To zee or not to zee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

To zee or not to zee

OK. My Avid Code R's are 2 years old and feel like crap. I have bled a few times, new pads, etc. and still not feeling great.

Are Zee's a considerable upgrade from the Codes? Would you do it? Or is it going to feel similar no matter what?
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Zees may require less maintenance and they should perform at an optimal level for a longer service life.
    Brake feel is different and the lever position is different.
    Not necessarily a big difference in power if both are set up properly and rotor size is the same.
    If you find Code Rs a hassle and don't like the results and performance you are getting from your bleeds and maintenance, you'll likely find Zees to be less hassle.
    I've never found properly set up Codes to lack power and good lever feel.
    However, once you start having repeated issues with Codes, the simplicity + performance of Shimano can be a good change to make.

mtbr member
    I had a set of the original codes. Ran them for 5 years and they are now sitting on my fathers bike. I picked up a set of Zees at the beginning of the year and have been using them quite a bit since. The codes definitely felt grabbier and more on off than the Zees (less modulation). However, I find the Zees require quite a bit more squeeze of the lever to lock the wheels than the codes did. I got sick of the codes not working on hot days, the lever would not return after applying the brakes. I believe there was a little plastic or delrin washer or piston in the master cylinder that would swell in the heat and bind in the bore of the cylinder. After dealing with it for a few years, I finally went to Shimano and haven't had any issues with them yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0