Yet another Avid Juicy 7 question- Mtbr.com
    President of the Internet

Yet another Avid Juicy 7 question

I've searched around but found no real answer to my question. I have Avid Juicy 7's that came on my 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert.

My problem is with the front 185 brake. It seems to have a sort of dead spot making the brake almost feel like an anti-lock brake on a car - where the brake is working normal then in one spot it loses some power then regains is again instantly.

This doesn't sound like the pulsing to me and I can't see any problem with the rotor.

I do have the Polygon rotors - so is this a rotor issue or a caliper issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Meh.
    That's pulsing.

Make sure the pads aren't grabbing the rotor arms. Make sure the pads aren't unevenly worn. Make sure the caliper is centered correctly.

If all of that is fine, have your LBS contact SRAM and get you a set of G2 Cleansweep rotors free of charge.

Hmmm... ok. I'll try the washer trick and see if that helps. The pad is braking on the upper, curved part of the rotor arms.

2 more questions:

1. If I get the G2 Cleansweep rotors, do I still need to do the washer trick?

2. What do you mean by "centered correctly"? I usually spin the wheel, apply the brake, then tighten each bolt incrementally.

Thanks!

Meh.
    Hard to say. Sometimes tolerances are just off a bit and you need to use the washers.

People seem to have a hard time centering calipers with the CPS washers. For some reason, they just can't get it square.

Thanks for the help

I had my LBS call SRAM and they are sending me new rotors (G2's I hope). I figure I might as well just get correctly made rotors on the bike rather than fool around with the other stuff. Thanks for the help. I hope the new rotors do the trick!

Members who have read this thread: 0