2010 Bidwell Bump XC/SUPER D Race !!! Pin It Norcal !! Ride Or Die !!- Mtbr.com
    RAD TUNES
    Nov 2007

2010 Bidwell Bump XC/SUPER D Race !!! Pin It Norcal !! Ride Or Die !!

2010 BIDWELL BUMP, CHICO CA. XC/Super D RACE !!! PIN IT NORCAL !! RIDE OR DIE !!

SEPTEMBER 18TH.. THE MOST TECH GNAR XC / SD RACE IN NORCAL....

LEGENDARY SUPER D RACE !! 20 MINUTES OF VOLCANIC ROCK SINGLE TRACK !! ROCK GARDENS , TIGHT , TWISTY , STEEP !!! BAD .

IF YOU DON'T RACE. YOU SHOULD SELL YOUR BIKE AND GET ROLLERBLADES.

CALLING OUT ... This is one Race you wont forget.

WEIR, MOESCHLER, CRUZ, RIFFLE , Wild Bill Roussel !!! Keith DeFiebre !!!!, LOPEZ , KENDALL WEED , WILSON , AMES, HUGHES , FELLERS , LOWELL , SLAVEN , TIMMEL , BEAVERS, OLSON, WARD !!

" width="549">
    Last edited by STracy; 08-11-2010 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thunder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thunder Bringer All Mtn challenge this year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is Steve Slater making an appearance? He has some dh-talent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Olsen (Tim) for XC win

Olsen (Nick) for Super D win

Wookie for bike toss/mechanical issue win

Sean the Prawn for liver destruction win

Rad Chad for most-burrito-trucks-visited win

I hope to be there for it all

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    Thunder Bringer All Mtn challenge this year?
    yes the dh will be boondocks on sunday!!!
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

kendallweed

I don't think jeff will make it. I spoke with him about this at n* this summer and he said guardians is to hard of a trail to race a super-d on. too bad he has mad skills.
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

Butcher
    So what's a decent (or even good) time to reach B-trail from the start of North Rim? I know the top guys crush it, so let's leave them out of it.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    50 Minutes from my house is my goal.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    50 Minutes from my house is my goal.
    How many miles from your house to North Rim?

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    About 23 minutes to the White Cross...so that means i'm aiming for a 27 minute climb to B trail. I'm close to this on a training ride, going hard but not race pace.
    I think Lowell and Tim O are doing it in about 23 minutes according to their Garmin files.
    Looks like last year I did it in 28 minutes...

Butcher
    Cool. Thanks for the info. today was the first time I ever timed myself and I came in at about 30mins. Never raced before but I'm considering making this my first. I have no delusions about where i'll finish. Just want to make sure I don't embarrass myself. Got about 10 more lbs to lose so that should help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A good racing time for going up North Rim is 20 minutes or less. Same with going down Guardian, 20 minutes or less. Easier said than done.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Olson
    A good racing time for going up North Rim is 20 minutes or less. Same with going down Guardian, 20 minutes or less. Easier said than done.

Thanks for crushing my dream.

I'll just settle for finishing then.

mtbr member
    Sorry Tim, I'll have to call BS on the 20 minutes up North Rim thing. For a normal person, anywhere between 25 and 35 minutes would be good. 20 minutes or under is freaking ridiculous. You just got PWNED

mtbr member
    Not that I'm anywhere close to 20min up North Rim, but I'm more worried about my time up 10 Mile House I've only got my SS and my legs crap out about half way up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've heard of guys doing 18:30 up north rim, but I have never been anywhere near that myself. Whatever time you get to the powerlines is your halfway point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Not that I'm anywhere close to 20min up North Rim, but I'm more worried about my time up 10 Mile House I've only got my SS and my legs crap out about half way up.
    I'm sure a "good" time up Ten Mile House would be in the 12 minute range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SS and 10 Mile House don't go hand in hand like Tiner and Nutella, the upper steep part you are better off running and not mashing all your energy. For the Park I like 32x19 on my 29er, I can clear North Rim with 32x18, but it makes me cry a few times and is actually slower than a lower gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15
    SS and 10 Mile House don't go hand in hand like Tiner and Nutella, the upper steep part you are better off running and not mashing all your energy. For the Park I like 32x19 on my 29er, I can clear North Rim with 32x18, but it makes me cry a few times and is actually slower than a lower gear.
    I prefer a 32x20. I also prefer to eat Nutella dipped banana's the whole way up. I'm only a couple weeks away from riding Tom. I've been off the Nutella for a month now. Next time you see Lowell, ask him to show you the sick ass shirt I gave him.

mtbr member
    I've been running 32x18 to toughen up my legs and learn to attack the climbs, but I'm certainly not faster overall when I have to periodically stop because of jello legs and tears. Thanks making me feel better about "downgrading" my ratio. I can run 32x20 and still a manly man dammit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been running 32x18 to toughen up my legs and learn to attack the climbs, but I'm certainly not faster overall when I have to periodically stop because of jello legs and tears. Thanks making me feel better about "downgrading" my ratio. I can run 32x20 and still a manly man dammit!
    32x20 is good too, a bit slow on the flats, but good for the park. I learned about gearing at the Granite Bay races where you race 3 laps, first lap you kill the climbs, second lap you suffer on the slimbs, 3rd lap you walk some of them. Gear down a touch and you are better off in the long run.

Bike and Board should have a 20, the 19 is harder to find. My Fisher uses the cheap slip on cogs so switching ratios is cheap and worth trying.

Butcher
    So why do they call it the "bump" anyway?

And please don't tell me because it's so bumpy.

mtbr member
    32x20 is good too, a bit slow on the flats, but good for the park. I learned about gearing at the Granite Bay races where you race 3 laps, first lap you kill the climbs, second lap you suffer on the slimbs, 3rd lap you walk some of them. Gear down a touch and you are better off in the long run.

Bike and Board should have a 20, the 19 is harder to find. My Fisher uses the cheap slip on cogs so switching ratios is cheap and worth trying.
    before I changed last month I had been running 32x20 for two years and always enjoyed it. I guess masochism is what made me try 32x18, but your story is a good reminder that masochism doesn't necessarily get you good race times. I still have a nice Surly 20t, among others. It's definitely handy to have a collection of possible ratios on hand

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    So why do they call it the "bump" anyway?

And please don't tell me because it's so bumpy.
    every 10min the guy in last place gets "bumped off" by a sniper

Butcher
    every 10min the guy in last place gets bumped off by a sniper

That I believe.

190lbs of climber
    I've heard of guys doing 18:30 up north rim, but I have never been anywhere near that myself. Whatever time you get to the powerlines is your halfway point.
    I don't think I'm going to make it all the way up there on the 18th and 19th, but if the collegiate race happens I'll go for that. Good thing I didn't get summoned on the poster, cause then I'd never live it down--it probably has something to do with getting toasted on the descents last year.

I'm pretty sure Timmel and I climbed North Rim sub 18 if not sub 17 minutes last year at the collegiate/open race. Then the locals (Tim and Aren) dropped me like a bad habit on the descent. The same happened in the Super D... I took the collegiate in 22:20, and got smashed by Tim by around 3 minutes. Hot damn.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    I don't think I'm going to make it all the way up there on the 18th and 19th, but if the collegiate race happens I'll go for that. Good thing I didn't get summoned on the poster, cause then I'd never live it down--it probably has something to do with getting toasted on the descents last year.

I'm pretty sure Timmel and I climbed North Rim sub 18 if not sub 17 minutes last year at the collegiate/open race. Then the locals (Tim and Aren) dropped me like a bad habit on the descent. The same happened in the Super D... I took the collegiate in 22:20, and got smashed by Tim by around 3 minutes. Hot damn.
    Menso, You killed it for a non local and even more impressive with the broken pedal (I think that was you). A bit more time in Bidwell and you would have it dialed!

From the helmet cam footage Aren took for me, he was 20min up NR, 7min down B trail 10min up Ten Mile House.

mtbr member
    I switched to 32x19 and tried timing myself up North Rim this evening. Did it in ~18 minutes! ...to the power lines. Total time closer to 40min. Looks like I have some work to do

mtbr member
    I switched to 32x19 and tried timing myself up North Rim this evening. Did it in ~18 minutes! ...to the power lines. Total time closer to 40min. Looks like I have some work to do
    Try going to a 34x18 and you'll do it in like 16 minutes .....to Maidu.

RAD TUNES
    Nov 2007
    I can't believe the amount of "*****" NorCal riders. Hardly any post for Chico Bump. People just want to ride ******** smooth trails in the bay and stroke there suspension setups.. NorCal Mtn bike scene is pathetic. The bidwell bump should be ****ing sold out like Downieville .. Downtown scene is RAD, the XC / SD race is ridiculous, it is what REAL COURSES SHOULD BE. I guess No sponsors No people. Ride for the man not for the Brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STracy
    I can't believe the amount of "*****" NorCal riders. Hardly any post for Chico Bump. People just want to ride ******** smooth trails in the bay and stroke there suspension setups.. NorCal Mtn bike scene is pathetic. The bidwell bump should be ****ing sold out like Downieville .. Downtown scene is RAD, the XC / SD race is ridiculous, it is what REAL COURSES SHOULD BE. I guess No sponsors No people. Ride for the man not for the Brand.
    Don't take it personal man. There are a lot of under-appreciated events all over. It's a big state and getting to Chico is a haul for some people. This does look like a great event and I've heard good things about Bidwell. Maybe I'll do it if it's not 105 degrees that weekend.

RAD TUNES
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Don't take it personal man. There are a lot of under-appreciated events all over. It's a big state and getting to Chico is a haul for some people. This does look like a great event and I've heard good things about Bidwell. Maybe I'll do it if it's not 105 degrees that weekend.

12.5 Mile Rock Garden to a 5.5 Mile Super D Rock Garden..... in 100 degree weather. Its pain , suffering, nasty fast.. ITS MOUNTAIN BIKING AT ITS BEST !! Sierra Nevada Brewery downtown. Its Mountain bike Mania !!

Butcher
    The race is in mid-Sept... right?

And with an 8am start... It won't be near 100degrees during the XC, that's for sure. highly doubtful it'll get over 95 in the afternoon.

Hell... I think it's only 85 right now! And I saw a ton of people out riding yesterday evening when it was at least 90.

So thanks for the kind schedule.

Three Wheeler Expert
    RAD. Can't wait! Gonna throw down hard! need a gravity dropper seat post though...
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

Butcher
    Last Saturday...

I was really happy with my 28min. climb up NR to B-trail...

...but I was also blown apart by the time I got there.

I'll have to work on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    Last Saturday...

I was really happy with my 28min. climb up NR to B-trail...

...but I was also blown apart by the time I got there.

I'll have to work on that.
    When you break down the fast Bump times, it is scary to see how little time you have to make any one section of the park, makes it all that much more impressive.

Good job on the 28 minutes up NR, that a good time for most of us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STracy
    haha. what are you on? meth? like most butte county residents...
    you sound scary but i bet you arent.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I'm having a hard time understanding these valley people...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamWOW
    haha. what are you on? meth? like most butte county residents...
    you sound scary but i bet you arent.
    Come out and ride the race. We'll see what you're made of city slicker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ill bring the lightning with me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamWOW
    ill bring the lightning with me.
    bring your ShamWOW to help with the blood and tears, the Bump will make you say WOW every time!

Members who have read this thread: 0