2010 Tahoe-Sierra 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2010 Tahoe-Sierra 100

Itís time to start thinking about the 2010 Tahoe-Sierra 100, a unique and challenging ultra mountain bike race in the high sierras. This year boasts 6 more miles of singletrack, with removal of the paved section from last year. Starting and ending at the Ice Lakes Lodge in Serene Lakes, CA, near Soda Springs and the town of Truckee.

For amazing vistas and picturesque racing for mere mortals, the 50 mile version is the perfect (and still challenging) option. Either race option will be an unforgettable and exciting event with good people, amazing riding, smooth organization, and excellent support: the race of a lifetime.

For more info, check out the organizerís website:
    http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com...-sierra-50100/

See you there!

Feral Roadie
    There's some useful beta in the Endurance forum about this race. I'm signed up for the 50 miler...

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    any suggestions on tires??

sounds like I'll need something beefier that the usual XC race rubber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I took it as...additional to the ST/DT

that was added to the course last year. I'm sure once most of the area is accessible...we'll see a GPS map of the changes.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    definitely check out the endurance forum, a few of us have been chiming in there.

ST - last year, there was about 30ish miles? This year, sounds like a little more.

Great race, great location, great team organizing it. Come out and enjoy what the sierra have to offer!

mtbr member
    Would you recommend a hard tail or full suspension?!
    My hard tail is about 20 pounds and climbs like an animal. full suspenion is 10 lbs heavier...but is the full going to save more energy in terms of being bounced around for 100 miles?

mtbr member
    I'm probably not the best person to ask as I ride a ss hardtail exclusively, but its definitely fine on a hardtail. You of course would probably enjoy the full squish on some of the jarring descents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @beaverbiker: Reckon it should be close to 50% singletrack (more keeps getting added as the course is further developed).

This race will be one of several qualifying event options for next year's big event: The Western States Epic 100! It's going to be staged as the toughest MTB race in the country, featuring 19,500ft of climbing paired with 22,000ft of descending on a course of 75% single track. It's a point-to-point race with a 16hr cut off. And a major river crossing via zip line! More information coming...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm told that the full 100 mile course will be posted on the website within the next two weeks. There is to be more single track and more of the high Sierra vistas that Sean has tantalized us with. There is also to be be prize money awarded in both 50 and 100 groups! But be aware that the race fees will increase the longer you wait to register.

mtbr member
    the 50 miler looks........doable-ish to the normal rider.

50mi, 5400ft of climbing. That's not entirely brutal...

mtbr member
    50% ST?! Awesome. Of course, it seems the more single track that gets added to this the slower my finish time has been
    Red2_man: if you are a pretty strong rider used to longer fun rides I'm sure you can tackle the 50! give er a go, the location, scenery, organization is top shelf.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man

Do it! Foot hill and I will be there doing the 100.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Feral Roadie

I guarantee you'll beat at least one old fat dude...

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's about 5,400...if you skip the last climb. I think it is more like 7,400.

Edit: I just checked the GPS track...5400 is right.
    Romani ite domum

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchtoride
    This race will be one of several qualifying event options for next year's big event: The Western States Epic 100! ...

Hmmm,,, Tevis on Mt Bike??? I've done it twice on horseback,, tough enough,, on a bike would brutal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    Do it! Foot hill and I will be there doing the 100.
    I'm still nursing hand/shoulder injury, and now I've got stupid road bike knee pain. I don't get fit until the 13th of friggggin august.

Hopefully it just goes away, I'm down to tackle the fifty! Would be nice to use the 22t ring for the first time in about a year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster
    50% ST?! Awesome. Of course, it seems the more single track that gets added to this the slower my finish time has been
    Red2_man: if you are a pretty strong rider used to longer fun rides I'm sure you can tackle the 50! give er a go, the location, scenery, organization is top shelf.

Looking at the topo of the posted 50 miles course I see one single track segment - descending into French Meadows reservoir valley. Rest is marked as dirt roads. I will try to make it there for 50.

Feral Roadie
    Just a heads up. I was just checking the site and it has changed to no race day check in. Grrrr...

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    News bulletin: There is to be another little change to the Tahoe Sierra 100 course. After going over the Duncan canyon trail section (6 miles of singletrack), the race organizers have decided not to include it in the course. The trail is in very bad shape and the racers would have to be carrying their bikes for 4 miles out of the 6 miles of trail. The trail is in need of a lot of work and there just isn't the time to get it in shape for the race. Instead, there will be 4 miles of double track fire road added in the Dusty Corners area after coming off the single track on Pucker Point.

And a reminder from the organizers: For those of you that are signed up already please make sure you have the medical form filled out before you get to racer check-in on Friday, September 10th. The medical form is on the race web site. You cannot race if this form is not filled out!

And don't forget there is no racer check-in on race day. You must check in the evening before. The race starts at 6:30am on September 11th, with the racer meeting at 6:00am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    News bulletin: There is to be another little change to the Tahoe Sierra 100 course. After going over the Duncan canyon trail section (6 miles of singletrack), the race organizers have decided not to include it in the course. The trail is in very bad shape and the racers would have to be carrying their bikes for 4 miles out of the 6 miles of trail. The trail is in need of a lot of work and there just isn't the time to get it in shape for the race. Instead, there will be 4 miles of double track fire road added in the Dusty Corners area after coming off the single track on Pucker Point.

And a reminder from the organizers: For those of you that are signed up already please make sure you have the medical form filled out before you get to racer check-in on Friday, September 10th. The medical form is on the race web site. You cannot race if this form is not filled out!

And don't forget there is no racer check-in on race day. You must check in the evening before. The race starts at 6:30am on September 11th, with the racer meeting at 6:00am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Confirmed and undecided Tahoe-Sierra 50/100 racers: I'm trying to get an idea of the number of people racing, what you're anticipating, what concerns you may have, etc. After talking with Jimmy, I have a pretty good idea of what racers can expect on race day: less moon dust, reduction of babyhead rocks on some climbs, some cattle roaming. It sounds idyllic, especially with the weather we've been having (read: not as dry and dusty overall) and can expect to have.

Apparently the course is nearly all marked out with bright pink ribbon. More singletrack keeps getting added, and Jimmy is going to have an updated map posted on the Global Biorhythms website this week.

Race registration closes on September 10. Good luck folks!

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchtoride
    Confirmed and undecided Tahoe-Sierra 50/100 racers: I'm trying to get an idea of the number of people racing, what you're anticipating, what concerns you may have, etc.
    I will start the 50; I'll mostly likely finish; I will seriously regret not doing more longer rides this summer.

The one concern I have from my pre-riding efforts so far is that the "fire road" isn't as mindless as most fire roads are in the Bay Area. ( i.e. it's rutted and rocky enough that you have to pay attention vs "just ride". ) It was fine for 4 hours, but I'm a bit concerned about stupid falls due to lack of attention as I get tired. I'm hoping a rear tire change will provide
    more confidence.

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member

Preride = WTF??

Can somebody explain where exactly the 'Duncan Canyon' single track is?
    I am not real familiar with this area.

Zon and I prerode the first half of the course today. We had some confusion as to whether or not the singletrack along Red Star Ridge is actually part of the 100 course or not. That section of trail is part of the Western States Trail and is signed as 'Tevis Trail' when you cross it near the twenty mile point. There is multiple pink ribbons along that ST. There is also pink ribbons on the fire road past the turn off for Tevis Trail.
    That section of Tevis is hardly rideable. We probably hiked 75% of that trail. It was about 6 miles in length and took over two hours to negotiate.
    Besides major rock gardens, the trail was way too dusty and loose. No traction at all. It made Downieville look like a walk in the park. Areas of it were seriously overgrown with buck brush that just shreds whatever skin or clothing it comes in contact with.
    At the end of that trail, we ended up turning back towards French Meadows Reservoir. We went around the lake and filled up our Camelbacks at a campground. We spun back up the long climb and pick up the course past the Tevis Trail turn off. Zon's GPS konked out around 50 miles and we still had 15 - 20 miles left to get back to Ice Lakes Lodge.

Some side notes:
    Do not rely on water bottles. I had two bottles on my bike as well as a 100oz Camelback. Two miles into the ride I dropped a water bottle. I circled back around to get it and discovered the jarring had actually broke the water bottle cage! Thats not going to work on raceday.

Tires - bring something gnarly that has good traction and volume. I was running a worn WTB Exiwolf front and a newer Spec Fast Track rear. No traction any where. I was constantly drifting at high speed and could not lay power down to the ground on climbs. I will have new rubber on for raceday. Probably Nevegals front and rear.

Bike choice - I felt really good on my 29r HT. I finished the day out really strong.
    The 80mm fork was maxed out but I never really felt like I needed a lot more. The pedaling effeciency of the HT really really helped out.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    ^^^ agree with the meatier tread, but personally don't think you need to go crazy. Last year (course very similiar this year) I had some decent knobs up front (blue groove) and still ran a fairly lightweight tire/tread in the rear (don't recall what) with decent results.

water bottles work fine, just make sure you have a good cage King Cages have never let me down. If you dont trust your cage, then of course, bladder time.

Members who have read this thread: 0