Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2012 Hard COEre 100

There are only a few weeks left now before the 2012 edition of the Hard COEre 100 (aka Coe 100): ride one big 100 mile loop in Henry Coe, with 20,000 ft of climbing (as per Garmin Edge readout); 'undie hundie' format, meaning it is entirely unsupported and not an organized race, though it features a group start (last year about a dozen showed up - three completed the 100 miles) and most tend to tackle it in small groups or using the 'buddy system'. Time and date: October 6, 2012, 7am (rolling), off the Hunting Hollow parking lot at the south entrance of the park. Route and many more details here. It is now listed under the Southwest Endurance Series (check out the site for the general philosophy behind these rides and similar events).

It is not for everyone, but if you've done supported 100 milers or 24 hour events in the past, have done bikepacking races or are considering doing them, it could be. Knowing how to use a map + GPS (or knowledge of the park) and proper night ride gear / lights are highly recommended.

Last year some of us aimed higher but TahoeBC assured us nobody can climb 29k vertical feet in Coe. Not sure if anyone will prove him wrong this time around, but the Everest challenge is still out there, for those who would feel called upon.

A novelty this time is a metric route (100 km, or ~63 miles, with ~14,000 ft of climbing), which largely coincides with the 100 mile route. This is still a brutal test for any rider, and could probably be ridden by strong riders without or with minimal lights.
    Note that on the same day the Tarantulafest BBQ takes place at Coe Headquarters (at ~mile 36 on the 100 mile route), which is an excellent opportunity to refuel (food is for sale between noon and 2pm - first come first serve).

Endless bragging rights will be your share if you complete this route; some links and reading material below to get 'in the mood'... please reply to this thread or send email using the address listed on the Coe 100 site if you're thinking of joining in the fun (metric, 100 miler or Everest). Besides the usual suspects, we expect to see some special guest appearances, and I also believe none other than Mr. Porkstacker will be lining up. Looking forward to it!

XXC Magazine article
    2011 mtbr thread
    2010 mtbr thread

2011 thread on bikepacking.net

Last edited by ElHombre; 10-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    If I were to try and tackle this ( I stress the "if" part), I would borrow a full squishy bike and have some serious tires on it. It looks intriguing, painful and hard. Mostly hard. I will consider.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    I've been waiting all year for this! I have a feeling my nominal course record will fall this year!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    If I were to try and tackle this ( I stress the "if" part), I would borrow a full squishy bike and have some serious tires on it. It looks intriguing, painful and hard. Mostly hard. I will consider.
    A 29er hardtail works fine (it's what I tend to use there), but yes, you will most likely end up dreaming of full squish once past the halfway point. It would be great to see you out there (and remember, there are many bailout options along the way)...

roadie
    the "hard COEre 10" sounds pretty tempting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anyone else doing the 100k? Would I start the ride with the 100mile group at 7am, but take a short-cut back to HH at some point - late in the afternoon? It's a tempting option, but I like to include Mississipi Ridge to reclaim my KOM now that I know the way.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't think the cartoon imagery is very fitting for this beast of an event. For me, the event evokes feelings more like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Hard COEre 100-edvard-munchs-scream.jpg  

Your killing my Strava
    Sounds like fun
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

diskus
    Woohooooo!!!!!'!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Questions

I have some questions....

The GPX file is a text document, not Basecamp or Topofusion friendly, or at least not for me.

Is there another form of the GPX file by any chance?

Is the Everest deal just another loop? Is there a different GPX for that?

I've never ridden there so I would really need to follow the squiggly line on my GPS to be able to do this, especially at night

I've done 40,000 feet of vert in a 24 hour race but I would guess the terrain here is much more difficult. Do we only have 24 hours?

Thanks for doing this, looks very fun and it's obvious you put some time into it!

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    I've never ridden there
    Sean, were you not the same Sean on last year's ride?

I was able to open the GPX course file in Topofusion. When you first click on the link, your browser may try to display it for you because a .gpx is a plain text file. You need to right click on the link and choose "Save link as" and give the file a name with .gpx extension.

Crush it!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Puro Vida!
    Any TSP want to try to 100km??? We have time to train! I'd like to try but wouldn't mind someone to cry I mean ride with-

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    interested in meeting up for the 100k option :-) rock and roll next day with wife...ya thats my excuse haha!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Sean, were you not the same Sean on last year's ride?

I was able to open the GPX course file in Topofusion. When you first click on the link, your browser may try to display it for you because a .gpx is a plain text file. You need to right click on the link and choose "Save link as" and give the file a name with .gpx extension.

Crush it!
    Nope, not me

Thanks, it opened in Chrome no problem, Firefox wanted to only save it as a text document for some reason, no option to change the file extension and no option to save it as anything else.
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    Anyone else doing the 100k? Would I start the ride with the 100mile group at 7am, but take a short-cut back to HH at some point - late in the afternoon? It's a tempting option, but I like to include Mississipi Ridge to reclaim my KOM now that I know the way.
    There is at least one other rider (Travis, who has put on the Coe XC races in the past) who said he'd want to do the 100km, and a few other maybes. If there's interest, I'll make a route cue sheet for it, as for the 100 miler. Of course, there are many other ways to get 100km by cutting parts of the 100m route short.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Any TSP want to try to 100km??? We have time to train! I'd like to try but wouldn't mind someone to cry I mean ride with-
    not me. Have you ever been to Coe? I would seriously try all of skegg's first, which is 10K in approx 43 miles. 14K ft in 62mi is a **** ton, no way to get there in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    It's only like going up Kennedy and back down ... and back up Kennedy and back down ...and back ..... stop @ 7 out and back ... and its done. 2000 ft. gain per trip.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Puro Vida!
    Party poopers

mtbr member
    I have some questions....

The GPX file is a text document, not Basecamp or Topofusion friendly, or at least not for me.

Is there another form of the GPX file by any chance?
    Looks like you already found a fix, but if you right click and 'save as' it should work I'd think... (btw, a GPX file is indeed a plain text file). There is also a Strava segment and you can find a few other formats here on MTBGuru (using the links right underneath the Google map).

EDIT: please don't use the GPX file linked from the MTBGuru trip page, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

Is the Everest deal just another loop? Is there a different GPX for that?
    Last year our plan was to do the 100 mile course, and then do a few subsequent loops near Hunting Hollow (parking lot) so we could (a) stay close to the lot where we can easily refuel etc and (b) reach most of the extra elevation by climbing Jim Donnelly trail a few times - arguably the 'easiest' grade in the vicinity. Note that doing the latter would render the Everest challenge not entirely 'unsupported' (as you could rest, stash stuff in the car and restock on food etc) but at the time I didn't care as it was mainly for fund- and awareness raising. I still think this is ok, though one could argue about making it more 'pure' (which I'm not really interested in).

I could make a GPX of the route we had in mind to reach the 29k (let me know if you want me to), but if you improvize and do it another way that will be accepted as well (just record the track and show the footies).

I've never ridden there so I would really need to follow the squiggly line on my GPS to be able to do this, especially at night

I've done 40,000 feet of vert in a 24 hour race but I would guess the terrain here is much more difficult. Do we only have 24 hours?

Thanks for doing this, looks very fun and it's obvious you put some time into it!
    It would be awesome if you'd show up - you could probably obliterate our feeble times from the past , but I think navigation will indeed be your main challenge. There are many trail intersections and some are highly confusing; in some parts it's hard to id the start of a trail (occasionally you have to follow creekbeds for a while etc). This, and the steepness of the climbs makes the going fairly slow. There is a cue sheet as well on the site that may help. Last year two riders that had hardly ever been in Coe rode the course on GPS and maps (they did get lost a few times and had to retrace their steps) - up until mile 80 or so, after which their batteries were nearly dead and they decided to ride the fireroad home (so bring enough battery power, it is a long night).

There is at least one other superfast rider that will show up for the 100 miler, but I'm not sure whether he'll tackle it as a 'social' ride or race it. If the latter, you may have some real competition (and he knows his way around there).

No real time limits; the 'course record' is currently 21hr 12min 58s (ready for improvement!) - for the Everest challenge I initially thought to limit it to 24 hours; but after thinking about it (just imagine rolling in after 24 hours 10 minutes), as long as you do it in a 'single ride' it is fine. If you do it sub-24 hours you'll get an asterisk denoting superhuman abilities!
    Last edited by ElHombre; 10-02-2012 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anyone thought of doing this on CX bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poff View Post
    Has anyone thought of doing this on CX bike?
    Thought about it, but quickly dismissed it . The gearing, and the at times rough terrain will wear you out over time. May be fun for the first 50 miles perhaps. More power to you if you try though!

Now a weight weenie singlespeed with small gearing would be something to consider IMO...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Party poopers
    Let's do the metric, Robert. I'm serious. I know we can get a few TSP guys to go out. Social Pace, finish or not finish. Doesn't matter.

Orale.

The key to guys like us is to SERIOUSLY pace ourselves.

EDIT: No go. That's my wedding anniversary weekend.
    Last edited by Dion; 09-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Puro Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Let's do the metric, Robert. I'm serious. I know we can get a few TSP guys to go out. Social Pace, finish or not finish. Doesn't matter.

Orale.

The key to guys like us is to SERIOUSLY pace ourselves.

EDIT: No go. That's my wedding anniversary weekend.
    Damn you! I read the first part and got all excited then quickly disapointed-I'm a emotional train wreck right now-
    I agree though-Maria said she'd be sag for us-if we paced-reason why I would try with someone but would have to be slow like me-we have 20 something hours!

mtbr member
    If anyone has a chance at the Everest challenge Sean does, it will be very interesting to see how a first class long distance rider does on this coarse!

Oct 6th is my birthday so that's my excuse this year not to try it, if I happen to be in the Bay area that weekend and depending what my schedule is I might go for the metric.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Damn you! I read the first part and got all excited then quickly disapointed-I'm a emotional train wreck right now-
    I agree though-Maria said she'd be sag for us-if we paced-reason why I would try with someone but would have to be slow like me-we have 20 something hours!
    I'm in for the 100k.

Let me know if you want to buddy up.

Medium?
    I voluneered for T-Fest. That's the only reason I'm not going show up. Yea, that's it.

If anyone wants me to bring up any special goodies and have them in my car at HQ, let me know. Ice cream? Beer? Performance-enhancing supplements?

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    ...it will be very interesting to see how a first class long distance rider does on this coarse!...
    It'll also be interesting to see what kind of insane course record can be set. As ElHombre mentioned, there will be another super fast rider attending Coe 100, so there might just be some serious competition in for Sean. Too bad that Sean has the disadvantage of not knowing Coe trails, but I hope that will not slow him down too much. Or, maybe the two will work together? That'll be rad too!

Anyway, ElHombre and Sean, when you work on the Everest Challenge route, make sure it's an add-on to Coe 100. That way, the superhuman Everest Challenge finisher(s) will also get the Coe 100 finish automatically.

As for me, I'll have everything ready for the event:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    Yea I'm gonna do the 100k...

mtbr member
    If I am able to build my CX bike by that time (I do not have MTB at the moment) I may be in for that too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If anyone has a chance at the Everest challenge Sean does, it will be very interesting to see how a first class long distance rider does on this coarse!

Oct 6th is my birthday so that's my excuse this year not to try it, if I happen to be in the Bay area that weekend and depending what my schedule is I might go for the metric.
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the flattery. Totally inaccurate, but thank you anyways. Seems like a birthday celebration would be a great reason TO do it.

I've been semi training for the Coconino Loop Race which is 250 miles and around 45,000' of climbing so this would be a very different beast. They both are essentially on the same day.

Time, money and fitness have me questioning driving 2000 miles to do the CLR, so this is very interesting, that and the fact I have done the CLR course and have never been to Coe, which seems silly.

I would do the Everest deal at my own pace, I don't care who else shows up or how fast they are, it won't be a race for me, just an adventure of ones abilities in that space and time.

Fully unsupported for me, I won't be visiting the car unless I finish or I'm unable to continue. Near as I can figure I'll need to carry about 8-9,000 calories on my bike for the amount of mileage and climbing required. I've done that before so hopefully I would be able to do it again.

Hmmm, now I've got choices to make, which is a great thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am signed up for the mt diable challenge the next day so I maybe out. However, I may consider my entrance fee a donation to the park and head to the Henry Coe.
    I would be in for the 100K.

fading away
    Can anyone recommend a good water filtration system? Ive had this ride marked on my calendar for a few months.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Seems like a birthday celebration would be a great reason TO do it.
    I've done a few 50ish mile rides in Coe, I have NEVER thought that riding another 50 was a good ideal I'll leave the big vert rides to you select sicko's and I mean that with the most respect

Wēk Ss
    have you ridden coe? pacing won't really help unless the metric with that much climbing is close to your limit. we ride quite a bit, and you guys haven't put up centuries, on the road, in any recent months, nor any amount of climbing that is significant. any thing remotely close to 14k vertical, especially at a brutal place like coe, is not for the cavalier.

if you want to test yourself, there are a number of more sane tests we can do. a 7k ride would be a good start, at skegg's and purisima.

if you want to ride coe, we can ride coe, but something more sane, like a 4-5k ride especially if you've never been. staying relatively close to the lot would be a good choice. coe can get really harsh. jim donnelly->serpentine->wagon->kelley lake trail->coit->domino->grapevine->anza should be about 5k in 25 miles. Can take a detour up willow ridge road up to hoover lake for about 6k in 30 miles.

anyway, if you're gonna try, plan your nutrition, and carry a water filter.

not to be a bummer, just a realist, and looking out for you. you can get yourself into real trouble out at coe especially if you cramp up out in the boonies and you need to turn around. if you can put up strong rides with lots of miles and footies, go for it. if you can barely eek out 4k-5k in 20-30mi, try something else.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good water filtration system?
    Here is one starting point. Make sure to drill down the link in that post where you can find more detailed info.

P.S. Just realize that the linked thread probably illustrates the point that IAmHolland was trying to make.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    have you ridden coe? pacing won't really help unless the metric with that much climbing is close to your limit. we ride quite a bit, and you guys haven't put up centuries, on the road, in any recent months, nor any amount of climbing that is significant. any thing remotely close to 14k vertical, especially at a brutal place like coe, is not for the cavalier.

if you want to test yourself, there are a number of more sane tests we can do. a 7k ride would be a good start, at skegg's and purisima.

if you want to ride coe, we can ride coe, but something more sane, like a 4-5k ride especially if you've never been. staying relatively close to the lot would be a good choice. coe can get really harsh. jim donnelly->serpentine->wagon->kelley lake trail->coit->domino->grapevine->anza should be about 5k in 25 miles. Can take a detour up willow ridge road up to hoover lake for about 6k in 30 miles.

not to be a bummer, just a realist, and looking out for you. you can get yourself into real trouble out at coe especially if you cramp up out in the boonies and you need to turn around. if you can put up strong rides with lots of miles and footies, go for it. if you can barely eek out 4k-5k in 20-30mi, try something else.
    I am 4,600mi/550K footies for the year, however, Coe is very steep and eats up your strength as nothing else out there.

Puro Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post

I hear you-let's plan on something next month maybe a bit out of our comfort zone to get a feel for something like this. Rascal brought up a route around Kennedy-might be something yeah?

Wēk Ss
    I hear you-let's plan on something next month maybe a bit out of our comfort zone to get a feel for something like this. Rascal brought up a route around Kennedy-might be something yeah?
    Sure, but let's not do Kennedy. Seriously. Purisima and Skegg's is just as steep as Kennedy and way more enjoyable.

You never made it to my weak sauce ride, which was Purisima+Skegg's. I didn't complete it but it should be 6K. Skyline35 did though. The difference between a weak rider (me) and stronger riders is very apparent on these types of rides. I've been meaning to try again.

Charlie's skyline to the sea is 9k, IIRC, and also Skegg's + Purisima, I hope to be able to do that next year.

@poff, I'm 1270mi and 192Kft for the year, and I'm right around Nelson34's level of fitness. I would die on this Coe ride, I know it, and I won't even try as I've been to Coe more than a few times. I've cramped at Coe and ran out of water there too. It's not fun when you can barely ride out. You're clearly strong enough.

Puro Vida!
    Let's set something up for next weekend-

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Can anyone recommend a good water filtration system? Ive had this ride marked on my calendar for a few months.
    I've use the katadyn hiker pro on my long Coe days and while bikepacking and backpacking for over a decade (I have changed the filter inside it in that time). Hasn't let me down yet.

I bet there's something smaller/lighter out there but I've never been too concerned about that.

Nelson: Listen to Holland. Coe is awesome, but don't start with a big ride there unless you're in really great shape. Go on some smaller rides there and build up as you learn the trails and escape routes.

I may come for the start of this, just to cheer folks on at the start and then do a little ride suitable for my fatassery. Depends on the weather and if I get spousal approval.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

some news

Tomorrow Aaron (2011 'veteran') and a buddy are giving the 100 miler a shot - they couldn't make the October 6th date and are giving it a shot this weekend - the best of luck to them, and cheer on them if you'd happen to see them out there tomorrow!

With regards to the Everest challenge - I've put up a suggested loop, which when ridden twice after the 100 miler would get you the required elevation (probably only of interest to Sean ).

With regards to the metric course: a nice group seems to be shaping up for this; as mentioned above, this is still a formidable challenge - I am usually of the school of thought that says 'you can do more than you think you can' but Coe may indeed not be the best place to do your first long endurance ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Tomorrow Aaron (2011 'veteran') and a buddy are giving the 100 miler a shot - they couldn't make the October 6th date and are giving it a shot this weekend - the best of luck to them, and cheer on them if you'd happen to see them out there tomorrow!
    Awesome.. go Aaron! I'll still be training this weekend .. and next

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Awesome.. go Aaron! I'll still be training this weekend .. and next
    They started a little after midnight and have just descended Middle Ridge it seems, from their spot:

diskus
    I found that site but the map is blank?

mtbr member
    They made it past Dowdy Ranch! That stretch on Kaiser Aetna must have been beyond brutal today, with temps probably approaching the 90's..

Spot link:
    SPOT Shared Page
    (hope they won't mind me sharing it - it's too cool not to )

mtbr member
    May 2005

With regards to the Everest challenge - I've put up a suggested loop, which when ridden twice after the 100 miler would get you the required elevation (probably only of interest to Sean ).

With regards to the metric course: a nice group seems to be shaping up for this; as mentioned above, this is still a formidable challenge - I am usually of the school of thought that says 'you can do more than you think you can' but Coe may indeed not be the best place to do your first long endurance ride.
    Thanks!
    Am I right that if I camp at Coyote Lake County Park I am just minutes from where we start?

middle ring single track

10 minutes +/-

Thanks!
    Am I right that if I camp at Coyote Lake County Park I am just minutes from where we start?
    It's about 4-1/2 miles nearly flat from the Coyote Lake campground to the Hunting Hollow parking lot at Coe (where the ride starts)

Some cheapskates even park at Coyote/Harvey Bear (free day use parking) to avoid paying the fee at Coe. (Like me when I've forgotten my pass!)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

diskus
    Looks like they made it in just under 20 hours. Nice!

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    Yes; also, you're allowed to backcountry camp anywhere in Coe except the 'Western Area' (area around HQ, not applicable here), see Bikepacking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diskus View Post
    Looks like they made it in just under 20 hours. Nice!
    Looking at the Spot track it looks though that they took a left turn on Wagon road coming from Center Flats and took a beeline to HH... hope this turns out to be wrong but that would mean they'd strand at about 80ish miles... maybe they had trouble with lights/batteries or were spent?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Map?

Should I get a map of the park? I've navigated with success all over the West with a GPS and managed to get pretty lost with a map. Will I need both as someone who has never been there?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Should I get a map of the park? I've navigated with success all over the West with a GPS and managed to get pretty lost with a map. Will I need both as someone who has never been there?
    Thanks!
    With your experience you'd probably be fine with a GPS though I'd usually recommend the paper Coe topo map (sold at Headquarters) for someone who's never been there.

At Hunting Hollow (the starting place) there is a box that (normally) contains rudimentary trail maps, but even better is that the large Coe topo map is put on display on a pinboard. What you could do is take photos from it with a camera, then later look at the photos on the display of your camera to navigate if necessary...

I'm a "she".
    the paper Coe topo map (sold at Headquarters)
    I've purchased the map by mail before (four years ago) and remember receiving it fairly fast back then. A map can come handy should there be any unexpected issue with the GPS unit.

mtbr member
    You can also print off some maps from www.coepark.com - not as good as the topo but decent.

Most navigating problems at Coe come from missing intersections rather than knowing where to go when you reach one!

middle ring single track

Missing Markers

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Most navigating problems at Coe come from missing intersections rather than knowing where to go when you reach one!
    Many trail intersections are missing signposts or if they're present may be illegible. With out having the paper map to get mileages from there are several trails at Coe that I never would have found (being so overgrown and with no marker posts)

The map's not perfect either; here's an intersection along the ride route with a road that doesn't even appear on the map:
    Photobucket

At the intersection of two single tracks this is typical of many sign posts at Coe; it shows the general direction to a major landmark but the trail name is faded so you can't be sure what trail has just been reached.
    Photobucket

GPS + Map is the way to go. Maybe a compass as a backup!

More Torque
    Thanks!
    As others have mentioned, it is worth picking up the map, which is a very good product overall. If you have the option, get the plastic version; it is much more durable. Here's the kind of detail you can expect.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Hard COEre 100-mapsnip.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, I should have time on Fri to pick up a map at headquarters. I most certainly plan on being lost at times and look forward to it. Maybe I can get the Everest Challenge footies done before I finish the 100

It looks like JMS and I will be wandering around the park together so we can at least bounce possibilities off of each other. I generally simplify my tracks by hand and concentrate the tracks at intersections and have found that to be helpful. I'll use my 60csx and bring my 705 as a backup just in case.

JMS is too skinny to eat so we'll have to find a way out of there.....

Let's ride
    Sean, keep in mind that HQ is a long drive from Hunting Hollow. If you plan to get a map at HQ, you might want to start the ride there too. Just a thought.

If you're riding with JMS, there's a chance someone can get a map to him so as you both don't need to drive all the way to HQ if that isn't your planned starting point.

I'm a "she".
    JMS is too skinny to eat so we'll have to find a way out of there.....
    Lots of fishing holes at Coe.

I like mtn biking, too
    Another plug for the big map sold at HQ - in the map legend, it differentiates between the different types of trail. I have found that the skinniest singletrack trails on the map that are a good distance from either HQ or Hunting Hollow are likely to be similar to very faint animal tracks, or they are so overgrown that they may or may not be ridable. Likewise, some trails that look like fire road on the map are actually overgrown to the point that they are more like single track (Lyman Wilson comes to mind). Having map + GPS would be helpful. All part of the fun of Coe. I can't even imagine doing close to 100 miles there. Good luck!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    If you know how to load maps onto your GPS, I've loaded this one into mine before and it seemed very accurate with trail names on it (only used it once), 10 bucks.

Henry Coe State Park Map - A Map for your Garmin GPS

I still pull out the ole map once in awhile

And sometimes it's useful to let Map Tick decide which direction you should take

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Sean, keep in mind that HQ is a long drive from Hunting Hollow. If you plan to get a map at HQ, you might want to start the ride there too. Just a thought.

If you're riding with JMS, there's a chance someone can get a map to him so as you both don't need to drive all the way to HQ if that isn't your planned starting point.
    He won't do the proper 100 mile course then though (and miss out on the fun of the group start)... I for one am curious how fast the 100 mile course can be done so would like to see him start at HH..

Another idea: the course hits HQ at ~mile 37 around noonish, so he could buy it there during the ride; that first part is fairly easy to navigate and there will be other riders around that can help. The map would be needed more in Coe's 'Bermuda Triangle' (Dutch's to Dowdy Ranch) and/or later when GPS batteries may have died or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Lots of fishing holes at Coe.
    Also: at night you'll run into a lot of jackrabbits on the trail that look pretty easy to catch... I have some good Belgian recipes to share if you'd like (think wild hare cooked in port with cranberry jam, mmh).

diskus
    Coe is one place I wont go with out a map. and it is a very good one.

Not only do I use it to visualize distances, but on a number of occasions have used it to show others where THEY are

Puro Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post
    I've use the katadyn hiker pro on my long Coe days and while bikepacking and backpacking for over a decade (I have changed the filter inside it in that time). Hasn't let me down yet.

I bet there's something smaller/lighter out there but I've never been too concerned about that.

Nelson: Listen to Holland. Coe is awesome, but don't start with a big ride there unless you're in really great shape. Go on some smaller rides there and build up as you learn the trails and escape routes.

I may come for the start of this, just to cheer folks on at the start and then do a little ride suitable for my fatassery. Depends on the weather and if I get spousal approval.
    Yeah I'm gonna sit it out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    He won't do the proper 100 mile course then though (and miss out on the fun of the group start)... I for one am curious how fast the 100 mile course can be done so would like to see him start at HH..

Another idea: the course hits HQ at ~mile 37 around noonish, so he could buy it there during the ride; that first part is fairly easy to navigate and there will be other riders around that can help. The map would be needed more in Coe's 'Bermuda Triangle' (Dutch's to Dowdy Ranch) and/or later when GPS batteries may have died or something.

Thanks guys, I'd be coming up on Fri afternoon so I would think I would have time to get the map. If not I'll just wing it and hope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anybody looking to team up for the 62m (100k)?

Let me know!

Will be camping in HHollow Friday night.

mtbr member
    Five more nights before the excitement shall commence, hence there is still plenty of time to get your act together! The weather forecast says sunny with lows in the upper 40s and highs in the 70's - just as ordered .

I've added some more stuff on the site, and am copying a few things below.

Elevation profile of the 100 miler, and a pdf cue sheet. GPX file.

There is now a cue sheet for the metric course (100km) as well, and below is the elevation profile. Total vertical is about 14,000 ft. GPX file.

Note these are called 'cue' sheets for a reason: there is no guarantee these will prevent you from getting lost - in fact if you're not familiar with the park, count on getting lost, and using map, GPS, smartphone or a combination of the above to get back on the right track. (This can actually be a fun endeavour on itself, cfr the adventure races that sometimes take place here.) Bring lights with a healthy amount of battery capacity; a water filter or tablets. Plenty of food. The water level of the lakes is pretty low, so lake water may be scummy - luckily HQ, Pacheco Camp, Dowdy Ranch and Camp Willson should have plenty of clean water (with the water from the 'camps' probably best being filtered). There are reports of many down trees - nothing too hazardous but be careful.

IMO one of the toughest parts mentallly on both courses will be to drag yourself up Bear Mountain - but do not despair, like everything, also that climb will end. Hike it if needed. The 'hardest' part of the 100 miler is probably the section between mile 60 and 80 (to Dowdy Ranch and back) - from mile 80 things ease up, but there with a tough kicker in the end - the excursion onto Vasquez and Long Dam roads then followed by a 600 ft climb on Wagon road.

Finally, some news from Aaron and Garret who attempted it two weekends ago. It was a very hot day, and though they were initially way ahead of schedule, they had to bail at around mile 80, mostly due to the heat. I'm copying part of his message below...
    (note: due to a navigation issue they appear to have climbed Mac's Corral trail - much harder than the normal route and that deserves kudos!)

[Aaron] After an even harder effort this year, we came up empty handed again. Made it to the same bail-out point at the end of Center Flats Road. We had an awesome start at 1am, made really good time to HQ where we stopped for breakfast and watched the sunrise, and kept up the pace until the Bear Mountain Climb around 10am, when the heat of the day really started to get to us. Our momentary saving grace was Mississippi Lake, where we stopped for the most rejuvenating swim I've ever had. At this point, we were 5 hours ahead of record pace, and thought we had it in the bag. Quick blast down to Pacheco Camp (the pricklies weren't nearly as bad this year!). We could not find phoneline trail AT ALL - spent half an hour going back and forth, and finally just bushwhacked our way down to Coit Rd. Not sure if it was more overgrown this year, or if we were just looking in the wrong place, but I can't understand how we found it in the dark last year and couldn't find it this year! The next few climbs in the burning sun proved to be our undoing. When we finally got down Dutch's, we were totally spent, walking every climb, and Garret was showing signs of mild heat stroke. Due to a GPS malfunction (it kept telling us we were on course when we weren't), we missed the turnoff to Kaiser Aetna Rd, and instead got on a singletrack going up the creek and eventually straight hike-a-bike up the mountain. By the time I realized we missed our turn, we were far enough along the new trail that we decided to just take it all the way up to the visitor's center. Pretty nice trail actually, but it was brutal. Got to the visitor's center around 4:45pm, and Garret was definitely in the throes of heat stroke, so we decided to just chill, soak ourselves with the hose, and get his body temp back down before we headed back to the car. Stayed there for a couple hours while he recovered. Burra burra at sunset was absolutely beautiful, Center Flats was awful as always, and we were back at the cars around 8pm.

Even though I was in much better shape this year, it was WAY harder than last year because of the heat. Temps were definitely in the 90s, much higher than expected (forecast was in the 70s!). Hopefully they come down a bit for you guys in a couple weeks. The trails were in great shape, except there were a large number of downed trees all over the course - nothing dangerous or anything though.

I can do a full writeup at some point if you'd like, and I also took a ton of video, so I'll throw something together.

Now I have even more respect for this route, and want to finish it more than ever!! Definitely not anytime soon though!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not sure if it has anything to do with Aaron and Garrett's off route adventures, but the track is corrupted in places, just straight lines for a ways where the GPS lost reception. I'm only a bit into going through the track, but there is a significant error between Bear Mountain and I guess Murray Lake? I just followed the road and assume that there is no trail in this area. There are some other 500-1000' sections that are having the same issues. It's off in some intersections as well which does have me worried a bit.

Gonna be interesting
    Last edited by Sean Allan; 10-02-2012 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Not sure if it has anything to do with Aaron and Garrett's off route adventures, but the track is corrupted in places, just straight lines for a ways where the GPS lost reception. I'm only a bit into going through the track, but there is a significant error between Bear Mountain and I guess Murray Lake? I just followed the road and assume that there is no trail in this area. There are some other 500-1000' sections that are having the same issues. It's off in some intersections as well which does have me worried a bit.

Gonna be interesting

EDIT: I think I figured out what the issue was - it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

My apologies for the confusion (I have been staring for too long at wiggly lines on a screen I guess) and thanks Sean and Paul for spotting it. Please let me know if you find any other issues with the file(s).

(ignore the rest of the message below)

Sean,

The track I made available is basically the recorded track from last year (with my Edge 705) - I just popped it in Topofusion to take a look at the Bear Mountain area and to me it looks ok. I have some screenshots below, the top part with MyTopo tiles as background, the bottom part with OSM tiles.

The 'roads/trails' on MyTopo or USGS Topo maps are notoriously inaccurate for Coe; the OSM stuff is much better. Maybe you were looking at Topo map tiles? Otherwise, could you send me a screenshot of something that looks wrong? I really want to correct anything that's wrong, though after inspection of the rest of the track (on OSM), everything seems to look fine. Btw, never heard of Murray Lake .
    Last edited by ElHombre; 10-02-2012 at 11:30 AM.

middle ring single track

Siesta!

Sean,

The track I made available is basically the recorded track from last year (with my Edge 705) - I just popped it in Topofusion to take a look at the Bear Mountain area and to me it looks ok. I have some screenshots below, the top part with MyTopo tiles as background, the bottom part with OSM tiles.

The 'roads/trails' on MyTopo or USGS Topo maps are notoriously inaccurate for Coe; the OSM stuff is much better. Maybe you were looking at Topo map tiles? Otherwise, could you send me a screenshot of something that looks wrong? I really want to correct anything that's wrong, though after inspection of the rest of the track (on OSM), everything seems to look fine. Btw, never heard of Murray Lake .
    Aaron and Garrett probably would have fared better had they taken a siesta! There's a reason the SW was settled by the Spanish (as far as the Europeans are concerned!) They knew how to deal with the heat!

I was out in Coe on Sunday when it was in the 90's; I was on a mission so I pushed through the heat (both literally and figuratively); I only rode 10 or so miles but the +3K of climbing had me sweating like crazy. I went through 1 gallon of water and still had lost 3 pounds at the end of the day.

RE "Murray Lake"; that's Mississippi Lake's original (and still official on some documents) name. If I have my history correct Murray Hopkins was the bulldozer operator for Frank Coit when the dam was put across Mississippi Creek; Murray also dozed many of the roads in Coe. Coit honored him by naming the lake after him but DPR staff took exception the this legacy and named the lake after the creek when this portion of Coe was added to the park. I have no idea how Mississippi Creek was so named; it's certainly not as big as the Mississippi River!

RE the glitches in the GPX file; I could find 3; (A) the one short cutting County Line Road (not a problem because it gets back on track at the turn to the Missisippe Lake Trail); (B) Phoneline Trail (a problem see below); (C) Live Oak Spring Trail (not really a problem as it occurs after the intersection with Wagon Road)

Here's the Phoneline glitch in GE:
    Photobucket

Blue = GPX; Yellow = planned route. This is where following the map or the cue sheet will get you there, following the GPS will get you lost. The cue sheet mileage of .5 from the last turn from Coit Rd on to Pacheco Ridge Rd concurs with the map. Do you want to see the fix for Live Oak Springs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Blue = GPX; Yellow = planned route. This is where following the map or the cue sheet will get you there, following the GPS will get you lost. The cue sheet mileage of .5 from the last turn from Coit Rd on to Pacheco Ridge Rd concurs with the map. Do you want to see the fix for Live Oak Springs?
    Thanks Paul and Sean for catching these glitches - I now do see the other ones as well (Bear Mtn, Live Oak); I think I have been using a different version of the file while I was doublechecking - the one I'm looking at is different as the one on the server - I will try to fix this asap...

EDIT: it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

My apologies for the confusion (I have been staring for too long at wiggly lines on a screen I guess) and thanks Sean and Paul for spotting it. Please let me know if you find any other issues with the file(s).
    Last edited by ElHombre; 10-02-2012 at 11:28 AM.

middle ring single track

OK; but...

Thanks Paul and Sean for catching these glitches - I now do see the other ones as well (Bear Mtn, Live Oak); I think I have been using a different version of the file while I was doublechecking - the one I'm looking at is different as the one on the server - I will try to fix this asap...

EDIT: it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

...the above linked file looks pretty clean but this route avoids Pacheco Ridge Road and Phoneline Trail altogether:

Photobucket

Also your route takes the fun little ST social trail that shortcuts the Coit/Wasno Roads intersection; as that trail is not on the map and has no signpost it may cause some grief for riders who may well be in the dark and very tired when the reach this stretch.

Photobucket

Also it would be nice if you could link the GPX files so they download instead of opening in the browser as a text file, I'll quit complaining now!

mtbr member
    ...the above linked file looks pretty clean but this route avoids Pacheco Ridge Road and Phoneline Trail altogether:
    You are right - that is fixed now too (the new file is on the server, the filename and link are the same in order to not break existing links).

Also your route takes the fun little ST social trail that shortcuts the Coit/Wasno Roads intersection; as that trail is not on the map and has no signpost it may cause some grief for riders who may well be in the dark and very tired when the reach this stretch.
    This is for the 100k route right - there are a couple other things that I wanted to fix in it so I will create a new version of that as well asap.

Thanks for doublechecking everything and let this be a reminder that map&cue sheet have their value...

Also it would be nice if you could link the GPX files so they download instead of opening in the browser as a text file, I'll quit complaining now!
    I'm too lazy to make a clean PHP or Javascript downloader of sorts .

mtbr member
    This is for the 100k route right - there are a couple other things that I wanted to fix in it so I will create a new version of that as well asap.
    Ok, the metric GPX file should be fixed and up to date now too...

mtbr member
    May 2005

Sorry, I'm still getting the same problems. I don't know how to grab a screen shot out of Basecamp but here is a picture of it. This happens in more than a few spots. Topofusion looks exactly the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Hard COEre 100-hc-corrupt-file.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sorry, I'm still getting the same problems. I don't know how to grab a screen shot out of Basecamp but here is a picture of it. This happens in more than a few spots. Topofusion looks exactly the same.
    I just downloaded the linked file and do not have the issues - somehow you must still have the old version (browser cache?). Send an email to dirkdb at canyonfever.mtbguru.com and I will send you the file by email...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just downloaded the linked file and do not have the issues - somehow you must still have the old version (browser cache?). Send an email to dirkdb at canyonfever.mtbguru.com and I will send you the file by email...
    Thanks Dirk. I cleared everything out and started fresh and it looks o.k. Thanks for all your work!

Medium?
    Let me reiterate my offer to bring an ice chest full of goodies up to HQ for y'all. I'll supply the ice chest so you don't have to worry about getting it later.

SA, if you want a map, but you don't want to drive up to HQ for it (about an hour round trip), I've got one you can borrow from Friday until you ride up there on Saturday. You can return mine and buy a brand new one for yourself.

Send me a PM or email for my number in either case and please come by and say, "hi" when you get up to HQ. I'll be cooking tri-tip.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    O.K. so I've got a bit of a predicament...

JMS was going to be doing this along with me. He convinced me I should ride my hardtail because he was going to as well. I'm not sure of his intentions, it may have been to have someone to suffer with and laugh at as I got the crap beat out of me, or perhaps it is the best choice. He is not going to be riding now so I'm looking for advice for someone who has never been there.

Choices....
    19 lb Cannondale Flash 29 Hardtail
    24 lb Giant Anthem 29 FS
    22 lb Scalpel 26 FS

It's been a while since I've been on the Scalpel so that may out, it would probably take 30 miles for me to get used to the little wheels.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sean Allan; 10-03-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Can't type on my phone.....

Medium?
    Giant. However far you would've gone and however you'd have felt at the end, you'll go further and feel better with some squish.

I would hope that you'll be carrying a 15ish lb pack anyway, right? I don't see why the extra 5 lbs is going to matter except in a bad way. It is mostly buff, singletrack and road both. The HT won't kill you, but you asked my opinion.

fading away
    Looking forward to Saturday. Just need to go to COE HQ and buy the full-on map and then onto REI for a water filtration system. Have all the rest of my gear and food set aside. Will be bringing my 29er, although the 38-pound fatbike offers a more luxurious and comfortable ride thanks to the 26"x3.8" tires. Hopefully the 29er will be a better choice for such a long ride though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I would probably go with the Anthem. The extra squish at the end will be nice but then I have not ridden a hard tail in over a decade.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    I will try to pass along a bunch of official park maps to a rider who will be at the 7am start. Just bring $5 for the map or promise to come help at an upcoming trailwork day.

I ride a hardtail a lot in Coe. I would take that if I were going to do this. Fast Eddie is right, most of the terrain is relatively smooth.

I am volunteering at the Tarantula Fest and will not ride. I hope I get a chance to see you there.

Did you hear about the 100 year old guy who rode a metric century just before his 101st birthday last week?
    100-Year-Old Man Sets 100-Kilometer Cycling Record | The Hub | Bicycling.com

mtbr member

Choices....
    24 lb Giant Anthem 29 FS
    22 lb Scalpel 26 FS
    I've used a 29er hardtail twice for this with good result, though there are always 10-20 miles on the course I'm dreaming of full squish. (Actually at the very end, around mile 90, Vasquez and Long Dam 'roads' are included just to punish rigid riders ).
    With 20k feet of climbing, every ounce counts, so I lean to the weight weenie side of things, but if I would own a lightweight full squish I'd probably go with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Let me reiterate my offer to bring an ice chest full of goodies up to HQ for y'all. I'll supply the ice chest so you don't have to worry about getting it later.

SA, if you want a map, but you don't want to drive up to HQ for it (about an hour round trip), I've got one you can borrow from Friday until you ride up there on Saturday. You can return mine and buy a brand new one for yourself.

Send me a PM or email for my number in either case and please come by and say, "hi" when you get up to HQ. I'll be cooking tri-tip.
    Thanks FE and Sorcerer - we hope to see you there! My better half may be there with some goodies as well.

fading away
    SPECIAL NOTE: the visitor center is closed today (Thursday). I just got back from there. I was hoping to get the $7 deluxe map but instead was only able to grab one of the freebie ones.

More Torque

JMS was going to be doing this along with me. He convinced me I should ride my hardtail because he was going to as well. I'm not sure of his intentions, it may have been to have someone to suffer with and laugh at as I got the crap beat out of me, or perhaps it is the best choice. He is not going to be riding now so I'm looking for advice for someone who has never been there.

Choices....
    24 lb Giant Anthem 29 FS
    22 lb Scalpel 26 FS

It's been a while since I've been on the Scalpel so that may out, it would probably take 30 miles for me to get used to the little wheels.

Thanks!
    Go with one of the FS bikes, presumably whichever one you feel is the best climber. I've ridden all manner of bikes (26" HT, 29" HT, 700c CX, 26" FS, etc.) at Coe, and I find that with no rear suspension, you may get some faster times on the climbs, but the downhills are more sketchy and you end up way more beat up at the end of a long day. For the fire road stuff, the 29er HT is fine, but much of the singletrack is quite bumpy. There seem to be an inordinate number of stretches where the squirrel holes have collapsed, leaving the trail pockmarked and rough. It really starts to take its toll after the 3 hour mark.

Good luck out there; the weather looks perfect.

-D

mtbr member
    SPECIAL NOTE: the visitor center is closed today (Thursday). I just got back from there. I was hoping to get the $7 deluxe map but instead was only able to grab one of the freebie ones.
    Sorry you had to drive all the way out there... I wasn't aware of it (I hardly ever start a ride from HQ) but just checked the Coe site and it says that HQ is "open every weekend throughout the year, and it's often open on Fridays and Mondays, especially during the busy months of spring." Not sure what 'often' means so calling 408-779-2728 is probably recommended for a Friday (or Monday) visit.

But at least it looks you can get a map from Sorcerer/Paul at the start...

I'm a "she".
    My understanding is that the Coe visitor center is staffed by volunteers, so I'm not surprised that there is not a set schedule. Forgot about that earlier.

For a long ride like this, if the day temp drops by another 10 degrees and night temp rises by 10, I'd call that perfect. I suspect that heat will still be felt in the middle of the day, but on the other hand, it could be worse, much worse. Thank goodness, the heat wave has just passed.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm going to drop off enough maps for everyone with Plymmer to bring to the ride start on Saturday morning. I hoped my post here earlier would make it so Sean would'n't have to drive up to HQ.

Conditions look like they are going to be ideal. Right on!

If I were to ride this, I would say to myself, for the first 2/3 of the course, take all the hills one click easier than you need, because in the the third third of the ride, you be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm in for the 100k. See you all at 7am Saturday. BTW: there are quite a few hills in Coe were I wished I had an "easier click", as Paul suggested in his above post, but the only option to save some energy would be to hike-a-bike those sections.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to drop off enough maps for everyone with Plymmer to bring to the ride start on Saturday morning. I hoped my post here earlier would make it so Sean would'n't have to drive up to HQ.

If I were to ride this, I would say to myself, for the first 2/3 of the course, take all the hills one click easier than you need, because in the the third third of the ride, you be glad you did.
    Thanks, I'll take one of those, I'll make sure I have money, I guess I'll have to spend a little less at the 7-11 out on course. There is a 7-11 isn't there?

It looks to be 50/50 on bike choice. I'm going with the Anthem, it's always been good to me. My Flash has sent me to the hospital a few times......

mtbr member
    Hi,

Thanks for the maps, and that's good advice.

Some other things to consider: the 100 milers will hit Pacheco Camp at mile 60, with well over 10,000ft of climbing done at that point, and it will probably be close to sunset. At this point, you're an hour and a half to two hours away from the parking lot if you'd choose to take a bee-line back home... it makes a good bailout point if needed, and it makes staying the course and taking that left turn on Coit towards Pacheco Ridge pretty hard mentally. Unless you don't know what's still in store . Mile 60 to 80 will be the hardest, it will be dark, it will be hard to navigate, trails will be overgrown, steep, and that final fireroad (Center Flats) comes straight out of hell. Mile 80 to 100 will feel a lot easier after that, at least that's what I told myself the previous times.

For the 100k riders: close to the end, after dropping down Tule Pond trail and getting to Camp Willson, it will be very tempting to just drop down Lyman-Willson back to the lot. But you won't have 100k that way . The course goes further along Wagon, leads to an additional climb, a pretty heinous affair with ~600 ft of elevation gain. Then you take a right on Phegley Ridge road, a fireroad that climbs a bit to the ridge, then drops down, narrows and turns into an at times steep singletrack trail, with a few tight corners mixed in. It may be dark and you will be tired, so be careful here.

middle ring single track

Fantastic weather!

At least it was today at Coe; hopefully it'll hold---nice brisk Fall day it was!

This fella was crossing Center Flats Road today; saw 4 others---'tis the season!
    Photobucket

That's a segue to remind y'all about - TarantulaFest & Barbeque

...even if you're not doing one of the Hard COEre rides it might be fun to stop by and see Fast Eddy wearing an apron.

In other news...
    Photobucket
    This little guy was trying to find a sunny spot on Wagon Rd; he was lucky I spotted him at the last moment.

Lots of animals out on the move with the cooler weather; watch out for deer---especially bucks as they have love on their mind and are not watching where they're going. Nearly collided with one today!

Also should mention that the DPR is still doing grading work; Vasquez Road (part of the route) was graded in the last couple of days---smooth but loose. Many of the "fire roads" in Coe got the treatment this summer; best job I've seen them do in a while but it'll be after the first rains before they pack down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really hate to be a pain in the ass.... but it appears the MTBGuru site may be down and as such I can't get the route for the extra couple of loops. Perhaps someone could give me a little route info. on Sat morn with the map. I've tried in 3 different browsers for the past few hours to no avail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    the site is down. I think El Hombre can get you that when he gets online.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    I really hate to be a pain in the ass.... but it appears the MTBGuru site may be down and as such I can't get the route for the extra couple of loops. Perhaps someone could give me a little route info. on Sat morn with the map. I've tried in 3 different browsers for the past few hours to no avail.
    Sean, you're not a pain; our server on the other hand... earlier today we got a message from our host that the server is down - as in 'unrecoverable hardware failure'. Perfect timing! It just seemed to have died (hard drives seem luckily intact) - it will take a while to get everything running again.
    But what I've done is upload the GPX file of that extra Everest bonus to hardcoere100.com, which is on a different host. Here is the link to the file.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Plymmer has park maps now, and he will bring them Saturday morning. If you need one, hit him up.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Plymmer has park maps now, and he will bring them Saturday morning. If you need one, hit him up.
    If you don't know Plymmer, it will be very easy to spot him; you can't miss his car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2