mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! 1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trail Summit!

1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trail Summit!-rta_summit_2019_event_mtbr.jpg
    1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trails Summit

The Jefferson State region of Northern California and Southern Oregon is an area with a significant amount of public land. In California alone, we have over 13 million acres of National Forest land.

These and other public lands hold big opportunities for trail-based recreation, MTB tourism, and a new economic engine for communities of our region.

Over the past decade, the passion and commitment of MTB trail groups throughout our area has led to the development and maintenance of hundreds of miles of high-quality, sustainable trails. Together, these trails are helping create a region-wide trail recreation environment which is healthy and vibrant. They’re also beginning to demonstrate to rural communities and land managers that great MTB trails create not only healthy outdoor recreation opportunities, but can also become a destination for regional tourism.

Redding Trail Alliance (RTA) and Trail Labs Co. are eager to encourage this momentum.

On February 23rd and 24th, RTA and Trail Labs Co. will host the 1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trails Summit in Redding, CA.

This event will be completely free to attend thanks to our amazing sponsors: McConnell Foundation, New West Medical, Inc., Owens Healthcare, Redding Trail Alliance, Trail Labs Co. and Fall River Brewing!

Our goal with this inaugural event is simple; connect communities. The conference is our first event of this type in the region, and as such, we want to focus on creating an opportunity for trail supporters and advocates to connect, learn, and have a great time.

Event Overview

The Summit is a two-day event, with Saturday consisting of a Conference with presentations from each of the following trail associations.

Mount Shasta Mountain Bike Association

Redding Trail Alliance

Redwood Coast Mountain Bike Association

Rogue Valley Mountain Bike Association

Trailworks (of Chico)

Trinity Trail Alliance

We are also excited to announce a special presentation about a new federal lands policy which is intended to have a big positive impact on trails. This presentation, titled “Community Driven Trail Stewardship: Overview of the new Forest Service Trail Management Model” will lead off the conference Saturday morning, followed by presentations from the previously mentioned groups.

Following the morning’s session we will have a guided ride at nearby Swasey Recreation Area. This ride will feature two purpose built mountain bike trails that were completed by Redding Trail Alliance in the last two years. After you have worked up an appetite we invite you back to the conference location for music, beer and food trucks. This is when the real party starts!

On Sunday, a small introductory trail building workshop will offered, culminating in some new trail construction at BLM managed Swasey Recreation Area.

Both days are free to attend! Saturday is open to all with no registration required. Sunday’s trail workshop requires registration and is limited to 30 people.

If you’re interested in helping your local trail group we highly recommend you register for this workshop.

Introduction to Trail Building Workshop

Overview: This is an introductory trail building workshop focused on educating and training volunteers so that they can work efficiently and safely in a supervised field setting. The workshop will consist of several hours of in-class lecture on Sunday morning, followed by several hours of field instruction in the afternoon.

The in-class session will focus on fundamentals of sustainable trails, basic processes and techniques for building trail, commonly encountered problems with trails, and basic techniques for how to solve these problems.

During the field instruction session, students will see demonstrations of new trail construction, practice the processes and techniques they learned in class, and then apply their new skills building a trail at BLM managed Swasey Recreation Area west of Redding.

Who should enroll: Those who have some basic experience building trails and want to volunteer more with their local trail group. Content is focused on providing a base skill-set for volunteers to work safely and efficiently.

Cost: Free, all thanks to our amazing sponsors!

Availability: 30 participants

Conference Schedule

Saturday, February 23rd

Location: Veterans Memorial Building, 1605 Yuba St., Redding, CA 96001 (ample parking across California Street at the parking garage.)

9:00 - 10:30 am: Conference Sessions

10:30 - 11:00 am: Break. Coffee, water and snacks will be provided.

11:00 - 1:30 pm: Conference Sessions

3:00 - 5:00 pm: Guided MTB ride at Swasey Recreation Area

6:00 - 10:00 pm: Evening Social. Food trucks, beer, music and MTB movies..

Sunday, February 24th

Introduction to Trail Building Workshop
    (Registration for this event is limited to 30 people. Registration opens 1-21-19)

Field work at Swasey Recreation Area

9:00 - 11:00 am: Trail Building Workshop - In-class Lecture

12:00 - 3:00 pm: Trail Building Workshop - Field Instruction

You can register for this workshop at
    1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trails Summit — Redding Trail Alliance
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for posting this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Isn't that name going to turn some people off? Marketing matters.

Regardless, I'd be interested in going but the Berkeley Blue State Blue Wave Summit is the same weekend.
    Last edited by Callender; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    On the flip side, I went from 6 to noon.

The bay area is the worst place in the nation for mtb related stuff. The idea of the State of Jefferson is to separate from that mentality, in a nutshell. Sounds like good marketing to me, but then again I might be biased.

Thanks for sharing OP!
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Oh man. I'll keep my response to that comment to myself and simply state that this is awesome and it's amazing to see mtb communities from this part of the state go about this in a way that completely breaks the mold of the normal status quo.

These trail zones in the real nor-cal are great and being built at a rate and quality unheard of in most of the state!!!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Cool! The state of Jefferson is silly, but whatever. If you build it (trails), he will come. Good info. Thanks!
    45=25

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We hoped not. It's meant to represent a geographical area, and not any political ideas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We hoped not. It's meant to represent a geographical area, and not any political ideas.
    Yeah good luck with that..
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Yeah good luck with that..
    Well I can assure the conference won't be

Hope to see you there. It should be a fun weekend. If people don't want to take the trail building workshop on Sunday, there is a free 14 mile trail run going on, and possibly a Cyclocross race! Should be a great time in Redding.

Oh and if you don't want to join us on our ride Saturday afternoon, you can start drinking beer early at the downtown Hops and Shops!

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Cool! The state of Jefferson is silly, but whatever. If you build it (trails), he will come. Good info. Thanks!
    My thoughts as well. The name immediately struck me as negative. Then I read the details and the sponsors and realized it had nothing to do with that cult.

Thanks for posting and thanks to the organizers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I sort of viewed it as a tongue in cheek comment with the name. I also had an initial "WTF" reaction, but makes sense when you read the details.

And the name did make me click to read the details...so there is that.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The state of Jefferson has been a topic of conversation in NorCal for decades. Dividing the state is not entirely without merit, but doing so would likely cut off the nose to spite the face.
    45=25

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for posting. I chuckled at Jefferson like I always do. Good way to distinguish the area from "Norcal", with a sense of humor. :-)

Sounds like a great community event. Reminds me I need to get up there this year & ride.

Good luck with the conference.

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    My thoughts as well. The name immediately struck me as negative. Then I read the details and the sponsors and realized it had nothing to do with that cult.

Thanks for posting and thanks to the organizers!
    I recommend a little historical research on Jefferson State. The event name isn't tongue-in-cheek as someone suggested. Nor is there anything cult-ish about it per your own remark.

There's good reason why the organizers of this event chose the name they did. There's a huge spirit of inclusiveness in the region and perhaps you'll attend and bring some of that spirit back here to MTBR Nor Cal...

It could really use some

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    I recommend a little historical research on Jefferson State. The event name isn't tongue-in-cheek as someone suggested. Nor is there anything cult-ish about it per your own remark.

There's good reason why the organizers of this event chose the name they did. There's a huge spirit of inclusiveness in the region and perhaps you'll attend and bring some of that spirit back here to MTBR Nor Cal...

It could really use some
    True that!!!!

It could really use some
    If that region offers such a truly positive experience then maybe YOU should attend and put and end to your habit of posting negative remarks.

mtbr member
    If that region offers such a truly positive experience then maybe YOU should attend and put and end to your habit of posting negative remarks.
    The above comes from your forum Administrator who I called out for HIS negativity

"The name immediately struck me as negative. Then I read the details and the sponsors and realized it had nothing to do with that cult"

Have a different opinion or view on something and get admonished by the Admin

My Chiclet's count went up from my last post. I'm in Millville, CA and I'll be at the event mentioned. You should put your cosmopolitan bias aside and join us

Clever Title
    Nov 2009

It could really use some
    Perhaps YOU should do a little more research on the State of Jefferson and it's backers... Also the "inclusiveness" request is a nice touch considering the whole concept of the State of Jefferson is one of exclusivity for those of a certain political lean. A literal carving out from the rest of the world, that supports them via our taxes.

My apologies, Loki. I didn't intend for this to turn into a crap show.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Perhaps YOU should do a little more research on the State of Jefferson and it's backers... Also the "inclusiveness" request is a nice touch considering the whole concept of the State of Jefferson is one of exclusivity for those of a certain political lean. A literal carving out from the rest of the world, that supports them via our taxes.
    I'm certain I said historical research If you knew what it was you might have a better understanding or even agree to what I'm saying.

There's no current, legitimate move to secede that I'm aware of, or part of for that matter. Even locally it's as much a mystery as our infamous cryptid is.

But believe what you wish.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    So... How 'bout them Warriors!
    45=25

mtb'er
    I would have called it "NorthestCal MTB Trail Summit"... to avoid the insanity that comes with anything remotely political these days :-)

Hopefully you can get some civic leaders to show up for even a small portion of this, so they can see the energy mountain bikers bring to creating trails, building recreation based tourism, etc. "Great communities build trails, and great trails build community."

mtbr member
    There's no current, legitimate move to secede that I'm aware of, or part of for that matter.
    No, there's no legitimate move to secede, but that doesn't stop far right wing people from saying they want to secede and from flying the State of Jefferson flag.

Like it or not, and despite whatever historical roots there may be "State of Jefferson" has been adopted by California's far right and it implies far right in the current state of California's politics. I think it was a foolish decision for the organizers to use it as a name for their group as it's going to alienate a large number of would-be attendees.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    "NorthestCal MTB Trail Summit".:
    Southern Cascades MTB Trail Summit - Accurately reflects geomorphic province that covers NorCal and Oregon.

mtbr member
    .. it's going to alienate a large number of would-be attendees.
    But not from that area

Name:  JS1.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  11.9 KB
    1st Annual Jefferson State MTB Trail Summit!-js2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Southern Cascades MTB Trail Summit - Accurately reflects geomorphic province that covers NorCal and Oregon.
    I prefer Cascadia

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jesus people, overthink much? Those of us that actually live in Norcal occasionally refer to ourselves as the state of Jefferson. Even flaming libs like me.

Relax, come up and hang with us for a weekend, drink beer and bask in the glow of inclusiveness.

Moderator Moderator
    (Nor)^2 Cal, would be my vote.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No, there's no legitimate move to secede, but that doesn't stop far right wing people from saying they want to secede and from flying the State of Jefferson flag.

Like it or not, and despite whatever historical roots there may be "State of Jefferson" has been adopted by California's far right and it implies far right in the current state of California's politics. I think it was a foolish decision for the organizers to use it as a name for their group as it's going to alienate a large number of would-be attendees.
    As a left leaning commie pinko. I don't get too butthurt over the Jefferson thing. I do find it silly to see signs all the way south like El Dorado county.

BTW, southern Oregon public radio refers to themselves as "Jefferson Public Radio" I personally don't think the right has a strangle hold on the name.

J
    Last edited by jeph; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Jesus people, overthink much? Those of us that actually live in Norcal occasionally refer to ourselves as the state of Jefferson. Even flaming libs like me.

Relax, come up and hang with us for a weekend, drink beer and bask in the glow of inclusiveness.
    Thanks for speaking up. I can't wait to hear what you guys got planned for your presentation.

Actually come to think of it, just have the girls give the presentation in their Bog Stomp outfits and I can guarantee it will be the most popular one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My apologies, Loki. I didn't intend for this to turn into a crap show.
    It's all good. Most of the comments have been pretty darn positive in one way or another.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    So... How 'bout them Warriors!
    It's Boogie Time! So fun to watch, even if the winning is easy.

I have it on my TO RIDE list to get up to Redding. That new stuff looks sick, and lots of old stuff to boot. Cool event program - could turn more rebel bikers into responsible teamworkers for positive growth. That's a good "State" to be shooting for!

hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Thanks for speaking up. I can't wait to hear what you guys got planned for your presentation.

Actually come to think of it, just have the girls give the presentation in their Bog Stomp outfits and I can guarantee it will be the most popular one.
    Hey - have you all ever been to Southern Oregon? Cause - they are the State of Jefferson too and are they are coming to the party. So leave your not-so-northern California biases behind and go see what the real State of Jefferson is like.

Good luck - I hope you have a great event!

Moderator Moderator
    I'm thinking to drive up for a couple days. Where's a good place to stay?

mtbr member
    Not sure how I missed this thread earlier, but I'm pumped and will be there on Saturday!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No Bias here! Thats one of the reasons we went with the name because we wanted to include southern Oregon. Rogue Valley Mountain Bike Association from Ashland will be at the conference presenting! We hope to expand to other groups such as Klamath, Oakridge etc. in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Klarity View Post
    Hey - have you all ever been to Southern Oregon? Cause - they are the State of Jefferson too and are they are coming to the party. So leave your not-so-northern California biases behind and go see what the real State of Jefferson is like.

Good luck - I hope you have a great event!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'm thinking to drive up for a couple days. Where's a good place to stay?
    The Thunderbird lodge downtown. Walking distance to good food and beer, and easy access to the trails on the westside. Bring your bike in the room though.

Or on the other side of town, you have the La Quinta (always dog friendly), The Hampton Inn, or the TownePlace Suites. All near Hilltop and easy access to I-5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Might as well leave your car unlocked at Thunderbird, make it easier for them to get in the vehicle instead of breaking a window.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Not sure how I missed this thread earlier, but I'm pumped and will be there on Saturday!
    You realize the event takes place in February?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    You realize the event takes place in February?
    Yes. I was going to write more contrasting that I want to but won't be able to stay for the Sunday training sessions, but I didn't feel like that writing that all out. Now you made me do it anyway

But by coincidence I will be in Redding this Saturday as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Signed up, plan to be there both days. For those who are on the fence, Redding Trail Alliance is very friendly and Definitely have their stuff together. No attitude, no ego, just cool people. Excited to learn more on trail specific building.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We are only two weeks away! For those that maybe don't want to join us for the group ride on Saturday there is the Hops and Shops in downtown Redding, to get you nice and tuned up for the party that night. https://www.facebook.com/events/372192389998811/

The following day we have a great grass roots cyclocross race if you aren't participating in our workshop. https://www.facebook.com/events/2051964521557683/ only $20 and it gets you amazing grub made by the promoters mom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As far as this Jefferson State thing goes, a lot of the anti-government types want to privatize the public lands. What they don't realize is that a lot of these tech millionaires will buy the land and establish huge ranches, like Ted Turner did, and fence it off and put up No Trespassing signs. We need to keep the public lands for the public.