More pie please

2013 Hard COEre 100

It's this Saturday, right???

The Hard COEre 100

Anyone going to ride this?

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

I like mtn biking, too
    I hope so, otherwise it'll just be me! I plan on doing the 63 miler, that's the plan, anyway! How about you, Charlie?
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

More pie please
    I wish I could, the 100km was in my plans for the year but my injury was too much of a set-back.

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 10-02-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: clarification
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bummer, didn't know it was happening. I'll be off on a 400 mile odyssey from foresthill to Graeagle and back. Too bad, I was hoping to do it this year. Perhaps spread the word a bit more next year?

Hipster

2013 Hard COEre 100

Planning on it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Forecast high in the low '90s - pack/plan for water refills...

I'm a "she".
    I know of three more who are planning to be there this Saturday. Mudncrud and I will be thinking of you guys and gals out there. We would join if we were not going to Outerbike. Have fun!!!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I will probably only ride from HH to DR, to check out a couple trails I have not been on near DR, checking for Nov. 1 Get Lost event.

mtbr member
    What time will the riders begin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been planning and training for it, but ended up here in AZ until the 9th. I might try to do it the 12th or 19th when I get back, would be great to have someone else to ride with if anyone wants to do a later run on it!! Sorcerer, I think the start is planned for 7 AM, you can see that and other details at The Hard COEre 100 - home

mtbr member
    Yep, I know they started at 7am before, but I think I had heard they were thinking of starting a bit later due to synchronization with darkness or something weird like that. Maybe I should start on Friday night!? Gulp...

mtbr member
    I wish I could be there but I have immovable plans (I've tried). Bummed to miss this awesome event.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Go Big!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    What time will the riders begin?
    It is a 7am start at Hunting Hollow.

Thank you for starting this thread Charlie. I was planning to yesterday, then today but forgot. Looks the the weather will be pretty warm for the first time on this ride. The warmest it has been in the past was in the low 80's as I recall. That was optimum riding temperatures. If it is hot, it might slow riders down. This would be the first time there would be necessary swimming if it is real hot like it seems it might be. Predicted for Gilroy is 84 (with a feel like 88) so that could be "interesting".

Needless to say, it will be difficult out there. Finish times vary from the incredible 16 hours to 22, 23 hours. You will be in your saddle many hours. You will need a water filter. You will need lights. It is all about survival. Unsupported. Bring your own food. Consider that fact that you will spend the day in Coe. Food enough for all day. It will be heavy. But worth it. Hammer Perpetuem is what I use. Bring anything that will help you survive the day. Bailouts are everywhere but it is still a long ride back to your car. Bring lights. Enough batteries for the night as the average rider will be riding most of the night. Bring spare tubes. Bring any tools you may need since it is pretty raw out there.

Dirk is planning on making a cameo appearance to clue riders in on what to expect. He will not be riding it.

See you there,

Roy.

MarkyMark
    Good luck, everyone! I'll be waiting to read the ride reports.

More pie please
    Yeah, have a good ride everyone!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member

2013 Hard COEre 100

Good luck! I want to try the metric next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rho
    Life is strange
    Good luck you nut cases!

I might be out at HQ later today with my 2 year old on a short hike!

More pie please
    ElHombre reports from the starting line that…

plymmer, Sorcerer, mboldt, Liehann, and Brian L (course record holder) started the 100 mile.

Shredchic, Janet W, DogMeatQueen, and one other for the 100km.

A couple others started early (maybe Eric S & Todd M from the nightriders email list).

I’m going out for a short Coe sunset ride followed by a vigil at Hunting Hollow to hopefully see some of the finishers. Folks, if you could please finish by 9 or 10pm, that’d be nice :-)

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

NedwannaB
    Crazyness. I might even stay up late/early to read rr's!
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    FS: Ripley V4 medium frame

I like mtn biking, too

2013 Hard COEre 100

Wow, that was the toughest ride I have ever done, and it was just the metric! So nice of Charlie & Anne-Marie, Knobs, Diskus Mike and Beanbag to be hanging out at the finish, so I didn't have to drink my beer alone! I got done at eight, and I didn't have lights! the last three miles were in the dark. My emergency headlamp was later found sitting useless in my car.

When almost at the parking lot in the pitch black, I ended up in an area penned of by a fence. I went another way and was thwarted by another fence. I could see my car! And people! This ride just didn't want to end! Finally I was like, screw it! And climbed over the damn fence. And so my ride ended.

Done. (Conk).
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

NedwannaB
    Congrats!
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    FS: Ripley V4 medium frame

mtbr member
    2 Riders checking in here.

My wife Chris did the metric 100 with Janet (the course record holder's partner). They rolled in about 10pm. It was getting pretty cold by then.

I started on the 100 miler, and bailed out at Pacheco Camp. When I saw that my wife wasn't done, I went looking for her group descending Phegley. Fortunately I didn't have to climb Phegley - they were riding towards me on Hunting Hollow just as I neared that fiercely steep trail.

I ended up with 75 miles and 13,648 according to my device. That was ok for me. I felt less sheepish about it when Dirk told me the first time the ride was tried, they also bailed out at Pacheco.

I bailed out because I felt that I was under-prepared. The wee hours were going to be much colder than I realized, and I probably did not have enough clothes to wear. I didn't have enough light. I need to get a helmet light, and better lights. More training would help too. I rode fine, and finished feeling good though. If I tried to finish the 100, I would have suffered a lot, and probably bailed out anyway.

I'm proud of my wife for knocking her ride off.

Brian had already completed the whole ride, and was fixing a meal in the parking lot when I rolled in.

It was a really nice welcoming party in the parking area. Thanks guys.

Plymmer and Leihann were the dudes I was riding with. After a break at the top of Bear Mtn, we rolled off the peak towards Mississippi Lake on a wide dirt road downhill. The sun was setting. I went last. It was beautiful. I stopped to take pictures. They rolled on.

While I took pictures I decided to bail. I was also anxious about how my spouse was doing. Then at the Lake I later learned from Dirk I took a wrong turn and went off course. I did not see Leihann and Plymmer again. I thought they were going to filter water at the ramada on the north end of the lake. I did not see them there. The route went around the east side of the lake first. I misunderstood. Since I still had plenty of fluid, more than enough to get me to Pacheco Camp, I figured (wrong) that they thought the same, and were heading for the camp. [This explanation is more for Plymmer and Liehann, for when they get back].

It's a great route. Bear Mtn deals out one hell of punishing climb.

Congrats to Shredchic.

I would like try the 100 again next year, and arrive better prepared.

I took a hardtail, and that was getting harsh after a while.

Hope they all come back safe soon.

More pie please
    Hey Paul,
    plymmer/Roy and Liehann arrived at HH at ~11pm. They bailed from Pacheco Camp because after the confusion at Mississippi Lake, they felt they were too far behind schedule.

I left Hunting Hollow at mid-night, Marco was still on the trails and while waiting for his Garmin to recharge, Brian L lost all momentum on a Everest Challenge attempt.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    I awoke in my tent out in Moab, and wondered about the riders, so I had to check. Hope mbolt has made it back by now because it sounded like everyone else already made it back safely. That's the most important thing. Coe is not to be underestimated, but she is patient. She will always be there next time when you return with whatever goal you have in mind.

I'm sorry I was not there with the welcome committee (or the riders). There is nothing like being surrounded by a group of people who could understand you with you seemly insane mission after a long lonely ride. At Coe, when you go big go deep, the riding feels lonely regardless if you are actually alone or not. That's how I feel anyway. However, one can always see the beauty in that loneliness. Maybe that's why we keep going back and going deep.

Congratulations to all for a remarkable ride!

Did Brian better his own 100m record?

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Hope mbolt has made it back by now because it sounded like everyone else already made it back safely.
    He posted on Strava:

"Lots of wrong turns, backtracking and getting lost after the sun went down! Some of those trails are hard enough to see during the day :) (Totally lost sight of Burra Burra and ended up on cow trails, but eventually rejoined it) GPS died on Kaiser-Aenta. Charged it on the way to Dowdy Ranch. Decided to take fireroads back after the Burra Burra incident."

Looks like he got back to Hunting Hollow just before 2am.

Did Brian better his own 100m record?
    Yes. He said he took roughly an hour off it.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Coe is not to be underestimated, but she is patient. She will always be there next time when you return with whatever goal you have in mind.
    At Coe, when you go big go deep, the riding feels lonely regardless if you are actually alone or not. That's how I feel anyway. However, one can always see the beauty in that loneliness. Maybe that's why we keep going back and going deep.
    Exactly!

I know those trails out there well. Everything on the cue sheet, I have ridden many times. I know how scrubby Dutch's Trail is and how confusing and hilly the country from Yellow Jacket to Burra Burra is. That scared me. Knowing what to expect was daunting in itself for me. The prospect of attempting that with one Magic-shine on my handlebar was one I couldn't face.

Yes, there is something majestic about that solitude. I obtained a glimpse of some deepness out there. Something about nature's impartial aspect impressed me as I rode down Pacheco Creek Trail in the dusk without lights on, alone.

I took a long break at Pacheco Camp, expecting Plymmer and Leihann to turn up any moment. I began to get cold, and started to ride back. From there the official route would turn back into the park, and onto some trails of feral aspect. That prospect I viewed as if it were some psychedelic pill of unknown dosage. It would be a heavy trip. I couldn't take it.

Sorry guys.

Maybe next time.

At one point of the ride Leihann said to me, "Your feet don't get cold?". He was looking at my bike sandals. I said that I had wool socks in the pack. But seriously I began to review the clothing I had, and I could see that I could be dangerously freezing and shivering later.

mtbr member
    Even though I've finished this ride three times in four attempts, the thought of it still scares me. I can't even imagine trying to do it alone - the company of the trio is what has always got me through the brain mush that inevitably comes on in a punishing ride like this.

It's almost reassuring to see that veterans of the ride had trouble with it - it will always be the ultimate challenge!

Big congrats to those who set out and those who finished. I wish I could count myself amongst you this year!

Hipster

2013 Hard COEre 100

It was a good ride. No mechanicals and no injuries other than scratches from overgrown shrubs! Decided on the hard tail race bike for this one. I added a granny ring just for this ride! 1 x 10 would not work too well. A little uncomfortable and slow on the creek beds and cow trampled trails. Next year I should have an Epic to attack this ride with.

HH to Coe HQ
    Played accordion with Brian and we rode together quite a bit until Headquarters. I opted for more of a leisurely break and he was all business and left pretty quickly! It was nice having company for the first leg of the journey. Wasn't quite expecting most of this ride to be a solo effort!

After HQ I set off for a very familiar section of the ride which included flat frog and middle ridge. My first Coe ride ever about 2 years ago was a solo Middle ridge / Lost Spring / China Hole loop. I remember worrying about making it through that ride-- I had heard about the legendary "Coe Factor" and how one should not underestimate Coe. Guess I've come a long way from that first ride!

Gary.
    This was the first time I loaded a course into my Garmin edge 500 and it was a lifesaver! It tried to never let me get too far off course. There were times I lost confidence and didn't believe I was off course. Other times it gave me confidence that I was indeed on the right track! As the ride progressed "Gary" the Garmin became my trusted copilot. Not much of a conversationalist... only strange beeps.

Wrong turn #1
    Schafer Corral into narrows trail. Barreled to quickly into the creek bed and did not notice Narrows to the left. Gary was telling me I was off course. Took the trail to the right and Gary eventually beeped I was on course again. Success! Or not? My time remaining was suddenly 12 hours again?! I had rejoined an earlier section of the ride. I backtracked and finally found the Narrows trail.

Bear Mountain.
    I had heard legends of this mountain and the silly road that leads to the top. I was not disappointed! It was a nice afternoon for a hike. Many of the Coe fireroads have been recently graded including Bear Mountain Rd. I cannot imagine clearing it under normal conditions let alone with 1.5 inches of fluffy shale and gravel!

Missed trail #1
    Nothing like a missing sign for a trail on a high speed fire road section! Gary was angry again, telling me I was off course as I sped down Pacheco ridge road. I knew Phoneline tr was a right turn off of this 0.5 mile stretch of fireroad, but I saw nothing after going back and forth several times. Finally found it. No sign!

Coe at night-- a different beast.
    In previous rides I was sometimes surprised that what looked like a deer path was actually a trail. This proved problematic as the sun set! The fun started when I lost the trail at the bottom of Turkey pond. I searched, and pulled myself up onto a fireroad. Success? This must be County Line Rd. Gary was angry again. I started up the fireroad and came to the Mustang Cutoff intersection. Wait a second.. I'm on the wrong fireroad! At this point I pulled out the trusty Coe paper map and made a plan for rejoining the route. Mustang cutoff would take me where I needed to be, so I took it rather than backtracking.

Yellowjacket Pond.
    Frustration sets in. Bombed down to the pond and Gary was having none of it. The previous sign further back had no trail names. Circled the pond in search of Tie down and thought I had found the trail! It was a steep hike and Gary was happy. Turns out I was just heading back to the sign. Back at the sign, a "trail" headed up the hill in the right direction. I knew the tie down trail was close-- I had climbed it twice before with Roy. I hiked the steep trail and eventually I was on familiar ground.

Garmin lesson
    You cannot charge while in use! Gary went to sleep on Kaiser Aetna road. As I stopped and turned out the lights, I took in the scene. Clear, and no moon. The milky way clearly visible. What a nice spot for a nap. Gary was on to something? Alas, no nap for me. Gary would nap and recharge while I climbed to Dowdy ranch for the final water refill.

In search of Burra Burra
    This trail is tough to see during the day. Cow and deer trails go off in all directions, and are sometimes better defined than the actual trail! I ended up on a cow trail and knew something was wrong. Gary was reporting his usual "off course." I stubbornly continued. I was descending. Not good. Again, trail memory and a sense of direction got me out of this one. I started trailblazing up the hill generally northwest. I knew eventually I would hit Burra Burra or Center flats.

Bailout.
    As I searched for Burra Burra I decided I would cut the ride short and stick to fireroads for the return trip. Better safe than sorry! After all, I was alone. Survival mode had set in. I'm sure if I was in a group I would have continued to finish the route as planned. Finally, Burra Burra!

From there it was easy fireroads back to Hunting Hollow. I arrived at 2 am, short of my midnight goal, but not bad for a first solo attempt!

More pie please
    Great write-up Marco!

A few photos from me; Bailout, knobs, diskus, Anne-Marie, and I did a short sunset ride, up Jim Donnelly and down Spike Jones/Timm then hung out waiting for finishers:

100 mile/km stares and smiles…

shredchic:

Sorcerer:

Brian and Janet:

Chris:

Nice old Stumpjumper!

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 10-06-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Long live long rides

loopy counter
    Congrats to all the riders.

I uploaded pics of our wimpy night ride here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1071054...eat=directlink

I like mtn biking, too
    This was a bit like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and I only did the metric. I am trying to keep it short, believe it or not!

The ride began with not much fanfare, just a handful of people with grave aspirations gathered in the parking lot of Hunting Hollow. There was a feeling of camaraderie - hello fellow insane people! This was no ordinary race, and a century at Coe is no ordinary century, metric or not. I was stoked to learn there were 2 gals on the ride doing the metric too! (Glad to hear you finished, Chris & Jan! Congrats!)

Us gals started off together before the rest at about 7:08. On the first climb up Lyman Wilson, hiking up the one steep pitch that I couldn't ride, I heard the ladies cheering below. There was Marco, who left later than us, cleaning the steep bit!

The golden morning light was pretty on the hills, and I was able to snap a photo of Sorcerer at the top of Lyman Wilson:

2013 Hard COEre 100-sorcerercloseup.jpg

Sorcerer, Plymmer and I converged at Camp Wilson, and began climbing up Middle Steer Ridge together, so it was nice to have company. On the fun descent (Spike Jones/Timm), I was sliding out and remembered that I had put different tires on a couple days ago, and pumped them up all the way to the max to seat the bead. I had to stop and let some air out, so I lost them for a while.

I ran into Dirk, oddly in a two places along Anza (how did he do that?). He remarked that I'd be hitting Bear Mtn. right at 2pm in the worst heat of the day (which I did - 2pm exactly!). I caught up with Sorcerer and Plymmer again as they took a break at their turn-off to Coit Spring rd, where the 100 mile diverges from the 100k. We parted company, and I didn't see another racer for a long time.

I got to HQ at 11:30, and stopped there far longer than planned, lots of cool wildlife!

2013 Hard COEre 100-barnowl.jpg

It was on a flat section on the way to the base of Bear Mountain, just after a rocky bit that I hiked over, that I heard the slam of chainring on rock, and a “GAAH!” behind me. I looked back, and there was Brian Lucido, the 100 mile course record holder! We exchanged encouraging words to one another, and he was off! Soon it occurred to me that he must have left the other 100 milers hours ago, and if I didn’t hurry up and get out my iPhone and snap a photo, no one else would!

2013 Hard COEre 100-brian.jpg

It is hard to describe the lonely, intense challenge of Bear Mountain in just a few words. When I first saw it, I had to stop and take the obligatory photo. On its side, I saw the brown ribbon of fire road - snaking straight up the side of the hill. And then I saw a yellow dot - Brian’s yellow jersey! The dot was making good progress up this mind-stopping impossible hill. I could vaguely make out that he was riding - on the bike! I thought holy shit! Then the dot stopped, and I think I made out the figure start to push the bike up the hill. That was the last time I saw anybody for the rest of the ride. Spot the dot:

2013 Hard COEre 100-bear.jpg

I got to see a wild tarantula, too!

2013 Hard COEre 100-wildtarantula.jpg

As always with Coe, there were many route-finding challenges, and my unfamiliarity with certain parts of Coe added lots of time. The nice thing about Coe is, you could be out in the middle of nowhere in a desolate lonely god-forsaken area, and still be able to pee in a proper pit toilet. What a luxury! I finished, 13 hours later, at 8pm.
    Last edited by shredchic; 10-06-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    ~Fairfaxian

More Torque
    Impressive ride, folks. Well done!

-D

JHH
    mtbr member
    Wow. Inspiring! Great write-ups. You all are gnarly in a good way.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

I'm a "she".
    Great write ups, folks. Let more come!

Joy, pain, frustration, regret, pride, sorrow, appreciation, apprehension, reflection, introspection, respect, ambition, disappointment, success, failure, hopeful, hopeless, etc, etc... Coe has seen them all and Coe brings them all out. I think that's what makes almost every Coe report a fascinating memoir.

Thank you for sharing!

Slowest Rider
    I find it funny to call this a "race". It's more of a survival challenge. I am in awe of anyone who accepts this challenge, and amazed that some can actually finish.

Navigation is always a bit confusing at Henry Coe, more so in the night, when severely tired, and with poor signs at times. I always put my planned route into my GPS when riding at Henry Coe, with a waypoint at every turn, and set up the display to show distance to next point, which counts down as I get close. I also use a AA battery powered GPS (60CSx) that can swap batteries quickly. Having extra AAs are good for emergency LED flashlights as well. OTOH, doesn't getting lost just adds miles and footies, in support of your epic intention?

Thanks for the reports. Makes me miss the beauty and pain of Henry Coe. Fortunately I've started getting out there occasionally lately.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member

Photos and Impressions of a BIG Coe ride

The day began, as usual, with that burst of morning activity that one lives through, almost as though it were an out-of-body experience, like heading towards a fire you are supposed to walk through - major protests from the dude who wants to stay in bed suppressed like a political dissident, gagged and thrown into a locked closet - another epic ride day arrives.

It is effing cold at Hunting Hollow, and I feel like I am still asleep. This must be a dream. Somehow Ria and Dirk prowl about in a near naked condition as if the cold is a sensory illusion. Strangely comforting.

Plymmer is last to arrive. Listening for the furtive putter of the Slant-Six
    Plymouth motor car, like racers alert for the call of their class to the starting area, we attend his arrival like that of an ice-cream truck.

Plymmer gets ready quickly, and perhaps peeved, not only by the oppressive chills, but maybe my crude camera work as well.

At last we ride into the sun and re-familiarize our bodies to its amazing properties. Lyman Willson Trail is a rude awakening. Zombie-like, however, I pedal up it sonambulant, until somewhere on the Bowl Trail my thermostat gets into the orange, and a tiny drop of perspiration forms in the small of my back.

To cover ground I resolve to break as little as possible and for the first time I ride from Hunting Hollow, up Lymann, Bowl, Steer Ridge, down Spike and Timm, up Coit to Anza, and up Coit again to Coit Spring trail without putting a foot down. This long no-dab situation amazes me.

Plymmer is great to ride with. I feel like I am slowing him down. All I can do is plod along to keep going. I get bored with looking at the ground and crane my neck around and try to think of something else besides what I am doing, because I am getting too much bike riding feed-back at the moment. Plymmer likes a good laugh, and whatever I can come up with as humorous fodder, usually comes from the bathroom and the bedroom.

Speaking of which, Secret Squirrel snuck up upon us in the bottom of Cross Canyon just below the east wall. Roy has cleaned up the big fallen logs, which have long been an impediment to any cleans of this mighty problem. Too sketchy for now. SS the rodent rides a nice clean Tall Boy with evident satisfaction (tastefully hidden by his handlebar).

SS and I are concerned about water, and decide to see if there's any in Willow Spring. Nada drop. Dang, we are in a serious drought.

[Notice how springs are sometimes dedicated by the funders? Maybe an mtb org should donate to develop a new spring. For a good example, there's a reliable spring on the upper half of East Cross Canyon trail which would be an excellent location for water.]

The ride goes by like a beautiful dream. The trails we ride during the first half of the ride are mostly quite smooth for my bottom perched on a hard-tail, except for the upper Coyote Creek narrows on the way to Bear Mtn. It all seems so familiar and good. But the Narrows begins a general degradation of all things nice and easy. My ass is getting sore, and the mountain looms in my imagination like a tidal wave of earth approaching at my slow and deliberate cadence over endless squirrel holes and loose gravel creek beds.

I have very few pictures to show you. The ride absorbed me like a dry sponge.

The Rohloff/Moots of Liehann's is something I haven't seen in Coe before. That made me snap a photo. It was really mesmerizing to watch that piece of German kraftsmanship turn the wheel as I sometimes got to ride next to it as we labored up towards the summit.

I took another shot of this tree in frozen incendiary torment.

And these across the road.

This is where I stopped and basked in the cosmic splendor of the wilderness. It all made sense for these moments in the golden hour. It stunned me, and I forgot what I was doing out there, and I was, just there, in it.

Then the sun went down, and so did my desire. The camera is put away. The lights are affixed. The bike leads me homeward automatically. All I have to do is sit there and enjoy the parade of unique silhouettes around me. Totally *****in'!

Last edited by Jack Burns; 10-06-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added Test link for video

I like mtn biking, too
    I think I'm going to cry. My Garmin Edge 810 lost its power with only 3 miles to go. I can not boot it up now. It's either stuck on "Loading maps..." or if I have it plugged in to the computer, it's stuck on transferring to mass storage. My Mac doesn't recognize the device. There is no way I can get to my ride file. I searched around the Garmin forums and apparently there is a known issue with the 510's/810's where sometimes when your device loses power during a ride, your ride file gets corrupted and it prevents the device from booting up. The only way apparently to get past this issue is to reset the device, thus losing all of your ride data that you haven't downloaded yet.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    100 mile/km stares and smiles…
    One of my favorite parts of this ride are seeing the faces post ride "The Stare"

Good job every one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hey Shred

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I can not boot it up now. It's either stuck on "Loading maps..." or if I have it plugged in to the computer, it's stuck on transferring to mass storage.
    Hey Shred, I created a MTBR account just to help you. Anyway, the 810 has an SD card, and modern iMacs have an SD card slot in the side. Perhaps you could pull the SD card, put it in an adapter, and get the file onto your computer. Once you do that, if the file is corrupted, you can email it to Garmin, and they will often repair it. Also, (save this link), this guy has made a FIT file repair tool:

Home Page

There's got to be a way to repair it, but you have to try different things. Don't do a reset yet.

P.S. Also, does the bluetooth turn on while it says "Loading Maps?" This would be another way to access the storage that you could try. Try to see if your Mac detects the bluetooth from the GPS once it is powered on.

P.P.S Also, can you boot it without the SD card in place? The maps are stored on the SD card, so perhaps this will skip the "loading maps" phase that it is stuck in. Finally, all Garmin devices have a soft reset and a hard reset. The soft reset will not delete your track. I'd try the other things mentioned above first, but if it comes down to it, a soft reset could be your friend. From Garmin's page:

1. Turn device off
    2. Press and hold upper-left corner of the touch window
    3. While pressing touch screen, press and release the power key to turn on the unit
    Last edited by fulmar2; 10-07-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Even More info

I like mtn biking, too
    Thanks Fulmar! I gave your new account some +rep - thanks for the write-up!

I didn't have an SD card in my 810, I wish now that I did. I tried the soft reset, and it froze. Sigh...

Anyway - thanks so much!!! I think it will require a tech support call with Garmin.
    Last edited by shredchic; 10-07-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    ~Fairfaxian

MarkyMark
    Huge congrats to anyone that attempted, let alone finished, the ride! After reading these ride reports I'm tempted to try, but I've ridden in Coe before so I know better. ;-) The area is just too rugged and unforgiving for me.

Charlie et al: Thanks for being there to meet the finishers. Finishing alone, in the dark, and simply packing up to head back home would be pretty discouraging after doing something that brutal!

(That baby owl at the HQ was super cute.)

Medium?
    Kudos to all. I was cooking garlic bread at HQ. How was it? I only saw Leihann, whom I haven't met before, so he didn't recognize me. I gave him an extra big portion.

Back out there next weekend for a metric century in my Land Cruiser.

I'm a "she".
    Are there more stories coming?

Wait, it's still 2013! Rumor has it that there will be "secret" attempts/reruns. Just hope we get to read the reports afterwards!

Ms. Shred, so sorry to hear about your GPS mishap. That's exactly what happened to Mr. Mud's 800 last year when he did the 100. Unfortunately, I hit the reset button too hastily after trying everything I could think of. He took it well. I would have cried. I always thought you used a 500 (before there was iPhone). Hope Garmin can help you!

We are hanging out with our friend Tom here in Utah. Not much older, but he is retired (bastard!) and travels around the country/world just to have fun. He is into some insane endurance events/races and has been pretty competitive. Actually he is heading over to do the AES Coconino 250 this weekend. We tried to promote Hard COE100 to him. He questions why this ride would take a fast rider 14+ hours when he compares with some other comparable rides such as the late Park City E100 (above 8000' with a near 19k' total ascent) where the course record was 10.5 hours. I tried to explain away with all sorts of reasons (e.g. not a real race setting, few water stops unless filtering, usually hot, etc.) , but deep down, I think it's really because Coe is that special. Don't we all agree?

Slowest Rider
    We are hanging out with our friend Tom here in Utah. ... He questions why this ride would take a fast rider 14+ hours when he compares with some other comparable rides ...
    Obviously, he needs to do this ride to show everyone how it's done. [Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snicker]

I like mtn biking, too

Wait, it's still 2013! Rumor has it that there will be "secret" attempts/reruns. Just hope we get to read the reports afterwards!

Ms. Shred, so sorry to hear about your GPS mishap. That's exactly what happened to Mr. Mud's 800 last year when he did the 100. Unfortunately, I hit the reset button too hastily after trying everything I could think of. He took it well. I would have cried. I always thought you used a 500 (before there was iPhone). Hope Garmin can help you!

We are hanging out with our friend Tom here in Utah. Not much older, but he is retired (bastard!) and travels around the country/world just to have fun. He is into some insane endurance events/races and has been pretty competitive. Actually he is heading over to do the AES Coconino 250 this weekend. We tried to promote Hard COE100 to him. He questions why this ride would take a fast rider 14+ hours when he compares with some other comparable rides such as the late Park City E100 (above 8000' with a near 19k' total ascent) where the course record was 10.5 hours. I tried to explain away with all sorts of reasons (e.g. not a real race setting, few water stops unless filtering, usually hot, etc.) , but deep down, I think it's really because Coe is that special. Don't we all agree?
    On Sunday, I wrote a play by play, trail by trail account in detail about my ride. Only a teeny bit of it got on here. If I can't put it on Strava, at least will be forever immortalized that way. I can always go re-make the GPS track.

Coe is not just a race, it's an adventure. Your friend threw down the gauntlet, so let's see how well he does! The only way for him to find out why it's so special is to ride it.

It took me 2 hours longer to do the Hard Coe'er metric than it took to do the Mendo 100 non-metric. Granted, I took more photos at Coe, heehee.
    ~Fairfaxian

rho
    Life is strange
    On Sunday, I wrote a play by play, trail by trail account in detail about my ride. Only a teeny bit of it got on here. If I can't put it on Strava, at least will be forever immortalized that way. I can always go re-make the GPS track.

Coe is not just a race, it's an adventure. Your friend threw down the gauntlet, so let's see how well he does! The only way for him to find out why it's so special is to ride it.

It took me 2 hours longer to do the Hard Coe'er metric than it took to do the Mendo 100 non-metric. Granted, I took more photos at Coe, heehee.
    So... Where's the full ride report?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Back out there next weekend for a metric century in my Land Cruiser.
    This sounds right up my ally... More so with this plague my kid gave me.

More pie please
    On Sunday, I wrote a play by play, trail by trail account in detail about my ride. Only a teeny bit of it got on here.
    Post it all!

plymmer? fulmar?
    Long live long rides

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    So... Where's the full ride report?
    It's in google docs.
    :P I have big plans for a blog which never seem to materialize. After the Enduro this weekend, maybe.
    ~Fairfaxian

I'm a "she".
    The thing is he doesn't think Coe is that special, thus it is hard to convince him that it's worth his time. But rest assured, I'm working on it. I want to see either he crashes the course, or he be crashed, because either would make great stories, but most likely it'll be in between. But I think if he does do the ride (and most likely finishes), he will agree with me.

Slowest Rider
    The thing is he doesn't think Coe is that special, thus it is hard to convince him that it's worth his time.
    Sure, 100 miles at a leisurely 12 MPH is only 8 hours, maybe 8.5 with lunch. Leaves time for dinner and movie with the kids later.

Heck, I'd show everyone, but it's not worth my time.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Sure, 100 miles at a leisurely 12 MPH is only 8 hours, maybe 8.5 with lunch. Leaves time for dinner and movie with the kids later.

Heck, I'd show everyone, but it's not worth my time.
    Oh sorry, I did not mean for it to come across that way. Actually, he never said those words, and it's probably wrong for me to interpret it that way. I should point out that he does not live in the Bay Area, and he usually has a busy travel schedule all planned out. And he never promised that he would break the course record. He mainly just raised a legit question: why does this course take unusually long hours? ( e.g. Q: Does it have a lot of hike a bikes? A: Not really. For the strong guys, probably not even 5%.)

Well I know, and you know, this is how Coe works, but it is difficult to explain to others who only have visibility to stats and profiles. Hope Sean does not mind me point out that he, a strong endurance rider, last year learned first hand how tough Coe can be. I just took it as a challenge to try to convey that only by words to others and be convincing.

Slowest Rider
    Oh sorry, I did not mean for it to come across that way. ...

Well I know, and you know, this is how Coe works, but it is difficult to explain to others who only have visibility to stats and profiles.
    That's my point. From simple stats and profiles, Henry Coe indeed just doesn't make sense. Should be home for dinner.

We often mention the very real Coe-factor. Not entirely sure why it's there, but I suspect the very steep hills that drain energy at the max, the rough terrain, the exposure to the sun, navigating the zero track trails, the stream bed-is-a-trail, the bush whacking, etc..

BTW, I first mentioned the Coe-factor a few years back by comparing similar stats and profiles of other rides (like Sierra Azul) to those rides with nearly the same stats (distance and elevation) at Henry Coe. The Coe-factor is usually giving between 1.3 to 1.5 times longer ride time at Henry Coe for the same miles and climb.

I like mtn biking, too
    I know Larry! It's the serpentine soils - kryptonite I tell ya.
    ~Fairfaxian

enjoying the scenery
    Garmin lesson, You cannot charge while in use!
    I was recommended this:
    Rocketfish USB Car Charger for Most GPS - Black RF-DDC01

by a Randonneur who does very long rides, the cable allows the device to keep functioning, while being charged by something like this:
    JAVOedge Portable Battery

The cable supplied with the JAVO will recharge the device, by using the Rocketfish type cable it will act as an external battery.

Caveat: I have purchased these items but have never needed to use them, so have no first hand knowledge of their success. Keep wanting to test this out but...
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

CoAuthor?

Post it all!

plymmer? fulmar?
    Maybe plymmer will help co-author my ride report to make it more funny/interesting. Otherwise, I'd just write a detailed description of what happened during the long day...

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by fulmar2 View Post
    Maybe plymmer will help co-author my ride report to make it more funny/interesting. Otherwise, I'd just write a detailed description of what happened during the long day...
    Usually, plymmer's reports make me want to cry,

And I love it!

Yes, post it all!

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I first mentioned the Coe-factor a few years back ...
    It was more than a few years. 8 years as far as I can tell. I believe it was this post:

Henry Coe fall slow ride (10/15)

But a year later you gave credit to Joseph-da-trog:

Henry Coe Fall Circus and Slow Ride

I actually refer to it on the Coe mtb website.

I like mtn biking, too
    Well, I did a soft reset of the Edge 810 as fulmar suggested, and the device recovered from its wonky state, but there was unfortunately no .fit file at all from Oct. 5th. Not even a corrupt one that could be fixed. Curse you Garmin!!! They need to do some more "load testing" - i.e. testing with people out riding the Hard Coe're. There just aren't enough hills in Kansas.
    ~Fairfaxian

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    It was more than a few years. 8 years as far as I can tell. I believe it was this post:

Henry Coe fall slow ride (10/15)

But a year later you gave credit to Joseph-da-trog:

Henry Coe Fall Circus and Slow Ride

I actually refer to it on the Coe mtb website.
    Wow, what nice memories of great rides that those old threads bring back. And then there's the follow-on picture threads you didn't link.

I almost resurrected the Fall Circus this year. I was scouting some fun shorter routes for a less intensive half-day event, more like the original Henry Coe slow ride that became the Fall Circus. Going up the nice JDT is a wonderful trail and good way to sort out riders. From there, Spike Jones, Grizzly Gulch, Cross Canyon and other nice loops exist close in. I found an especially fun descent is going down Domino, jog over to Elderberry Springs, then down Jackson and Anza. I have a nice GoPro video of that. But I just left my company, and am starting up new things. Not much time for sleep these days, much less organizing a Fall Circus. Maybe next year.

I'm not sure now if "Coe-factor" came from a post or ride with Joseph-da-Trog. But his comment matched my observation and I so I started using it here and giving some validation. It indeed looks to be a real factor, with this ride as further evidence.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pictures, write ups and very impressive riding!
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for posting the link to the course GPX file.

A few friends and I had ridden out of the Hunting Hollow entrance a few times and wanted to try some of the trails up near the HQ entrance. I could see from the course track that it very nearly had a separate loop in that region of the park that had lots of single track and was about the kind of distance we usually like. Here's the segment from the original track.

A quick check of the map showed that we should be able to bridge the gap at the end of the "near loop" and make it an actual loop.

Here's what we got after the ride. It was a bit tricky to find the junction because you had to cross through a wide stony creek bed where the trail sort of disappeared.

Here's the distance/elevation graph. 18.5 miles and about 4500 feet. Quite enough for me. Can't imagine wrapping another 80 miles of Coe around that.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    It was a bit tricky to find the junction because you had to cross through a wide stony creek bed where the trail sort of disappeared.
    Well, you'll learn that at Henry Coe, the trail didn't disappear, it's actually the "wide stony creek bed". People clamor for singletrack. At Henry Coe you get lots of zerotrack. A good map and GPS are essential, along with extra water and food. Trips there are as much adventure as MTB.

Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Here's the distance/elevation graph. 18.5 miles and about 4500 feet. Quite enough for me. Can't imagine wrapping another 80 miles of Coe around that.
    Yea, for those who know Henry Coe, it makes the 100 km or 100 mile ride super impressive. Really way out there in a super human alien creature sort of way.

I'm a "she".

Oct 19

Since Mr. Mud and I were out of town and missed the fun on Oct 5, we are thinking about going out to Coe this Saturday. I don't really want to commit, but I admit that we do have the intention to go for the 100 miler. For those of you who would like to make an attempt or have a re-run on the same day, come on out. We don't have a set start time. Kinda will just go with the flow when the day arrives. Most likely, Mr. Mud and I will be riding at our own separate paces as usually that's what works the best on long rides like this one. So, this is hardly a call for a group ride, but for those who show up, we can still commiserate after the ride in the parking lot.

We thought we should just throw the plan out there in case there are other like minded folks out there who don't mind a long lonely ride. Not to single you out, but... plymmer???

More pie please
    Since Mr. Mud and I were out of town and missed the fun on Oct 5, we are thinking about going out to Coe this Saturday. I don't really want to commit, but I admit that we do have the intention to go for the 100 miler.
    Awesome! You will have a full moon on a cloudless night.

btw everyone, 2013 results (so far): HardCOEre100 - results

Some photos from start and finish: pics2013

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track
    This is from the "official" HardCOEre100 website; methinks it deserves inclusion here:

Great vid Aaron!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

I'm a "she".
    Awesome! You will have a full moon on a cloudless night.
    You promise, Charlie? Actually, please exercise your magic to help us stay away from any mechanical. Recently, we had an unbelievable yet comical bout of mechanicals (there is more to it later that was not documented there).

btw everyone, 2013 results (so far): HardCOEre100 - results
    I was really hoping to read more stories...

I like mtn biking, too
    The stories so far have been great! I really would love to hear more from everyone else, too. One thing about Coe is you always have a good adventure drama to talk about afterward.
    ~Fairfaxian

I'm a "she".

Techy question: what iPhone app as GPS tracker?

For the techies on the thread: what is a good iPhone app that can be used as a GPS tracker, which can provide downloadable track including timing information?

I've used Strava and Mapmyride, but it appears that the .gpx downloaded from either site for an activity will only include coordinates, which renders it useless in case patching becomes necessary should my GPS unit dies on the ride.

I do plan on bringing a portable USB charger on the ride, but still want to prepare for the worst.

More pie please

Money-back guarantee on the "full moon on a cloudless night"

…in case patching becomes necessary should my GPS unit dies on the ride…
    No worries, we're pretty much on the Honor System these days.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

More Hard COEre metric finishers!

Three of us rolled out this morning at 6:30 for the metric. We were greeted at Hunting Hollow with the sight of a beautiful fox running along the edges of the parking lot.

We saw way more wildlife than humans, in fact the only people we saw the entire day were within a mile of HQ, and a guy driving a maintenance truck on Poverty Flat near Los Cruzeros. Lots of horned toads on Bear Mountain, a great blue heron at Mississippi Lake, lots of wild turkeys just before Pacheco Camp.

Bear Mountain was downright painful and demoralizing in the hottest part of the day... good thing it gets so much better once you are on County Line Road cruising down to Mississippi Lake. At that point, the sight of the lake in the distance was pure joy! We took an extended stop there and filtered.

Soon, Ted had his bike turned over and was trying to figure out why his rear derailleur was wobbling around, crunching, and almost jamming/falling off. Not a good location to have your derailleur flaking out. Not sure what he did, but thankfully it worked and we rolled on with fresh water and energy :-)

The remainder went quite smoothly... Ted and Yu seemed comfortably cruising ahead chatting while I was struggling a bit attempting to keep up... maybe I shouldn't have done that 80 mile ride Saturday after all?

It all ended up happily at Hunting Hollow with a celebratory beer. Here is my Strava track:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | HardCoere 100 (metric version) near Hollister | Times and Records | Strava

I more than doubled my worst Strava suffer score ever on this ride!

The three of us started and finished together, although Ted and Yu were looking pretty fast and could have finished well ahead of me!

2013 Hard COEre 100-coe1.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe2.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe3.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe4.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe5.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe6.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe7.jpg2013 Hard COEre 100-coe8.jpg

I'm a "she".
    Nice job, Bruce and company! So not fair that you guys were playing at Coe while most of us worked! :jealous:

But good that you got the ride out of the way because it seems that the weather is warming up. Just checked and the forecast for Gilroy this Saturday is 95. Coe can only be hotter. Urgh!

middle ring single track
    For the techies on the thread: what is a good iPhone app that can be used as a GPS tracker, which can provide downloadable track including timing information?

I've used Strava and Mapmyride, but it appears that the .gpx downloaded from either site for an activity will only include coordinates, which renders it useless in case patching becomes necessary should my GPS unit dies on the ride.

I do plan on bringing a portable USB charger on the ride, but still want to prepare for the worst.
    I'm no super-geek but it seem that the Strava app itself is as good as any. The main down-side to any iPhone GPS app (at least in the "plain" iPhone 4 I'm using) is that using GPS really sucks the battery down. So you'll be needing to recharge the phone also.

I like the old-school Garmin Etrex Vista C or Cx; just bring along extra AA's and you'll have all the data you need. As long as you hear the low-battery "beep". (or check it from time-to-time)

Not sure why you're having trouble stitching tracks together; if you're able to save data from the device as a gpx file then you should be able work with it in something like Garmin "Basecamp" software.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Not sure why you're having trouble stitching tracks together; if you're able to save data from the device as a gpx file then you should be able work with it in something like Garmin "Basecamp" software.
    Hi Paul, I don't know when it started, but now a GPX track you download from Strava only provides coordinates. It strips the timing information. So, the .gpx downloaded is only a track, instead of an "activity." Some people may feel more secure that way. I don't know.

middle ring single track
    Hi Paul, I don't know when it started, but now a GPX track you download from Strava only provides coordinates. It strips the timing information. So, the .gpx downloaded is only a track, instead of an "activity." Some people may feel more secure that way. I don't know.
    OK I just tried it; a GPX track from my own activity still has the time data intact.

Downloading a GPX route from somebody else's activity will not have time data (because it's a route not a track)

Plus that feature is only available to Premium Strava members so eff Strava!

I'm a "she".

Oct 19? We'll see...

Ahh... I see. Thanks for investigating, Paul. I'm cheap, so I'm not a Premium member, but I tried downloading my activity from Mr. Mud's account and that's when I saw the missing timing information. And good to learn about the difference between track and route. I promise I won't confuse them again.

==========

We'll see about this Saturday since nobody else committed or is relying on our presence at the park. The bikes need some tweaks (mainly, new chains), but that may just lead to bigger problems, e.g. shifting. So, I'm not very sure if we can get everything in order in time. And then, there is the weather. We've ridden at Coe in that hot weather multiple times (e.g. this ride and that ride), so I know how bad an idea it is to attempt a 100miler on a hot day like that. Sure we can do it, but why??? We'll go with the flow.

If no update from me, that means no ride.

I like mtn biking, too
    mudworm, I think as long as you shut your gps down gracefully when it is in the low battery phase (Mine lasted for a couple more hours after it said low battery), rather than letting the device shut itself off, it won't corrupt your .fit file. This was just a bug in Edge 510/810 units as well. In short, you should be able to stitch together your two gpx files. I'm sure there is a tool online to convert .fit to .gpx, or the garmin connect site maybe does it, I'm not sure.
    ~Fairfaxian

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm no super-geek but it seem that the Strava app itself is as good as any.
    I use some "Fitness tracker" app on my old phone, and all it does is collect gpx, and mail it for upload to ridewithgps.com. Boom, done. Not sure what else may be needed. I like Ridewithgps mapping implementation much more. KOMs are no use to me, as I am slow.

Planning on skipping work tomorrow and riding from HH to Dowdy and back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

More pics from yesterday

Wow! What a great day to be out there!

Topping out on Lyman Willson:
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-07.29.36.jpg

Me topping out on Bear Mountain (obviously I'm the last one :-)
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-13.06.20-hdr.jpg

Yu on Pacheco Creek Trail: (we all *loved* this trail)
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-14.53.07.jpg

Me on Pacheco Creek Trail:
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-14.53.18-hdr.jpg

Bombing down the last bit of Phegley Ridge to Hunting Hollow:
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-17.02.45.jpg
    2013 Hard COEre 100-2013-10-16-17.01.52.jpg

I like mtn biking, too
    Nice pics bbundy & really great time on the 100k! You guys rocked it.
    ~Fairfaxian

More pie please
    Nice job, Bruce and company! So not fair that you guys were playing at Coe while most of us worked! :jealous:
    Yeah, nice ride and report!

But good that you got the ride out of the way because it seems that the weather is warming up. Just checked and the forecast for Gilroy this Saturday is 95. Coe can only be hotter. Urgh!
    The weather forecast I'm seeing isn't that high. This is my weather link pin-pointed to Hunting Hollow: 88º. Use the Google map and click on a few points around the Park. The range I'm finding is 75º - 88º.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    May 2010
    spent most of the packing and cleaning bike chains. kinda looks like it is going to happen. Uh, this is going to hurt.

How many times have I said those words.....
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

I'm a "she".
    Good that I worked on my bike today -- found that the derailleur hanger was cracked and was able to replace it with a spare. Hope that did not mess up shifting.

Now, am I ready? Absolutely not!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Best of luck tomorrow, can't wait for the ride reports!!

middle ring single track

PSA; Horse traffic...

...in the vicinity of Coit Horse Camp this weekend. Coe's horse patrol (MAU---Mounted Assistance Unit) is doing one of their overnight training sessions and are staging from Coit.

Expect higher than normal horse traffic in that part of the park. If you see a lone bike patrol rider mixed up with a bunch of horses; that'll be me.

More pie please
    I crossed paths with mudworm at Pacheco Camp @ 3:30pm. She stopped long enough to say "Hi", take a couple bites of a burrito, and leave a note for her husband, "mudncrud" (somewhere behind her):

Zoom, she was off! No sign of fatigue, I think she'll complete the 100 miles.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    I crossed paths with mudworm at Pacheco Camp @ 3:30pm. She stopped long enough to say "Hi", take a couple bites of a burrito, and leave a note for her husband, "mudncrud" (somewhere behind her):

Zoom, she was off! No sign of fatigue, I think she'll complete the 100 miles.

///Charlie
    I completed only because of what you said here -- don't want to let you down, you know.

No sign of fatigue? No sign of fatigue? I felt the fatigue - noodly legs - from the very beginning!

Mr Mud was behind me because I gave myself a head start - he's been riding strong lately. But luck was not on his side this time. I did the ride solo. What an experience!!!

Charlie, so good to see you at Pacheco as you were the only one I talked to on the ride. Now, fess up... Was that rock art before Phoneline turn off your doing? Very cool to see. I'll post photo later.
    Last edited by mudworm; 10-20-2013 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    that hurt.

I bailed. My Garmin 800 croaked again just before Dutches. 87 miles for me.

I like mtn biking, too
    mudworm & mudncrud need more green chicklets! Help 'em out folks.
    ~Fairfaxian

I'm a "she".
    mudworm & mudncrud need more green chicklets! Help 'em out folks.
    Ha, I had to ask Mr. Google what you were referring to, and then realized that I'd always had the green-chicklet envy (and still do). Thank you, shredchic, and thanks to everyone who rep'ed!!! Already saw the jump!

I will be working on the report today as I know many of you, like me, love reading Coe reports, so I owe you that. Or... I owe Coe that. But when should I publish it? Shredchic, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read your full blown report. And fulmar2? Thought you promised one. Not that I'm putting pressure on you; I just don't want to mess up the order.

Ok, I guess track first:

Mr. Mud's ride
    was also huuuuge!
    Last edited by mudworm; 10-20-2013 at 01:00 PM.

I like mtn biking, too
    Ha, I had to ask Mr. Google what you were referring to, and then realized that I'd always had the green-chicklet envy (and still do). Thank you, shredchic, and thanks to everyone who rep'ed!!! Already saw the jump!

Shredchic, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read your full blown report.
    lol! I am glad to see more well-deserved green next to your avatar.

Finally I pulled my thumb out (as they say in Australia), and posted up on blogger the full gut-wrenching, suspenseful, humorous, sad, and triumphant report. OK, maybe it's not that good - but if you have a couple hours to waste, here it is!

Adventures of a shredchic
    ~Fairfaxian

I'm a "she".
    Finally I pulled my thumb out (as they say in Australia), and posted up on blogger the full gut-wrenching, suspenseful, humorous, sad, and triumphant report. OK, maybe it's not that good - but if you have a couple hours to waste, here it is!

No time was wasted -- the report was everything you promised! Thanks so much for sharing.

I haven't started mine yet. I'm having a very slow moving day, which started only after noon with a nap thrown in, and I still have some chores to take care of around the house. But now that you've set the bar high for ride reports, I'd better take my time anyway.

Slowest Rider
    The main down-side to any iPhone GPS app (at least in the "plain" iPhone 4 I'm using) is that using GPS really sucks the battery down. So you'll be needing to recharge the phone also.

I like the old-school Garmin Etrex Vista C or Cx; just bring along extra AA's and you'll have all the data you need. As long as you hear the low-battery "beep". (or check it from time-to-time).
    Indeed, a phone GPS, and even the bicycle oriented Edge line of GPS units, are just simply not up to enduring long 12+ hour rides at Henry Coe. All too often I unfortunately see Henry Coe reports with the last part of epic rides missing, along with guesses on the stats for the heroic effort.

I use the larger 60CSx for the big screen, but also very much like the smaller Vista Cx you mention. It's a nice compact unit with a similar size screen to the Edge, uses replaceable AA batteries that's essential for Coe, and has maximum function capability and software versatility. Best of all, the price is half that of the Edge. Plymmer uses the Vista for Henry Coe.

BTW, where's Plymmer's usual long write up that's always great to read?

Slowest Rider

Thanks for the write up. I could feel your pain on each of those ride sections.

I found some humor in your ending remark "since I told Bruce I’d be done ages ago, and I was worried that he’d be worried." Everyone who's ridden Henry Coe knows better than to believe anticipated schedules based on what a ride "should be". Even though I think I'm being conservative on ride time, my wife now automatically adds a few hours before she even starts to worry when I'm late from Henry Coe.

I now use a SPOT satellite beacon, which besides the safety advantage, also lets my wife see my ride progress and know I'm OK when out at Henry Coe and other remote areas.

MarkyMark
    Mudworm, Mr Mud, BBundy + crew: Terrific riding to finish/survive! I can't get myself to even consider doing something this brutal!

I'll be reading more of the ride reports as they trickle in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finally I pulled my thumb out (as they say in Australia), and posted up on blogger the full gut-wrenching, suspenseful, humorous, sad, and triumphant report.

Great writeup shredchic, thoroughly enjoyed the read!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    that hurt.

I bailed. My Garmin 800 croaked again just before Dutches. 87 miles for me.
    You let a girl beat you ?? way to let Dudeism down

I only jest, strong showing by both of you especially Mei

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    You let a girl beat you ?? way to let Dudeism down

I only jest, strong showing by both of you especially Mei
    yeah I know but what a girl.

So I figured I would become the first sponsor of the Coe 100. Leadville has the 12 hour cut off to get the belt buckle. I will make the Coe 100 an 18 hour cut off since everyone should be able to beat a girl

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Damn, you all guys suck.. (Kidding of course). But looks like not many people signed up for the Nov. 1 bike version of the orienteering race at Coe, and Vladimir will pull it. I guess most people prefer getting their 24hr rides in circles. Oh, well, will go on my own. Just wished Coe gets some bike racing in - such a perfect place for an endurance event.

I am talking about this one: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...-a-848697.html

middle ring single track

Are you saying cancelled???

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Damn, you all guys suck.. (Kidding of course). But looks like not many people signed up for the Nov. 1 bike version of the orienteering race at Coe, and Vladimir will pull it. I guess most people prefer getting their 24hr rides in circles. Oh, well, will go on my own. Just wished Coe gets some bike racing in - such a perfect place for an endurance event.

I am talking about this one: https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...-a-848697.html
    This was something I'd like to do someday but it I've got conflicting stuff on my calendar for this year.

I think I may have stumbled onto one of the event's checkpoints (if they're starting to put them out already):

Last Saturday; somewhere in Coe. (Hint; this was located near the route of the HardCOEre100)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    This was something I'd like to do someday but it I've got conflicting stuff on my calendar for this year.
    Stop by Fort Ord in March, good place to get used to ride with a map in this competition format. hope it will not be too wet.

Too bad it is not happening this year.. Now I need to find a partner if I want to go on foot. (Solo not allowed on foot, as it is off trails for a large part). Hope Vladimir does not get discouraged and people sign up next year. Folks should not be afraid of maps.

That would have been an epic ride.. 20+12hr.. I think I should do that on my own now, if I can get the planned checkpoint locations.

Actual checkpoints look like a standard orienteering white/orange cube, but could be he already marked some spots for placing them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Nice Read, Shred

Nice read, Shred Chic. I especially enjoyed the bathroom humor part, and how the "secret is safe with you."

lol! I am glad to see more well-deserved green next to your avatar.

mtbr member
    yeah I know but what a girl.

So I figured I would become the first sponsor of the Coe 100. Leadville has the 12 hour cut off to get the belt buckle. I will make the Coe 100 an 18 hour cut off since everyone should be able to beat a girl
    Yes anyone finishing in under 18 hours has been officially Fraulined!
    https://soundcloud.com/grundelbruisers/fraulined-112012

middle ring single track

Fraulined

Yes anyone finishing in under 18 hours has been officially Fraulined!
    https://soundcloud.com/grundelbruisers/fraulined-112012
    +1

...more times than I can remember!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That is great. Had to pass it no to others. Nice find.
    I guess in another sense if they want a mug they have to be wife beaters....

I'm a "she".
    That is great. Had to pass it on to others. Nice find.
    I guess in another sense if they want a mug they have to be wife beaters....
    WHU???

You don't really mean this, do you?
    Last edited by mudworm; 10-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    that is fantastic. Best trophy I have seen.

I'm a "she".

I like mtn biking, too
    I want so badly to LOL at that mug, but it's just wrong.
    ~Fairfaxian

I'm a "she".
    I want so badly to LOL at that mug, but it's just wrong.
    I know! Talking like that could really get him in trouble!

I'm a "she".

Our stories

We both saw this rock art laid out loud and clear in the wide Pacheco Ridge Road shortly before the turnoff to Phoneline Tr. Considering it was not far from Pacheco, I’d say, Charlie was the main suspect. Wouldn’t you agree? The big COE 100 logo out in the middle of nowhere is an acknowledgement of our effort. Mr. Mud and I alike, it made our day. We both had to stop and take some pictures of it (this one came from Mr. Mud as he had the better lighting). Thank you, Charlie!

On this ride, I scared away about three dozen wild boars, I flirted with Mr. Pepé Le Pew... and I discovered the joy of night riding.

I rode from before sun rise (oh wait, that’s the full moon above the fall foliage)
    IMG 2094

to way past sun down.
    IMG 2107

I finally finished pedaling when the GPS registered almost a full 100 miles.
    IMG 2109

I did not crush the course, nor did the course crush me. I am sorry there is no drama, but I still have a story to tell even if it sounded rather mundane. As usual, it is a long story, almost too long to paste here as a post. So, please venture away for a moment if you care to read about a mudworm's Hard COEre 100.

And Mr. Mud, with already 80+ miles and near 17000’ of climbing behind him, he decided to bail. I would have made the same call – it’s only sensible under the circumstances. And I admire him for taking it very well being so close to completion. He made light of the situation and had a helluva (funny) story to tell.

Those are our stories. Will there be yours?

To each his own.

P.S. Oh, thanks again to all of you who gave us the green chicklets! I think they will bring us strength on our next endeavor!

More pie please
    A couple more pictures from mudworm's pitstop at Pacheco Camp:

mudworm was riding without a backpack so I had to get a photo of her bike to see how she stowed things.

Great write-ups shredchic, Mr Mud, and mudworm !!!!!

Paul L, is that marker in the Cross Canyon streambed? There's been one there for a while. And was that you honking as they passed Hunting Hollow Saturday morning? If so I didn't quickly recognize your truck with a horse trailer and a ton of stuff loaded in it.

///Charlie

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

^^^ @ Pacheco Camp in the seafoam green Rubbermaid water trough!
    Long live long rides

I like mtn biking, too
    Love the burrito stuffed in the little bento box thingy, lol!
    ~Fairfaxian

middle ring single track

Paul L, is that marker in the Cross Canyon streambed? There's been one there for a while. And was that you honking as they passed Hunting Hollow Saturday morning? If so I didn't quickly recognize your truck with a horse trailer and a ton of stuff loaded in it.

///Charlie
    RE marker yes Cross Canyon; I was hoping Vlad would pop in here and remark---perhaps it's not his?

RE honking; yeah that was me; I was tagging along for my wife's entrance test into Coe's Mounted Assistance Unit. Both the rider and the horse must pass; I wasn't very optimistic for success on the first try but they both passed.

Here's one of those IQ test pictures "what doesn't belong in this collection of objects":

The MAU event was attended by something like 19 horses? I was looking for the wheel tracks of the makeup HardCOEre 100 bikes before the horses went through; not much to see as I guess only mudworm and mudncrud rode through.

Here a group nears the top of the CCT "wall"; unlike me on my bike all of these riders cleaned it:

My wife's #2; her horse doesn't know that drafting doesn't work at low speeds.

Some of the horses made it all the way up to Milias Tr without stopping; some rested once, some rested 2x and some walked their horses on the steep pitch.
    Gratuitous bike photo:

The equestrians usually asked if I would go ahead on the downhills; on the climbs I either mixed in or followed. Yes I rode over plenty of horse poo. Here I was well out in front on the Blue Tank Springs Connector Trail:

This is as close as it gets to legally riding "cross country" in the Park.

Stopped to take another limb off the Coit Springs Trail tree than you(?) and plymmer (and others?) had cleaned up:

Before

After

I'm a "she".
    Love the burrito stuffed in the little bento box thingy, lol!
    It stayed that way all the way to the end. At Pacheco, I took three small bites, commented to Charlie that "I hope this thing would not make me sick" and stowed it away. It was already tasting sour --spoiled-- then, but I didn't throw it away at Dowdy because I might need it later in some dire situations, say, if it took me all night to get back. Thankfully, I didn't have to eat it again. I ate so many gels and bars on this ride that later my teeth got sensitive when I downed yet another gel. At least, they don't spoil.

Paul L. It's so cool that you went through the same area we went through earlier in the day! Must be fun to leap frog with those beautiful horses. I cleaned the CCT wall on foot just like those horses did. And congrats to your wife for passing the test.

I like mtn biking, too
    Nice stories muds!

mudworm - I am wondering if the bird you saw that lifted off with no sound could have been a dwarf owl - a really tiny one like the one Marco photographed. At least, owls are the only ones I know that are silent in flight. Amazing about the boars! Holy moly. I would have been scared.

This guy puts a spare tube under the top tube, too:

Jeff Kendall-Weed's Ibis Ripley at the Santa Cruz Super Enduro - PIT BITS - 2013 Santa Cruz Super Enduro - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

You say you weren't feeling as strong as usual, but still crushed it, in my mind! Congrats!!!
    ~Fairfaxian

More pie please
    mudworm - I am wondering if the bird you saw that lifted off with no sound could have been a dwarf owl - a really tiny one like the one Marco photographed. At least, owls are the only ones I know that are silent in flight.

Roy actually got a photo of one once...from Turkey Pond Trail Work - 3-5-'11:

Quote Originally Posted by plymmer View Post
    …It was indeed getting dark. Dark enough to depress the switch that employs my helmet light. On the road I kept seeing a light in the trail that would float upward before I got a chance to come close:

Finally I got close enough to see what it was. At first I couldn't get my camera out fast enough but I soon was able to get this shot and resolve my queries of said upward floating lights:

What peculiar foul is this? Is it a small owl? Anybody care to weigh in on this? It did fly off but I did get a chance to really check the little fella out. Stunning plumage.

Roy.
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    That's a nighthawk or nightjar (not exactly sure, I'm not a birder), used to see them all the time in early night in the Whites and elsewhere on the eastside of the Sierra. They sit in the road until the last second, then explode upwards.

Common Nighthawk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    I took one of those birds to the mouth one time on a high speed downhill, got home and there was a bit of blood on my chin and jersey(mine, not the birds!). Anytime on a night ride now I slow down and call out when I see what appears to be a glowing marble ahead. They seem to like wide exposed fire roads.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Weird Bird!

Nice Writeup Mudworm.

Nice stories muds!

mudworm - I am wondering if the bird you saw that lifted off with no sound could have been a dwarf owl - a really tiny one like the one Marco photographed. At least, owls are the only ones I know that are silent in flight. Amazing about the boars! Holy moly. I would have been scared.
    Ha, the picture that Skyline posted is a bird I saw last year. It scared the crap out of me because I saw it, and it looked kind of freaky with its glowing red eye. I literally blinked, and it was gone. It was late at night, and I thought that I was having some kind of delusions - like I imagined it. If it really HAD been there, there should be a cloud of dust or sound, but there was no evidence of this mysterious bird having been there or departing. I thought it was kind of early for hallucinations. Thankfully, others have seen this bird, and explained the mystery.

I'm a "she".

More on the mysterious bird

Ahh... that reminded me. I read this from Brian's last year's report. At the time, his words and photo tripped me out and reminded me of The Blair Witch Project, which was a big inhibitor for me to venture outdoors for a long time. Good that I forgot about it before the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lucido
    During the dark, I saw a big pig, fox, deer, skunk, and a mysterious vanishing bird that disappeared without sound or even a dust cloud when I went to take a picture.

A Bird (Can you see it?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I saw probably 15 or 20 of these last night towards the tail end of my ride coming back on Wagon between Center Flats and Willson Camp. Ted assures me they are "Common Poorwill" which is a variety of nightjar Common Poorwill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a "she".
    I have two reason for bringing back this old thread:

1) I only just learned this three days ago: fulmar2 IS Brian L. -- the course record holder! I had always thought fulmar2 was the guy who rode with plymmer and Sorcerer! Maybe it was because of his earlier post:
    Looking back, my quote of Brian seemed so weird right after his own account of the mysterious bird. Sorry about that.

2) I rode with "all the old Coe Hoes" (in ratpick's words) this weekend, and naturally the topic of Coe 100 came up. It reminded me that many people on the thread were bummed last year that they could not fit the ride in due to the very short notice. Well, how about a 7 month notice this time? In the past few years, the official Coe 100 always took place on the day of Tarantula Festival. Well, it will be Oct 4 in 2014. ...Or, I guess you can ride it any day that works for you, like we did.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Count me in for 2014… unless I catch the flu like I did in 2013.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm;110282992) I rode with "all the old Coe Hoes" (in ratpick's words) this weekend, and naturally the topic of Coe 100 came up. It reminded me that many people on the thread were bummed last year that they could not fit the ride in due to the very short notice. Well, how about a 7 month notice this time? In the past few years, the official Coe 100 always took place on the day of Tarantula Festival. Well, it will be [b
    Oct 4[/b] in 2014. ...Or, I guess you can ride it any day that works for you, like we did.
    I haven't signed up for Levi's GF this year so I should be free to relive the pain...

I like mtn biking, too

2013 Hard COEre 100

I am in! I am not yet confident enough to commit to trying the 100 miles, but it would be fun to try to improve on my 62mile time. Really enjoyed the route.
    ~Fairfaxian

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I am in! I am not yet confident enough to commit to trying the 100 miles, but it would be fun to try to improve on my 62mile time. Really enjoyed the route.
    I’ve seen some of the big-ass rides you have done. I know you can complete the metric 100 for sure… but you’d be surprised how weak the mind is compared to the body – the mind throws in the towel when the body still has 30+ miles and 6,000+ feet of climbing available in reserve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I

It reminded me that many people on the thread were bummed last year that they could not fit the ride in due to the very short notice. Well, how about a 7 month notice this time? In the past few years, the official Coe 100 always took place on the day of Tarantula Festival. Well, it will be Oct 4 in 2014. ...Or, I guess you can ride it any day that works for you, like we did.
    Two more weeks... is there a start time?

I'm a "she".
    Awesome. Which route are you going for?

Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Two more weeks... is there a start time?
    Hmm... does anyone else have the official answer to that?

I haven't decided if I will return this year, but if I do, I'll probably just start riding whenever I'm ready.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Last time I did it (October 2012) we headed out sometime around 6:00-ish in the AM hour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome. Which route are you going for?
    I'd like to try the 100 mile version, but it depends how I feel riding this week. I've only been hiking and climbing for the past 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Last time I did it (October 2012) we headed out sometime around 6:00-ish in the AM hour.
    6:00 AM sounds like a good time

Hipster

2013 Hard COEre 100

I am also considering a version that starts the night before around midnight to allow for a daylight finish.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post
    I am also considering a version that starts the night before around midnight to allow for a daylight finish.
    That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I’ll just need to bring extra battery packs for my light setup.

I like mtn biking, too
    Something is amiss on the hardcoere100.com website. At least, I don't see any update about 2014, and 2013 results are missing. I presume some other crazy folks will be out there Oct. 4th? Anyway, I may end up doing the metric the following weekend, since we're gonna be backpacking the 4th. (oops!)
    ~Fairfaxian

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I would expect to see the following HardCore folks there:

• Ratpick
    • elHombre
    • Brian Lucido
    • Mudworm
    • Mudcrud
    • Plymmer
    • Skyline35
    • Mboldt
    • Liehan Loots

and the other usual suspects, whose MTBR handles I’ve forgotten in my old age.

But for sure—yes—let’s all try to agree on a start time. While Mboldt’s “midnight start time” (on technically Saturday morning at midnight) proposal sounds like a great idea, the phase of the moon and batteries for lights come to the forefront for me in terms of concerns. Better to get the majority of the ride done when the air is cool, for sure, but navigating the majority of the ride at night might not be as easy as it sounds. I am thinking at a non-Brian-Lucido pace (read: mere mortals) right around 19-20 hours should be do-able without working too hard. The prolonged breaks were what made it difficult for me back in 2012.

Let’s make some plans. Next weekend is almost here.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 09-27-2014 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know of 3-4 Coe/Gilroy locals who are planning on joining (Bob S., Alex K., Bruce H and Brett H.). I don't think they are on MTBR so I'll make sure to relay the information. I'm pretty sure they were set on the 6AM departure but I'll keep following for the up to date information.

FYI, myself and many in that group have been clearing most of the obstacle and downed trees over the last few weeks (down tree on Spike Jones, Coit Springs, Middle Ridge, Grapevine and more). Course should be ready to go so go out there and enjoy!

I like mtn biking, too
    I would expect to see the following HardCore folks there:

• Ratpick
    • elHombre
    • Brian Lucido
    • Mudworm
    • Mudcrud
    • Plymmer
    • Skyline35
    • Mboldt
    • Liehan Loots
    I thought Plymmer was done with Coe - not enough mileage.

Anyone want to do a last-minute, spur-of-the-moment 70 mile 7k of feet ride from Felton to Big Basin & Butano and back along hwy 1 tomorrow a.m. (Sunday)? It would be an easy "cool-down" for the 100 mile next weekend, especially at my pace. PM me for details.
    ~Fairfaxian

King Of Tooth Tarter

Wha...

Did someone say something?

I thought Plymmer was done with Coe - not enough mileage.

Anyone want to do a last-minute, spur-of-the-moment 70 mile 7k of feet ride from Felton to Big Basin & Butano and back along hwy 1 tomorrow a.m. (Sunday)? It would be an easy "cool-down" for the 100 mile next weekend, especially at my pace. PM me for details.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Bumpity bump dabump. Weekend is coming up. I tested my legs the other day on the 219-mile SS ride from Pismo to San Jo, they checked out fine.

I like mtn biking, too
    Did someone say something?
    Aw, just joking after talking with you on the solstice ride about randonneuring.

Imagine a 600k in Coe.
    ~Fairfaxian

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Brian Lucido raised a valid point over on one of the conversation threads on Strava. His point? Dirk hasn’t updated the HardCoe(re)100 page, and so therefore there isn’t a great sense of structure around the 2014 version. Meaning, I have no great organisational skills for a non-supported ride of this magnitude, having only ever ridden at Coe 6 or 7 times before. Perhaps it’s best to just wait for 2015? Anyone else capable of organising something last-minute?

More pie please
    Brian Lucido raised a valid point over on one of the conversation threads on Strava. His point? Dirk hasn’t updated the HardCoe(re)100 page, and so therefore there isn’t a great sense of structure around the 2014 version. Meaning, I have no great organisational skills for a non-supported ride of this magnitude, having only ever ridden at Coe 6 or 7 times before. Perhaps it’s best to just wait for 2015? Anyone else capable of organising something last-minute?
    The Hard COEre 100 is orphaned but the routes exist. Just go out and do it.

Saturday 4 October 2014 Pacific Daylight Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 6:38 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:04 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:55 p.m.
    Sunset 6:45 p.m.
    End civil twilight 7:11 p.m.

MOON
    Moonrise 3:37 p.m. on preceding day
    Moonset 2:44 a.m.
    Moonrise 4:20 p.m.
    Moon transit 10:03 p.m.
    Moonset 3:53 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 4 October: waxing gibbous with 82% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

I think the high temps predicted for Saturday is putting people off, me included (100km). Here are forecasts for a few spots in Coe:

Hunting Hollow

Park HQ

Dowdy Ranch

Mississippi Lake

...so just go out and do it but maybe on a cooler day. Unless you're plymmer...

Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    FYI, myself and many in that group have been clearing most of the obstacle and downed trees over the last few weeks (down tree on Spike Jones, Coit Springs, Middle Ridge, Grapevine and more). Course should be ready to go so go out there and enjoy!
    Cool! Thanks for your work !!!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Let go lightly
    Those temp forecasts definitely too much for me to consider the 100k but I'll keep an eye out here in case you all try another weekend.
    Alex

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not that I'm thinking about it, but has anyone considered what loop they'd tack on for the Everest challenge?

I'll still be out there regardless of temps. It won't be worse than the foothills out of Auburn.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Thanks Skyline35 for the weather forecast information for Coe – just as I had anticipated. Having ridden there before when it was 117°F in the shade at Jackrabbit Lake, I don’t fancy a prolonged exposure with such temperatures. When I last did the ride (October 2012) there were frozen puddles of water in the Hunting Hollow parking lot, and by mid-day the temperatures were up in the 80°F range, only to dip back down to the 40°F range by the time we returned. Perhaps another weekend indeed.

mtbr member
    It was perfect for this last weekend, dial back your time machine and go for it!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I can setup a page

Hipster

2013 Hard COEre 100

Last Sunday was quite nice, misty and never got much above 62 or my ride at Coe. This weekend will be quite different. Discovered a cracked wheel on my bike of choice this week so I'd be up for a reschedule.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone have the kmz/kml maps that are divided into north and south and look like the official paper map? I seem to have lost the south section.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was planning on riding but am most likely going to skip this weekend due to the hot temperatures. I'd say at the moment I'm <5% keen. Is anyone actually planning on riding tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like the locals are ready to do it. The question is now if they'll go for the 100k or 100 miles. Regardless and even with some acclimation to this heat, it will be hard.

I believe we are planning on our usual 6AM departure time. I'm personally not as fit as my riding buddies so I'll just give them moral support and ride the metric course up to HQ. I'll let the big boys keep going on their journey after that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If other people are planning on 6 AM, that's when I'll start. Anyone know if rangers would check for people sleeping in cars at Hunting Hollow?

More pie please
    I know of 3-4 Coe/Gilroy locals who are planning on joining (Bob S., Alex K., Bruce H and Brett H.). I don't think they are on MTBR so I'll make sure to relay the information. I'm pretty sure they were set on the 6AM departure but I'll keep following for the up to date information.
    Looks like the locals are ready to do it. The question is now if they'll go for the 100k or 100 miles. Regardless and even with some acclimation to this heat, it will be hard.

I believe we are planning on our usual 6AM departure time. I'm personally not as fit as my riding buddies so I'll just give them moral support and ride the metric course up to HQ. I'll let the big boys keep going on their journey after that.
    That group is all over the Strava leaderboards at Coe. Brett H. is the one that mudworm was battling for the 100km fast time last spring. It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow.

Best to all riding!
    ///Charlie (going coastside this weekend)
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track
    If other people are planning on 6 AM, that's when I'll start. Anyone know if rangers would check for people sleeping in cars at Hunting Hollow?
    Pretty unlikely but park rules are "no car camping at the Hunting Hollowing entrance". I'm guessing you know that already...

But is sitting in your car "waiting for the sun to come up" camping? YMMV

Just be sure to pay your daily use (parking) fee and you should be OK.

Let go lightly
    Enjoy the ride - admirable in that heat. Way too hot for me!

Alex

I'm a "she".
    I don't know what got into your head, but guess I've been there myself. I like to think I'm saner now (although in reality I'm just lazier). Anyway, have a great ride tomorrow, you crazy bunch, i.e. "the locals" and michael1! Tell us how it went.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Good luck to everyone out there in the Coe blast furnace!!! I’ll be enjoying slightly less toasty temperatures on the trails in Santa Cruz today.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    good riding to all. Wish I could be out there instead of nursing a broken collar bone. I was looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    10 miles in I decided to switch to the metric version, which I think was a good choice since my overall time was a very slow 15 hrs 18 mins. Rode with plymmer from HQ to Pacheco Camp. It was moderately hot around bear mountain and we had to take breaks to avoid heat exhaustion.

Once I got back to my car at 10:00 PM I was probably hyponatremic since I'd only consumed about 3 grams of salt, but 8 liters of water. I drove to In-N-Out, got McDonald's fries from across the street, two double-double burgers animal style, and a shake.

I still had 2 hours of driving then to get back to SLO. After one hour I was feeling very tired so I got off the freeway and slept in my car. Now I'm back in SLO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great stuff Michael. Takes one dedicated soul to embark on that journey, solo, on a 100F day. I only went about 5500 ft and 26 miles and was already feeling it.

Bob S. and Alex K. made the 100 miles course in 18 hours 5 minutes. I dont have all the details but it apparently was so hot on Bear Mtn that their IPhones were shutting off because of the heat. I'll let them post their ride report...

As for myself, I only "supported" them part of the way. I left them off at Cross Canyon. I was hoping to see them again at Lost Spring and Chine Hole but I was running low on time and water and decided just to go down/up China Hole and get back to HH. Our other buddy Bruce met them at HQ and rode the course to Pacheco Camp before splitting off to return to HH and let them go on the last leg to Dowdy Ranch.

As of this morning 8AM, Plymmer had not made it back to his car. He's pretty experienced at this so I'm sure he's fine. I met him briefly on the trail and he said he could be going for the Everest challenge.

I'm a "she".
    Kudos to all who rode yesterday and congratulations to Michael, Bob, and Alex for achieving your goal! plymmer has also just posted his track, so I think all are accounted for and glad that everyone made it home safe.

diskus
    Bravo to all!!

What an effort! I cant imagine the conditions out there

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wow, you brave souls. 100°F+ temperatures in Coe must have made enduring the 100 miles mentally maddening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone have links to where GPS tracks were posted?

More pie please
    The temps:

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

Congratulations to Alex, Bob, and Michael! Roy had to abandon due to light troubles. (More stories from the day can be found on Strava and Ride With GPS. (btw, I've given Michael the links.))

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hot!

Wow, that was hot! Also, it was hot for a long time too. Michael, so you're from SLO? Skyline, I think it would be OK to put a link to Roy's ride report right here, no? Are there any other ride reports out there?

Slowest Rider
    Ride Reports Please! You guys posted this ride for a while.

Then you did something especially incredible with addition of the extreme heat. I've love to hear about it.

And Roy is usually so much more verbose. Where's his word?

More pie please
    Skyline, I think it would be OK to put a link to Roy's ride report right here, no? Are there any other ride reports out there?
    My reluctance is me being protective of Roy. No doubt he has beat himself up enough already over his light strategy and I didn’t want to subject him to criticism from random people on the internet but I’ll email him and ask.

Hopefully adagioca will let us know if Alex or Bob write about their day. Beyond that, AFAIK, there is just Strava chatter.

@Larry, an email is on the way.

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 10-07-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track
    My reluctance is me being protective of Roy. No doubt he has beat himself up enough already over his light strategy and I didn’t want to subject him to criticism from random people on the internet but I’ll email him and ask.

Hopefully adagioca will let us know if Alex or Bob write about their day.

@Larry, an email is on the way.

///Charlie
    Yeah poor Roy is probably a little ashamed of going over to the "other" side; we certainly would never think of embarrassing him here.

Regardless of Roy and his past life at MTBR; the ride report linked from Strava (hint, hint) needed membership (at least for me) at RidewithGPS to view----a bit of a PITA if not a regular RidewithGPS user.

More pie please
    Regardless of Roy and his past life at MTBR; the ride report linked from Strava (hint, hint) needed membership (at least for me) at RidewithGPS to view----a bit of a PITA if not a regular RidewithGPS user.
    I can see the write-up without a membership; right side pane, "Overview" tab, scroll down some. (Firefox,Win7)
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track
    I can see the write-up without a membership; right side pane, "Overview" tab, scroll down some. (Firefox,Win7)
    This is kind of drifting off-topic; but we aren't having to talk about Plymmer spending his night sleeping in an outhouse.

In Chrome the linked page opens up looking like this:

No map; no scrolling; hitting the play button does nothing; only the "SIGNUP NOW" button works.

However; once you visit the "SIGNUP NOW" and come back to the linked page it all becomes functional. (whether or not you sign up)

Which I didn't do the first time; I signed up for the "free trial"---the bastards got me!

I'm a "she".
    ...but we aren't having to talk about Plymmer spending his night sleeping in an outhouse....
    Now you are making it sound worse than it was -- that is a real bathroom, flush and all. (Ever having to cook in an outhouse before?) Oh, BTW, when I was there last time (in May), the doors to the bathrooms at DR were locked. That was during the day too! The plants in the back needed some watering anyway. Forgot to mention it earlier, so I'm glad that there was no surprise this past weekend.

mtbr member
    At least he was not picking up "Used" Toilet paper this time

Glad no one died trying to do this in that heat

King Of Tooth Tarter
    OK. Sorry for the silence. I feel let down intensely. Yeah, I ride a road bike now but am not too afraid to challenge myself on dirt. I suppose I shouldn't be so one-sided. Anyway, here's my report via strava Bike Ride Profile | The Last of The Great Pretenders near Gilroy | Times and Records | Strava and ridewithgps.com Hard CoeRe 100 2014 - Gilroy, CA.

Stupid me trusting a magic shine. My own fault. Good to be back (at least for a while).

Roy.

middle ring single track
    OK. Sorry for the silence. I feel let down intensely. Yeah, I ride a road bike now but am not too afraid to challenge myself on dirt. I suppose I shouldn't be so one-sided. Anyway, here's my report via strava Bike Ride Profile | The Last of The Great Pretenders near Gilroy | Times and Records | Strava and ridewithgps.com Hard CoeRe 100 2014 - Gilroy, CA.

Stupid me trusting a magic shine. My own fault. Good to be back (at least for a while).

Roy.
    Bikes are bikes in my book.

That's a great story BTW; glad it's come out of the closet so to speak.

Are you using the original "Tragic Shine" batteries or the recall replacements?

And I promise to stop after this; if you were a more attentive Coe Bike Patroller; you would have known how to get into the Dowdy VC where you could have slept on a bed. (Snicker snicker...)

King Of Tooth Tarter
    I'm using a MJ-872 Magic Shine. Wiring issue. I contacted Magic Shine USA and they have mentioned it to the company in China and don't see it as an issue. I guess when your light stops working in the middle of the night going down a super steep dirt trail really doesn't concern them. It is a good unit with wiring flaws. The failure was in the connector on the light side. Known issue. I used the cable from my original Magic Shine light (that the LED failed probably because of age. Either that or it hates me) and it seems to be working. Not much fun.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bob S. Ride Report

Here is verbatim a ride report from Bob S. You can find him on Strava (Bob Steed | Cyclist on Strava).

Ride report preface:

I did not know about the Hard Coe’re 100 until my rock climbing buddy Clint mentioned it to me last year on one of our many drives to Yosemite Valley. He had heard about it from other Yosemite/Pinnacles rock climbers who also mtn bike: the Mud family- Mudworm and Mud crud. I looked it up on the interweb and the race sounded perfect- no entry fee, no forms to fill out, no t-shirt, no support, no hassles, start when you want, etc. I’ve never raced before and I’m not all that keen on the big organized rides. For me it would be a challenge to just complete the 100 miles. I have been mtn biking since 1989, but I had never ridden more than 50 miles on dirt, and certainly not more than 10,000’ of up on a mtn bike in a single day. I have ridden the Death Ride several times on the road bike (129 miles, 16,000’ vert) and I recall feeling pretty beat at the end of the ride. The Hard Coe’re 100 would be much harder because of the steepness, duration, and amount of vert, but at the same time much more fun because, well, it’s mtn biking. The Coe 100 duration factor- spending 18 hours on a bike- how would I fare? I was hoping that my experience of climbing up long wall routes in Yosemite- single push routes that took 15 to 30 hours with no sleep would help with the mental aspect of the ride. But the physical aspect? - Could my skinny legs pedal for that long? I guess that it what it was about for me- to see if I could do it.

My neighbor and mtn biking buddy Marc introduced me to the rides of South Coe shortly after I moved to Gilroy in 2013. He showed me his Strava App and I joined the dark side at the start of 2014. It was through Strava that I met Bruce and Alex and other awesome Coe locals. Bruce is the master of Coe segments and knows where they all start and stop. So when we all ride together Bruce points out the segments and then we try to kill each other racing up and down the mountain- very good training, I suppose. It’s amazing we are all still in one piece. Bruce will be the death of us! This last spring Alex came off the bike and was stabbed by a tree branch and Bruce sliced open his elbow. Anyway, earlier this year I told the boys (Marc, Bruce, and Alex) that I was going to do the 100 and asked who wanted to join. “No way, man”. Come on guys, we ride here all the time… The only one we knew who was actually qualified to ride the 100 was Brett the enduro-Aussie. He regularly rides insane distances on the mtn bike including sanctioned endurance races. He was up for it, but got sick and had to pass this year. The boys eventually got their stoke on and were planning on doing the 100K version. But then they saw the weather report calling for record temps and wisely decided that perhaps another weekend would be better. I am not wise, so I told the guys that I’m still going, rain or shine, solo. Alex is the strongest in the group and more than capable of doing the 100 mile ride- he is the fastest all-around rider at Coe and has quite the collection of KOMs for both uphill and downhill segments- he had just never done many longer endurance rides. After unsuccessful attempts to get me to switch to the 100K, Alex decided to join me on the 100 mile, just one day before the start. He didn’t want me to go off by myself to get dried up by the sun, attacked by tarantulas, lost, etc. Instead, we would now both get dried up by the sun, attacked by tarantulas, lost, etc. Marc would ride the first leg with Alex and I and then Bruce would meet us at HQ and join us for the 3rd leg.

Ride report Oct 4, 2014:

I rolled into the Hunting Hollow parking lot just after 6AM. It’s dark and a little chilly. There are two cars in the lot, one with a bike on it and Plymouth Valiant with a bike rack on it, but no bike. The car with the bike belonged to Michael of SLO. The car without the bike was Plymmer’s car we would find out later- he began around 4AM. Marc rolled in at about 615AM and we got ready for the ride. No Alex yet… maybe he came to his senses? Michael came over to our cars and introduced himself. He said that he wasn’t decided on whether to do the 100K or 100 mile. Around 10 minutes later, Alex shows up in his convertible Miata with his bike strapped with the seat belt in the back seat, half hanging over the trunk- his version of a bike rack. OK, everyone accounted for. Time to ride.

Michael joined us for the start at 640AM. There was just enough daylight that we did not need to turn the lights on. Marc led the way for us up Lyman-Wilson. Marc is a big dude. Built like a linebacker- the kind of guy you want next to you in a bar fight or when you need help moving something heavy- but graceful and fast on the mtn bike. He paced Alex and I so we wouldn’t take off too fast and burn out. When we got to the LW Wall we all walked, keen to save the legs for the long haul. This was the last time we saw Michael. He dropped off the back a bit and then we couldn’t see him on the ridge when we went on Bowl towards Wilson Camp. It was smooth sailing up to Wilson Peak, not too hot yet, even though we were in the sun. Then the fun 4 miles of downhill to Coit Road, remembering to try to not pedal hard out of the switchbacks. Got to save the energy. We took a break to eat and say goodbye to Marc at the intersection of Cross Canyon and Coit. He would continue on Coit to Mahoney and China Hole, then return to Hunting Hollow.

Cross Canyon was fun going down. We had done some clearing of brush several weeks before so that it was possible to get by without getting PO or whacked by branches. At the creek bed it was nice and cool. We motored our way along and then up the side of the mountain to Willow Road and the Hoover airstrip. More easy going to the start of the Willow single track downhill. It was warm enough now to notice, but not too bad. The DH was fun, but a bit overgrown with brush and PO in several places. Maybe that will be the next project once the weather cools off in November… Next we suffered up the Mahoney fire road to the start of Lost Spring by hiking the bikes on most of the steep stuff. Lost Spring was mostly ride-able without redlining, but had a tree down (note to self… bring saw next time up/down Lost Spring). We made it to the top of the trail and then shot down to China Hole. Then up towards HQ, passing the “oven” bushes on the southwest side of the ridge. For some reason that portion of the trail really absorbs the suns heat and there is no breeze at all. We filled up a couple of water bottles at the first campsite where the single track ends. We would pound the water in the next 2 miles to HQ, then fill up again at HQ.

Just before getting to HQ we run into Bruce. He has brought us a care package from Alex’s family- watermelon and sandwiches. And also some ice to add to our water bottles. Bruce tells us that he ran into Plymmer, but we did not see him during our time at HQ (we didn’t go into the main festival area). So after stuffing down as much food as possible (I was already pretty full before getting to HQ since I had been eating the spam musubi rice balls that my wife had made for me) we took off towards Flat Frog Trail. I actually saw two flattened frogs on the fire road just after FF Trail! Our pace was mellow on Flat Frog and I got a bit complacent on one of the tight turns toward the end of the trail- my seat was high and I didn’t go as fast as I should have to maintain momentum on the turn. I pitched off the bike to the right, ending up in a small ravine with my bike on top of me. Since it was a slow speed crash there was no real harm done. Just some scrapes and bruises and a bloody hole in my UV leggings. The funny thing was we were just chatting about crashing just seconds before the crash. I guess I am susceptible to subliminal suggestion…?

We worked our way up the fire road to the start of Middle Ridge singletrack. The FR was plenty hot and we were sweating bullets. We were greeted at the start of Middle Ridge by a big, newly-downed tree. A bummer, really, because I had just cleared several downed trees on that trail just 2 weeks before so we would have smooth sailing for the ride. Maybe the drought is weakening the trees? After a fun downhill the three of us slogged up the hot and dusty Poverty fire road. We walked the moondust section and at one point Bruce started pulling away, riding up the FR while we were walking. Maybe that was a test… neither Alex nor I chased him down, though that’s what we would normally do J. We re-joined Bruce at the top and then shot down to that single track connector to the creek trail. It was really hot, but there was not much uphill on the way to the dreaded Bear Mountain, so we just tooled along, enjoying the neat rock patterns in the creek bed. When we got to Bear Mountain around 2pm it was really hot. No one even thought about trying to ride up the thing. So it was mostly hike-a-bike with the sun beating down on us. Every step was difficult and deliberate. About half way up we noticed that Alex’s phone hadn’t spoken to him in a while. He has some app that gives you your mileage every so often and is also supposed to tell you where to turn. He took his I-phone out of his pack and found that it turned itself off. The error message said it was due to overheating, so Alex put it next to his water bladder to cool it off and it re-started, but he lost part of the GPS track. Bruce also has an I-phone and his overheated as well. My old Droid phone with no voice that talks to me to me did just fine, by the way. It may have helped that it was in my pocket and not in a pack? We got to the top and shot down the fire road towards Mississippi Lake. After the heat and slow going on Bear Mountain we were surprised how cool it felt to be going downhill. We were drenched in sweat and the evaporative cooling was great. When we got to the lake, we wanted to jump in, but the water was low and access through the reeds was not good. But there was a small tank there where we drank some water and drenched our shirts. I don’t think any of us had enough water on Bear Mountain and I was starting to feel a bit nauseous and low energy. We kept up a good pace on the Heritage Trail single track and continued to move quickly along the creek towards Pacheco Camp, looking forward to more water to drink and wet our shirts. At one point, I was in front of the group moving fast on a banking right turn on singletrack with a lot of tall dry grass and I nailed a huge pinecone that was partially hidden. So down I went again. More dirt and scrapes and bruises, but I didn’t care. Water was just a mile or two away! We got to Pacheco Camp and started to fill up the water bottles at the spigot. I mentioned to Alex that someone had left some shampoo in the shower there… so he got buck naked and jumped in the shower- using the shampoo so he would smell nice for the rest of the ride. We said goodbye to Bruce who would ride back to Hunting Hollow and borrow Alex’s Miata to get home.

I tried to eat and drink at Pacheco Camp, but it was difficult. I was definitely affected by the intense heat and some dehydration. I hate carrying a backpack, so I opted for 2 x 24 oz bottles on the bike and 1 x 24 oz bottle in my wife’s ultra-light running fanny pack. So 72 oz was just not enough for the hottest part of the day, but that was the trade-off for the comfort of not wearing a Camelpack. Alex and I made our way up to the Phoneline Trail in the late afternoon heat. There was some breeze on the ridges which was very refreshing. On a previous ride, Alex and I passed the Phoneline Trail turnoff because there was no signpost. We turned around after a bit, went back the way we came, and found a small pile of rocks where you are supposed to exit the fire road. We made the pile of rocks bigger so we would not miss is it in the future. So this time we saw the rock pile and shot right down Phoneline. Alex’s brakes were so loud at this point, he must have scared off all of the wildlife in a ½ mile radius. It turns out his front pads were 100% gone and he was squeezing metal to rotor on both sides. My front brakes pads were at about 5% left at the start of the day and I figured I would replace them after the 100. On this same trail, my front brakes started to make some bad noise also- Alex described it sounding like a sausage cutting machine. By the end of the downhill, mine were gone too. We both would have to favor the rear brakes on all the upcoming down hills, but we figured with the heat and all the uphill in front of us, the ability to slow down would be the least of our problems.

We finished Phoneline and rode up the fire road to Turkey Pond Trail for more fun (but loud!) downhill. I was surprised at how much stopping power the front brakes still had. Next up was the approach to Dutches. A mellow fire road with some shade and breeze. Dutches was a fast fun downhill with a few uphill bumps. Some bumps we powered through and some we walked. Again it was a screaming concert of metal on metal with two bikes in no-front-pad-mode. There were a couple of places where I got bushwhacked on the downhill- I just couldn’t slow the bike down enough and I wasn’t going to skid my rear tire (skidding is against my religion J). A good thing the bushes had no thorns… We get down to the bottom of Dutches in no time at all and start our hike-a-bike in the sweltering heat. The was no breeze, but quite a bit of shade- the sun was getting really low. Eventually we get to the downhill that leads to the creek that leads to Kaiser-Aetna road. A little bit of heads-up technical riding and get to KA. We ride some and hike some, but it seems like more hiking. I feel like I’m going to barf the entire time on KA. Alex seems to be doing better, though his knees are starting to give him trouble when he puts too much torque on the pedals. Between my malaise and his knees we sync pretty good in terms of how steep the trail gets before we walk the bike. After an eternity (almost as long as it takes to read this report!) we get to Dowdy Ranch. It is dark now and still pretty hot out, maybe 85°, but feels OK because the sun is not on us! We fill up the bottles and eat some food. I was only able to eat one rice ball. Just not feeling that great. After setting up the lights we made our way to Burra Burra and pedaled most of the uphill. We both had a bit more juice, I think in part to getting more water and the not-so-hot temps. After riding mostly downhill on Center Flats Road, Alex commented on how nice the riding was. I informed him that the niceness was going to end soon and that we would have many steep bumps to hike ahead. We turned off the bike lights when we hiked the bikes, using the ample moonlight and saving the batteries. The spook birds did their thing and one almost nailed Alex. These are the funny birds that sit on the Coe fire roads in the dark then wait until the last second before flying away. So we got into a rhythm of hiking up and biking down until we got to Wasno Road. Then we realized that we may have missed the left turn version somewhere. Neither of us saw a turnoff and the lady in Alex’s phone did not bark at us. Oh well! We keep moving and roll downhill most of the way to the junction with Coit. Every so often we pass an area with really cool settled air and it feels refreshing.

At this point we can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel. Temps are lower. I’m feeling better. Less than 20 miles to go. We begin to ride harder on the ups. We make really good time to the Kelly Lake DH, though in our haste we pass a couple of turn-offs. We are very familiar with this part of the park, so we quickly get back on track and fly down to Kelly Lake. Coit Road out of Kelly- I stand up and pedal almost the entire uphill portion. Alex also picks up the pace, we are eager to get back to the start. The temps cool down some more, our spirits are high. I’m no longer feeling sick and we are on familiar ground- trails and roads we have been on many times. Dexter. Fast loud downhill. Old friend Grizzly in the “wrong” direction. Up to Wilson. Sharp left to our side trip of Vasquez. More suffering and some hiking to get to the top, then down the overgrown road to the creek and up to Wagon. Very cool and refreshing at the bottom of Wagon at Coon Hunter’s Gulch, but just for a bit. Back up the fire road, back into the warmer air. Some hiking on the steeps, then power and push to the Phegly Junction. For us, that junction was the end of the suffering. No more real uphill. Excited, we attack the Wagon Road downhill, mashing the pedals, momentum to carry us over the first big rise. We go as fast as our bikes will let us. Metal-on-metal industrial screaming though the tunnel of light and shadows below the oak canopy. In no time at all we are on the HH Road and it feels like winter. We are actually cold for the first time in 17 hours. We ride even harder on this section. The home stretch. Ride hard to keep warm. We pass Redfern. Phegly. Lyman. Donnely. Look out for that huge pile of horse crap in the middle of the road. Last Creek. HH parking lot. Just past midnight. We made it. We survived.

Link to his ride on Strava: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Hot Coe'er 100 w Alex near Gilroy | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    if you were a more attentive Coe Bike Patroller; you would have known how to get into the Dowdy VC where you could have slept on a bed. (Snicker snicker...)
    Sticks knife in belly and starts to twist slowly, Paul can you send me the GPS coordinates to the hidden key

Medium?
    Your post is about as close as I want to get to that ride, at those temps. Very well done sir.

middle ring single track
    Sticks knife in belly and starts to twist slowly, Paul can you send me the GPS coordinates to the hidden key
    Become a UV and join the Patrol.

I'm a "she".
    Here is verbatim a ride report from Bob S.
    He (Alex) didn’t want me to go off by myself to get dried up by the sun, attacked by tarantulas, lost, etc. Instead, we would now both get dried up by the sun, attacked by tarantulas, lost, etc. Marc would ride the first leg with Alex and I and then Bruce would meet us at HQ and join us for the 3rd leg.
    Link to his ride on Strava: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Hot Coe'er 100 w Alex near Gilroy | Times and Records | Strava
    Thanks Marc for sharing Bob's report with us. I really enjoyed reading it. You guys' comradery is very touching. Bravo to everyone!

More pie please
    Here is verbatim a ride report from Bob S…
    Long live long rides

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wow, nice writeup!!! I’m hoping the heat isn’t as intense for the 2015 installment of the HardCoe(re)100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks!

Here is verbatim a ride report from Bob S. You can find him on Strava (Bob Steed | Cyclist on Strava).
    Thanks a bunch, "adagioca" for posting that ride report! It was a great read!

Also, pliebenberg, you may have already figured this out, but in your screen shot, on the right hand side, you can read Roy's ride report. I got confused by the sign in thing too (especially because I was using my phone at first) - but then was able to read w/o signing in. What I did to see it is hit Cmd+A (or Control+A if on a PC) and the hit Cmd+C (or Control+C if on a PC). That should highlight all the text and copy it to a clip board... then pasted it into my favorite reader...

Finally, about Roy sleeping in a bed: The hardcoere100 trip through Coe is about self reliance, etc. Roy took full responsibility for himself, and didn't depend on anyone to help make him more comfortable. I say that he embraced the spirit of the ride fully. It's a hard route... Plus it makes a good story and image, thinking of Roy with his head on the toilet. So, with warm temperatures, it was a safe and smart decision. No criticism can befall such action.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For solidarity, I'll mention that I've also had to spend a night in a Henry Coe restroom. I was backpacking and it seemed like a mountain lion was stalking me.

I'm a "she".

Wilderness survival tip

For solidarity, I'll mention that I've also had to spend a night in a Henry Coe restroom. I was backpacking and it seemed like a mountain lion was stalking me.
    Mr. Mud taught us to bark when stalked and the stalker will go away. We've been practicing... like this (turn up the audio):

We think it's a good skill to have, but we still can't help but feel embarrassed when caught. Please don't ridicule us.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    funny video. Barking always works. Meowing, not so much.

mtbr member
    I am totally impressed and intimidated by the ride, and your rides. Nice!

I think this route and ride will outlive us.

Bravo Zulu.

Hi Dirk!