*Hey FC..MTBR is Primarily a Review Site for Bike Stuff, right? *Idea?*- Mtbr.com
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! *Hey FC..MTBR is Primarily a Review Site for Bike Stuff, right? *Idea?*

This is an idea I have been tossing around for some time now. I wanted to chat specifically with Francis about this, but I hope it's good enough to actually share with my peers here. FC can reply if he wants, or wait to see if this is going to be a good thing or a train wreck before putting his $ .02 in.

Here goes..

How about we add in an option to review respective entities that we are always dealing with? As in, not just brands, trails, parks, businesses, but also an opportunity to focus on the respective access governing bodies and districts?

In other words, seeing as we're all still griping about EBMud, EBRPD, etc, and I am pretty certain the issue is nationwide with people struggling sometimes, or often with their local entities, why not give us all a focal spot to b!tch about the entities.

Think about how much use something like that could be to independent groups, or even bigger groups like BTCEB, IMBA, MBOSC, etc.

You can goto your local meeting with a printout showing the issues are backed up and you can prove it. Most people are not always going to join an access group, but having been in retail for so long I guarantee that people are more than happy to complain online..if they have to join for a bike or part review, they'll also join (like yelp) to post about EBRPD. You then can make it a contingency of possible use of their information to contact them for signature purposes on measure proposals. Heck, you might even find they're willing to at least find a meeting or two to go to and voice their thoughts.

MTBR's Reviews and Forums, Yelp, and other sites are proof of that. This isn't a revolutionary idea, it does present a few minor inherent flaws, but if done correctly can be a completely viable tool, just as a customer list is to a bike shop.

mtbr member
    lol that'd be a huuuuge list of stuff with NO chillliiiies

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    lol that'd be a huuuuge list of stuff with NO chillliiiies
    I did say there'd be some inherent flaw(s). Weeding through the b.s. is something all of us do when looking at a review or researching on our own anyhow. I propose the idea b/c I'm personally hearing a lot of negative feedback from riders still, that since EBRPD has Measure WW passed that they are only doing what they should have been all along and this is a small placation with the recent trail openings.

I feel in some respect they're right, and I often try to get their info for future use. Just think of the exposure the issues and this site would get though if I could say the same thing I say about my Chris King ISO SS Hub.."Oh, yeah, I agree about the parks district, check out mtbr there's a spot there to put your feedback and review of the stuff we just talked about."

It's actually a pretty simple and effective option. Make a central point of public access, heck, maybe even IMBA could be the page sponsor, use it on a national level with local subcategories just like the trails page and roll with it.

I can do this with the nationally recognized club I belong to for 4wd's, why not with bikes? We just login to our page and there are the current things with links to the respective Blue Ribbion Coalition, etc pages. I know Passion is a forum here, but maybe we need an "Access" one too?
    Last edited by Obi; 08-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    It's not independent - it'll be skewed in the perception of the mountain bikers which will probably make it useless in the eyes of the board. Sure, we can have a bunch of complaints from mountain bikers but it won't be as effective as complaints from run-in-the-mill park goers.

Why don't you create a page for the EBRPD and EBMUD on yelp or another "independent" review site obi?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    It's not independent - it'll be skewed in the perception of the mountain bikers which will probably make it useless in the eyes of the board. Sure, we can have a bunch of complaints from mountain bikers but it won't be as effective as complaints from run-in-the-mill park goers.

Why don't you create a page for the EBRPD and EBMUD on yelp or another "independent" review site obi?
    Someone else actually tried just that and that specific entry was shut down. Likely something along the lines of it being a public entity not a business or whatever.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Someone else actually tried just that and that specific entry was shut down. Likely something along the lines of it being a public entity not a business or whatever.
    Dooooood! I haven't heard such an EXCITING idea since I can't believe it's not butter!

I mean, Flavio. And fake butter! What could be more exciting??

Well, rating mountain bike advocacy groups is definitely right up there with fake butter!

This is SO EXCITING!!!!!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Well, rating mountain bike advocacy groups is definitely right up there with fake butter!

This is SO EXCITING!!!!!
    *I think you are misunderstanding..I took time writing that and want to understand how someone could misinterpret or come to believe that, I chose my wording carefully, but maybe not enough? I am referring to rating the districts as far as usability.

In other words, as an example, right now I'd likely give EBRPD a "C/D" on that they are doing a little, but need to do more.

Get it? You could rate the respective bodies and post your issue in a public fashion like a bike review. The only thing an advocacy group would relate to this is they can find the info just as readily.

It's the "A squeaky wheel gets the oil" bit.

*Also, O/T, you gotta admit Fabio was a pimp in his day, ladies like the fake butter. Yes, it's Fabio(Lanzoni), not Flavio.

Man, this thread's facing a
    Last edited by Obi; 08-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.

ballbuster

wow, that is some accident

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    It mirror imaged all of the lettering on those train cars.

Members who have read this thread: 0