XTR or Magura Marta?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

XTR or Magura Marta?

Which is your recommendation and why - XTR or Magura Marta? Getting ready to put pieces together for new build of a HT 29'r. I am 200#. Thx.
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula

180/160 combination.
    Three reasons:
    Design, Power, Modulation, Best Service in the industry, weight, looks. Opps! That's more than three. Oh Well.

Cheers,

The Beast Breathes
    If you ever have to ask yourself a question that involves comparing brakes with Magura anything, your involuntary response should be to go with the Magura option.

Either way the XTR discs can be a real PITA almost all of the time.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    180/160 combination.
    Three reasons:
    Design, Power, Modulation, Best Service in the industry, weight, looks. Opps! That's more than three. Oh Well.

Cheers,
    I've got a set coming in the mail as we post. K-18's 180 Ft/160 R.
    Can't wait to gett'em on........

Takin'er easy
    Above anything esle, I would recommend Shimano XT brakes. They perform better for longer without the pesky master cylinder problems of the XTR or the Martas. Either that or the Marura Louise brakes.

To actually answer your question: go with the Martas over the XTR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've tried the XT's and thought they felt kind of characterless. Could be good or bad I guess, but they just felt ON or OFF in comparision tot he XTR's I was running at the time. I really like the XTR's - but they do have some annoying habits like rotor rub / noise for no good reason several times in the middle of most rides. I love the lever on the XTR's but, hey a lever is no reason to buy a brake in my opinion. I've just never ridden the Maguras. Andy two of the mechanics I've built bikes with in the last couple of years have steered me away - and now in the middle of another new bike build I am curious again. The brakes are virtually the same price, so no financial incentive to buy either. I will have to look into the Formulas - and I know there are a lot of Hope fans out there as well.
    bikeone

ups and downs
    I have an even split between XTR 970 series and Marta SL brakes on my bikes, 2 sets of each. The XTR have more pad retraction so they tend to be slower to react and can have more crap build up on the rotors. They don't seem near as powerful as the Martas once engaged.

I run the Marta's with the Performance pads (organic), they're quieter and more powerful with those pads. A lot of people seem to dislike the fact that the Martas make fast contact with rotor (very little lever travel) so they can feel on/off if you're not careful. But I find the Martas have lots of modulation once in contact with the rotors, specially with organic pads.

On a 29er a 180/160 would be the way to go.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    180 - 160 ! I was pretty happy with the 160 / 160 on my Sultan - the 180's will really be a noticeable improvement? !
    bikeone

ups and downs
    Unless you live some place very flat, you'll notice the difference with a 180 front rotor. More overall power and more modulation of stopping power.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I'm running XTR for the last 5 year, and it's feel like day one. Front 180mm, Rear 160mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Really when you come right down to it, Shimano in everyhting is pretty hard to beat. It's almost like a no brainer, just buy Shimano. But I always feel like I should expand my horizons and experience something different.
    bikeone

Members who have read this thread: 0