XTR rotor (RT97) with play in the rivets- Mtbr.com
    the catalan connection

XTR rotor (RT97) with play in the rivets

Hi,
    Just found that there is play in the rivets holding the steel ring with the spider together. Itīs the rear 160mm XTR rotor (see pic) I can feel it clearly when rocking the bike back and forth with the brake locked. The rivets have play.
    Being honest, other than the creacking noise when braking, I havenīt found any performance lost. But itīs really annoying.
    Anyone had this happen? Is there a fix, or shall I look for a warranty replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Meh.
    You can try to drip a small amount of teflon lube around the rivets/carrier and see if it quiets down. Otherwise... warranty.

Lightly grease the centerlock splines and make sure the adapter is tightened down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you actually have movement at the rivets, you need to replace the rotor.

A large portion of the strength of that connection is from the friction between the spider and rotor. You have lost that friction if there is movement and are now relying on the shear strength of the rivets. These were not engineered like a "floating" rotor.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Isn't that the high performence version with floating rotors??!
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    If you actually have movement at the rivets, you need to replace the rotor.

A large portion of the strength of that connection is from the friction between the spider and rotor. You have lost that friction if there is movement and are now relying on the shear strength of the rivets. These were not engineered like a "floating" rotor.

I didnīt think about that.Thanks gmcttr, rotor is already back for warranty replacement.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Members who have read this thread: 0