Trail Gnome

% of Bay Area MTB legal trails you actually want to ride?

Itís gotta be around 1% for me, how about you?

mtbr member
    Well, Emma McCrary and U-Conn are kind of necessary. I hit Demo a couple times a year.

So, 1%?

I'm really diggin it!
    I see what you did there...

mtbr member
    Iím a trail slut. Iíll ride anything.

Moderator Moderator
    You mean Skeggs, Montebello, Russian Ridge, Fremont Older etc and all the other trails that I didnít have to build, donít have to maintain, and can just show up and ride? I want to ride 100% of them.

mtbr member
    Since most of the legal "trails" are fire roads, I'm inclined to agree with the 1% number.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I can think of 19 legal trails at 5 locations that seem worth the trouble of loading up a bike and driving 20-60 minutes to the trailhead (22 trails if I count the Pacifica trails found on Trailforks--not sure if those are technically legal or not). I'd guess that's in the 2-5% range. There's also some trails in JMP and Tamorancho that I've never ridden, but I want to.

Edit: added up the distance for those 19 trails and got 27 miles. That's kindof sad.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I can think of 19 legal trails at 5 locations that seem worth the trouble of loading up a bike and driving 20-60 minutes to the trailhead (22 trails if I count the Pacifica trails found on Trailforks--not sure if those are technically legal or not). I'd guess that's in the 2-5% range. There's also some trails in JMP and Tamorancho that I've never ridden, but I want to.

Edit: added up the distance for those 19 trails and got 27 miles. That's kindof sad.
    That's a good metric. "Is it worth driving an hour to ride there?
    IPA will save America

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So about 12 years ago, I took a friend from Marin on my favorite South Bay singletrack. While stopped, we heard a big noise coming down the trail.

He jumped away from the trail and hid in the bushes. Turned out to be just another rider and I asked what he was doing. He said, "Sorry man, natural reaction. I thought it was a ranger and I thought we were on an illegal trail."

We had a good laugh and the story has stuck with me. And in a dozen years, not much has changed in terms of access.

Santa Cruz is starting to gain some ground though
    IPA will save America

Spin-stabilized
    Must rides for me: Coe, Rockville, Oathill, Napa Skyline - at least 80 miles of trails

Pretty good spots that I'd ride with a group: Skeggs, Lower Skyline (MROSD) trails, Demo, Tamarancho - about 70 miles

Stuff I've not ridden but would probably like: Mt Diablo foothills (Morgan Territory stuff), Pacifica - 15 miles (?)

So 165 miles out of maybe 650 more dirt miles = about 25%

Popular "Bay Area" trails in counties not actually touching the bay were excluded (Ord, Annadel, UC/Wilder)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So about 12 years ago, I took a friend from Marin on my favorite South Bay singletrack. While stopped, we heard a big noise coming down the trail.

He jumped away from the trail and hid in the bushes. Turned out to be just another rider and I asked what he was doing. He said, "Sorry man, natural reaction. I thought it was a ranger and I thought we were on an illegal trail."

We had a good laugh and the story has stuck with me. And in a dozen years, not much has changed in terms of access.

Santa Cruz is starting to gain some ground though
    It's called being 'trail shocked.'

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by glenj View Post
    Iím a trail slut. Iíll ride anything.
    Yep, me too. I need some ointment, because I ride it all. 100% all in for me. Mix in trips like Whole Enchilada, Magnificent 7, Tahoe/Truckee (6 or 7 weekends), Downieville (4 or 5 weekends), SLO. Pretty great rides on 20-25 weekend trips, add Perimeter of Bay Area like UCSC/Annadel/Napa/Angwin, all of a sudden I am riding some cool stuff all the time. Bay Area Singletrack after work or 2 times per month is great! I love it around here.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Oh, Seattle. I usually do a 3 day weekend in Seattle every fall. That place is awesome too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    So, no progress in single track access in the Bay Area over the past 3 decades.

mtbr member
    I was actually just thinking about this today after riding Henry Coe and wondering when the last time I did a fully legal trail ride in the Bay Area.

I would say Coe and Demo are the only places I would drive 30-60 minutes to go ride fully legal trails at in the Bay Area. Toro park too I guess, but every time I ride there I end up on non-sanctioned trails in addition to the legal ones.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Spot on RBoardman. I told my buddy today before ride, lets stay on legal. An hour later we were walking our bikes, having gotten a reprimand from Trail Volunteer, he had full vest and everything. We actually appreciate the volunteers, so we were super nice, and he was too. Its kinda funny.

NedwannaB
    Such the rebel you are griz! You're like the Finche Platt of the Northbay! :0
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Must rides for me: Coe, Rockville, Oathill, Napa Skyline - at least 80 miles of trails

Pretty good spots that I'd ride with a group: Skeggs, Lower Skyline (MROSD) trails, Demo, Tamarancho - about 70 miles

Stuff I've not ridden but would probably like: Mt Diablo foothills (Morgan Territory stuff), Pacifica - 15 miles (?)

So 165 miles out of maybe 650 more dirt miles = about 25%

Popular "Bay Area" trails in counties not actually touching the bay were excluded (Ord, Annadel, UC/Wilder)
    Sonoma County (Annadel) and Napa County (Oat Hill) both touch the bay. Annadel is closer to the bay than Coe, as the crow flies. But yeah, maybe 20% on an MTB, but throw in a gravel bike and it's 100%.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by talon02 View Post
    Sonoma County (Annadel) and Napa County (Oat Hill) both touch the bay. Annadel is closer to the bay than Coe, as the crow flies. But yeah, maybe 20% on an MTB, but throw in a gravel bike and it's 100%.
    I stand corrected. Usually I'm the guy giving geography lessons

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    You mean Skeggs, Montebello, Russian Ridge, Fremont Older etc and all the other trails that I didnít have to build, donít have to maintain, and can just show up and ride? I want to ride 100% of them.
    Huh? I guess if you like those type of trails, youíre fine.