Moderator Moderator

2018/2019 Flu Season Is Here

The flu will cut your fall MTB season short, to say the least! Get a flu shot! Being married to a doctor I hear the crazy stories of flu sicknesses every year, which are mostly preventable. I read an estimate that approximately 40,000 Americans died last season from flu related illness. Staggering number.

Some great info from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2018-2019.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    >> I hear the crazy stories of flu sicknesses every year, which are totally preventable.

Well, not totally preventable. The figure I hear is that flu vaccines are about 40% effective.

The challenge is in predicting which flu strains will be dominant in the upcoming season, then the time involved in producing and distributing those vaccines. The flu strains have a lot of time to change by the time the vaccines get to market.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    >> I hear the crazy stories of flu sicknesses every year, which are totally preventable.

Well, not totally preventable. The figure I hear is that flu vaccines are about 40% effective.

The challenge is in predicting which flu strains will be dominant in the upcoming season, then the time involved in producing and distributing those vaccines. The flu strains have a lot of time to change by the time the vaccines get to market.
    Yeah I'll reword that! Nothing is 100%. But getting a flu shot could have saved 16,000 lives at 40% efficacy based on 40,000 mortality figure. Washing hands and being aware of high probability germ areas is a big help as well.

A 5 min shot that cuts risk by half is a good bet in my estimation. I think when most people believe they have the flu, they don't. The flu is like being on death's door. I've had it once when I was young. It was one of the worst experiences of my life.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...ss-studies.htm

mtbr member
    gateway meds...stay away from drugs kids, mmkay.

mtbr member
    I haven't had the flu in I don't how long but I can tell you I got it (or it's symptoms) two years in a row back when the police dept required that we get the shots. Of course I then had to miss work which cost me vacation days. When I threatened to file a grievance the next year, the requirement to get a flu shot was dropped. I've never had one since which has been at least 8-10 years.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Shot is free at Kaiser & takes seconds. If over 65, a higher dose is given for greater effectiveness. This year's vaccine contains 4 strains, and has much less risk of an allergic response, they said, because there's much less preservative in it.

A slightly sore arm for a day vs a week or more of misery? Easy choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i got mine last week. no big. if it helps, fantastic..if not, hope it minimizes my sickness.

crazy how the world got all EBOLA crazy, when that thing killed two people; the flu takes out thousands.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Hella Olde
    Haven't had one in about 40 years. Not bragging, just adding data to the internet virus.

I'm thinking maybe the nasty viral and bacterial cocktail i am exposed to in my filthy hood may actually have the same effect.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've had the flu a few times in my life. It was the only time I wished I would die. Absolutely miserable.

If a flu shot improves the odds even just a little bit that I won't get it again, or get it as severely, I'll happily take it.

I get a flu shot every year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    I've had the flu a few times in my life. It was the only time I wished I would die. Absolutely miserable.

If a flu shot improves the odds even just a little bit that I won't get it again, or get it as severely, I'll happily take it.

That bad? Iíve donít think Iíve ever had the full blown flu. I heard a real one goes on for two weeks.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator

Yep, most people only think they have the flu. The real flu will make you feel like you are literally dying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Two version are made without using egg. These two are effective against H3N2 version. The egg based versions mutate during production and are not effective. Flucelvax is cell based and effective against H3N2. A Costco in my area has that version for $19 or free with healthcare plans. Flublok is the other non egg based version.
    https://www.statnews.com/2017/11/07/...gg-production/

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    That bad? Iíve donít think Iíve ever had the full blown flu. I heard a real one goes on for two weeks.
    Yep. One time I was down for 3 weeks.

If Kevorkian showed up with his rig, I would have told him to hook me up.

Moderator Moderator
    And this year is the 100 year anniversary for the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic. From 1918 to 1920 the flu wiped out about 5% of the world's population, about 50 to 100 million people. More than all the deaths in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

mtbr member
    Yep. One time I was down for 3 weeks.

If Kevorkian showed up with his rig, I would have told him to hook me up.
    lol same thing for me like ten yrs ago. I knew I wasnít going to die but dying didnít sound all that bad. On the couch for a week. Brutal. Nothing like hot/cold all week, diahrea, cursing god or whoever.

Only thing that would have made me feel gooder is if a Jenson USA box showed up on my porch that week.

mtbr member
    I take BART to work, so my immune system is bulletproof. Exposed to every virus you heave heard of and many you didn't, weeks before they hit the news.

Between bart and using a mac I am immune to every virus, online and offline.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The flu will cut your fall MTB season short, to say the least! Get a flu shot! Being married to a doctor I hear the crazy stories of flu sicknesses every year, which are mostly preventable. I read an estimate that approximately 40,000 Americans died last season from flu related illness. Staggering number.

Some great info from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2018-2019.htm
    No thank you. Pharmaceutical drugs come with risks and for me the risks don't outweigh the poor efficacy rate and lack of safety studies all for an illness that would be better prevented/fought with healthy diet, exercise and possibly supplements like vitamin D during the winter months. It's sad how the cdc link you provided only recommends getting the flu vaccine (a pharmaceutical drug with risks) and if you still get the flu (the vaccine is only 10-60% effective) you can take anti-viral medications (more sales of drugs that come with risks... yay for big pharma and it's partner the CDC).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i probably cant draw a perfect parallel; but what about smallpox? there is no denying that that smallpox vaccine bitch-slapped the affliction. it is essentially a non-issue this day and age, if we ignore some hollywood action flix.

if you had to take the vaccine today, would you?

i hope one day the flu vaccine becomes super effective. but as i understand it, it is a moving target. a fast one.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Looks like my wife has the flu. She was up all night with the usual pukey/sh$%ty symptoms. Hot/Cold, Cold/Hot. And she says it feels like her skin is tearing and on fire. She basically told me to stay away, which I'll gladly do, so that means more riding time for me!

mtbr member
    There is so much money in the flu. They could cure it like they have small pox, polio etc, a one time childhood vac, but it would cost the drug companies billions to not do this every year.
    I work in a hospital and we have to get the flu shot or can't work for the flu season. We used to just have to wear a mask, but now they suspend us if we don't have it by the end of november.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i probably cant draw a perfect parallel; but what about smallpox? there is no denying that that smallpox vaccine bitch-slapped the affliction. it is essentially a non-issue this day and age, if we ignore some hollywood action flix.

if you had to take the vaccine today, would you?

i hope one day the flu vaccine becomes super effective. but as i understand it, it is a moving target. a fast one.
    https://thevaccinereaction.org/2017/...silver-bullet/

It's my understanding some illnesses faded out as well (scarlet fever, typhoid (making a comeback in the slums of LA?). What role did washing hands, modern plumbing/water supply, greater access to nutrition as well as modern medicine getting better at treating people when they do get sick (I'm no luddite and do appreciate many of the things modern medicine can do for us).

There is more than one flu virus and in addition viruses evolve. On top of that being exposed to an illness via vaccine does not go through the same mechanisms as natural exposure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    There is so much money in the flu. They could cure it like they have small pox, polio etc, a one time childhood vac, but it would cost the drug companies billions to not do this every year.
    I work in a hospital and we have to get the flu shot or can't work for the flu season. We used to just have to wear a mask, but now they suspend us if we don't have it by the end of november.
    Small pox, polio, etc, took more than one shot/sugar cube/etc. and weren't as effective as they are portrayed in the media. I find it hard to believe any company wants to put a product out that is openly acknowledged to be at best 60% effective and sometimes as low as 10% or 0%! The nasal spray flu shot a couple of years ago was 0% effective, they took it off the market for a year, and I think this year it's back with no new info to suggest it's anymore effective or safe as it was a couple of years ago.

The whole point is do some extra digging. Pharmaceutical companies run the CDC, FDA and are among the largest lobbies in congress and marketing spenders with the media. On top of that most of the safety studies the CDC and FDA refer to for food and drugs are actually conducted by the corporations themselves. Hell, sometimes the FDA and CDC don't even see the studies, they simply take the corp's word for it. These should all be red flags leading a person to want to know more about what's going on.

If the flu shot is so great why do they have to force medical workers to get it???

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post

It's my understanding some illnesses faded out as well (scarlet fever, typhoid (making a comeback in the slums of LA?). What role did washing hands, modern plumbing/water supply, greater access to nutrition as well as modern medicine getting better at treating people when they do get sick (I'm no luddite and do appreciate many of the things modern medicine can do for us).

There is more than one flu virus and in addition viruses evolve. On top of that being exposed to an illness via vaccine does not go through the same mechanisms as natural exposure.
    solid points!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    (knocking on wood - HARD!)

i dont remember ever having the real full blown flu. the worst, maybe 5-7 days of achey fever stuff..and that was maybe 6 years ago.

but never ever that 2-3 week of puking, squirting, fever..let me eat a bullet please, flu.

i am motivated to stay healthy. i have mild claustrophobia. the worst of it is when my nose stuffs up hard. i get panic attacks. sleep is not possible.

i am a handwashing fool, and i get the shot.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

If the flu shot is so great why do they have to force medical workers to get it???
    Because people are idiots. See recent Marin county whooping cough outbreak.

or everyone who is driving with bald tires.

mtbr member

Science is not a belief system.... get vaccinated.

screamer

It's my understanding some illnesses faded out as well (scarlet fever, typhoid (making a comeback in the slums of LA?).
    Scarlet fever is a severe form of strep throat caused by streptococcus bacterium not a virus, is still quite common (I had it once; it sucked!), and is treatable with antibiotics. Vaccines have been tested, but not sufficiently developed yet for FDA trials.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post

Science is not a belief system.... get vaccinated.
    I'd prefer to say "science is not a belief system... do some research and follow the evidence where it leads". The "get your flu vaccine!" are the dogmatic ones. It's reading beyond the articles that use scare tactics for or against this stuff that has lead me to change my views and follow the evidence that I'm aware of.