12 Hours of Humboldt.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

12 Hours of Humboldt.

Anybody got any GPS data on the course? I've read 8.9 miles x 1600 feet, but the climbing is really a subjective thing depending on how you look at the numbers and where they came from in the first place.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

The course is a lot of fun. It's all under the giant redwoods of the Arcata Community Forest. For photos taken on course visit www.teambigfoot.net.

We're taking last year's 8-mile course and adding a few sections, bringing it probably close to 8.9 miles or so with about 1600' of climbing per lap. The climbing is spread throughout the course...a steep climb, then some level or downhill, another climb, then some more recovery and so on. From the last climb at the top of trail #13, a rider could almost coast the whole mile and a half back to the main venue.We're gonna borrow a GPS to create a profile, but until after next week's Bigfoot Classic (gotta sleep sometime!).

It's a good mix of fireroad and twisty singletrack. You're gonna love it
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! Please share the GPS data as soon as you get it. The race is a fair drive for some of us, so stuff like this really helps with the planning since we can't do much pre-riding!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Course preparation

I need to get a battery for my computer to create a profile...

Anyway, the course "personality" is kind of a series of anaerobic efforts - nothing really long, recovery between every effort, but a series of grunts that strong riders will middle ring, weaker riders will granny and SSers will suffer through. 4 or 5 seperate climbs per lap, by my count. 4 or 5 short steep sections thrown in to make you hurt a little. You can do the course easily and with a smile, but to hammer it is gonna hurt a lot if you're not recovering from your hard efforts.

If I were serious I'd be doing hill repeats on relatively steep stuff (something like hurl hill at the Otter) maxing at maybe 5 minutes in length.

Was that helpful?