Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2017 Hard COEre 100 Saturday, October 7

fading away
    Sad to be missing it again.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 10-06-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hmm what do you think the turnout will be like this year?

fading away
    2016 saw a pretty good turnout. I am hoping this year will be just as good.

mtbr member
    Just me and Porkstacker...

middle ring single track
    A few notes:

Last winter's storms have altered some of the trails in the direction of "more technical" so be forewarned. In particular Cross Canyon Tr in the section along the creek, Bear Mountain Rd along the creek and Pacheco Creek Tr ditto along the creek.

Minor omissions in the 100M cue sheets as posted on the website; in the "shorthand" version Mahoney Meadows Rd is left out between Narrows Tr and Lost Spring Tr. (Following the descent of Willow Ridge Tr) In the "full" version the Narrows Tr portion is left out between WRT and MMR.

Minor quibble but Bear Mountain Rd starts where Blue Ridge Rd and Narrows Tr meet; so the route doesn't actually use Blue Ridge Rd per the cue sheet. The park map isn't real clear on this and it could be assumed that BRR runs up the Coyote Creek to Little Long Canyon but it does not.

October 7th is also when Coe has the Tarantula Festival at HQ; if you think you may be getting to HQ around noon you may want to purchase tickets for a meal (online ahead of time; when the link is active I'll post it here)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There is another alteration, this one put in effect by DPR. The route as is used to take a left at the fork going from Center Flats Rd out to Wagon Rd. The left/southernmost exit was removed and obliterated so the route will have to go right at that fork. Not a huge change but still, worth mentioning.

I like mtn biking, too
    Contemplating it! The 100K is awesome, highly recommended if you're not up for the 100M.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Cross Canyon Trail creek portion was worked on recently, so it ride-able again. Also some cairns were added to help riders locate "on ramps" and "off ramps" where the trail enters/exits the creek bed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

HardCoere Trilogy - training loops

I am contemplating this insanity as well, and downloaded the GPX to break it down in 3 separate loops, each from one entrance, but together covering every inch of the 100 miler. It serves as training, allows me to at least have traversed some trails once during the day before getting to them at night on Oct 7. It could also serve as a reality check, if I feel destroyed after one of these I shouldn't dream I can do 3 at once.

My question is really about how accurate is the posted GPX, or which changes have to be made on it to correctly reflect the HC100 2017. I'd hate to finish it but later be disqualified because I missed a turn :-)

Here are the 3 loops, if anyone can look or edit them, it would be appreciated. If the posted cue sheet is accurate, I can try to compare (assuming the trails are named in OSM Cycle).
    Maybe these loops are helpful to others, too.

HH: ridewithgps.com/routes/24972852

HQ: ridewithgps.com/routes/24972890

Dowdy: ridewithgps.com/routes/24972917

Thanks,
    Jose Camara

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    I am contemplating this insanity as well, and downloaded the GPX to break it down in 3 separate loops, each from one entrance, but together covering every inch of the 100 miler. It serves as training, allows me to at least have traversed some trails once during the day before getting to them at night on Oct 7. It could also serve as a reality check, if I feel destroyed after one of these I shouldn't dream I can do 3 at once.

My question is really about how accurate is the posted GPX, or which changes have to be made on it to correctly reflect the HC100 2017. I'd hate to finish it but later be disqualified because I missed a turn :-)

Here are the 3 loops, if anyone can look or edit them, it would be appreciated. If the posted cue sheet is accurate, I can try to compare (assuming the trails are named in OSM Cycle).
    Maybe these loops are helpful to others, too.

HH: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24972852

HQ: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24972890

Dowdy: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24972917

Thanks,
    Jose Camara
    Hi Jose,

A quick couple of comments...

On this one: Dowdy: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24972917 there is a slight change at mile 5:

Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    There is another alteration, this one put in effect by DPR. The route as is used to take a left at the fork going from Center Flats Rd out to Wagon Rd. The left/southernmost exit was removed and obliterated so the route will have to go right at that fork. Not a huge change but still, worth mentioning.
    Also, the Dowdy Ranch Visitor Center is closed for the season. You can, however, park at Bell Station on Hwy 152 and pedal to Dowdy.

I think it's really smart to do these pre-rides,
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    What Charlie said above. And the following:

On your HH route, you will want to stay on Cross Canyon trail at mile 17.8, avoiding the Kelly Cabin trail. Kelly Cabin is an overgrown nightmare right now. Just continue on Cross Canyon to Willow Ridge FR, go right, then right again on Coit FR. At the bottom of the hill, continue on Coit FR to get back on track. (Also avoid Kelly Cabin trail on your Dowdy Route at mile 12.5, just ride the reverse of the above to get back on track).

On the Dowdy route you will have to ride up/down from Bell's Station which adds 13 miles and 1600' of elevation gain (https://www.strava.com/segments/14227873). I suggest skipping the Willow FR/Rat Spring sub loop by turning right on White Take Spring at mile 16.8. Take this all the way to Pacheco Creek trail to shave 5 miles from your route.

The HQ route looks OK.

If you feel "destroyed" on any of these routes, that just means you are normal... there is still the 60 mile option on Oct 7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for both replies, I will try to edit the 100 mile route to reflect these changes and break it in 3 again considering the extra 13miles from Bells' Station.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I modified the routes following advice above, first editing the full GPX with the changes and checking the cues, then repartitioning them into ~40miles "reality check" loops. Here they are, maybe useful for others. Beware of the small shortcuts making the 3 loops out of the full 100mi route, not necessarily rideable, read on).

Insanity: 100mi, 20kft https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25409650
    HH: 41mi 7.5kft https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25335170
    HQ: 41mi 6.5kft https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25335182
    Bell: 37mi 6.2kft https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25332129

The distances and total climb are from RideWithGPS, which I find reliable for distances but typically underestimates climbs (likely some coarse set of elevation points or excessive smoothing) - for example Bear Mountain is perfectly rideable if you look at it there, grades up to 'only' 22%, while in reality it gets to wtf 36%. Anyone has ridden it up all the way? Compare the RWGPS https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25383046 with my Garmin dump partial https://ridewithgps.com/trips/178161...7CXoRQW8f41RI4. Explore RWGPS data, interesting how my power output linearly decayed from the bottom to the first "wall".

I followed cragnshag advice and avoided the "overgrown nightmare" of Kelly Cabin Trail, but fell right into the overgrown nightmare uphill called White Tank Trail. Some bushwacking involved (as in bushes whacking you, ducking into a vestige of trail inside some). Should have posted here for review before riding on Sunday, but tough, it did connect the white tank to the Harvey Puddle and to the leg back to HQ on the official route.

I labeled my activity in Connect and Strava as "CA Henry Coe HQ 41mi never again", as from mile 30 on I was cursing, asking "exactly why am I doing this?" and promising myself not to submit me to another torture. It could have been the 2hr sleep the night before, the stronger Kennedy climb the day before, the new saddle I am testing, the rear tires that have no more knobs in the center, the sun, the moon, the bear, but all just excuses. Truth is, I was just finding out I do not have the 3 balls required for the 100 miler.

Fortunately, next morning I was already planning how to 'beat this beast', the moving time wasn't so bad, the "you made it" sensation at HQ was great, forgot all about the pain. Regular daily ride didn't feel too bad, couple of PRs on Strava, even.

I might not have the 3 balls, but I seem to have the loose nut in the head to try admission into this club after all... :-)
    Last edited by zecamara; 10-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.

I like mtn biking, too
    I'm also thinking it would be fun (for some) to do the 100 miler as a 2 day bikepack expedition. I have a big event the weekend before, so not sure yet if I'm going to be up for it.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I'm also thinking it would be fun (for some) to do the 100 miler as a 2 day bikepack expedition. I have a big event the weekend before, so not sure yet if I'm going to be up for it.
    I like that. Breaking it up at Pacheco Camp would mean about 60 miles with 12k ft. Maybe during the backcountry weekend...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is there a good hotel close to the midpoint of the ride? I couldn't find anything on Yelp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I wil probably do the 100k route from HH to HQ, but return via Middle Ridge, Narrows, Lost Springs, Mahony Meadows, Grapevine and Anza. That Bear Mountain climb is too intimidating.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Maybe 3 days if hauling camping gear (at least for me).

Hotel Pacheco has been open in the past http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...oe-901085.html.

There's been talk of doing this again but we've run out of time for this year. (Special events take 60 days to schedule)

Maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Perhaps bribe a friend with a Levo to shuttle your tent/pad/bag/food/beer to Pacheco Camp (and take it all back out after you are done). You wouldn't want to tackle parts of the HC 100 laden with gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I did my second 'recon' run for the 100 miler, this time the Dowdy loop (actually From Bell Station, since Dowdy is closed). 39miles, 7500ft. I was surprised to get some Strava top 10, but then I realized that it is probably because 1-not many people go there, 2-many were from previous hard coeres, at mile 70+ and at night, comparing to my easy peasy daytime at mile 25.
    Loved the Dutch and Phoneline. Other than a few short >30% climbs, it was all much more civilized than the ride from HQ on Sunday.

One problem was that I could not locate a working faucet, sink, well, hose or any source of water in Dowdy camp. I will try to contact the rangers about it, but I was planning on water refills the easy way at HQ (buy cold from fridge) and Dowdy (hose or faucet). If Dowdy will be dry, I might have to take a filter and tablets, use Pacheco's 'drink at your risk' hose or perhaps some drying pond somewhere. All creeks that I crossed are dry.

Another thing I'm considering (opinions, please, from the veterans) is to start earlier, like 3AM, so I deal with darkness while rested instead of after 70, 80 miles of Coe. I see the first attempts started like that, is it too cold?

190lbs of climber
    Boo, I have to suffer through a wedding in Yosemite that day. I hear that place is the worst. I will be thinking about Bear Mountain fire road as I stare at the vertical walls. Have fun, everyone!
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    "One problem was that I could not locate a working faucet, sink, well, hose or any source of water in Dowdy camp".

The water spigot by the picnic tables (North of the bathroom) has always worked when I've been to Dowdy. If this is not working I'll stash a couple of gallon jugs of water at the picnic tables before the 7th. Paging Moe Ped or someone else with a key to the Bell's Station gate to check out the water situation...

"Another thing I'm considering (opinions, please, from the veterans) is to start earlier, like 3AM, so I deal with darkness while rested instead of after 70, 80 miles of Coe. I see the first attempts started like that, is it too cold?"

All the fastest HC100 finishers have started at first light/morning(630AM or thereabouts). The last 20 miles are fairly easy to follow and not technically difficult, so are no problem in the dark. For me, I think a good night's rest is essential so I can have a clear head to really enjoy the suffering. Starting off with only 4 or 5 hours of sleep would ruin me from the start.

190lbs of climber
    I will add that finishing in the dark/sunset can be a welcome respite from the heat of the day. I got a massive second (third?) wind last year once the sun went down.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    "One problem was that I could not locate a working faucet, sink, well, hose or any source of water in Dowdy camp".

The water spigot by the picnic tables (North of the bathroom) has always worked when I've been to Dowdy. If this is not working I'll stash a couple of gallon jugs of water at the picnic tables before the 7th. Paging Moe Ped or someone else with a key to the Bell's Station gate to check out the water situation...

"Another thing I'm considering (opinions, please, from the veterans) is to start earlier, like 3AM, so I deal with darkness while rested instead of after 70, 80 miles of Coe. I see the first attempts started like that, is it too cold?"

All the fastest HC100 finishers have started at first light/morning(630AM or thereabouts). The last 20 miles are fairly easy to follow and not technically difficult, so are no problem in the dark. For me, I think a good night's rest is essential so I can have a clear head to really enjoy the suffering. Starting off with only 4 or 5 hours of sleep would ruin me from the start.
    Moe's got an email in to staff who should have an answer; if I don't hear back by tomorrow I'll check on the 2 Dowdy Springs to see if they still have water. FWIW the horse trough in the parking lot is fed by the same system the faucets/fountains/buildings are connected to and is not spring water. Coe's springs are doing pretty good this year after the heavy winter rains so I'm expecting them to still have water.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Can anyone share a .fit or ,gpx file of the 100miles with a moving time around 16hrs? I'd like to use as a 'virtual partner' on my Garmin. I think I'd be more like 20hrs but nice to have a pace to aim to.

fading away
    Menso made that sht look so easy last year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I got a reply from Paul L. of PRA, and he says the system was shut down due to a leak, no ETA yet, he will let me know. I wish there were GPS coords for the springs, as I am totally unfamiliar to where they are, and at night it would be even harder. Maybe from Pacheco (mile 60) to the end a full 3L camelback plus 2 0.75L bottles would be enough?

Praying for a cloudy day...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hoping to come back for a second crack this year but, cracked and axle, broke a shock, cracked a clavical, broke a finger and recently broke a freehub that all started in May. With all that and the rains, it adds up to almost no riding this year....and i'm afraid, very afraid of Bear Hell Mt. I think I am out ;( this year, but good luck to all. Last year I rode alone except crossing paths with Shredchick and friend once or twice. Kinda a lonely out there, but categorically worth it. Maybe I'll start out and bail at the Narrows.
    Next year for sure.

mtbr member
    There is always the 100k route. Of course mama bear still makes makes her presence known.

I'm not confident that the park will fix the tap at Dowdy before Oct 7. They could wait until May 2018 and no one would notice. I'll leave a few gallons at the Dowdy picnic tables by the tap for thirsty HC 100 riders.
    Last edited by cragnshag; 09-22-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Grammar

mtbr member
    Always dreaming about doing this thing. Maybe next year if I can get my fitness together.

middle ring single track
    There is always the 100k route. Of course mama bear is still makes makes her presence known.

I'm not confident that the park will fix the tap at Dowdy before Oct 7. They could wait until May 2018 and no one would notice. I'll leave a few gallons at the Dowdy picnic tables by the tap for thirsty HC 100 riders.
    Park maintenance reports that they'll have it fixed by next Tuesday. Yes it was a broken pipe.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Another thing I'm considering (opinions, please, from the veterans) is to start earlier, like 3AM, so I deal with darkness while rested instead of after 70, 80 miles of Coe. I see the first attempts started like that, is it too cold?
    Though I am not a veteran I did use this on the 100K in the spring effectively. Either way take my info with a grain of salt. I will be employing this alpine start tactic on 100M. I am slow enough (~20hrs +) that I will have dark at both ends of the ride - or for a big chunk on one end. Since I want to finish before midnight, I figure starting at ~3am and splitting the dark portion into two chunks is the best option.

middle ring single track

Water's back on @ Dowdy

Just as promised the water is mostly back on:

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rswp_20170926_025.jpg
    The only faucet that wasn't functional was the last one down by the picnic area; I suspect there was a leak they couldn't find so they capped it.

Here's some of the Dowdy area water resources should the system go down again:

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rsdsc00432.jpg
    Pool at the base of the "Big Culvert" at Pacheco Crossing. The Hard COEre 100 goes right past this location.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rsdsc00437.jpg
    Dowdy Sulfur Spring, about half way up K-A Rd on the way to Dowdy.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rsdsc00440.jpg
    Dowdy Hayfield Spring off Mack's Corral Tr.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rsdsc00441.jpg
    Main Dowdy Ranch Spring; 400' due north of the VC flagpole.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-rsdsc00445.jpg
    Looking back towards the VC.

All of these springs had their troughs cleaned today, the water will look more presentable than shown in the photos!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Just as promised the water is mostly back on:

The only faucet that wasn't functional was the last one down by the picnic area; I suspect there was a leak they couldn't find so they capped it.

All of these springs had their troughs cleaned today, the water will look more presentable than shown in the photos!
    Thanks for checking into this. Those 100 miles just got easier, with civilized water...

Btw, Oct 7 is also IMBA's take a kid mountain biking day (https://www.imba.com/kids). Bring your 7 yr old along! :-)

Jose

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So, if I just show up the morning of the race will I be able to follow the GPX on the Hard Core site. I won't have time to link a bunch of tracks together. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Sean:

The full gpx from the site is all you need (maybe some water, food, tools, tube, etc). The 3 routes I made are loops from each entrance, just meant for my 'recon' rides.

Jose

middle ring single track
    The upper shortcut entrance to Timm Trail as on the GPX is barricaded; it's probably advisable to bypass Timm Trail altogether for the Hard COEre 100. It can still be ridden DH by the legit upper entrance down by the Upper Timm Spring (refer to official park map) but the first couple hundred feet are a miserable climb. A re-route with a mild climb is in the works but it might be a couple of years.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sean:

The full gpx from the site is all you need (maybe some water, food, tools, tube, etc). The 3 routes I made are loops from each entrance, just meant for my 'recon' rides.

Jose
    Thanks. I've only been to the park once for the race a few years ago. I was lost most of the time and expect the same this year.....

mtbr member
    It wouldn't be the end of the world to go down Spike instead of Timm. You end up in the same place a mile down the trail. Maybe we would lose a 1/4 mile and 50' of vertical gain from the race. You would have to ignore the voice in the GPS telling you that you missed the trail for the 2 minutes that it takes to get to the lower junction and back on course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The upper shortcut entrance to Timm Trail as on the GPX is barricaded; it's probably advisable to bypass Timm Trail altogether for the Hard COEre 100. It can still be ridden DH by the legit upper entrance down by the Upper Timm Spring (refer to official park map) but the first couple hundred feet are a miserable climb. A re-route with a mild climb is in the works but it might be a couple of years.
    Not to sidetrack the discussion but don't understand why the urge to close down a well liked trail. Also I understand the current route does not follow the map but why isn't it possible to redraw the map rather than make the trail go where the map had it?

mtbr member
    One more thing- near the end of the Center (not so) Flats fire road the GPS will tell you to turn left on a short trail that has been aggressively erased by laying down a bunch of dead trees near the Wagon junction. Instead, just continue straight on Center Flats until it ends on Wagon Road. You only lose about a quarter mile with this detour. The GPX will be updated with this change for 2018.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    Not to sidetrack the discussion but don't understand why the urge to close down a well liked trail. Also I understand the current route does not follow the map but why isn't it possible to redraw the map rather than make the trail go where the map had it?
    The shortcut has been slated for closure for maybe 5 years now; when Specialized Bikes held their special event at Coe a couple of weeks ago they were told specifically not to use the shortcut and then they did it anyway. This got staff's attention.

The reason the trail has the "Timm" name is it went to the Ernst Timm homestead (1890?) which is by the Upper Timm Spring. The shortcut bypasses this historical site and negates the whole reason the portion of Timm past the lower double track section was built in the first place. It's a multi-use trail; not a recreational DH bike trail.

We are seeking approval to improve on the very steep potion of the mapped route just above the spring. Reverting back to the mapped route adds a little over a half-mile to the JDT/SJT/TT loop; I say more distance is more fun!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So, what do we think. Any official start time? I'd like to leave in the light-ish for my vote.

mtbr member
    I take spike jones 80% of the time as it points more downhill and is a ripping good time. Timm you will peddle more buts its still fun as a change of pace.

mtbr member
    Starting time the last 3 years has been 630AM. Just barely enough morning light to get going without using lights. I try to get to HH by around 6AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I volunteer to update a ridewithgps route I had created with any needed changes and make it public. I just need to update the cues with the 'slight right', 'R then L' from the official cue sheet, then post for someone here to check it. I have this starting point (with standard R,L type cues at every possible fork, likely excessive)?

Can some veteran hard coerer give it a check? I put in the timm and wagon/center changes as suggested already.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25409650

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Only one change. Between 76 and 77, on Center Flats Rd, must take a right at the last fork as the previous trail to the left has been decommissioned.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have no problem telling which is the first fork on a trail. How exactly would I know which is the last fork on a trail... I'm going to be hopelessly lost again I'm starting to think.

mtbr member
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-new-detour.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Corrected the right at fork to wagon...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25409650

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The route seems a bit short of 100mi, any suggestions to lengthen it, other than loops in the parking lot at the end?
    Maybe from top of Bear Mountain go back to the bottom and climb it a second time? :-)

middle ring single track
    The route seems a bit short of 100mi, any suggestions to lengthen it, other than loops in the parking lot at the end?
    Maybe from top of Bear Mountain go back to the bottom and climb it a second time? :-)
    Yes, at either the start or finish respectively go up the JDT and down E-Conn or up E-Conn down JDT.

Will add about a mile and a half and 600' +/-.

More pie please
    Include the Timm Trail. It is part of the route as designed by Dirk.
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Include the Timm Trail. It is part of the route as designed by Dirk.
    The route designed by Dirk includes the Timm shortcut which has been closed off. The legit trail sucks unless you're on an e-bike. Maybe for next year if the steep part by the spring gets fixed.

See post #43.

mtbr member
    Well, for this year, Timm is out. I'm not going through barricades (we're not Specialized, lol).

No way will I feel like climbing Econn to JDT at the end of the ride, and climbing JDT to Econn at the beginning will still add 500' to the day...

I'm OK doing dirt loops in the parking lot if there is a beer in my hand...

More pie please
    ...I'm not going through barricades...
    Oh, I was suggesting the sucky legit route, you know, as warm up for Yellowjacket and stuff :-)

All the best to the riders. Weather looks pretty good and there's a nearly full moon coming up at 8:30 Saturday evening.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

More Torque
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW DETOUR.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	419.1 KB 
ID:	1160904
    Did a little bit of course scouting today, and there's no way you can take the old trail, unless you ride around the barrier and ride through the knee high grass. Be prepared to burn a match getting up to Wagon.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-stayright.jpg

Other random notes:

It was 40F and breezy at 7ish at the HH lot this AM, and my fingers did not unthaw until half way up Lyman. Having said that, once I hit that point, I was in a full summer kit (sleeveless, short finger gloves, bibs) and never looked back.

Consider how hard you want to attack the wall on Lyman; you will definitely be able to use the juice later, and digging deep early on may not be wise.

Other than that, be safe, have an awesome ride, and remember that a few days later, you'll be glad you did it!

-D

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-centerflats.jpg

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_5005.jpg

Name:	IMG_5005.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	1161233

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_5008.jpg

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_5000.jpg

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_5003.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_5007.jpg  

fading away
    Well, count me out I will NOT be able to make it. Yall have fun and stay safe and hydrated!

More pie please
    At one point during my Coe ride today, I left a shout-out to the riders:

I have no news to report, hope things are going well,
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I found it...
    Going slow. 82mi in, 20:40h Elapsed. I expect to finish around sunrise. Quitting after all this investment is not an option.
    Jose

mtbr member
    Way to go Jose!

middle ring single track
    Marc B on Strava reports:

"Bob ended being about 2.5 hours behind Alex. He broke his chain right after WRT, shortened it and then was unable to use his granny gear from then on. He was pretty beat up when we finally made it to Wagon/CF. Alex K finished at 9:45. The other Alex bailed at Pacheco Camp. Sean Allan skipped Burra Burra and went back down wagon after finishing CF. All we know from Jose is that he made it to CF around 3AM and was determined to finish."

Bravo!

Slowest Rider
    I've been following this thread quite closely, especially since Jose (zecamera) is a very good friend of mine. I got him into mountain biking a couple years ago when he was as big as me, to improve his health and have fun. Jose fell totally in love with MTB (as much or more than me) and rode every day. He lost a tremendous amount of weight and soon became much faster than me. He also quickly developed advanced skills on technical trails, a natural mountain biker really. I've never seen anyone improve anywhere near as fast as Jose did over the last couple years.

Jose was improving enough that I suggested he was approaching a sufficient level to finish this extreme ride, one of the most difficult. As can be seen here, his preparation was excellent, and his motivation is one of the strongest I've ever seen.

During the ride, I've been watching Jose via his SPOT tracks and occasional texts he gets out to friends. I'm overjoyed to say Jose finished this route around sunrise and got home OK. He's probably sleeping now. I'm eagerly awaiting his report after his rest.

I'm very impressed and in awe of Jose's extreme improvement over the last couple years, and his determination to see this to the finish!
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I've been following this thread quite closely, especially since Jose (zecamera) is a very good friend of mine. I got him into mountain biking a couple years ago when he was as big as me, to improve his health and have fun. Jose fell totally in love with MTB (as much or more than me) and rode every day. He lost a tremendous amount of weight and soon became much faster than me. He also quickly developed advanced skills on technical trails, a natural mountain biker really. I've never seen anyone improve anywhere near as fast as Jose did over the last couple years.

Jose was improving enough that I suggested he was approaching a sufficient level to finish this extreme ride, one of the most difficult. As can be seen here, his preparation was excellent, and his motivation is one of the strongest I've ever seen.

During the ride, I've been watching Jose via his SPOT tracks and occasional texts he gets out to friends. I'm overjoyed to say Jose finished this route around sunrise and got home OK. He's probably sleeping now. I'm eagerly awaiting his report after his rest.

I'm very impressed and in awe of Jose's extreme improvement over the last couple years, and his determination to see this to the finish!
    Very Cool. Thanks for sharing that!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, I pussed out. It was lower 90's yesterday and I was pretty worked by the time I got to the top of Bear Mountain. Even though I was nearly an hour in front of my previous time I knew that the wheels were going to fall off at some point, I hadn't been training to do 17000' in the first 70 miles of any ride, yet alone at Coe.
    I sat at Pacheco camp for 45 minutes hoping the will to live that had died coming down Pacheco Creek trail would return, alas it was only the fact that I didn't know a way out that made me continue. Kaiser Aetna Rd saw some weird leg crams I'd never had before. They were completely impossible to stretch out or make go away if I was riding and they could quite possibly be the most painful I've ever had.
    Sat another 45 minutes at Dowdey and planned my exit. I should have done Burra Burra as the shortcut I did was pretty ugly. By the time I got to the Center Flats/Wagon intersection my feet hurt so bad that I considered a bivy right there ( Note to self, no Sidis next time...)

I sure wish there was a way to lose Center Flats Rd, that is just the suck at that stage of the ride.

Rolled down Wagon/ Lyman-Wilson and was glad to be done. I still managed to get 86 miles and 18,000 feet of climbing on my E-Trex. That will have to be enough for this year.

Congrats to Alex K who uttered that there was no way he was doing that again. I can still hear him stating in his thick accent " there's just too much suffering..."

Bob gets the hard man award. He broke his chain at about 30 miles in and soldiered on the rest of the way with a 30x39 gear. Badass.

Congrats to everyone who started, you lived a good adventure yesterday no matter the outcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Suicide by bike - fail!

The short version:

Veni, vidi, bici.

Packed lunch, showed up on time, pedaled 100 miles (43385 revolutions), drove back home. A day like any other... :-)

---------------------------------------------------------
    The long, uncut rambling:

I got first place in stupidly heavy backpack - 25lbs is not fun going up. Gotta ask how others do with no backpack at all. I can see reducing some, but for my first ride I wanted to survive the night lost in the wilderness. :-)

Forgot to turn on my SPOT at parking lot, then stopped for a minute on the way to Lyman thinking I could just catch up during the climb. No way Jose. HR beyond red line, and they keep getting smaller and smaller...

7:01AM first light
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_070137_firstlight.jpg

Sunrise at top was a nice reward, also not chilly anymore, last glimpse of the peloton as they turn around some hill.

7:07AM Sunrise
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_070713_sunrise.jpg

Fun singletracks I had never been to, stopping to check on the VR 360 camera every so often, take a picture here and there.

7:34AM Up to the Moon:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_073414_to_the_moon.jpg

7:46AM Last glimpse of civilization
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_074614_civilization.jpg

8:16AM Nice singletracks
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_081635_trees.jpg

9:41AM Forces of Nature
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_094155_forcesofnature.jpg

Noticed my frame water bottle was gone by mile 17, not going to look for it. Thanks for the gracious souls that arranged rocks at creek crossings like curbs, very easy to spot the trails.

9:44AM Curbs
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_094418_rock_curbs.jpg

Finally recognized trails close to Hoover Lake, part of my HQ recon loop of weeks prior. In those 3 weeks Hoover Lake went from puddle to dry.

10:46AM Hoover "Lake"
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_104612_hoover.jpg

It was also much easier this time going down and up and down and up towards HQ - not only I knew the trail but didn't climb Bear Mountain on the way to it. Maybe the pack took an hour nap at HQ, maybe the chicken BBQ line was long, I would see someone coming down to Flat Frog as I was going up. Strava Flyby later showed I was 2hrs late for Alex and 1:30 for Bob. Definitely another league...

11:12AM The hills are alive...
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_111248_hillsarealive.jpg

12:04AM This trunk seems to be making an OK sign
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_120416_ok_trunk.jpg

Getting to HQ I was salivating for the BBQ Chicken I was grilling in my mind for miles, but sold out (next year pay attention to the numerous prepay postings about it). Had to do with a sourdough dinner roll I brought, rice krispies from the store, and had my first Gatorade ever. Refill 3L camelback, another two 1L bottles (that backpack was getting too light), walk around the Tarantulafest. The cheapskate in me gets satisfaction of the $2 I saved by parking at Hunting Hollow - these suckers paid $8 for the fest.

Off I go downhill to Flat Frog, which goes in the 'right' direction vertically too. Hobbs is civilized grade, but legs start threatening cramping if I extend them in a certain way - very odd, but pedaling in a certain way avoids the issue, so up I go to the long delight that is Middle Ridge descent, ignoring the voices in my head saying "you payin' for this downhill". Very happy at the bottom, legs got their rest and seem to be back in working order. Who's afraid of the big bad bear?

3:10PM Reddish trees downhill
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_151041_alameda.jpg

4:14PM What is that house on top of hill before Bear Mountain?
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_161404_da_house.jpg

Yet the temperature is nearing 100F in my Garmin, and water doesn't seem to be doing the trick, legs are back to pedal if I do perfect circles, I now am at the mouth of The Bear and find a little shade before I walk it up. Last time, on HQ recon loop, I was full of myself, went straight to it, cleared the first section thinking 'not that hard' until turned the curve and saw the real thing. This time I was going to eat and rest before hiking up.

4:29PM Bottom of Bear
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_162917_da_bear.jpg

At one point in the middle, a shady trail section had perfect grade (>30%) to lay on my back and nap for 5min. Continued on, some time actually on the bike, but limited to 15% grade - I was certainly running with less cylinders, now estimating 22 to 24hrs elapsed time, but not quitting. First, because quitting from there would mean figuring out some shortcut back that in my inexperience could turn out to be a bushwacking nightmare and instead of the 50 miles would be 30 back to the car - I might as well serve the rest of my sentence. Second, I would HAVE to come back another day to finish it.

Refreshing walk-in-the park descent to Mississippi lake where a picnic table was reserved for me. Eat another Boudin sourdough dinner roll, another rice krispy, watch a camper set his tent by the lake, sky already with tints of orange.

6:42PM Mississipi Lake
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_184221_sunsetmissisiippi.jpg

7:39PM Giants
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_190739_giants.jpg

Heritage trail was fun at daylight, but now with handlebar light is a whole new experience.

7:38PM Blair Witch Biking Project
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_193810_blair1.jpg

Crossing a dry creek into Pacheco Trail makes for a grass-eating faceplant as I misjudged the entry ramp and the bike threw me off like a horse refusing an obstacle. I was cleaning my teeth of dry grass pieces for a half mile along the trail. Luckily I knew how Pacheco was bumpy at points and remembered one not quite filled rut and watched for it, avoiding another potential earth kiss.

Got to Pacheco camp, no one around but a dark frog running from the light.

8:06PM The Prince of Pacheco
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_200625_theprince.jpg

Up Coit Rd I remember Menso's prophecy - sunset really resets at least part of the leg batteries, they stop rebelling and I am not walking any little grade now.

Looking forward to some singletrack, found the CORE 100 rock art at mile 61, really a treat! Not alone anymore, some ancient civilization honored the same Gods! Thanks Charles (hope to ride with you sometime).

8:28PM You are in the right track...
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_202835_rockart.jpg

8:29PM Moonrise, beautiful red a phone camera can't capture
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_202947_moonrise.jpg

Phoneline was nice but front brake started to squeal - I know that sound, it says "change pads 20 miles ago". Oh well, let's brake with the rear a bit more. Somehow the last time I was at Dutch's it was a lot faster (daylight, mile 20 or so from Bell Station), but interesting Blair Witch's MTB Project ride. Thanking the Hard COEre founding fathers for the GPX file, I was able to find where the heck the trail went a couple of times.

10:23PM Eerie shadows at night
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_222305_blair2.jpg

10:40PM Yellowjacket Pond
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171007_224040_twomoons.jpg

Kaiser Aetna (be wary of a road named after hospitals or health providers) was now justifying all the ill reputation I didn't understand the last time I was there (again, daylight, fresh legs), and 'only 2 miles' to Dowdy is my motivation. Only 1.8 miles. Only 1.7miles... Replace first light battery. Finally downhill to picnic tables, water is working, it feels like dinner table was set specially for me (thanks Moe Ped), and I enjoy my last dinner roll and corn pops like a feast from Heaven (hopefully not the Last Supper). I close my eyes for a minute while munching, but GPS insists it was over an hour... :-)

Off I go to Burra Burra (thinking the burro is I for being here at 1AM) and get to the jewel of my Strava, 6th overall on Center Flats on my recon ride (of course daylight, mile 10 or so from Bell Station recon ride), what the heck, who made it steeper? Is my shift cable breaking, granny not engaging? Walk much of it, glad to hear phone notifications, another little island of cell signal and I post to MTBR a little sign of life. My goal of finishing under 24hrs is now looking bad, I blame on the 1hr long eye blink at Dowdy. Still motivated, by sheer stubbornness and too-far-to-quit-now logic.

2:49AM The Hare (as seen from Tortoise's camera)
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171008_024949_hare.jpg

2:55AM The Fox (all fauna coming out now that is cooler)
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171008_025529_fox.jpg

Sunrise rehearsing somewhere, no need for light, it seems that I am indeed finishing this. The last 500ft climb with some >20% sections at mile 95 seems cruel, but whatever the last climb was it would be in bad taste. The descent all the way to the pot of gold is a pleasure, even though it would be faster with working brakes (by now the rear is gone, I can feel the rotor holes on the lever), as non intuitive as that sounds. At the bottom of the last descent, I can hear Chariots of Fire at every turn, tum tum tum tam dam at every creek crossing, standing up and pedaling like the Italian peloton is just behind me. It was a long day (and night) for that little high, but totally worth it!

6:35AM Sunrise (again!)
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171008_063500_sunrise.jpg

Thanks to all that helped creating Hard COEre 100, curating it, scouting, maintaining the trails, getting water back to Dowdy, posting advice, inspiring pictures and blogs, cheering in all forms (specially rock art). It might be a small number of 'dysfunctional fellows', but as Lennon would say "I'm not the only one".

Guilty schadenfreude learning that I podiumed. Any other ride and this tortoise would never have had a chance among the hares... :-)

Everest Bonus has been proposed, but I'd point out that the Hard COEre 100mi already surpasses an Everest climb by a lot (11.5kft from base to top is what I could find, but couldn't locate a Strava log, GPX file or even a climb description with actual climb totals), and is even more than altitude difference base to summit of Denali (19.4kft). And applying the "Coe Factor" to the almost 20kft we even go beyond the traditional sea-level-to-summit 29kft. And they have it easy, no 100F, sherpas to carry their stuff, better looking camps than Pacheco, etc. Of course we do get a bit spoiled with oxygen... :-)

Brake pads autopsy (notice how the piston made through the rear pad aluminum, all eaten by the rotor)
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171008_163742_padsgone.jpg

Notes for next year (where I will be 50% more experienced as a mountain biker):

Lighter backpack.
    Smarter more compact efficient food, way more.
    Magic potions not water.
    Maybe good patch kit (for tubeless?) instead of two tubes.
    A half dozen links of chain and two pairs of magic links instead of full spare chain.
    Bring hanger along, they don't help back in the garage.
    Sleep more than 3 hours the night before.
    Leave coffee in car, better to drink it ice cold (people pay for that!) than snooze for 2s (equals one lane to the right) on 101 again.
    Maybe start at 2AM for a chance of joining the finish party, also nice to have "pacers" come by every so often and speed me up for a bit.
    New brake pads no matter how they look.
    Turn SPOT on at parking lot.
    Neuralyze 2017 suffering.
    No helmet VR cam, too much stopping to pamper it.
    Maybe rent a light bike, no need for the weight of my cheap trusty FS.
    TCX file with earlier turn cues and useful info (faceplant ahead, next top at 2155ft, sunset here last year, 100F here last year, stop complaining). TCXs on Garmin are better because I can scroll to see how far a certain trail is and the Edge doesn't try to make its own route from OSM.
    WTB Pure saddle was perfect, best pick out of the 13 in test ride set.
    Shorter posts. Write, then cut 90%. Cut to half of that.

Jose

Slowest Rider
    The short version:

Veni, vidi, bici.

Packed lunch, showed up on time, pedaled 100 miles (43385 revolutions), drove back home. A day like any other... :-)

Shorter posts. Write, then cut 90%. Cut to half of that.

Jose
    Wow Jose! What an amazing effort.

I loved every bit of your post. Very apt and amusing. I could feel your pain and push. Nice pictures too. Do not cut it ever. People can choose not to read parts as desired. If you made the effort to write it up carefully, post it. It's all good.

Excellent ride and post, Jose!

Oh, and please get more sleep next time.. (Ha Ha at next time.)

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Wow Jose! What an amazing effort.

I loved every bit of your post. Very apt and amusing. I could feel your pain and push. Nice pictures too. Do not cut it ever. People can choose not to read parts as desired. If you made the effort to write it up carefully, post it. It's all good.

Excellent ride and post, Jose!

Oh, and please get more sleep next time.. (Ha Ha at next time.)
    What Larry sez!

Glad you're considering a repeat!

mtbr member
    Seriously entertaining posts here. Jose, that was poetry. Thanks for writing that up.

Cheers to life!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

middle ring single track
    4:14PM What is that house on top of hill before Bear Mountain?

Name:	20171007_161404_da_house.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	1161633
    That belongs to one of the park's in-holders.

If you remember the news story of a guy who lost a bunch of original Einstein papers during the 2007 Lick Fire; that's the guy.

Obviously he has rebuilt the cabin the papers got burned up in. I think the person who started the fire had to pay (or their insurance did) $750k for the loss of the cabin and contents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the info. Is there a book or website with the history behind the trails, their names, interesting portions of the park, etc.?

I brought back 20GB of a 24hr timelapse (1/sec) VR video. Need to process it, extract some frames at least and upload to Google Street.

Maybe further compacted to a minute or two will be watchable. Not sure about the night portions, though, they don't do justice to the park.

I wish going the route was more reversible - sure The Bear will be way easier, Center Flats just the same, but many long descending singletracks would be gone, I think it would not work ccw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Web site has been updated with this year's results including Strava link.

Whether you finished or attempted, major kudos. This is one serious ride that most people won't even contemplate doing myself included. You have my utmost admiration.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hey I'm the Alex that bailed at Pacheco. Good to meet some of you folks on the trail....you're all beasts!

In retrospect I believe my mode of failure was improper management of electrolytes/water coming over Bear Mountain. I was dry heaving and couldn't eat/drink without getting really naseous by the time I hit Pacheco. Once I chose to exit I couldn't move for more than 5-10 minutes before getting weak/nauseous and needing to stop. When home and replenishing I wasn't able to put a full meal down until Sunday night. Fitness wise I dont even seem sore though so the whole thing confuses me a bit.

Anyone had similar issue and know if more electrolytes were the solution in your case?

Either way it was awesome to attempt and have made progress compared to the last time I tried.

Thanks to the trail support for the water and thanks to the end of ride food! And thanks to all you riders for the inspiration!

Can't wait for my next attempt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I know my usual 'just bring one bottle along for the ride', not a sip out of it and no food for any <3hr rides wouldn't work there, and being my maiden voyage I drank a lot, carried 5.75L of water (Yes, that was about half of the extra weight, 12.6lbs) and just some Hapi Mixed Crackers and sourdough dinner rolls for something salty. Didn't want to lift that little cover of the SPOT emergency button. Gatorade at HQ probably helped, but I am dying to hear from the veterans what is a proper nutrition and drink to carry. I saw Menso's recap but it looked like he was restricted to sponsor's products (it apparently works). And how the heck you go without a backpack - the only soreness in my body was my shoulders and back from the humpback biking.

Maybe they stash bottles and roasted chickens behind bushes, instead of carrying it :-)

Don't wait - creeks are still dry, temperatures are getting better. Pay your $6 entrance fee, go for another loop.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Ok interesting to hear. That's a lot of water! I had 4liters on board leaving HQ. Had small amounts electrolytes in half of my water and had consumed a tablet worth at HQ, but thinking it maybe wasn't enough.

Ya when I woke feeling good this morning my first thought was I'm going back in a week or two....but with a new baby I get one to two of these rides a year max....and I'm already at two this year....

mtbr member
    I have yet to carry a pack on the HC 100, because I hate wearing a pack when I ride and I would most likely take stuff I don't really need. I try to keep the stuff to a minimum and have it all on the bike. It helps to have the SWAT compartment in the frame to stash most of my stuff. I have 2 bottles on the handlebar and one on the frame, about 2 liters total. Not enough water as I need/want between HH and HQ, but OK for other legs. I chug about a liter right before the start at HH and also at HQ, PC, and Dowdy before leaving there. From PC to Dowdy and from Dowdy to HH I only fill 2 of the bottles. I have one bottle with gatorade at the start and at each of the water stops. I get the nausea and cramps, of course, but I think it's more heat related than anything else. On really hot days like Saturday, you get cooked no matter how much you drink. Last year was 15 deg cooler. I had the same amount of water (but more fitness) and I finished 5 hours sooner. If I ride the HC 100 again on a day over 90 deg, I might bring a 4th disposable bottle in a biking jersey.

OK, here is way too much information:

Here's what I bring:
    -1 ultralight tube (riding tubeless, very rarely get a flat at Coe)
    -1 patch kit
    -basic lightweight tool kit including chain breaker and about 6 links (except this time I forgot to refill my spare links and it cost me my granny gear after WRT DH. Stoooopid!)
    -One small bike light- a Lumina 700. Good for 4 hours on low. I turn it off when I hike-a-bike or ride really slow up hill so I don't run out of battery life.
    -pack of pills: 4 Advil, 4 Naproxen, 4 Tylenol, 8 mix n' match opioids.
    -mini bic lighter
    -4 iodine tablets (I use three at Pacheco camp to treat water and one for backup in case I have to drink pond scum elsewhere in the Park.
    -2 granola bars, 6 bite-size spam musubi rice balls, gatorade powder enough for 3 bottles. I'm usually too nauseous to eat much anyway, so I don't run out of food.
    -1 phone (pixel 1st gen) on airplane mode the whole time, no extra battery. Still had 30% after 18 hours running Strava.
    1 paper towel, just in case...
    -I wear a long sleeve lightweight white biking shirt and "loose" lightweight white compression tights under my shorts. No need to bring sunscreen and keeps the PO off my skin. I slather on sunscreen on my face and neck in the morning before departing.
    -lightweight windbreaker tied around my waist.

Everything above fits in the SWAT compartment, small frame bag, or my shorts pockets.

No other clothing or comfort items. If I get stuck out overnight and I need to get warm as a last resort, I can always make a emergency small fire to stay warm (following proper procedures/tactics to keep from burning the place down). Easier and safer are using the many concrete crapper buildings scattered around the park for a quick bivy. Probably they would not smell too bad because they see very little use.

My working theory is that every extra pound you take (that isn't strictly necessary to get you to the finish line) is an extra pound of cargo you are hauling to the top of a 20,000' mountain and will greatly contribute to your suffering. When you think about it, you don't really need much. From rock climbing lore "if you bring bivy gear, you will use it". Going light has it's risks, but the risk is not life-or limb, maybe just you don't finish or you sleep in a one-room concrete hotel, but you won't starve, freeze, or dry up in one day. And if you do get truly stuck out there, the locals will come find you within a day.

More pie please
    Very low humidity on Saturday. The Cordoza Ridge weather station recorded 20-30%. I dont know the science of hydrating in low humidity conditions but on my meager Coe ride, I felt thirsty all the time which is unusual for me.

Jose, loved the write-up and photos. And, man, you are tenacious !!!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bob, thanks for spelling all that out, it certainly helps. Did you have a FS bike? What brand and model of frame bag you use?

I don't mind much having the camelback to drink from, it is just that I was about 15lbs above the dumb level. (Hey if I had started 3AM I could have given you a few links of the 106 I had - moron here was carrying a full chain!).

Cloudy in the bay area today, if it wasn't for work, kid to school etc. I was so tempted to go for another run: 20F cooler, 20lb lighter, new brake pads...

When do creeks start to fill and become impassable - at first rains?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Orange Seal Forever! Tubeless tubeless tubeless...

Look at this little souvenir that I brought back from my HQ recon ride, only noticed the day after at home:

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20170919_185757_stubby.jpg

When you pull it out:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20170919_185941_long.jpg

Yes, that tire was asking to be replaced for hundreds of miles. I said I was cheap...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Very low humidity on Saturday. The Cordoza Ridge weather station recorded 20-30%. I dont know the science of hydrating in low humidity conditions but on my meager Coe ride, I felt thirsty all the time which is unusual for me.

Jose, loved the write-up and photos. And, man, you are tenacious !!!

///Charlie
    I know I was at the edge of hydration all day. I'd gone through 100oz. at China Hole, Pacheco and Dowdy each. I didnt pee till 11 pm Sat. night, that tells me I was not getting enough though I was already pushing the nausea quotient and probably wouldn't have done myself any good by drinking more. I'm type 2 diabetic so sports nutrition and me don't go well together which makes for a bland race diet Truthfullly, in the end I was just really tired of pushing my bike....

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Interesting to hear others having nausea also. For me it seems like such a fine line between being nauseous and still able to get *enough* water and calories in the belly vs. being nauseous and dry heaving and not able to get any fuel in. So fine a line that I have a hard time safeguarding against going over it...

Oh well so it is. There's always next time!

mtbr member
    Hey Jose, bike is a FS (2016 Stumpjumper). Frame bag is a Lezyne. Not very big, holds about 4 power bars or 1 granola bar and 4 rice balls. It comes with velcro straps, but tends to rotate around the top tube, so I wrap a couple of strips of electrical tape around the velcro.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_20171011_202357.jpg

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_20171011_202717-1-.jpg
    The SWAT compartment goes all the way the the steerer tube and holds 4x the volume of the frame bag. I ground down the ends of the bolts holding the bottle cage to the SWAT door to make more room behind it.

2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-img_20171011_202418.jpg
    SWAT multi tool next to the rear shock

Alex- I was nauseous each time I rode the HC100. More so on the hotter days and when I was not as fit. For me it comes with heat+exertion and starts at about 7 hours in. Then it is a very fine line with drinking sips of water and measured exertion to keep from puking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone has a good link for the 29kft Coe Everest Challenge GPX?
    Just curious about the route, I haven't gone mad.
    Maybe post it at the hardcoere site?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

The Relapse...

As Forrest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does".

Armed with a much improved backpack (15lbs less, mostly from 'only' 3L water instead of 5, no second 10Ah USB battery), a forecast of a cooler day (clouds!) and an early start (2AM), I thought it wouldn't be hard to 'beat me' in a revenge ride. Just stopping less should do it.

Yes, stupid is as stupid does.

I am not going to do another detailed recap, just some pics with intercalated comments.

At Lyman-Willson, a cacophony of voices in my head started, "you idiot", "go back now", "let me off this bus", "Coe will always win, revenge is futile", and on and on. From mile 10 or so it was real loud, and I was seriously considering going back to the car with my tail between my legs. Fortunately reason was squelched and I pressed on.

Lyman Ghosts:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_023914_lyman.jpg

City Views this time:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_033341_city.jpg

Riding to HQ in the dark was definitely slow until natural lights before the airstrip allowed me to see for more than a couple of seconds of trail ahead. I was OK with that, as shaved off a bit of time on from "leg 1" of Oct 7.

First lights:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_063447_firstlight.jpg

Sunrise - clouds! clouds!
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_065321_sunrise.jpg

Reflections at China Hole:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_080855_chinahole.jpg

The gentle and beautiful climb to HQ:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_083731_redtrees.jpg

I was surprised to find the HQ store open (their website seems to imply weekends only), it allowed for cold spring water (the bottled type, not Coe's your-horse-might-refuse spring water) my second ever Gatorade and some sweet treats. A lengthy conversation with the friendly ranger Jim, who recalled me from Oct 7 (granted, anyone with a Gear 360 VR camera on top of their helmets might be a memorable sight, like Mik Kanrokitoff from Tintin). Going at night also makes for very little water expenditure, only 50oz HH to HQ.

Mic Kanrokitoff had a device that allowed him to communicated with aliens, telepathy, mind control etc.:
    Name:  Kanrokitoff.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  60.7 KB

The descent from HQ si always a blast, Flat Frog and the interminable Middle Ridge, rest them legs in preparation for the sacrifice. No cramps this time, and I go and clear the 'mere mortals' first portion of The Bear, followed by the mandatory struggles to not slide back down on loose rocks. Weather proved to be a meteorologists' version of bait and switch - it is still 102F at the bottom of Bear, the peak of the day. Still, not having the sun seeking you the whole ride made a huge difference, the early start is definitely a good strategy on hot days.

Temperatures on Oct 7(blue) and Oct 18:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-temperatures.jpg

The Bear, waiting for today's first human sacrifice:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_114441_bear.jpg

Coyote Creek has some water?
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_105118_creekwater.jpg

First glimpse of Mississippi Lake is always a relief, means the worse is over (or at least the first half, the one with the bear), downhill to pit stop:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_125957_mississippi50.jpg

In person it is even better:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_131645_mississipi.jpg

Short pit stop, some Hapi asian mixed crackers, some Corn Pops, glad the sky isn't turning orange this time. Pacheco Creek Trail is even fun, with its many traps and easy creek crossings this time - last time it was faceplant at the entrance, at night.

The best rated hotel in the park:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_143334_pacheco.jpg

At Pacheco I don't bother with the water except for washing, cooling my noggin' and really enjoy the Dutch trail, a whole different animal in daylight.

The Dutch:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_160009_dutch.jpg

Yellowjacket Pond:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_163113_yellowjacket.jpg

Wildfires in the North are less of a concern (air quality wise) but the new fires in Santa Cruz were an air quality concern, with AirNow predicting unhealthy levels in Henry Coe. "Avoid strenuous activities" - this doesn't really fall into that category, does it?

Actual air quality map on Oct 18:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-airquality.jpg

Smoke from fires setting the reddish particulate obscuring mountains:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_175838_smoke.jpg

Glad to be at the bottom of Kaiser-Aetna (would prefer to be at the top, sure, but gotta pay) still predicting a 20 to 21h total time. Pedal it to Dowdy, weirdly the 2.0 miles seem to be much shorter (maybe they measure to the park office? more on this at the end). A refreshing pit stop with more crackers, sour bread, corn pops, water refill (3.5L this leg) and off to Burra.

One witness to my madness:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_180431_tarantula.jpg

Finally the sun is calling it quits but I seem to have 25miles to go. Now projecting 21.5 to 22hrs, could put me after midnight and negate the '100 miles on one day', so I try to enlist some extra energy and beat my Center Flats PR. I am not a Stravaholic, just use it to compare to my own times of a year ago, humbly put me in my place far far from the real athletes out there, but it is satisfying to see me shaving 3 min off the time I did on my Bell Station recon ride (at mile 10 or so, not 75). Most of the climbs are doable by pedalling downhill, you realize when you can see far ahead.

Sun calling it quits:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-20171018_181549_sunset.jpg

Things start to take a dive towards over 22h, projecting from distance left, lots of crawl-a-bike sections, sleep deprivation (not depravation, that's another thing entirely) that is making me dozing off at the wheel - afraid to wake up at bottom of some cliff. The odd thing is that the TCX cues distances, plus the current travel, adds to some 95 miles only. Desperation sets - did I miss some trail, is this all going to be for nought? I am confident there were only two "off course" warnings from the Garmin, and both before 100ft and promptly backtracked. On the plus side, seeing the 'last insult' climb at mile 90 is great, means under 21h and around 11pm finish is more likely. Still puzzled by the missing 5 miles.

I finish and just in case go for a few up and downs (4% that doesn't even register in the Coe scale) on the asphalt access road - not in mood for any more dirt road. Progress is being slow, temperature is freezing, vision is double, mind is fuzzy, and I call it quits at mile 97.2. It must be a glitch, I reason. Gladly, Strava shows 102 miles after this extra, so I go and split it leaving just one small road section. 20:58 is the verdict, same day finish. If it was a Tarantula Fest day, I'd qualify for some leftover soup.

Oct18: https://www.strava.com/activities/1237844664

Oct 7: https://www.strava.com/activities/1221708463

I plan to investigate the discrepancy further (initial comparisons showed a gradual error, not any missing trail), with some theories:

1. Higher tire pressure making for larger stride, while GPS uses the last calibrated value. I went from my usual 24psi up to 30psi trying for a little rolling edge. My money is on this.

2. Speed sensor battery dying - missing speed records? Weird that Garmin wouldn't replace those with GPS distances, but who knows? I will convert the fit files to csv and take a good look.

3. The universe is shrinking.

4. I subconsciously cheated a trail off (co(mpare of both tracks disproved it)

The strategy will be:

1. Ride a fixed rod stretch with various tire pressures and without a speed sensor (for rough estimate of length).
    2. Convert with fitfilerepair tool and examine speed entries, distances of similar segments
    3. Check latest astronomic data :-)
    4. Ask someone to check the tracks (I might subconsciously be preventing me from detecting it) :-)

In any case, I hope I deserve an update to the hardcoere100.org table.
    If not, at least I get the Amnesia Grand Prize, for doing it again in less than 2 weeks.

Looking for people with a wedding in Tahoe early October 2018 to befriend in time...

Jose
    Last edited by zecamara; 10-19-2017 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    2 completions in one month definitely put you in a category all by yourself!

Web site updated, you earned it. See you next year.

190lbs of climber
    It's likely just GPS error in canyons and on switchbacks. It's very common for strava to add 2-3% to long ride, using whatever smoothing algorithm they use.

Congrats on the crazy double-up! Most people take a year or more to forget the pain and convince themselves that a ride like this is worth doing again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would agree with GPS data alone, but with a ANT+ speed sensor, velocity and traveled distance would in theory be derived from the sensor instead, ignoring the GPS. Since the sensor relies on a pre-calibrated travel per revolution (manually entered or automatically set by counting revolutions while watching GPS distance in many Garmin units), deviation from actual will depend on tire wear, pressure, rider weight, etc. Best practice might be to calibrate weekly, pre-ride for best accuracy. Kind of negates the usefulness of the sensor, but for units with weak GPS, under heavy tree cover, the wheel is a much more reliable yardstick. I've seen the Edge 1000 retrace a trail over 50ft away from it.

I will run more in depth tests, but a quick one showed a large difference between distance traveled with a 29psi and 14psi tire, same exact course.

For the real picky, the wheel also measures longer distances in high grade climbs (as it measures the hypothenuse, not the horizontal gps difference), which in Coe isn't insignificant (20kf is near 4 miles). For the real real picky being on the bike or not also affects the wheel travel per rotation (which in Coe happens more than anywhere else).

I will test tire pressure, sensor x GPS results and post in a new thread at some point.

mtbr member
    Fantastic 2nd go, solo. You've got stones!

Don't sweat the GPS, Strava on the phone is close enough. Save more weight by leaving the Garmin and wheel sensors at home or put it on the road bike instead

190lbs of climber
    What I mean is that the anticipated 100 miles is based on GPS from previous rides and/or ridewithgps.com maps that aren't fully ground-truthed, so it makes sense that your speed sensor shows a different accumulation of distance over such a long ride. Provided it's calibrated for your particular tire, I trust it more than GPS and digitized maps. Your observation about the tire pressure is interesting though.

Slowest Rider
    Fantastic 2nd go, solo. You've got stones!

Don't sweat the GPS, Strava on the phone is close enough. Save more weight by leaving the Garmin and wheel sensors at home or put it on the road bike instead
    Yea, at our company, we call him "No-Half-Way Jose"

And if you think I'm a nerd, Jose is the Uber-nerd.
    For instance: Reducing life-critical water by half - hum, OK; Get rid of the 3D 360 degree helmet camera- NO WAY!
    The HQ ranger must see it as the new beenie propeller head.

Don't worry, Jose will soon have that distance figured out to a few decimal places.

I told him to just add the four miles of vertical (which is certainly harder) to get over 100 miles - 97H + 4V. But he argues, Nooo... the tangent doesn't really add directly. (Although the GPS might be just horizontal and the tire does the tangent as Jose says, again only a factor at Herny Coe.)

middle ring single track
    Congrats on another epic ride!

RE air miles vs ground miles (plus the Coe factor) most GPS will take into account true length traveled and will log as such. FWIW the original 100 mile track is only 90.4 "flat"* miles per GE elevation profile. Which works back out to 100 if you add 2X the climbing distance in miles (what goes up must also come down!)

To figure out the arc lengths of Coe's ups and downs is above my pay grade.

As mentioned, GPS is notorious for short cutting routes with lots of switchbacks. An accurately calibrated odometer is best.

(* = not as in "flat earth society")

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Earth was a much simpler place when it was flat, no? Damn Greeks!

Now spherical distances, radius, elevation would be the 'simple' calculation. Throw in ellipsoids, geodesic distances, WGS84, altimeter and survey elevations, and you are sure to never know the actual answer.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

I am certain to have months of fun with the collected data: 89k records on the first, 75k on the second fit file. Total GPS distance was 100.47mi from speed sensor and 99.79mi from fitfilerepair utility (vincenty formula) on 10/7 ride, and 95.77mi, 100.23mi on 10/18 as uploaded to strava (only 94.60mi, 98.83 without the extra hot springs rd).

Sample records in csv (bear attack):
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-bearattack.jpg

I've done a ride where I forgot my helmet but would never do one without my gps, heart strap, power meter, sensors galore; if I didn't record it, it didn't happen! :-) Nerds...

I will certainly explore this further (without boring everyone else that enjoys a bike ride just because), but the quick lesson, for me, the main takeaway from doing two sufferfests is the proper use of the speed sensor - calibrate!

1. Garmin Edge 1000 is not as good under heavy tree cover as other units (Etrek better in that situation). Way larger positional errors with weaker signals. Canyons, sattelite visibility affects all units, your cellphone, etc. but Edge 1000 is particularly further affected by foliage. Very repeatable on open skies.

Manzanita point, GPS crumbs, notice how coming out of tree cover make trails coincide again:
    2017 Hard COEre 100  Saturday, October 7-edge1000tracks.jpg

2. Normal GPS coordinates, computed at every second, will underestimate traveled distances on curves, switchbacks, etc. Small errors, normally unless you are going up and down John Nicholas, Mt Um or similar switchback heavy trails.

3. GPS wander while stopped might inflate traveled distance a little, if not filtered. Edge seems to filter reasonably.

4. The speed sensor sole purpose is to eliminate the errors above turning your bike into a rideable surveyor's wheel, which works beautifully but has to be used properly otherwise it just brings a different kind of error, which can be potentially much larger than what it is supposedly eliminating. If you don't recalibrate (riding on a preferably flat, straight section with gps in 'auto') frequently or at least when wheel stride changes (tire pressure, tire wear, new tires, rider weight, etc.), you are better off without it.

fading away
    Dude seriously WTF, you did the Hard Coe 100 twice in one month?!!!? You are a badass!!!

mtbr member
    Congrats Jose! Had no idea there were still folks stupid enough to ride this craziness that we stupidly came up with all those years ago!

Almost makes me want to have another spin around the course ... almost!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Stupid is as stupid rides...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That belongs to one of the park's in-holders.

If you remember the news story of a guy who lost a bunch of original Einstein papers during the 2007 Lick Fire; that's the guy.

Obviously he has rebuilt the cabin the papers got burned up in. I think the person who started the fire had to pay (or their insurance did) $750k for the loss of the cabin and contents.
    Any idea how big that house is? I've looked down on it, from Eagle Pines (above and east of Arnold Horse Camp), and it looks quite small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How are the water crossings in April, any impassable? Thinking of a spring Hard Coere, maybe during backcountry weekend?

middle ring single track
    How are the water crossings in April, any impassable? Thinking of a spring Hard Coere, maybe during backcountry weekend?
    Unless an unusually heavy storm system goes through just prior the creeks should be passable but you may get wet feet. Something like 20+ crossings, right???

Slowest Rider
    Unless an unusually heavy storm system goes through just prior the creeks should be passable but you may get wet feet. Something like 20+ crossings, right???
    Yeah, one Back Country Weekend, I did much of the Hard Coere route, but over a couple days, camping with others at BCW. I indeed crossed lots of flowing creeks.

I had the 'smart' idea of taking two pairs of shoes and socks, one 'dry' and using one 'wet' pair for creek crossings. (Some wade through barefoot, but that could be hazardous.) Unfortunately, on the very first creek crossing on Coit Rd soon after the entrance, the creek was about 2' deep and I endo'd on a submerged rock, causing me and all my pack to go completely under. For the rest of the trip I now had two pairs of 'wet' shoes.

On future trips, I instead just kept riding with wet shoes. Changing socks doesn't help as the shoes just make them wet again. My feet warm up and so it's not bad even on long rides of many hours. I just have wrinkled feet for a few hours after I get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast