on the list but not sure if we'll get to it before October.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am interested in doing the 40 mile route - presuming the route is ok. Having never ridden Coe and only heard the lore on MTBR, even that seems like a big day.

Besides Kelly Lake, will any of the creeks be flowing to refill bottles presuming I have a filtration system?

How well does Trailforks work in Coe? Crazy to use it for navigation??

Anyone else considering the 40 mile route?

mtbr member
    The 40 mile route is legit. But steep! It differs from the 100 mile route in that pretty much the entire 40 miles can be cleaned... no mandatory hike-a-bike. There are a few walls that will test your power/endurance.

The "Steer Jones" shortcut trail Moe Ped is referring to is easily bypassed by continuing up Spike Jones to Steer Ridge. This adds about 1/8 mile and 50' of vert, so no big deal. This is probably a good thing anyway to make sure the route is a full 40 miles and a full 10K vert. I'll update the Strava Route when I get a chance.

No creeks will be flowing. The only thing flowing October 6th will be tears...

Here are the places you can refill water on the 40 (bring a filter or iodine tabs):
    Mile 10- Wilson Camp faucet
    Mile 17.5- Maintained spring at the bottom of Anza Trail
    Mile 22.5- Kelley Lake
    Mile 33- Maintained springs at bottom of Grapevine and at intersection with Anza
    Mile 35- Maintained spring at the bottom of Anza Trail (same one from mile 17.5)

You are pretty bold to ride 40 miles at Coe, sight unseen. Now that's what adventure is all about.

Most of the trail intersections have signs, so if you carry a map, you won't need GPS. I've only used maps at Coe, no GPS, and nowadays I don't even use maps. I've got the map burned into my soul...

I might do the 40 this year instead of the 100. We will see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’d love to do the 100 miler, but unsure what my work schedule and subsequent training ride schedule will be like between now and then.
    Porkstacker- If you are out of shape, then ride the 40. I'm crazy busy at work this summer and haven't ridden as much as I would like...so I'll probably ride the 40 so I don't blow a gasket this year.

190lbs of climber
    It's been long enough that this is starting to sound like a good idea again. In case anyone is interested in learning about this insanity, here is my recap from 2016.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone considering the original Everest challenge? Maybe 100km first, then 100mi right after? Or 100mi first, 100km reversed next (so only one bear uphill).
    Problem is once you get to the parking lot (to refill water from car stash), no one in their right mind goes back. OTOH, there aren't many of those among these riders...

I am thinking of starting midnight, will be fun for others to catch up along the route.
    Never limited by common sense...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Another "Coe factor" evidence: I did a long road bike loop in the East coadt (Guilford - Boston - Providence - Guilford, 300mi), and while my feet bottom were hurting a little (regular nikes on flat pedal of loaner bike), I was in good shape. 100mi of Coe was probably 50% harder than that, still my most challenging ride(s).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mjj1066 View Post
    I am interested in doing the 40 mile route - presuming the route is ok. Having never ridden Coe and only heard the lore on MTBR, even that seems like a big day.

Besides Kelly Lake, will any of the creeks be flowing to refill bottles presuming I have a filtration system?

How well does Trailforks work in Coe? Crazy to use it for navigation??

Anyone else considering the 40 mile route?
    I would strongly suggest a recon ride or two, specially if you never suffered Coe before. Calibrates your expectations, at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Here is a link to download the Hard Coe're 100 map and cue sheet (PDF 7.6 MB):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi9clb9ruv...20map.pdf?dl=0

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

See if you have what it takes to beat the KOM time of 13 hours, 39 minutes.
    See if you have what it takes to finish.
    1. See if you have what it takes to start it
    2. See if you have what it takes to finish it
    3. See if you have what it takes to finish under 24h
    4. See if you have what it takes to beat the KOM, 13h 39min
    5. See if you have what it takes to do the Everest Challenge

Any of those earn a badge in my book. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Here is a link to download the Hard Coe're 100 map and cue sheet (PDF 7.6 MB):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi9clb9ruv...20map.pdf?dl=0
    Are the ridewithgps routes still current? Any edits needed from last year's masochism?

(not posting the links until confirmed, or after editing any changes).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    FWIW the 40 M route traverses "Steer Jones" which is not open (yet) to bikes or horses. The rangers aren't real happy that their "Area Closed" signs last about 3 days. Bikers are the main suspect for the vandalism. Kinda hard to lobby for bike access with this happening.

Also the other routes use the illegitimate social shortcut entry to Timm Trail. Real men ride the steep mapped route that takes off by the spring.

On a lighter note a small crew of Coe volunteers cleared most of the Mississsippi Lake Trail this last weekend; a couple of sections were completely choked with Chaparral.

Word has it that Heritage Trail is pretty choked so it's high on the list but not sure if we'll get to it before October.

I can help on Oct 1,2,3 (maybe on Sunday Sep 30, too).

COEre 100 is hard enough when clear, no need to try to find the exit out of the thorny bushes in the dark. :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post

COEre 100 is hard enough when clear, no need to try to find the exit out of the thorny bushes in the dark. :-(
    BTW what is Coe's policy on trail cleaning? Have silky saw, will travel - or tickets for helping, like Mid-Pain?

mtbr member
    Thanks for helping out Jose. A pair of bypass loppers 12" to 25" long is the ticket for clearing overgrown trails in Coe. In theory, of course. Only the State and it's paid and non-paid partners are allowed to keep the trails clear at Coe. Sometimes there are those who practice civil disobedience, but I'm sure they will all burn in hell for their troubles

middle ring single track
    BTW what is Coe's policy on trail cleaning? Have silky saw, will travel - or tickets for helping, like Mid-Pain?
    It's a bit of a gray area, most of the beat rangers will say it's OK for visitors to do light pruning and remove fallen trees from the trail. Higher up the food chain you'll probably get a stiff warning or a ticket. Policy says all trail work must be supervised. (by staff or a uniformed volunteer) And a release form signed.

Dirt work everybody takes more seriously. Don't get caught doing tread work (other than what you can kick with your shoe!) or carrying those sorts of tools. Also, while saws and loppers might get you a pass; axes and machetes will likely be confiscated with a possible citation.

And the vigilante volunteers spraying Roundup in the park are on the most-wanted list.

There's usually at least a half-dozen "public's invited" trail maintenance events every year (mostly in the spring); visit lending-a-hand

Disclosure: I am a uniformed volunteer at Coe.

middle ring single track

Coe's volunteer "Springs Committee" team had a weekend work event this past and we finished brushing Mississippi Lake Trail and took care of the Chaparral portion of Heritage Trail.

Some before and after pix of Heritage:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_001.jpg 2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_007.jpg

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_002.jpg 2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_004.jpg

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180906_027.jpg 2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_011.jpg

The section of Heritage lower down in the ravine is pretty obscure in the grass and we probably won't work on it until after it rains:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180913_018.jpg

If we go out again on any of the days you listed I'll send you a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks! The 'Coere just got a little less Hard!

Now can you make sure temperatures stay under 80? With a strong tailwind?

mtbr member
    Wow thanks Paul and Co for brushing Heritage. That trail was close to disappearing.

I recall the brush being so bad it would do the braking for me on the downhill!

middle ring single track
    Wow thanks Paul and Co for brushing Heritage. That trail was close to disappearing.

I recall the brush being so bad it would do the braking for me on the downhill!
    You really need to thank MTBR lurker and Coe's CMBP (bike patrol) fellow member Eric S; he's the one who bumped Heritage to the top of the list for work on Sunday:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20180916_006.jpg

The rest of the weekend's team appear in this video from Saturday:

In order of appearance we have Elena A, Linda K, Jesus V and Jodie K. Our average age is right around 70; Jodie (in orange swinging the pulaski) is 80!

A lot of work chopping Chaparral out by the stump; if only pruned most come back with a vengeance. In a good year some species can put out 2 feet of growth; it doesn't take long to choke off a trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Please pass my heartfelt thanks! I am doing Hard COEre 100 this year in their honor.

I just hope that hoe right in the middle of the trail wasn't left behind - I would crash into it for sure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hello MTBR. This is my first post.

I plan on lining up for the 100 mile in a few weeks. I just finished a 1070 mile bikepacking race so I'll either crush it or be totally wrecked. Either way I look forward to seeing you all out there.

-Ben

mtbr member
    Man, another year goes by without taking this beast on! Maybe 2019. I still laugh every time I see the cartoon on the site: The Hard COEre 100 - home

loopy counter
    The park has/had a tool for hand rooting, but it was such a beast to portage that it’s understandable that you prefer hacking at the ground with a pick.

More Torque

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6

Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    The park has/had a tool for hand rooting, but it was such a beast to portage that it’s understandable that you prefer hacking at the ground with a pick.
    Weed wrench. A beast indeed.

-D

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Tarantula festival is on Saturday Oct 6th. There will be a tasty bbq waiting for you at Coe HQ if you can buy a ticket still If I can get up and motivated early enough on Saturday I may attempt the Coe 40mile/10k, or I may do a shorter version with includes a visit to Coe HQ to enjoy the feast there.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    The Tarantula festival is on Saturday Oct 6th. There will be a tasty bbq waiting for you at Coe HQ if you can buy a ticket still If I can get up and motivated early enough on Saturday I may attempt the Coe 40mile/10k, or I may do a shorter version with includes a visit to Coe HQ to enjoy the feast there.
    The T-fest BBQ is scaled back a bit this year; tri-tip and BBQ chicken are gone and replaced with hamburgers (and veggie burgers) and hot dogs. The sides are still the same. Beer and wine are gone but soft drinks and ice cream bars are available extra.

Here's the T-fest-order-form.

(Reasons for the scale-back; preparing the tri-tip and chicken beforehand required renting a county-inspected kitchen and this cost had sky-rocketed. Also the profit of beer/wine sales wasn't above the cost of the event AB sales permit)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Are there any sections of the routes that need work? I can spend a day this week there with a silky saw or lopper.

Maybe with a bulldozer and help we can re-grade Bear Mountain Rd. :-)

mtbr member
    Last year, Dutch's Trail was getting pretty bad.

middle ring single track
    Last year, Dutch's Trail was getting pretty bad.
    We usually hit Dutch's just before Back County Weekend in April; this year we even ran a brush mower down it. (Also on Yellow Jacket and Tie Down) Shouldn't be too bad but with Chaparral growing 2' a year a 4' clearance can disappear pretty fast.

Pacheco Creek Trail from Heritage down to Canteen Springs is what I was going to mention. A bit shaggy in spots.

Phoneline needs to be looked at also. It was getting a little tight last time I was on it.

Turkey Pond Tr supposedly has a tree down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just like seventies bush I ain't going down that trail without a gun and a flashlight

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    18" lopper and foldable saw enough for Pacheco and Phoneline?

Is that tree chainsaw material or would my trustworthy 10" Silky and enough time prevail?

middle ring single track
    18" lopper and foldable saw enough for Pacheco and Phoneline?

Is that tree chainsaw material or would my trustworthy 10" Silky and enough time prevail?
    Should be adequate for brush. Tree I haven't seen but generally 10" is only good if you have a lot of patience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone that has done the Hard Coere 100 has a lot of patience... :-)
    If the tree is up to 14" or so, 10" blade and patience wins. OTOH, if it is getting dark, or after 30mi, 6kft of Coe and trail cleaning 3" diameter is too much.

If too big or too tired, at least I will take a picture with embedded location.

Would anyone suggest edits to the route below, to get to them? Anyone else with loppers and patience for Thursday sunrise at Bell?

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/693147

middle ring single track
    FWIW I'm trying to put together a sanctioned TWD for this Saturday the 29th. Most likely be driven in from Hunting Hollow. (Availability of uniformed volunteers with back-country driving permissions will be the deciding factor) I'll try to confirm by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Any chances you'll hit that oak on Grizzly Gulch. The social bypass work but difficult to see...

I'd volunteer to take care of it but that one looks like a LOT of work. Maybe get Larry to carry the tools on the Levo ;-)

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    Any chances you'll hit that oak on Grizzly Gulch. The social bypass work but difficult to see...

I'd volunteer to take care of it but that one looks like a LOT of work. Maybe get Larry to carry the tools on the Levo ;-)
    The current plan is to allow the re-route to become established; that tree is HUGE and there's something like 7 or 8 12"+ dia. limbs that would need to be cut to clear the original trail. There's actually something in the State Trails Handbook that says if practicable when a fallen tree's trunk is 3' dia. or greater you leave the tree and move the trail. There's a similar tree on Cullen Trail.

middle ring single track
    Here's what the State Parks trail guidelines are

This graphic is in reference to hiking trails; most of the designated single track trails at Coe where bikes are permitted are considered Class I. When multi-use the limits are 8’ wide by 10’ high.

Of course most of the “single track” trails in Coe are in reality “double track” trails that have devolved into ST or less. The clearing limits on those is a bit nebulous; 2’ either side of the defined tread is what we usually shoot for. The recent work we did we treated Mississippi lake Trail as a Class I; Heritage Trail was treated part Class I and part Class IV (as we ran out of energy!)

IMHO the most important (and seldom followed) guideline is “Cut flush with main stem...”; even the State staff often have trouble doing this.

The other important thing to note is that some species get special protection; the oaks, manzanita and toyon are generally best left alone unless staff or UV is present. Oak’s trunks or branches 6” diameter and up we need to get permission before removing. Of course this doesn’t apply to fallen wood.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Changing subject, does anyone have recommendations for candy, drink, or other caffeine vehicle during a long long ride?
    Last year I slept only a couple hours before leaving for Henry Coe, and was dozing off near the end of the ride (at places with significant drop to creek on the right), and driving home had windows open, slaps to the face, dumb, dumb, dumb.
    I've heard dark chocolate has caffeine, but even Lindt's excellent 99% bars don't give me that jolt a double Starbucks espresso gives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    You should be able to find plenty of caffeinated drink mixes, bars and gels at any outdoor store. I personally don't like to hit the caffeine until the end of my ride is in sight as I tend to crash pretty hard once the caffeine wears off.

The best way I've found to keep my energy up over the course of a long ride is to be really diligent about making sure I'm getting enough to eat. For a single day ride like this 250-300 calories for every hour of moving time is what you'll need.
    Last edited by Ben Salthouse; 09-27-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks. I had plenty of food and water, what I had not had enough of was sleep the night before, looking for something to add next to the chlorine tablets in my backpack, for the eventual unplanned repeat of "dozing while riding".

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Glad to hear Hard Coere is still running. I attempted in 2012 (Hi Leo!) & 2013 (what's up Roy!), and... yeah it was hard! Unfortunately this will be another no show year due to lack of fitness and time, but I will have to go back at some point and finish the damn thing!

I like mtn biking, too
    First of all, thank you Paul and the whole crew for trimming the trails!

I was just starting to hunker down for a nice relaxing off-season, but a friend in craziness planted the idea in my head and now I'm throwin' down for the 100M. I'll probably bring a 6 oz. bivy bag and puffy jacket for napping just in case.

@zecamara - Although there are definitely lighter ways to carry 85mg of caffeine, this little gem saved me on a bikepacking race recently. No milk, so no foulness due to lack of refrigeration:
    https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drink...spresso-cubano
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the Starbucks link. I've seen many similar at gas stations, but always with cream or fancier stuff. This seems simple, although despite the "doubleshot" name carries only 85mg of caffeine.

I bought some "jet alert" pills on Amazon, 100mg caffeine each, tiny and light. It will have to do until the fast approaching grand opening of the Coe Starbucks (one per parking lot). :-)

Good luck on that 100M. May The Bear be nice and the weather be mild.

I like mtn biking, too
    Personally I'm holding out for a Starbuck's grand opening at Pacheco. But until then, I may just carry one from the start. It's a long way, but coffee has mood-lifting chemicals other than caffeine that are really useful when throwing yourself into situations like this.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm going to do my own not so hard Coere ride in Coe on Saturday:
    Start around 8:30am at Hunting Hollow, JDT, Spike Jones, Timm, Coit, Anza, Coit, Mahoney Meadows, China Hole, Manzanita, BBQ lunch at Coe HQ, Manzanita, Flat Frog, Hobbs, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Schafer, Narrows, Mahoney Meadows, Lost Spring, Mahoney Meadows, Coit (up), Wasno, Domino Pond, Cattle Duster, Grapevine, Anza, Coit and back to Hunting Hollow. I hope to see some of the 100k and 100m riders at Coe HQ during lunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    I'm going to do my own not so hard Coere ride in Coe on Saturday:
    Start around 8:30am at Hunting Hollow, JDT, Spike Jones, Timm, Coit, Anza, Coit, Mahoney Meadows, China Hole, Manzanita, BBQ lunch at Coe HQ, Manzanita, Flat Frog, Hobbs, Middle Ridge, Schafer, Narrows, Mahoney Meadows, Lost Spring, Mahoney Meadows, Coit (up), Wasno, Domino Pond, Cattle Duster, Grapevine, Anza, Coit and back to Hunting Hollow. I hope to see some of the 100k and 100m riders at Coe HQ during lunch.
    That's a nice route. What's the estimated elevation and mileage on that one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rough estimate is 8000 feet and 45 miles, but with a lot of fun single track.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    October 6. Good luck all.
    IPA will save America

I like mtn biking, too
    Thanks fc!

More information - thanks to Moe Ped and others for updating this trail conditions page:
    Trail Conditions

I made a ride with gps route out of the .gpx for the 100 mile from the website:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28694965

And here's a bail option from Pacheco camp that makes it a 70 mile ride instead of 100 cuz you never know...
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28701250
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    FYI - on the 100 mile Ride With GPS route above, the decommissioned end of Center Flats Road (right at mile marker 77) is shown instead of the new more Northerly finish to Wagon Road. That last 1/4 mile to Wagon has been blocked off by logs and brush. It's easy to simply continue on CFR to Wagon, resist the voice in the phone telling you to take the old path into the jungle...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks for info!

Hi Cragnshag - thanks for that info. Just to be crystal clear, are you saying to go straight instead of making the left turn in the GPS track? The GPS that shred posted is the same as the one on the official page, but when I checked Google Earth 2018 imagery, it does appear that we need to go straight. I am assuming that the purple arrows in the attached image are the correct way to go. 2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-screen-shot-2018-10-03-9.09.46-pm.jpg

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by fulmar2 View Post
    Hi Cragnshag - thanks for that info. Just to be crystal clear, are you saying to go straight instead of making the left turn in the GPS track? The GPS that shred posted is the same as the one on the official page, but when I checked Google Earth 2018 imagery, it does appear that we need to go straight. I am assuming that the purple arrows in the attached image are the correct way to go. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 9.09.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	1219201
    Your purple arrows are the correct (only) way to connect to Wagon Road from Center Flats Road. The old route is closed with more than just "logs and brush"; they used a bulldozer and an excavator to completely restore the hillside to its pre-road contour.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by fulmar2 View Post
    we
    Okay NOW I grabbing the popcorn. With these mild temps, will the record be bested.

I like mtn biking, too
    Thank you crag for checking the route, and thanks fulmar & moe ped for clarifying! I made that change at mile 77 in the route. Same link as before: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28694965 . I presume that the source .gpx file on the website will need to be updated as well.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Watch for The Bear

Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Okay NOW I grabbing the popcorn. With these mild temps, will the record be bested.
    Don't be fooled by the weatherman. Coe never respects that...

Last year I did the official ride, it was 100F at the beginning of Bear Mountain climb. 10 days later I started at night, somehow still 100F right before the animal.

A week ago I went to "relax", do some trail work. Weather supposedly low 80's, but the GPS got to 120F (exaggerated, likely in the sun while I was cutting brushes, but it felt like 105F at least). When the breeze came, instead of refreshing, it was like opening the oven, added punishment.

Bring extra water, bring a few chlorine tablets in case you run out (several yucky horse troughs along the way, lakes that need filtering, but at Pacheco camp there is a hose - great to refresh your head and wet your shirt if too hot, but not potable without tablets).

Good luck to all the brave fools doing it this year! :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just to give everyone someone to their liking, I came up with a 1/2 Hard Coe're, again staying mostly in South Coe. This route has a little less single tracks a trade off to get some smoother fire road climbs to recuperate. Also adds a visit to Pacheco Camp at mile 31.5. Strava says 50.5 miles and 10,258ft of climbing.

With regards to water source:
    9: Spring at Coit Horse Camp (just past Coit Sping)
    13.5: Spring at the bottom of Grapevine/Anza
    16: Elderberry Spring
    19.1: Kelly Lake
    31.8 Pacheco Camp
    35.4: Coit Lake
    38.3: Kelly Lake
    46.8: Willson Camp

https://www.strava.com/routes/15647399

loopy counter
    Don't be fooled by the weatherman. Coe never respects that...
    I was referring to the fulmar’s subtle hint that he’s gonna ride this year, and noting that he’s got about a 10 degree advantage over 2013. Temps this year are about the same as 2016 when that was bested. Making it a fair fight.

Good luck to all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Wow! We now almost have more Hard Coere routes than participants! :-)

Hard Coere 100mi - the original https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28694965
    Hard Coere 100km - the european (metric) version https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24907466
    Half a Coere 50mi - https://www.strava.com/routes/15647399
    NotSoHard Coere De Jong 45mi - try to keep up with a DJ https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28731234
    Mild Coere 40mi - fun for the whole family https://www.strava.com/routes/14434238
    Easy Coere 100ft - just park at HQ, enjoy the spiders

(NotSoHard above needs to be checked, built from text descriptions)

RidewithGPS used to be a great tool to annotate, add directions, water locations, etc. but they got greedy, even for cuesheet editing they want subscriptions.

I found www.plotaroute.com which still allows cuesheet editing for free, and has a neat timing estimator with compensation for climbs and descents that works pretty well in general. Makes great "virtual partner" routes. I find that TCX format preserves my annotations (water behind the oak, 50ft) and works fine with garmin edge 1000 for virtual partner pacing. Their total climb overestimates grossly, but I use ridewithgps for editing then import into plotaroute to add directions, timing info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I wouldn't call the 40 milers mild by any means. It has about 5 grunting climbs (yet nothing like Bear Mtn for those who know) sometimes short but definitely challenging. All cleanable for strong riders:
    - first 1/3 of Lyman Willson
    - Steer Ridge from Willson Camp to Serpentine
    - Anza-Jackson-Elderberry
    - Cross Canyon from creek to Coit Rd.
    - Spike Jones from Grizzly Gulch to Steer Ridge

It does maximize use of singletracks over fire roads.

I like mtn biking, too
    lol, @zecamara - I know right? Luckily there are at least a few more showing than are posting here. Maybe the 40 and 45 milers can join forces and have fun riding together? And yes, 40 miles in Coe is like, 8000-9000' of climbing. I just happened to need ridewithgps service for a couple other events this year and paid for it, hence sharing the route with y'all so you don't have to. You can get a TCX file from it.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    The 40 has something closer to 10,000' of climbing, so even more Coe than Coe!

BTW, there will be food and drinks at the HH gazebo area for the survivors of all Hard Coe distances.
    Last edited by cragnshag; 10-07-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Error

mtbr member
    There are definitely more people showing up for the rides on October 6th.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I am 3000 miles away, but anxious for the exit polls.

How many showed up? How many 100mi? 100km? How many De Jongs? Any bear victims yet? Weather cooperating?

middle ring single track
    At least at HQ the weather was fantastic; I was "stuck" with volunteer duties for the T-fest so wasn't able to get much of a feeling as to how the ride was going. 3 Coe regulars; Eric S, Jim W (zener?) and Paul N (Jack Burns) did pause at HQ long enough for me to grab quick chat with them---they were doing the 100k and said some 100m riders were way ahead of them. Jack Burns said that the HH lot was packed so it sounds like a great turnout.

Zener(?) and Jack Burns:
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-wp_20181006_006%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    It was a fantastic weather day for the event.

I believe, from a casual count, at 6:30 this morning there were 30 mountain bikes at Hunting Hollow.

Later, I imagine, I'll make a ride report here.

For now, here's a photo from near the top of Phegley by the Red Fern Trail junction.

I was on the 100k. The ride treated me well.

I like mtn biking, too
    Liia and I finished the 100 miler! It took us 20:17, I think, and that's after pulling in and chatting with crasnshag who stayed up all night just to greet riders at the finish with hot food and beer! Thanks so much for doing that! I was elated but wiped and cold and my mind wasn't quite functioning. Not sure if I mentioned how grateful I was. It was so nice to just see someone at the end. And thanks to Ben, another 100 mile finisher for staying and hanging out as well.

The unsung heroes are the trailworkers! I was so relieved at how passable everything was, given how brushy and scotch broomy things are out there. In the past, trails have been known to go missing.
    ~Fairfaxian

More pie please
    Most riders left just after 6:30am. It was still dark and impossible to know who was there but the parking lot was very busy!

A couple early morning photos:

Cresting the first climb:

14 year-old Wyatt riding a Nomad on the 40 mile route. He didn't finish but still got 7,000 feet of climbing!

Filtering water at Kelly Lake. A few went in for a swim (in the middle of a "race"):

My riding partners for the day, Chris and Janet:

JRA pace and dead last but we were satisfied just completing the 40 mile route.

From Janet's camera, Chris and myself on Anza:

Congratulation to all the finishers and much thanks to cragnshag!

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 10-07-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How was the weather? The dark clouds in one picture looked like prayers answered.

No rock art this year?

More pie please
    How was the weather? The dark clouds in one picture looked like prayers answered.
    Weather was wonderful! Hunting Hollow in the morning was surprisingly not very cold. Mid-day was mild. Those clouds didn't produce any rain. I hung around HH waiting for finishers (eating Costco potato salad which Bob had brought—I guess I needed the carbs) until 9pm, it was getting cold at that point.

No rock art this year?
    No, no known rock art this year.

There was, however, a new course record. fulmar2 completed the 100 miles in 12:08. (Menso's* old record was 13:39) It was not all smooth sailing as midway he had a tire issue which hampered the rest of the ride.

* Menso opted to run the Skyline to the Sea footrace this weekend.
    Last edited by Skyline35; 10-08-2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typos and grammar
    Long live long rides

mtbr member

Dawn on a beautiful day of riding.

The first long flat spot on Lyman.

DMQ rides off on Middle Steer Ridge.

Alright I'll cut to the end. On the Phegley descent I did a brake check with my ass in tire. This was the result.
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 10-07-2018 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Well that's great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Curious about the story of that "shorts malfunction". How many yards did it take to finally stop, sliding down some steep fire road? Ouch!

mtbr member
    Just riding along and enjoying the scenery along the way.

California Red Fuschia bloomed from rocky crags along the way.

Mississippi Lake is a cool blue life giving and spirit raising resource of beauty in the midst of the parched autumn landscape of Coe.

The slender single track of Pacheco Creek Trail is the essence of Zen moments in Coe.

The last climb of the day is best for you.

But the final descent might be even better!

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Red underwear or are you bleeding?

mtbr member
    Red underwear or are you bleeding?
    Happily that red layer is the liner of the chamois in the bike shorts.

This happened when my ass buzzed the tire on a compression at high speed.

This is very dangerous!

Can you imagine?

The touch was momentary and the shorts literally melted as the missing material attests to it. Incinerated!

I experienced a moment of panic just afterwards. That was close.

Bummed that I ruined these too!

Submitted for your amusement. I'm the object of derision for this gaff.

middle ring single track

This is very dangerous!

Can you imagine?

The touch was momentary and the shorts literally melted as the missing material attests to it. Incinerated!

G-out at the bottom of Phegley's "50 MPH hill"?

Never mind the testicles it's a good thing you didn't start a fire with the melted plastic!

mtbr member
    G-out at the bottom of Phegley's "50 MPH hill"?

Never mind the testicles it's a good thing you didn't start a fire with the melted plastic!
    According to my GPS this happened at 46 mph, so I'm getting close anyway. Had to do a brake check, and this is the result. The bike squatted like crazy.

Talk about rug burns!

Reminded me of burning my leg on motorcycle tail pipe when I was a teenager. The slightly delayed reaction.

middle ring single track
    According to my GPS this happened at 46 mph, so I'm getting close anyway. Had to do a brake check, and this is the result. The bike squatted like crazy.

Talk about rug burns!

Reminded me of burning my leg on motorcycle tail pipe when I was a teenager. The slightly delayed reaction.
    Maybe I'm psychic but I guessed Phegley before reading your Strava write-up.

BTW based on your Bear Spring photo I was very surprised at how much algae that trough has already; it was crystal clear just a few weeks ago. I guess being in full sun is the factor.

Speaking of springs; did any of the 100M riders notice the condition of Lost Spring? There's been a recent report that it's empty and not running which would be odd because it was full and trickling a week ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Congratulations to all 100m, 100k, and 40m finishers and especially to the new record holder. I had a good ride starting at 8:30am and following my proposed route to Coe HQ. That first leg was already 20 miles and 5000 foot of climbing. I narrowly avoided riding over two Tarantulas on Spike Jones or Timms and enjoyed talking to Ed Martini during the bbq lunch at the Tarantula festival. Since I had promised to be home by 4:30pm I returned to HH via Flat Frog, Hobbs, Middle Ridge, but then cut it short by taking Creekside, China Hole, Mahoney Meadows and Coit road for "only" 38.5 miles and 7275 feet, but was home by 5pm.

mtbr member
    A quick unofficial list of results from Saturday. Adigioca will be entering the results into the Hard Coe're 100 website. Please respond if you see an error or if we left somebody off the list.

Course records were shattered this year: Congrats to Brian Lucido and Chris (Diesel D) both crushing the previous records for the 100M and 60M respectively.

And inaugural KOMs Marc Beauchamp and Alex KOMposch for the new 50M and 40M events.

Kudos to everyone who gave it their all at Coe!

Brian Lucido 12:08
    Ben Salthouse 19:42
    Liia (Redwood Express) 20:15
    Julie (Shred Chick) 20:15

*Chris (Diesel D) 8:03 (*route deviation, 5 minutes added to elapsed time for going down Spike instead of Timm?)
    Sean Carroll 9:25
    Dave Cech 9:25
    *Paul (Sorcerer) 11:30 (*route deviation- went down Bear Springs Trail instead of FR from top of Bear mtn to Mississippi Lake)
    Eric (Paul’s friend, no Strava) 11:30 (*route deviation- went down Bear Springs Trail instead of FR from top of Bear mtn to Mississippi Lake)
    Humberto Olmos DNF (went 60 miles and 11K climbing in 11:38, but returned directly from Pacheco Camp via Coit/Wagon/Lyman Wilson)
    Walter Dunckel DNF (went 60 miles and 11K climbing in 11:38, but returned directly from Pacheco Camp via Coit/Wagon/Lyman Wilson)
    Javier Portillo DNF (went 60 miles and 11K climbing in 11:38, but returned directly from Pacheco Camp via Coit/Wagon/Lyman Wilson)
    Matt S. DNF (went 43 miles and 8K climbing in 8:26, but returned directly after Shaffer Corral DH via Mahoney/Coit/GHS)

Marc Beauchamp 8:36
    Steve Soby DNF (went 37 miles and 6K climbing, broken seat dropper wouldn’t return up)

Alex Komposch 5.27
    Bob Steed 6:16
    Phil Tercero 7:00
    Shane Sawyer 7:04
    Jason Anderson 7:07
    Mike King 10:07
    Trevor King 10:12
    Charlie (Skyline 35) 10:43
    Janet Wagoner 10:43
    Chris (DogMeatQueen) 10:43
    Wyatt King DNF (went 30 miles and 7K climbing. Some of that as a wheelie)

fading away
    Damnballs what an amazing turnout. I ought have just HTFU’d this time and attempted at least the least hard of the hardness.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    "BTW based on your Bear Spring photo I was very surprised at how much algae that trough has already; it was crystal clear just a few weeks ago. I guess being in full sun is the factor."

Paul, Eric described to me how the pipe was brought in, dragged, and some of the background. It's really nice. Thanks!

The first thing I thought was that this spring needs a Ramada or gazebo over it. I know that's not realistic. The long pipe (how long?) is not buried, it warms the water when the sun is out.

The flow is very good. Didn't measure.

The pool was attended by mixed flock of small birds I couldn't identify - they departed in a puff of smoke!

I felt as though I had arrived at Paradise.

The algae growth is astonishingly strong and fast.

That this is a deviation from the 60 is a kind of slight. A rider should really get a badge for doing it. It's the only raffish trail on the route. It made our shins bleed.

mtbr member
    I agree Paul. Deviation is only noted for posterity, nothing is taken away from the ride. Maybe we shave a few minutes from your time to account for the blood loss

middle ring single track
    "BTW based on your Bear Spring photo I was very surprised at how much algae that trough has already; it was crystal clear just a few weeks ago. I guess being in full sun is the factor."

Paul, Eric described to me how the pipe was brought in, dragged, and some of the background. It's really nice. Thanks!

The first thing I thought was that this spring needs a Ramada or gazebo over it. I know that's not realistic. The long pipe (how long?) is not buried, it warms the water when the sun is out.

The flow is very good. Didn't measure.

The pool was attended by mixed flock of small birds I couldn't identify - they departed in a puff of smoke!

I felt as though I had arrived at Paradise.

The algae growth is astonishingly strong and fast.

That this is a deviation from the 60 is a kind of slight. A rider should really get a badge for doing it. It's the only raffish trail on the route. It made our shins bleed.
    I hadn't considered the "solar hot water heater" effect of the exposed pipe; that warm water would certainly be contributing to the algae growth. There's about 900' coming down from the main Bear Spring, much of it out in the sun. As soon as we get some rain so we can operate a trencher safely we'll bury the pipe.

After being in service for one week:

In regards to the deviant route "short cut" it's anything but a short cut in its current condition; IMHO you should get bonus credit for the deviation. The original theme for the Hard Coe're was "as much single track as possible" so maybe this deviation should be made permanent. A better source of treatable drinking water than Mississippi Lake to boot. (One could still jump in the lake for a swim)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Results page been updated with the 2018 results. Also added a link to the Strava ride when ever I could find one.

HardCOEre100 - results

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reports and photos! Makes me want to get back to Coe, well done all!!

I like mtn biking, too
    In regards to the deviant route "short cut" it's anything but a short cut in its current condition; IMHO you should get bonus credit for the deviation. The original theme for the Hard Coe're was "as much single track as possible" so maybe this deviation should be made permanent. A better source of treatable drinking water than Mississippi Lake to boot. (One could still jump in the lake for a swim)
    Agreed! I've always passed by Bear Spring trail entrance and looked at it longingly. Super curious to ride it some day, if I ever feel like hoofing my bike up Bear Mtn. again.
    ~Fairfaxian

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Agreed! I've always passed by Bear Spring trail entrance and looked at it longingly. Super curious to ride it some day, if I ever feel like hoofing my bike up Bear Mtn. again.
    My recommendation for a route change would look like the following; you'd lose a couple miles of County Line Rd; Mississippi Lake Tr stays the same (but in reverse); Mississippi Dam Rd is added; a bit of Willow Ridge Rd (in reverse); 1.2 mi of Bear Mtn Peak Tr is added:

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-bear-spring-deviant.jpg

This adds about 0.7 mi to the route and maybe some elevation. Besides the added water stop now both vault toilets at Mississippi Lake are visited! Bear Mtn Peak Tr has some stunning views of the lake.

FWIW there are some labeling errors on the map in this vicinity; Bear Spring Trail should really be Bear Spring Road; the unlabeled 1.1 mi double-track to the west is the "real" Bear Spring Tr (actually goes past Bear Spring) The real Bear Spring Tr is also miserably overgrown with chemise; worse than what Eric S and Paul N encountered on their ride. There's also a "McAlister Tr" that loops around Bear Mountain Peak that isn't shown on the map. That trail connects together the north and south portions of Bear Mountain Pear Tr.

All of these double tracks in the vicinity of Bear Mountain will be getting some single track maintenance attention in the coming year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Aye for HC 2019 full mississippi

Great change to the route, IMO. After experiencing "Da Bear", Mississippi Lake is always an Oasis, that first glimpse, that flat road (downhill, even) towards it, the picnic table or a swim. More Mississippi, one vote.

Gorgeous views like these a week before tarantula fest:

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-mississippione.jpg

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-mississippitwo.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks Adagioca for curating the HardCoere website. It is exciting to see how many people entered the Coe Coliseum this year. I roughly figured 1405 miles, 290k ft (10 everests), doubt Coe ever saw that kind of activity before.

Whoever was in charge of promoting it this year gets tenure!

It is inspiring to see the Strava Flybys:

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-hcflyby.jpg

The reward was mild weather and great rides, new records, new addicts.

I compared Strava plots from 2017(blue) to 2018(red) 100mi, funny thing is that even with a milder weather (warmer in the morning, colder during the day), at the mouth of "The Bear" it is always 93F. Call it The Bear Invariant.

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-hc1718.jpg

More Torque
    Awesome event! I've been wanting to join for years, so I finally pulled myself out of bed for the metric, and it did not disappoint. Much longer than I normally ride, so an interesting exercise in pacing, energy conservation, hydration, fueling, gear selection, and logistics. For example, I've confronted the bear before, but never at high noon with 7,500 feet of climbing under the belt...whew! Major props to the big boys and girls who completed the hundred miler, as I certainly wasn't wishing for an additional 40.

Great to see so many folks out enjoying Coe; saw some old friends and got to meet some great riders who I had only "met" online.

Shout out to pliebenberg and others who had helped to brush sections of the course, Bob and co for hanging out at the finish with grub and drinks, and to the folks here who have helped to stoke the interest and keep the website and associated stats alive and well. Many hands!

-D

2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_04.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_06.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_07.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_08.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_09.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_10.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_11.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_15.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_17.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_18.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_23.jpg
    2018 Hard Coe're 100 (and 60 and 40) Saturday, October 6-2018_10_05_coe_25.jpg

fc
    head minion Administrator
    woah, i need to catch up on these reports!! How many went, how many finished?
    IPA will save America

More Torque

This is very dangerous!

Can you imagine?

Submitted for your amusement. I'm the object of derision for this gaff.
    Great to see you and Eric out there, JB. I know exactly spot where your shorts got blown; lost some skin on my left calf when it buzzed the rear tire at that same g-out...talk about momentum!

-D

mtbr member
    Tire problems report, Coe October 6th:

There were two significant known tire issues on the day. Brian had a sidewall cut at 40 miles in. DMQ had a sidewall cut in the first 5 miles.

Brian Lucido:

He had a cut big enough to push his pinky through the side of his rear tire that he booted with a sock!

mtbr member
    DMQ's bike had a huge cut in it that I only happened to notice on a chance meeting early on when she was poised at the top of Middle Steer Ridge.

Eric and I had ridden to Wilson Peak summit after riding up Steer Ridge Road and saw her on the hill across the way and rode over to say hi.

I looked down at the bike and noticed the cut. If the bike was leaned down on the other side I wouldn't have noticed.

Normally I don't carry a roll of duct tape, but I had packed one, which was perfect to simply wrap the tire to the rim.

The repair lasted all day. It wasn't leaking air, like Brian's tire. It was a matter of the cut spreading as it was peeling the tread layer from the casing. It wouldn't have lasted down Middle Steer, I think.

I just replaced the tire this evening. Here are some shots of the tire.