mtbr member
    May 2010

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic

...oops... wrong browser... -mudworm
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

I'm a "she".
    On April 7, eleven riders gathered at Hunting Hollow Parking lot on a quest for Henry Coe wildflower display and mysterious Pacheco Falls that people around the world had been whispering about. Following is a mudworm's account of the sweat soaked, tear shattering epic.

===

ElHombre was the proclaimed ride leader, but , Skyline35 seemed to always find a way to force ideas onto him by prefixing his sentences with "it's YOUR ride…" Those were excellent ideas as Skyline35 took us on many quality trails that we would not have known existed.

I tried to stay with the three Henry Coe Musketeers, namely plymmer, ElHombre, and ratpick, whenever I could hoping to absorb some of their awesomeness, esp. in climbing, simply by proximity. I think it really worked because I was feeling fairly strong all day. Was very happy to clean the Serpentine climb at the end of the ride.

Lots of goofiness on this ride, which made this long (near 9 hours elapse time with 5 hours of riding time) ride seem to go really fast. I enjoyed every moment of it, and I think one man contributed the most. Guess who?

Oh, Skyline35, this bears repeats: pie or no pie, you *are* my favorite. Now, thanks so much for that Marie C. Pie. OMG, that's the best apple pie I'd had in my life!

Without further ado, let's look at some action shots. (There are a lot more in my photo album.)

ID the riders topping out on Jim Donnelly Trail.

Skyline35 dictated, "A riders go straight up (taking Steer Ridge Road); B riders go left (taking Spike Jones)." But I'm an A-wanna-B rider, so it confused me for a second there. But SJ is much more fun to ride, so I went left.

So pretty!

d-bug always puts on a happy face when he rides.

A cross above Hoover Air Strip.

Pacheco Falls are that way!

Come on, what are you waiting for? Pacheco Falls are down here! Um… where?

Rock in the pocket

Rock in the pocket

More, Rock in the pocket

A ride with TahoeBC is guaranteed to have a lot of laughs.

Except when he tries to steal your bike… my bike to be exact.

The three Henry Coe Musketeers at the top of Serpentine Trail, waiting for TahoeBC to emerge. It was five for five. Others should all have gone this way because it was guaranteed success.

A short video (with sound). Sorry about the fast transitions.

What's a ride without a track?

P.S. After a night of sleep, some more details started coming back to me. So, what did I miss in the first version?

Secret Squirrel staged a mechanical — ripped a side wall early on the ride. He managed to fail to mend it while the group were waiting, so that he could tell the group to move on without him. Guess what he did after that? He not only patched the torn tire, he went on his secret ride dodging the group. Mind you, Coe is a little place, but he somehow managed to stay away from us all day while having a blast of his own!

I missed taking a photo of tburger's new bike. Someone must have it, or maybe he could share it himself. What's really impressive was it is a rigid! I can really feel the bumps when I forgot to undo the lockout on my fork, so I can't imagine riding all day on a rigid bike. That should earn him a hard man badge.

Also forgot to mention d-bug and the Law's his and her Ibis Mojo's. Those are two fast bikes, so sweet together! It was great riding with the Law; I was not the only one bugging Skyline35 with girly questions. Can you picture Skyline35 utter "ugh" and roll his eyes when he was asked the second time 5 seconds apart, "what is that little pond's name?"

Tom, I think you should never fix your spoke. It's nice to be able to always hear you on the trail!

Mr. Mud managed to come home around 2am and speed read the post and the photos through his half closed eyes before collapsing in bed. His eyes only opened up wide for a brief second when he saw certain picture in my album. He's off to work again. I hope his move is wrapping up soon and he can join our fun someday soon!

Last, but not the least, TahoeBC is such a goof ball! I look forward to riding with you again!

Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Lovely!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post

I missed taking a photo of tburger's new bike. Someone must have it, or maybe he could share it himself. What's really impressive was it is a rigid! I can really feel the bumps when I forgot to undo the lockout on my fork, so I can't imagine riding all day on a rigid bike. That should earn him a hard man badge.

Action shot:

Much more later, when I'm done procrastinating

loopy counter
    Elsewhere in the park:

mtbr member
    Ooh you went and made a thread!

I had at least 2 other training ride options, one an incredible 140 mile CX ride with Zen Turtle that I still regret missing! But the lack of pain I missed from that ride was more than made up by a fantastic day in my favorite place on Earth, with great friends (several of whom are my bestest friends)!

I was talked into the ride with all sorts of enticements: from pie, to skinny dips in Coe lakes, to "something big" to wildflower shows, to visits to Pacheco Falls to visiting some obscure trails that would help my complete my Coe trails-done map.

I was thrilled when the formerly-long-lost mudworm announced she was also joining the ride!

From Henry Coe (Pacheco Falls, Ridge) - Apr 2012

This may be the first ride I've been on in Coe, especially a group ride, where the route was a work in progress. There is usually some big destination which pretty much dictates the rest of the day. It worked really well! And more often than not, we came up with a couple of ways to get to the next "waypoint" and the "spring-trained" and "spring-training" groups would split and make their way there. It's one of the great things about Coe, especially in the south - there is quite often a hard and "easy" way to get to any spot.

OK, there's no easy way

We decided on a gentle warmup up the much-loved Jim Donnelly Trail to start. The chill of Hunting Hollow predictably gave way to very comfortable conditions as we climbed into the sun. Coe is looking beautiful right now, with the recent rains turning the grass an aesthetically-pleasing green.

The JDT trail is so very awesome - such a fantastic addition to the park, increasing its accessibility. We all made our way to the top, mostly in two groups although I got a bit antsy towards the top.

After regrouping at the top, we split into two groups, one taking the Steer Ridge Wall and the other the Spike Jones connector, making our way to Willson Peak.

It's easy to be disappointed by the wildflower show this year, given how spectacular it has been in past years. But there is plenty of color there to appreciate:

You wouldn't believe the amount of ribbing I had to endure to take this shot:

Poppies on Serpentine are one of my favorite things and a Willson Peak specialty each year

Everyone in this group was a strong rider, even if some faster than others at this time of year. So the regroups were always long and fun!

The Willson Peak descent was a lot of fun! This group locked up 7 of the top 10 on the Strava segment on this ride (including tburger on his gorgeous rigid bike).

There were a few patches of color reminiscent of a typical Coe spring

It's always fun when the Hard COEre 100 trio, still the only finishers of that ride, have a reunion

I was dared into making a KOM attempt on the Snake Trail climb (usually only a downhill). Urgh, why do I accept these things, I thought? I went all out until the legs could take no more and grannied to the top feeling that the effort was a bust - nice to upload and have stolen that KOM from Plymmer!

One of the fun things in Coe group rides for me is experiencing new trails. Skyline35 has adopted several trails in an area that he calls "My Coe" and we rode several of these that were new to me, including the Coit Lake Trail.

When we reached the dam, we became worried after a few minutes that the rest of the group was not in sight. Eventually, all but SecretSquirrel appeared and relayed his ride-ending mechanical, having torn the sidewall of his tire irreparably. He had a hike-a-bike ahead of him back to Hunting Hollow (as mudworm noted above, he did get it fixed and came back to try and find us).

We took a fun detour to checkout a big rock outcrop visible from the opposite ridge

Then up Willow Ridge Rd to the airstrip, where we were surprised by a pretty good Goldfields display!

TahoeBC & ElHombre led the way down Rose Dam Trail on a fast and loose descent that was tons of fun. Conditions were really excellent. I took some videos of the final part of the descent: mudworm, second group, and most interesting, tburger and his rigid bike!

Thanks to the influence of TahoeBC, practical jokes were the order of the day and several of us found rocks in our Camelbacks at the top of climbs!

It took some planning, but we eventually got our revenge!

Finding the way down to Pacheco Falls was a challenge ...

but once we located the correct spot, we hiked down and hung around, enjoying being at a place that you can normally just see from afar!

There was plenty of wildlife down here too!

We got to ride yet another of Skyline35's adopted trails, the Ridge Trail. It had been allowed to return to nature through disuse but has been cleaned up to be an excellent alternative to a boring fireroad descent down Coit Rd.

On the way there, ElHombre quietly wondered aloud if that part of Pacheco Ridge Trail was a Strava segment - he reasoned that if it was, it's likely that the KOM is up for grabs. As the group started up, I saw him start to accelerate and went all out to match him. I caught his wheel but that was all I could manage! Fortunately, neither of us was sure where the Ridge Trail started so we never completed our sprint for Strava glory! It was a fun and very painful sprint though! Lesson - never ride with a Belgium who has just seen his countryman win a big sprint race in his home country

We had a couple of relaxing breaks at Pacheco Camp, most of which revolved around distracting someone so a practical joke could be completed! I was disappointed to see that they have taken the sink out as it makes filtering more difficult and increases water wastage during the process. I guess there must have been a good reason.

Climbing out we came across a baby rattlesnake. Consensus was that these immature rattlers were more dangerous than their elders since they cannot control their venom. Even our resident snake charmer, TahoeBC, kept his distance.

We naturally split on the climb up to Live Oak Spring Trail but those of us that went ahead were worried that the other group had taken the high trail past the spring to avoid the unpleasant mess left behind by bulldozering of the lower trail. But they weren't at the top when we got there so we fortified ourselves and prepared our ambush for their arrival.

A few minutes passed and they appeared so we let fury reign down and lobbed pinecone bombs

On the way out, another split as a group wanted the fast pace of Tule Pond Trail's downhill while another wanted to checkout the less-traveled Dear Logic Trail. I opted for Tule Pond as I wanted to get my descending ready to go for the Middle Steer Ridge descent to come - I expected that to be off-the-hook fast with a few very good descenders in the group.

At the bottom of Tule Pond, I thought we were going to see a trail collision [vid], fortunately avoided It was interesting that it took the same time to take both routes.

Here again, the group split; those of us with any juice left to climb Serpentine Trail took off that way while the rest took the very fun route down Grizzly Gulch Trail.

mudworm, ElHombre, Plymmer, TahoeBC and myself attacked Serpentine. I feel in behind Plymmer, always appreciating his steady pace as a way to make a daunting climb pass with as little pain as possible. Unfortunately ElHombre led off and I soon became worried that my "human KOM" (ie excluding Diesel's KOM) would be under pressure as he pulled away from us.

But my legs were hurting and I couldn't do much about it so I just focused on surviving the climb! Sure enough, ElHombre exactly matched my 2nd place, sub-Diesel, time and we now share it; feels kinda right

Not far behind, mudworm and TahoeBC rolled in, all 5 of us having cleaned the beast!

mudworm let her "secret" competitive nature out by passing us all to ride to the very end of the Serpentine trail to make sure she completed the segment ElHombre had done the same (I know exactly where this segment ends so felt under no such pressure

TahoeBC got the final laugh out of us as he picked up mudworm's bike and wheeled it along as she walked up to pick it up!

We paused at the top of Middle Steer Ridge while TahoeBC got his video camera setup. He had promised a HD video of the ride and I was going to collect!

He first turned the camera backwards and launched down the trail while I did my very best to stay close. Not easy - TahoeBC is a talented descender!

After a while, he stopped [vid] and switched the camera to the front and I led. So much fun. I haven't descended MSR that fast in a long, long time! I really hope the video works out!

Back at Hunting Hollow, Skyline35's promised pie was delivered and we hung out until it started to get chilly again. The pie was so good that none was wasted!

Awesome ride.. had such a great day. This is why we bike!

Last edited by ratpick; 04-09-2012 at 09:58 AM.

aka dan51
    That was a super fun ride!
    I thought I would be over my head and was planning on bailing, but the social pace led to a perfect ride. Most of it was on trails I had never seen, which is always a nice experience.

Thanks to everyone for making this ride awesome!

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Action shot:

Much more later, when I'm done procrastinating
    Does this guy know that you don't have to scoot back when rolling on 29s?
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

fading away
    Would have loved to have participated in this ride, but only found out about it a couple days before the ride. Next time you all are planning on doing this, how’s abouts a week or so warning?
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Good friends and good fun!

Turn it up!

I'm a "she".
    TahoeBC, you goofball. You are fully capable of cranking out a highly entertaining video production, but you can't embed it? I'll do it (below) and collect all the credit.

Roy is so cute in that video! Oops, did I just say that out loud?

from Tahoe Backcountry on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Would have loved to have participated in this ride, but only found out about it a couple days before the ride. Next time you all are planning on doing this, how’s abouts a week or so warning?
    That's quite funny given the conversation we had over Skyline35's pie after the ride :-)

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Does this guy know that you don't have to scoot back when rolling on 29s?
    Haha! Maybe that was a bit of dramatic flair for the camera. I was thinking about you during the hike to Pacheco Falls. If we all took our bikes down, it would have been like one of your now famous ABHB rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I found out Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Good friends and good fun!

Turn it up!
    Nice vid! Good times, and thanks for the DFH 90! I hope to get the chance to return the favor with a nice post-ride IPA for you.

~~~
    This ride came at a perfect time. I've been wanting to get back to Coe. I'm still recovering from my shoulder surgery, and I've only been back on the bike doing real trail rides for about 3 weeks now. The lack of conditioning and the extra beer weight I've put on has been really evident, but I've been trying to push through the pain in my legs and the saddle sore and just keep pedaling. I was worried I wasn't ready for this type of ride yet, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Having just completed 42 miles of the GG2MB ride, I was pretty sure I could handle about 20-25 miles of Coe. Okay, so it turned out being 32 miles, but who's counting?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9673.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9676.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9682.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9686.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9695.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9700.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9712.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9721.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9741.jpg  

2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-img_9769.jpg  

mtbr member
    TahoeBC, you goofball. You are fully capable of cranking out a highly entertaining video production, but you can't embed it? I'll do it (below) and collect all the credit.
    Actually did not embed on purpose, cause I use the free version of vimeo, it does not allow to embed the HD version, if you go to the link you can watch it in HD. Watch for the extended Director's cut later this year

BTW Roy I think you need to work on your hand writing skills, unless that's some type of Pagan writing to go with the Easter weekend theme
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Henry Coe Spring Classic-roywrites.jpg  

Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.

More pie please

Best Ride Ever!

Well the feature for me was ElHombre's promise to visit Pacheco Falls from the
    "other side". If you're not familiar with Pacheco Falls in Coe, check out knob's video:

Pacheco Falls, Henry Coe State Park - YouTube

We would go to the top pool shown at 00:17.

ElHombre, "Here we are!":

Hmmmmm, looks far away.

So we hike…

…and descend…

…but we get there:

That was awesome!!!

I missed taking a photo of tburger's new bike. Someone must have it, or maybe he could
    share it himself. What's really impressive was it is a rigid! I can really feel the bumps
    when I forgot to undo the lockout on my fork, so I can't imagine riding all day on a rigid
    bike. That should earn him a hard man badge.
    At Steer Ridge Road, with few exceptions, most flock to check-out tburger's new bike but mudworn stares at the new sign in disbelief:

…"Did they really write 'Insure' instead of 'Ensure'???"

More tburger pics:

And a few random pictures of the group JRAing (mostly fireroad pictures 'cause that's when it is easiest to take photos):

Those who know Coe will see that kitchen sink is missing at Pacheco Camp:

…maybe TahoeBC put *that* in someone's Camelbak???

And finally back at Hunting Hollow, food & drink & more laughs:

Thank you Seńor Hombre for instigating a great ride!

///Charlie

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Are we assured that the DPR intends to ensure that natural resources are protected and that your safety is insured at the same time?

Last edited by Jack Burns; 04-09-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: oopsie

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Hella jelly.

Best I could manage over the weekend was a quick trip to and through JMP on my CX bike.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    ElHombre, "Here we are!":
    The hottest maître d' !

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    And finally back at Hunting Hollow, food & drink & more laughs:
    Not sure what about me scared Roy, but did you notice that his eyes were wide open? I mean, as open as painted on! For the record, I smell like roses after every ride. Not sure what Roy's problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Actually did not embed on purpose, ...if you go to the link you can watch it in HD. ...

BTW Roy I think you need to work on your hand writing skills,...
    HD, like my eyes can tell... Or should they? And I thought those were foot writing skills Roy was lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by tburger
    ...I was pretty sure I could handle about 20-25 miles of Coe. Okay, so it turned out being 32 miles,...
    It would have been 20-25 miles if Skyline35 had not kept saying, "let me put it this way -- you drove all the way here from La Honda/San Jose/(anywhere) ..."

mtbr member
    Not sure what about me scared Roy, but did you notice that his eyes were wide open? I mean, as open as painted on! For the record, I smell like roses after every ride. Not sure what Roy's problem was.
    It's not you, he has Cibophobia
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-10-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Your killing my Strava
    Great Pictures Guys
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member

mtb'er
    Now that's a well documented ride! Nice job fellers

mtbr member

my account

Three, four days before the ride it looked like only two or three Coe veterans would partake, hence only vague plans were made for what would turn out to become a veritable spring Classic. I must possess previously unknown powers of persuasion, as a really great group of none less than eleven riders lined up at the start. I was a poor excuse for ride tyrant, but thanks to some great and creative route suggestions by Skyline35, my insistence on checking out the Pacheco falls from the 'hard' side and the admirable patience displayed by this fine group when yet another ridiculous idea - or ludicrously steep hill - was thrown at them, it turned out to be a very memorable day. The only negatives were SecretSquirrel's forced early retreat due to a torn sidewall, and what became perhaps the first scratch on tburger's purrty Potts (but it's Ti, and self-healing).

JDT was (mostly) climbed in full compliance with DPR riding standards.

Ratpick is here seen in holistic buddha pose, attempting to encourage the wildflowers to put on a better show soon.

The Law is understandably very dismayed, as she witnesses mudworm nab her Willson Peak descent QOM acquired moments before.

TahoeBC skirting the edge of That Rock...

...and desperately trying to not get sucked into the abyss.

The Hoover air strip treated us to some pretty flowers.

And the White Tank + Rose Dam trail combo provided plenty of singletrack thrills and grins.

TahoeBC started a running gag by putting rocks in people's backpacks. Ratpick, visibly upset at this juvenile behaviour, tries here to get even by pushing the offender off a cliff.

Everyone made it safely to the - ahem - mighty Pacheco Falls. I tried to put on a show by pretending to slip on the green scum and tumbling in one of the pools, but nobody seemed to have captured it on camera...

TahoeBC never ceases to make new friends on the trails.

Plymmer doing his make-up.

Steve Potts in the green grass of Coe.

Turned out Pai Mei from Kill Bill fame was on the ride as well...

It was time to round up some volunteers to climb up Serpentine. Notice how everyone seems to casually look away... all except mudworm.

With good reason, as she ended up destroying that hill!

She was so happy she started dancing around on Steer Ridge road.

Later on, we ran into a friendly sleepwalker on the parking lot, who offered us some tasty pie!

Awesome day, and lots of fun was had.

More pics here: Coe - 2012 Spring Classic

I'm a "she".

With good reason, as she ended up destroying that hill!

*sigh* now I feel the same pressure Skyline35 felt 2+ years ago -- I need new gloves!

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Now that's a well documented ride! Nice job fellers
    No kidding. Not only these guys can talk on the trails, but they can write too! I'm surprised that we have not seen anything from plymmer yet. Wonder if he is on Volume III now.

I'm a "she".
    Everyone made it safely to the - ahem - mighty Pacheco Falls. I tried to put on a show by pretending to slip on the green scum and tumbling in one of the pools, but nobody seemed to have captured it on camera...

You mean like this? Where are the other kids? From where I come from, we call this a puddle. But enjoyed the show nonetheless.

mtbr member

Once upon a time in Coe

HD:

King Of Tooth Tarter

Back

HD:
    Nice video. It was a lot of fun. Sorry about the poor penmanship at the airstrip. It played well in the videos. What was I surprised about while the pie was being consumed? I might have been looking beyond at something else. Don't recall smells emanating from anyone.

Such a fun time. I love big rides.

Roy.

~~~

HD:
    Haha.

That was great!

Your killing my Strava
    So does anyone know the most direct route to the falls??

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    So does anyone know the most direct route to the falls??
    From Where? Which end of the falls?

Here's the shortest route that comes to mind:
    From Coyote Creek: Up Grizzly, Up Dexter, Wasno, Down Kelly Lake, Coit Road, Wagon, Live Oak, Pacheco Falls Trail. That's pretty brutal. You might think I'm giving you bad directions, but you asked for direct.

If you want to cut out some steepness, stay on Grizzly until it intersects with Wagon, then Live Oak and Pacheco Falls. This route is the least amount of vertical gain to get to the falls, even though the first mile on Grizzly is a grunt.

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    From Where? Which end of the falls?

Here's the shortest route that comes to mind:
    From Coyote Creek: Up Grizzly, Up Dexter, Wasno, Down Kelly Lake, Coit Road, Wagon, Live Oak, Pacheco Falls Trail. That's pretty brutal. You might think I'm giving you bad directions, but you asked for direct.

If you want to cut out some steepness, stay on Grizzly until it intersects with Wagon, then Live Oak and Pacheco Falls. This route is the least amount of vertical gain to get to the falls, even though the first mile on Grizzly is a grunt.
    Yea I know those trails LOL So yes starting from Coyote, to the bottom of the falls. Thanks I want to try and get out there next month

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The "easiest" possible way there is probably just take Coit all the way to Wagon - if you define easy as "completely rideable by most people." But at least add on the Kelly Lake trail descent (involves maybe 100-150' more uphill).

mtbr member
    Well if I wanted to just zoom out there I'd probably take either of these routes out of Hunting Hollow.

This route starts out pretty tough but the you can always walk the steep sections.
    Lyman Wilson->Bowl Trail->Wagon Road->Live Oak spring ->Pachaco Falls

This Routes starts out much easier + plus you get the super fun Wilson peak trail down hill (See first 3 downhill segments in my movie earlier in this thread)
    Jim Donnelly->Steer Ridge->Wilson Peak->Grizzly Gultch->Wagon Road->Live Oak spring ->Pachaco Falls

BTW I don't think it's worth going all the way to the bottom for the last pool. Partway down, watch for a trail on your left, that leads to an overlook down to the pools. It''s a steep climb back up the fire road, another reason not to go to the bottom.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-16-2012 at 09:05 AM.

NedwannaB
    Great post ratpick(and others as well)! Thanks for showing a lot of the wonders of Coe!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    BTW I don't think it's worth going all the way to the bottom for the last pool. Partway down, watch for a trail on your left, that leads to an overlook down to the pools. It''s a steep climb back up the fire road, another reason not to go to the bottom.
    Definitely agree - but it's easy to miss the trail, so don't be surprised at all if you arrive at the very bottom never having seen any trail (there used to be a small rock cairn too).

(Live Oak spring, not Black Oak spring - THAT would be a big ride!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    (Live Oak spring, not Black Oak spring - THAT would be a big ride!)
    Whatca talking about

Your killing my Strava
    Well if I wanted to just zoom out there I'd probably take either of these routes out of Hunting Hollow.

This Routes starts out much easier + plus you get the super fun Wilson peak trail down hill (See first 3 downhill segments in my movie earlier in this thread)
    Jim Donnelly->Steer Ridge->Wilson Peak->Grizzly Gultch->Wagon Road->Live Oak spring ->Pachaco Falls

This route looks like a winner

mtbr member
    One hint for that route, Wilson Peak trail is easy to miss. While riding Steer Ridge, shortly after passing Middle Steer trail on your right, you start a short climb up a fireroad, take the left hand branch when you get to a Y in the road, single track starts shortly on your left.

Your killing my Strava
    One hint for that route, Wilson Peak trail is easy to miss. While riding Steer Ridge, shortly after passing Middle Steer trail on your right, you start a short climb up a fireroad, take the left hand branch when you get to a Y in the road, single track starts shortly on your left.
    Yes I am familiar with this intersection. I have always gone down Serpintine and seen where Wilson peak drops out on Grizzley. I have always wanted to take Wilson but never have. Now would be a good time

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Well the feature for me was ElHombre's promise to visit Pacheco Falls from the
    "other side". If you're not familiar with Pacheco Falls in Coe, check out knob's video:

Pacheco Falls, Henry Coe State Park - YouTube

We would go to the top pool shown at 00:17.

…but we get there:

g]
    I made it out to the falls today but I didnt get to this view...How do you get here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They hiked down cross-country from Pacheco Ridge Road - the other side of the canyon.

Congrats on making it out to the falls! Did you find the little trail to get the view from the cliff top?

Your killing my Strava
    Well we went to the bottom first on accident after being told not too. LOL. But yes as we rode (walked) back up I found the trail on the right. This was our view. Amazing Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337535472.236025.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  42.9 KB
    How far of a hike is it to the water?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Well we went to the bottom first on accident after being told not too. LOL. But yes as we rode (walked) back up I found the trail on the right. This was our view. Amazing Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337535472.236025.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  42.9 KB
    From that spot you can't really hike down... you could rappel down but not sure I would recommend that. We hiked down from the other side (east), off of Pacheco Ridge road.

mtbr member
    I'd estimate about a 1/2 mile one way of pretty steep, cross country hiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Are we assured that the DPR intends to ensure that natural resources are protected and that your safety is insured at the same time?

"insured" - I see what you did there

Members who have read this thread: 1